3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Even then, the contact for the 'penalty' was minimal, albeit painful. 

I think they arrived at the right decision by the wrong means, with a very soft 'trip' cancelling out a foul that, whilst it was a foul, was not a clear and obvious error. 

It should've been a silent check and quick wave of play on, in my opinion. Not a four-minute stoppage.

She literally went studs up and scraped them down her shin - even if she didn’t intend to it was clumsy and a stone wall penalty.

28 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

She literally went studs up and scraped them down her shin - even if she didn’t intend to it was clumsy and a stone wall penalty.

It wasn't a penalty because of the foul by Russo in the build up, and it was a foul by Russo.

The Haiti player was booked for the challenge. They reached the correct outcome.

Hopefully quality improves as the tournament progresses, it should do. It needs to.

18 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It wasn't a penalty because of the foul by Russo in the build up, and it was a foul by Russo.

The Haiti player was booked for the challenge. They reached the correct outcome.

It wasn’t a trip was it, she didn’t trip 

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hopefully quality improves as the tournament progresses, it should do. It needs to.

The finishing has been atrocious.

Just now, Captain Holt said:

No, it was a foul. It was just tough to deal with the concept of a footballer staying on their feet after being fouled, having been so accustomed to the men's game.

Hitting the deck has never been a requirement for a foul to have occurred.

4 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Contact was made which unsettled the player 

2 hours ago, bringbackchippy said:

It's sh.t women's football getting far too much publicity 

Wasn’t a fan of todays game however women’s football is far from sh.t and its gets the publicity because it’s popular, no other reason 

• Like 1

A biological woman that isn't taking testosterone going to a women's championship isn't really a story. It's not like that Kiwi weightlifter or American swimmer that were allowed to cheat by the organisations running the sports.

Overall, despite a less than perfect performance, you can see why England are one of the best teams. From what I have seen, some of the football has been awful. Individually, some of the women are not athletic enough and do not seem to put in enough of the effort required to just simply control the ball.

• Like 1

Guess it depends how you look at it. 

The standard is dire if compared to men's football. But that holds true for rugby, cricket, and many more sports played by both.

In athletics very rarely are the two compared as its a given that the men are faster and stronger. Don't think I've ever heard people talk down the women's 100m champion despite obviously being slower than the men's champ. 

Tennis is probably the exception as I'd prefer to watch a women's match than a mens one.

Personally have zero interest in women's football and that's absolutely fine to say. We don't all need to pretend to like something that is nowhere near the level we enjoy each week. However those that do, fair play.

Would of course be fantastic if England achieve something and if they did I don't think anyone would be saying "yeah well stevie g and lamps would've run rings round them".

5 hours ago, Canario said:

Guess it depends how you look at it. 

The standard is dire if compared to men's football. But that holds true for rugby, cricket, and many more sports played by both.

In athletics very rarely are the two compared as its a given that the men are faster and stronger. Don't think I've ever heard people talk down the women's 100m champion despite obviously being slower than the men's champ. 

Tennis is probably the exception as I'd prefer to watch a women's match than a mens one.

Personally have zero interest in women's football and that's absolutely fine to say. We don't all need to pretend to like something that is nowhere near the level we enjoy each week. However those that do, fair play.

Would of course be fantastic if England achieve something and if they did I don't think anyone would be saying "yeah well stevie g and lamps would've run rings round them".

I agree with that. There is an element of the King's new clothes about womens football. There are too many people prepared to label its detractors as being misogynists for simply saying it's not very good. Sorry, but it isn't. 

I share your view on tennis, this year in particular I thought the male Wimbledon competition quite dull with one or two notable exceptions. Thank God for the young Spaniard. 

As for athletics, why on earth do we not have mixed relay races. It would attract a lot of new viewers and is the only way I can think of that men and women could compete against each other. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Saying the quality isn't as good is missing the point, I think. Although some of the play has been good and I find the women's game more honest and not as spoiled by gamesmanship. It doesn't always have to be excellent tika-taka play to be entertaining.

Let's face it, we often said last season that the lads looked a bit unfit and a bit apathetic. These women might be technically limited, but they're going all-in and they're competing on what is probably an unprecedented stage for them. Fair play to 'em, I say.

Edited by TheGunnShow

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Let’s be honest, it’s been pants so far. 

Yes, I've tried a couple of matches and not been able to watch more than 15 minutes - but worth remembering the early stages of Men's world cup has some really poor teams in it too.

