Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Struggle to sell

There is no debate that it is a downgrade in terms of player. They might make a better team- hopefully- but in terms of value and talent we have gone from top champs to mid table signings. Barnes < Pukki. Duffy < Omo. Stacey < Aarons. Sainz < Rashica - big downgrade on paper and so far no CDM or exciting player inĀ 

38 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i think the reason i feel like the squad is downgrading is the players we have signed have no resale value or potential a part from Sainz

we are selling the younger players and replacing them with older pro'sĀ 

fine for the short term but longer term Gibbs / Sarge are the only ones left with Growth in future priceĀ 

Rowe

Gibbs

Omobamidele

Tzolis

Mumba

Sainz

Idah

McCallum

Nunez

Sargent

Sara

Are all under 24 and in-and-around the first team squad.

Ā 

Of the players we have signed this window:

Ā 

Duffy and Barnes are over 30.

Stacey is 27

MainzĀ is 22

Reyes is 19

Forsyth is 16.

Ā 

So this new rhetoric that we are selling young players and only signing old players with no resale value or potential is completely made up in people's heads. It's weird.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Rashica must be sold atĀ as little loss as possible, considering he was one of the best players for his team during his loan. If in Turkey they can't afford him, urgently need another club anywhere that can.

All the other players at least have a desire to be at NCFC, but Milot does not want to be with us.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Rowe

Gibbs

Omobamidele

Tzolis

Mumba

Sainz

Idah

McCallum

Nunez

Sargent

Sara

Ā 

Ā 

Stacey is 27

MainzĀ is 22

Reyes is 19

Forsyth is 16.

Ā 

So this new rhetoric that we are selling young players and only signing old players with no resale value or potential is completely made up in people's heads. It's weird.

Ā 

Ā 

It fits their agenda tho to moan and whinge and whine that we are not winning the Premier League. And point theĀ finger at some who according to them, sit on the arses all day counting their money.

I wonder if one reason we are finding hard to get a replacement for Webber is because potential candidatesĀ have had a read of this forum?

Its football. It has its ups and its downs, always has and always will.

Watch Citeh fans start moaning once Pep moves on and they are suddenly not winning three trophies a season.

Ā 

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

i think the reason i feel like the squad is downgrading is the players we have signed have no resale value or potential a part from Sainz

fine for the short term but longer term Gibbs / Sarge are the only ones left with Growth in future priceĀ 

We just have to hope it works out. After all we have seen that old tale time and time again of teams being relegated and replacing all their valuable players with old duffers and krooked players and then spending countless years stuck in a championship midtable limbo

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Its West Ham. Calling it. Hope he does well, model pro.

Omo on the other hand.. Needs a loan more than a sale.

So with Hanley injured you'd go withĀ  just GibsonĀ and Duffy?Ā 

Omo has impressed in the Premier League and has had international call-ups. Who would you suggest we loan in to, a League One club? That would really help this development.

We may sell if the price is right and we can get a replacement but a loan is nonsensical.

Ā 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

All the other players at least have a desire to be at NCFC, but Milot does not want to be with us.

I think Rashica's disposition is probably a lot closer to the rest of the squad than people like to make out. Most, if not all, would jump at the chance to move up in the football world.Ā 

If Hernandez was a better football player do you think he'd be so in love with Norwich City? If he scores 20 goals next season and a top division and more moneyĀ comes calling do you think he's sticking around? Probably not.

The thought that Omobamidele needs a loan is pretty funny. If he gets his big Italian move then a loan to another SerieĀ A (or even b) side could make sense but if he remains here then we absolutelyĀ have to play him every week.

