*Semi official friendly match thread Linnets V Canaries*

Just now, Ulfotto said:

What on earth is everyones beef with Idah

Erm, is it that he's a little bit naff?

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Mainly that he's not Pukki or Sargent.

5 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

You don't "struggle for ability" for ****s sake. What a stupid phrase. 

I mean you've clearly never watched me try to anything art related. Struggle for ability is precisely the right phrase!

Seriously though, Idah is living off the fact he is big, and quick and strong. What has he ever done to suggest he can have any kindof decent career as a striker at any professional level? I know many of the appearances below have not been starts, but come on. 

image.png.131947d8a2905dfd66aaebcbb15beb03.png

image.png.307322422b49f4cffe1b8a290ba272f8.png

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It's the only beef Idah will get, as he couldn't hit a cows **** with a banjo.

Just now, kick it off said:

I mean you've clearly never watched me try to anything art related. Struggle for ability is precisely the right phrase!

Seriously though, Idah is living off the fact he is big, and quick and strong. What has he ever done to suggest he can have any kindof decent career as a striker at any professional level? I know many of the appearances below have not been starts, but come on. 

You don't struggle for talent. You either have it or you do not. Simple as. A professional footballer tends not to get into professional football teams without having some confidence. I don't care what some randomer named "RobJames" on an anonymous internet forum says. 

Confidence is something that does come and go and anyone watching Idah play can see he's lacking it. It's not a mutually exclusive thing either. You can be lacking in confidence and ability., 

4 minutes ago, kick it off said:

It's the only beef Idah will get, as he couldn't hit a cows **** with a banjo.

Exactly the sort of comment I'm talking about.

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

He's only played 2,786 minutes for the club, which works out at a goal every 3.1 matches for a full 90. It's not exactly dreadful considering he's still only 22.

1 minute ago, TheGoogler said:

You don't struggle for talent. You either have it or you do not. Simple as. A professional footballer tends not to get into professional football teams without having some confidence. I don't care what some randomer named "RobJames" on an anonymous internet forum says. 

Confidence is something that does come and go and anyone watching Idah play can see he's lacking it. It's not a mutually exclusive thing either. You can be lacking in confidence and ability., 

That's not true though, by definition you can struggle for something you don't have. Idah clearly has the physical tools but not the talent. Same as Placheta - just no footballing brain. Trying to make a career as a pro-footballer when you don't have the requisite level of ability/skills would be struggling for talent in my book. It's not a perfect turn of phrase but it's not indescipherable. 

Idah lacks confidence because he is masquerading as a footballer despite clearly not being good enough. If he was good enough, then he wouldn't lack confidence. You can't say he's been "lacking in confidence" for years at a time. You said yourself it comes and goes... so you surely therefore have to accept he's lacking in ability which is why he has never made an impact

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's only played 2,786 minutes for the club, which works out at a goal every 3.1 matches for a full 90. It's not exactly dreadful considering he's still only 22.

And as a comparison to Carlton Morris, who a lot of people are saying we should've kept, his record at the age of 25 when we sold him was 29 goals in just under 11,000, which works out one goal every 4.2 matches for a full 90. 

Idah's league minutes have all been at Premier League or Championship level as well, whereas Morris' were in League One, League Two and the SPL.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 3

I think we all have to realise that Idah is causing a lot of post time on here. So not everyone is wrong to query his ability or talent or confidence. I have my doubts. However I don't think a friendly 45 minutes is anything to judge him by. But I am not sure he will be starting for us in the EFL. Barnes and Sarge have more going for them.

As an aside, anyone remember Sergeant Barnes?

Tom Berenger as Sgt. Barnes in Oliver Stone's "Platoon" | Platoon movie ...

• Thanks 1

I know I criticised Idah earlier in this thread, but to be fair he wasn't the only player to have a poor second half. I thought Gibbs looked very rusty and not well suited to such a deep role, Hernandez had reverted to finding cul-de-sacs to run into and a comparison with Mumba and Rowe who are similar 'tricky' players would not flatter him, Sorensen didn't impose himself on the game in the way that Nunez had in the first half, and Tzolis was somehow peripheral to the game (as he often is). On the plus side, I thought Giannoulis looked excellent, but then he's a very strange player in that he tends to be either great or woeful, and the young defenders looked reasonably assured (admittedly against very poor opposition).