Latter stages should be more watchable

Edited by hogesar

59 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I agree with that. There is an element of the King's new clothes about womens football. There are too many people prepared to label its detractors as being misogynists for simply saying it's not very good. Sorry, but it isn't. 

I share your view on tennis, this year in particular I thought the male Wimbledon competition quite dull with one or two notable exceptions. Thank God for the young Spaniard. 

As for athletics, why on earth do we not have mixed relay races. It would attract a lot of new viewers and is the only way I can think of that men and women could compete against each other. 

There are mixed relay races arent there?...

24 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yes, there are. It was a fitting way to finish an overall very confused post.

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I don't think so but 2 men and 2 women in the 4 x 100 would be brilliant to eatch

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Saying the quality isn't as good is missing the point, I think. Although some of the play has been good and I find the women's game more honest and not as spoiled by gamesmanship. It doesn't always have to be excellent tika-taka play to be entertaining.

Let's face it, we often said last season that the lads looked a bit unfit and a bit apathetic. These women might be technically limited, but they're going all-in and they're competing on what is probably an unprecedented stage for them. Fair play to 'em, I say.

The quality is the whole point. Many of the games I have watched has seen poor ball control for starters. And defenders clearing the ball cannot kick the ball far enough when under pressure. One or two have been sensible and just cleared into touch but that in itself makes the game look amateurish. And the goalkeepers for several countries look less than capable.

Certainly Germany, Japan, England and the US and Netherlands are the power houses and no doubt have far better choice of players, certainly more athletic, better coaching, better facilities and stronger and more competitive leagues to play in. Englnad have players in several countries.

I hope that the game flourishes for them and they all enjoy it but to me its like going to watch a play and its the amateur dramatics performing and not the professional actors.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The quality is the whole point. Many of the games I have watched has seen poor ball control for starters. And defenders clearing the ball cannot kick the ball far enough when under pressure. One or two have been sensible and just cleared into touch but that in itself makes the game look amateurish. And the goalkeepers for several countries look less than capable.

Certainly Germany, Japan, England and the US and Netherlands are the power houses and no doubt have far better choice of players, certainly more athletic, better coaching, better facilities and stronger and more competitive leagues to play in. Englnad have players in several countries.

I hope that the game flourishes for them and they all enjoy it but to me its like going to watch a play and its the amateur dramatics performing and not the professional actors.

Don't really agree with the notion that quality is the key point. It doesn't always have to be top-drawer quality to be entertaining. Ultimately as viewers, you go to be entertained by what is happening on the pitch. And I happen to think the odd occasional blunder or poor phase of play adds an element of the unexpected and keeps things spiced up.

54 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't think so but 2 men and 2 women in the 4 x 100 would be brilliant to eatch

It's been a thing since 2017. Though the 4x400 mixed is the one that has featured at the Worlds and Olympics.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

It's been a thing since 2017. Though the 4x400 mixed is the one that has featured at the Worlds and Olympics.

Thank you. How on earth did I miss that? 

On the quality thing. It is important, we watched Wrexham absolutely wipe the floor with LA Galaxy II on Saturday. One of the Galaxy fans said “I’d like to see the Galaxy (first team) play these guys, they would give them a game” 

That’s one of your top sides in the MLS might give a League 2 side a game…. Probably right and the reason that Wrexham won was they were physical (but fair), had a playing style that included running at defenders and generally outcompeted Galaxy II. 

Do I enjoy watching MLS if I go? No, for the same reason, it’s like watching poor quality international football. Do I enjoy watching women’s football? Not really, it’s just not my cup of tea . Maybe because like MLS it’s being overhyped as something it isn’t. But I can understand why others do watch and enjoy it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Don't really agree with the notion that quality is the key point. It doesn't always have to be top-drawer quality to be entertaining. Ultimately as viewers, you go to be entertained by what is happening on the pitch. And I happen to think the odd occasional blunder or poor phase of play adds an element of the unexpected and keeps things spiced up.

But I believe the poor quality is the norm for some of these teams. Of course it can be entertaining but I don't call poor play or ball control entertaining.

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What is the new athletics mixed relay event? (olympics.com)

As for the women's World Cup, the opening matches will be of a poor standard, as they are at any men's tournament. Once the chaff have been cleared, then the later rounds will be very competitive and very watchable.