• Like 1

On omo am I alone in thinking the whole 20m rumour was a message to other clubs that all our players are available but we won't let them go cheap?Ā  Ā I am, oddly,Ā increasingly confident that he will be here at the start of the seasonĀ 

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Rowe

Gibbs

Omobamidele

Tzolis

Mumba

Sainz

Idah

McCallum

Nunez

Sargent

Sara

Ā 

Ā 

Stacey is 27

MainzĀ is 22

Reyes is 19

Forsyth is 16.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Sorry Hog you know i am not good at making myself clear !

i was not very Clear in meaning growth i did meanĀ into a player worth a lot of money e.g 10 mil plusĀ 

Like it was when we had Godfrey / Aarons / Maddison / Emi / Lewis / Cantwell / Pukki

not all sold for big money but if we had cashed in when interest or put up for sale would have been 10 mil plusĀ 

Aarons when the big clubs wanted him and pukki when he was smashing them in were worth the big moneyĀ 

Cantwell before he had a fall out etcĀ 

Out of your list the Sara and Nunez i forgot aboutĀ And i did not put in Andy O as likely to be sold leaving Gibbs and Sarge as the most likely to grow into 10 million plus playersĀ 

but i can not see any of the others going for big money say 10 million plus Tzolis for sure ,

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We just have to hope it works out. After all we have seen that old tale time and time again of teams being relegated and replacing all their valuable players with old duffers and krooked players and then spending countless years stuck in a championship midtable limbo

But we've not done that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Sorry Hog you know i am not good at making myself clear !

i was not very Clear in meaning growth i did meanĀ into a player worth a lot of money e.g 10 mil plusĀ 

Like it was when we had Godfrey / Aarons / Maddison / Emi / Lewis / Cantwell / Pukki

not all sold for big money but if we had cashed in when interest or put up for sale would have been 10 mil plusĀ 

Aarons when the big clubs wanted him and pukki when he was smashing them in were worth the big moneyĀ 

Cantwell before he had a fall out etcĀ 

Out of your list the Sara and Nunez i forgot aboutĀ And i did not put in Andy O as likely to be sold leaving Gibbs and Sarge as the most likely to grow into 10 million plus playersĀ 

but i can not see any of the others going for big money say 10 million plus Tzolis for sure ,

Yeah I think I get you.Ā 

I think Omo / Nunez / Sara / Sargent / Gibbs all have a chance of being 10 mill plus players, so we're not that far away from the period where you listed 7, over a period of a couple seasons rather than just one!

It looks very similar to me.Ā 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think Rashica's disposition is probably a lot closer to the rest of the squad than people like to make out. Most, if not all, would jump at the chance to move up in the football world.Ā 

If Hernandez was a better football player do you think he'd be so in love with Norwich City? If he scores 20 goals next season and a top division and more moneyĀ comes calling do you think he's sticking around? Probably not.

I'd rather have "old Burnley-like"Ā players that want to be at the club and play their guts out for the team, than CR7 and Messi with the "I can't be arsed to play for this ****ty club" attitude.

YMMV.

Edited by mrD66M
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Rowe

Gibbs

Omobamidele

Tzolis

Mumba

Sainz

Idah

McCallum

Nunez

Sargent

Sara

Ā 

Ā 

Stacey is 27

MainzĀ is 22

Reyes is 19

Forsyth is 16.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Must have missed the announcement of Mainz signing! Lol

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Rowe

Gibbs

Omobamidele

Tzolis

Mumba

Sainz

Idah

McCallum

Nunez

Sargent

Sara

Ā 

Ā 

Stacey is 27

MainzĀ is 22

Reyes is 19

Forsyth is 16.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Nah just the usual suspects copying, pasting and adding a few different names to their posts from the last 5 or 6 seasons.

Should we sell Aaronā€™s for really good money the same posters will be saying we have no ambition and should not have sold.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm not saying he's a useless player

I am. He's absolutely useless for us. It's not a lack of technical ability, he's just absolutely devoid of awareness and vision. The number of times he received the ball in an offensive transition and failed to play the simple pass to exploit an overload...

He would alway try to run with the ball rather than slip it through to an unmarked player. The worst possible signing at the time with the only redeeming quality being that he's been several thousand miles away from the first team.

Suspect Rashica will be first followed by Aaronā€™s after his international duties complete. Will be interesting who comes in for Andy O. Remarkably quiet on the rumour front in and out.

3 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Better quality of life for a footballer to live in Istanbul rather than Norwich as well.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I am. He's absolutely useless for us. It's not a lack of technical ability, he's just absolutely devoid of awareness and vision. The number of times he received the ball in an offensive transition and failed to play the simple pass to exploit an overload...

He would alway try to run with the ball rather than slip it through to an unmarked player. The worst possible signing at the time with the only redeeming quality being that he's been several thousand miles away from the first team.