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I know I criticised Idah earlier in this thread, but to be fair he wasn't the only player to have a poor second half. I thought Gibbs looked very rusty and not well suited to such a deep role, Hernandez had reverted to finding cul-de-sacs to run into and a comparison with Mumba and Rowe who are similar 'tricky' players would not flatter him, Sorensen didn't impose himself on the game in the way that Nunez had in the first half, and Tzolis was somehow peripheral to the game (as he often is). On the plus side, I thought Giannoulis looked excellent, but then he's a very strange player in that he tends to be either great or woeful, and the young defenders looked reasonably assured (admittedly against very poor opposition).

To be fair, we don't know what the instructions were from DW at HT. Its sometimes difficult to change a whole side and recapture the momentum.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

That's not true though, by definition you can struggle for something you don't have. Idah clearly has the physical tools but not the talent. Same as Placheta - just no footballing brain. Trying to make a career as a pro-footballer when you don't have the requisite level of ability/skills would be struggling for talent in my book. It's not a perfect turn of phrase but it's not indescipherable. 

Idah lacks confidence because he is masquerading as a footballer despite clearly not being good enough. If he was good enough, then he wouldn't lack confidence. You can't say he's been "lacking in confidence" for years at a time. You said yourself it comes and goes... so you surely therefore have to accept he's lacking in ability which is why he has never made an impact

Wow. Just wow.

You cannot struggle for something you can't obtain. "The struggle for human rights", the "struggle for equality". Not "the struggle to be able to do something". Clearly many people vastly better qualified than you or I disagree that he doesn't have the ability. I have my doubts too. But I don't go online and claim he's "masquerading as a footballer" (what a ****ing ****ty thing to say about any player!) and making jokes about cows, or posting about how he's STILL not scored. 

He lacks confidence (something I thought was indisputable, that's been shown to be wrong by the usual reprobates on here doing so), is repeatedly targeted without fail by those on here and twitter and at Carrow Road and it astounds me that people think that's okay, and even if he has a half decent season, he's clearly the punching bag of so many so called fans. It's disgusting. 

23 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

You're the person who used the word "still" in his post. You're the one  putting expectation on him. You're the one now comparing him to other players in the squad. There's nothing strange about it. It's just **** behaviour from armchair fans. Yet another example of the need for our fanbase to scapegoat individuals. 

It's absolutely absurd the amount of pressure (oh look he's STILL not scored) that Idah gets, when his performance, output and work rate dwarfs the likes of Tzolis who seems to get none of the same treatment. 

Normally when people say stupid things the response is "Binner"

Yes I said "still" cuz we have been saying for 4 years ""lets HOPE Idah comes good this season" and he doesn't.

So I absolutely do have an expectation of him, as we keep giving him minutes ,and, even though he's only 22, he still fails to deliver. He's a striker, so his success is unfortunately based on goals

I've said on many occasions now imo the 5 year contract is a blessing and absolutely now is the best opportunity to send him on loan with "the expectation" (there I said it again) that he starts week in week out for a lower league club. Proper minutes and regular starts, not cameos, is the only way to help his confidence and see if he kicks on. I know the club rate him and with 5 years on the contract a season away might really benefit him, which is what we all want really

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think we all have to realise that Idah is causing a lot of post time on here. So not everyone is wrong to query his ability or talent or confidence. I have my doubts. However I don't think a friendly 45 minutes is anything to judge him by. But I am not sure he will be starting for us in the EFL. Barnes and Sarge have more going for them.

Fantastic film and what a cast - Defoe, Depp and Whittaker. Excellent 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

To be fair, we don't know what the instructions were from DW at HT. Its sometimes difficult to change a whole side and recapture the momentum.

True. And of course it was only a very early pre-season friendly. 

