Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Behind the paywall - yes or no

Resisted so far but with the start of the season only two weeks away I’m starting to wonder if I should give in.. what do you lot think of the content  I’m missing out on ?

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

You won’t be missing out on much.

The journalism has gone right down the pan on here in recent years and most of the articles are available in the EDP and EEN to read for free anyway.

How do you read the articles in EDP and EEN for free ?   All I get is offers on a subscription those respective websites

3 minutes ago, city4eva said:

How do you read the articles in EDP and EEN for free ?   All I get is offers on a subscription those respective websites

Likewise. 

I too was wondering whether it’s worth it. Tbh I’m not sure as a lot of the reporting we can see is very much local journalism-by-numbers (often loterally, when it’s ‘4 things from this game’ or whatever).

I can never quite ‘get’ how strongly opposed people are to paying a couple of quid a month for the subscription. I appreciate it’s all about opinions, but I think the quality, regularity and volume of content is good (if a little regurgitative over pre season). I haven’t hyper-analysed what exactly is ‘additional’ but living in Northern Ireland I’m happy to support the Pink Un as I don’t get much other coverage and would hate to see it sink. If my contribution assists in keeping the message board operational as well, then that’s a bonus (kind of).

As for other podcasts, can’t stand TNC, really enjoy ACN and the Scrimmage and whilst Michael Bailey is probably the most eloquent and knowledgeable of the bunch, he seems to have disappeared and I find him a bit of an earache anyway.

Just my tuppence worth.

Edited by (Northern) Irish Canary

I've been a subscriber to the Pink Un from the start. I think it's good value.

No other news outlet offers anywhere near the same amount of coverage on all things NCFC.

• Like 1

It depends how much alternative access you have to Canary stuff via the social media etc and how close you are to other fans and their views. As an expat I find it useful, and particularly the minute by minute match coverage, and the regular Q&As, where Davitt et al tend to be more opinionated than in their columns.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

You won’t be missing out on much.

The journalism has gone right down the pan on here in recent years and most of the articles are available in the EDP and EEN to read for free anyway.

59 minutes ago, city4eva said:

My bad. It’s been so long since I’ve bothered to look at the local football stuff.

People who have it and feel there is anything needs discussing put it on here anyway!

Don't feel I've missed out at all.

I’ve recently succumbed to paying and don’t regret it.

Got fed up of being teased by the article headlines.

i actually think it’s decent value and I’m quite keen to try and support the local journalist covering Norwich (although do miss Michael Bailey).

As I don’t live in Norwich, reading the articles and this forum help me to still feel closer to the fan base.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rock bus said:

As I don’t live in Norwich, reading the articles and this forum help me to still feel closer to the fan base.

Reading stuff on this forum makes me feel closer to the looney bin 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

It depends how much alternative access you have to Canary stuff via the social media etc and how close you are to other fans and their views. As an expat I find it useful, and particularly the minute by minute match coverage, and the regular Q&As, where Davitt et al tend to be more opinionated than in their columns.

That stuff sounds more interesting. I've no interest in paying for the opinions of Roberts, Sutton et al as I really find ex players have much of interest to say.

I'll start paying subscription's when there's something to read about,  like NEW OWNERS  but nothing ever going to happen on that score, I seriously thought we were onto a winner when the Attanasio's suddenly appeared, but No more wind & p---

15 hours ago, king canary said:

That stuff sounds more interesting. I've no interest in paying for the opinions of Roberts, Sutton et al as I really find ex players have much of interest to say.

If you think Iwan's column is bad you should try reading his book! 

17 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I tried the free month trial but got bored with the repeated cliches and lack of an actual narrative. No one dares actually offer an opinion. 

It seems that the pinkun boys were invited to go on the preseason tour.

That simply suggests to me that the content produced will be sanitised.

20 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Resisted so far but with the start of the season only two weeks away I’m starting to wonder if I should give in.. what do you lot think of the content  I’m missing out on ?

You already pay for a season ticket that seems to make you utterly miserable. Don't chuck any more at it. Spend your money on something that makes you happy.

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think...

:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by nutty nigel
🎶🙃
  • Like 2

I think it's good value myself 

I like the match day stuff. If I'm not there or watching a stream it's easily the best coverage 

Plus Paddy's stuff and the tactical articles are good

Obviously some of it is not great but I find something to read almost every day

It's certainly better value than the Athletic for Norwich stuff as Michael Bailey has almost stopped posting anything 

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

It seems that the pinkun boys were invited to go on the preseason tour.

That simply suggests to me that the content produced will be sanitised.

I trialled last season.  There’s only so many times I can listen to their mics not working, WiFi problems, Connor describing things as “interesting” rather than expressing an opinion, or Paddy saying “individually and collectively” or any of his repertoire of cliches. 

I actually like them both. Just wish they’d get off the pot, expressed clear views/ insight/ criticisms (where warranted) and avoided the platitudes and cliches!

Yeh as noted the journalism has become lazy and poor over recent years.

Sub to the athletic if you want some decent football news granted its not going to be heavily looking at our club though 

Does anyone really want to pay for absolute carp served up by an extreme right wing think tank like Newsquest? How do the journalists manage to type with their right hands up in the air? 

PS a new second hand shop has opened in North Walsham.