Don't sit on the fence! Tell us what you really think šŸ˜„Ā 

19 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

That only works if you forget the huge inbalance in our squad and how the majority of them are under 23.

In fact, the departures so far has actually meant those older players coming in are almost rebalancing that.

Duffy is almost a Hanley replacement due to his injury.

Barnes is a Pukki replacement.

Stacey is younger than Byram.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ZLF said:

On omo am I alone in thinking the whole 20m rumour was a message to other clubs that all our players are available but we won't let them go cheap?Ā  Ā I am, oddly,Ā increasingly confident that he will be here at the start of the seasonĀ 

Of course it was. He's a decent player (with some obvious flaws), but he's not worth remotely close to Ā£20m.

A lot of Omobamidele's value will be tied up in potential and what where a potential suitor sees him in 3 or 4 years. He has a lot of the attributes clubs are looking for in a modern central defender. He's alsoĀ a better defender than Ben Godfrey was at his age and we sold Godfrey for 25+.Ā 

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

A lot of Omobamidele's value will be tied up in potential and what where a potential suitor sees him in 3 or 4 years. He has a lot of the attributes clubs are looking for in a modern central defender. He's alsoĀ a better defender than Ben Godfrey was at his age and we sold Godfrey for 25+.Ā 

Ben Godfrey is not a good defender now. While he has many fine attributes, actual defending is not really one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

That only works if you forget the huge inbalance in our squad and how the majority of them are under 23.

In fact, the departures so far has actually meant those older players coming in are almost rebalancing that.

Duffy is almost a Hanley replacement due to his injury.

Barnes is a Pukki replacement.

Stacey is younger than Byram.

i think what i was trying to say younger players we had in the past were lisa a isa savings accountĀ 

we always had a player to cash in on if the club needed it badly,

they are running out only really Sarge ,Nunez ,Gibbs and Sara After Andy O and Aarons leaveĀ 

i think you are right about the older pro's something that was needed but we as a club it would be nice to get some more savings plan type players we can build into big money transfers againĀ 

Isnā€™t the plan that those types can be signed after sales are made? Webber spoke of reinvesting in the squad at that stage with a pretty heavy hint weā€™d be looking in South America again

On 03/07/2023 at 10:28, cambridgeshire canary said:

Its West Ham. Calling it. Hope he does well, model pro.

Omo on the other hand.. Needs a loan more than a sale.

Needs to play and ideally alongside a fit Duffy!Ā 

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

Isnā€™t the plan that those types can be signed after sales are made? Webber spoke of reinvesting in the squad at that stage with a pretty heavy hint weā€™d be looking in South America again

Yes to early to say really Window is not closed ,

to be honest the signings so far have been good ,

few players that are younger but can play now with Potential to get better and i think it will be a good summer ,

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

i think what i was trying to say younger players we had in the past were lisa a isa savings accountĀ 

we always had a player to cash in on if the club needed it badly,

they are running out only really Sarge ,Nunez ,Gibbs and Sara After Andy O and Aarons leaveĀ 

i think you are right about the older pro's something that was needed but we as a club it would be nice to get some more savings plan type players we can build into big money transfers againĀ 

At the moment, there isn't a clear message on the clubs direction, ie are we (supposedly) still giving opportunity to players and helping them develop like we did Godfrey and Aarons etc.Ā  Ā Ā 

The only way we can realistic do that is to play our own players, take a patient approach which means building a good enough team rather than striving for promotionĀ and stop loaning in / developing other teams players like Ramsey,Ā Skipp, Williams etc...Ā  Ā I'm all for that development and patient approach.Ā  Seems the only way when we haven't got the money but you can't develop players and push for promotions at the same time.Ā  Ā  Most on here can't see that mind.Ā 

I don't think we should be broadcasting that we will sell them so easily either.... players should be grateful for the opportunities they are given and be loyal as a consequence of that.Ā Ā  The older pro's should be brought in to help the development which I hope is the case and ours are hardly going to set the EPL alight if we got promoted.Ā  Ā 

Edited by ged in the onion bag

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

Interesting that Burnley signed more than 10 players from Europe last summer, some pretty good ones too and cheap, yet we seem to be looking solely in South America!Ā  Ā