I'm nervous about this season because I have no idea at all how it is likely to go. The news about Sainz is a blow.

Just now, Samwam27 said:

Normally when people say stupid things the response is "Binner"

Yes I said "still" cuz we have been saying for 4 years ""lets HOPE Idah comes good this season" and he doesn't.

So I absolutely do have an expectation of him, as we keep giving him minutes ,and, even though he's only 22, he still fails to deliver. He's a striker, so his success is unfortunately based on goals

I've said on many occasions now imo the 5 year contract is a blessing and absolutely now is the best opportunity to send him on loan with "the expectation" (there I said it again) that he starts week in week out for a lower league club. Proper minutes and regular starts, not cameos, is the only way to help his confidence and see if he kicks on. I know the club rate him and with 5 years on the contract a season away might really benefit him, which is what we all want really

When people say stupid things I say they have said stupid things. And you have said stupid things.

How many games as a striker has he actually played? The large majority of his minutes have come either as a wide player or behind the likes of Sargent and Pukki. 

The suggestion he should be judged as a striker when he hasn't played as one is unfair.

8 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

When people say stupid things I say they have said stupid things. And you have said stupid things.

How many games as a striker has he actually played? The large majority of his minutes have come either as a wide player or behind the likes of Sargent and Pukki. 

The suggestion he should be judged as a striker when he hasn't played as one is unfair.

So is the 5 year contract because of what he has contributed or what is expected of him?

Edited by keelansgrandad

A player needs a role (unless, perhaps, he is so talented that he creates the role for himself, but those players are very rare). The only time Idah has had a clear role at NCFC is probably the two or three games under Smith when he worked as a kind of target man for long balls when other players could pick up the pieces from his headed flicks. It suited him (I can't believe I am praising Smith - it is the first and last time, I promise you!). At the moment I can see Tzolis - IMO, a much more talented player than Idah - going the same way. He has no clear role and often looks lost in games.

Because by the end of last season no one had a clear role other than Gunn. It's fair enough to criticise a player for laziness or arrogance, but I agree it's unfair if he is being asked to do things which don't fit his ability or he is simply not being given clear instructions about what is expected of him. Our team became shapeless under Smith and we need to find a shape quickly. Then we see which players suit that shape and which don't, and hopefully move on after two disastrous seasons.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Death ? What do y'all know about death ?

3 hours ago, pete said:

Louis Thompson looking good for Stevenage at St Neots, no stream to complain about.

Forgot to comment on this - not sure on stevenages new kit 

ahh right. 6-1 win but still one player has to be a scapegoat.

Imagine going to work and everyday you got bollocked for not being better????

I'm surprised many on here make it to the next day!

Nothing to really read into as it's preseason against such a poor opponent.

Stephen (King's Lynn owner) done a great job with the hospitality all things considered, Stuart was in attendance with a couple others and good to talk with. 

On the pitch most judgements are pointless in pre season especially at this point but Gibbs and Sorensen gave the ball away more times in this friendly than you'd like in 3 league matches.

Idah looked the least sharp of the attacking players.

Tzolis has definitely trimmed. Despite not rating him was really good with the kids etc asking for photos and autographs, as were all the players to be fair. 

Enjoyed the game even though it was early preseason. I actually thought Idah looked sharp. He really does have the potential to be a top striker. Hope we can build the fitness. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

Enjoyed the game even though it was early preseason. I actually thought Idah looked sharp. He really does have the potential to be a top striker. Hope we can build the fitness. 

Given 3 out of 10 in the EDP match ratings. Doesn't suggest that they agree with you.

1 hour ago, Unthink road said:

Sarcasm? 😏

4 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Beef with Idah, fried rice and some prawn crackers please.

On 08/07/2023 at 17:53, kick it off said:

I really don't understand how you can be so disparaging about another human being. Would you tell one of your pupils they are masquerading as a student of whatever subject it is you teach if they were struggling?  Idah, who has had several injuries as well as still being young and still learning how best to use what he has, should be encouraged....like I hope you are with your students.