Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Interesting nugget from Webber.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, if he can't take on basic information how on earth can he be successful in any modern team? Under Wagner if we are going to high press it needs to be measured and intelligent and at the right time based on the right triggers.

He’s played for Poland with Levandoski  (can’t spell it) so must know something!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I think we'll want to invest into other areas of the pitch and out wide we have Tzolis, Rowe, Onel, Mumba - PP being an international player is one of the few we could get money for.

Hope he stays as I think there's a very good player in there, but I just can't see us going with 5-6 wide men this season, and I don't think he's aggressive enough to suit Wagners style either.

He won't be here because he's just another dud signed by a busted flush of a Sporting Director whose narcissism means he has to find something else to justify his failings.

He's no different to me playing pool on my lunch hour. If I miss a straightforward cut to the middle it's because the jaw played funny. Webber signs crap and it's because of some unforeseeable factor that was absolutely not his fault.

The reality is, I'm just **** at pool.

• Like 1

Just now, canarydan23 said:

He won't be here because he's just another dud signed by a busted flush of a Sporting Director whose narcissism means he has to find something else to justify his failings.

This thread is about Webber talking of his failings, and what has been learnt from a data driven approach to signings.  I can't see what's so narcissistic about that, personally.  But it reads as though you're a kernel looking for an excuse to pop on the subject.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Someone coming in for him is as “relatively unlikely” as me and Beyoncé having a burger  in the Murderers  next Friday.  

I guess I'm off the the Murderers next Friday just incase ! Burgers on me! 

1 hour ago, Myra Hawtree said:

He’s played for Poland with Levandoski  (can’t spell it) so must know something!

This is the main point here, not Webber's ****. If the Polish national team can get a performance out of him, then the fact Norwich can't is the source of failure, not the player. Yes, sometimes it takes a bit of extra effort to get just reward, smacks here of Norwich coaching staff passing the buck.  

You can pretty much hear the dial-up tone start when he tries to remember the tactical instructions beyond run and kick. It's not really a surprise.

In defence of Webber in this case- which I know you aren't meant to do, darling- he says elsewise in the podcast that data couldn't possibly account for the impact of Gabriel Sara's dogs getting moved over from Brazil. Quite pivotal apparently, 

39 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

This is the main point here, not Webber's ****. If the Polish national team can get a performance out of him, then the fact Norwich can't is the source of failure, not the player. Yes, sometimes it takes a bit of extra effort to get just reward, smacks here of Norwich coaching staff passing the buck.  

And the head coach at the time was St Daniel of Farke.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Said before, Placheta's one of those where he has to keep it very simple as he seems to get caught in several minds. He really struggled against two very deep-lying banks of four in Farke's second Championship-winning season as he's not a twisty, tricky dribbler in tight spaces like Hernandez - and trying to hit Pukki with a cross is like trying to hit Vanessa Feltz's G-spot.

I still think his speed/presence could be very useful in a high-pressing team provided the rest of the attacking unit goes up with him to cut out simple out-balls. If he turns it over or is up in the attack that turns it over, he'd be up against a more disorganised defence, which in theory should make it much easier for him to get the right pass or indeed get inside and shoot as he should be able to bomb on into space.

It's telling that Webber called it a mistake though.

Interesting analogy about Vanessa feltz lol

Placheta is basically a Polish Tony Daley.  Great if you are hitting channel balls for him to run on to but whoever thought he would be suitable for a Farke managed team with patient build up prioritising ball retention needs their head examining.

That said, in a different tactical set up he could be a weapon of sorts.  Just not here.

As much as I am a Webber fan, it’s time for him to leave.

Having a pop at a current player for your failings is not the way to go about things. 

The sad reality is, we’ve signed worse players than Placheta, but they are all swept under the carpet.

Placheta wasn’t our worst performer by a mile last season and we probably had a higher outlay of cash on Gilmour than Placheta. let’s face it, Gilmour was signed off a couple of performances!

51 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

As much as I am a Webber fan, it’s time for him to leave.

Having a pop at a current player for your failings is not the way to go about things. 

The sad reality is, we’ve signed worse players than Placheta, but they are all swept under the carpet.

Placheta wasn’t our worst performer by a mile last season and we probably had a higher outlay of cash on Gilmour than Placheta. let’s face it, Gilmour was signed off a couple of performances!

You seem to have skipped a season - as far as I know Placheta didn't make a single appearance for us last season. He was on loan to Birmingham and even then only played 5 games.

Webber is saying that stats and data are not helpful when assessing a player's mentality. The problem I have with Placheta is that data or no data he has been largely useless.

9 hours ago, Google Bot said:

This thread is about Webber talking of his failings, and what has been learnt from a data driven approach to signings.  I can't see what's so narcissistic about that, personally.  But it reads as though you're a kernel looking for an excuse to pop on the subject.

Here was me thinking it was a thread about comments Webber made on a podcast. Comments in which he throws an existing, contracted player under the bus.

Stick a kernel in a microwave and there's only one thing it can do.

We will just add it to fans, the structure, other team's money, Farke and all the other stuff Webber wants us to believe are to blame for his abject failures in the last couple of years.

The guy needs to be given a spade and so e daffodil bulbs urgently. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

You seem to have skipped a season - as far as I know Placheta didn't make a single appearance for us last season. He was on loan to Birmingham and even then only played 5 games.

Webber is saying that stats and data are not helpful when assessing a player's mentality. The problem I have with Placheta is that data or no data he has been largely useless.

Haha July 1st is my new season begins deadline! 

Either way, he hasn’t been great, but to single him out is a bit harsh and the fact he is still at the club is a proper slap in the face. Hopefully it lights a fire in him and three years later we get some good performances! (Probably won’t happen though ) 

How fast an attacking player can run without the ball is completely irrelevant at professional level, it's about the speed you can carry the ball with at your feet and if you have the technique to beat defenders. Placheta carries the ball no faster than someone like Dowell or Cantwell did and doesn't have their technique either, he'd beat Onel in a footrace but Onel is much more dangerous because he's quicker with the ball at his feet. 

It would be strange if we signed him purely on the top speed he can reach and if nobody went and watched him actually play. I know Covid was a thing back then but surely there would have been scouting videos around that would show you that he isn't very dangerous with the ball. Maybe they thought they could coach it into him I dunno.

We do need a couple more wingers though and hopefully some who are more skillful with an ability to beat a defender like Hernandez instead of players who can just run fast but lack technique like Placheta or Rashica because we'll need to attack teams quickly if we win the ball back by pressing. We're not going to be sitting deep and knocking long balls over the top so I see raw speed as pretty irreverent for us, not to mention professional defenders really won't be getting caught out with simple long balls over the top very often, if they did professional clubs would be lining up to offer contracts to the worlds best sprinters. 

We're not Man City, we have to take risks with players and it'll be 50/50 as to whether or not they succeed. For every PP there's a Pukki, we just have to accept that we get it wrong occasionally.

• Like 1

The amount of people saying Placheta could work in a different system etc…

have you literally ever seen him play? He is the most stereotypical of all the quick wingers I’ve ever seen. Decent pace but no idea what to do with the ball. Terrible decision maker and there is no hope for him at Norwich or anywhere outside of somewhere like his homeland.

When you recruit using data as your main driver with the resources we have, you have to accept that most players you sign based on numbers aren’t going to make it. The real surprise is the two or three out of, say, ten, that do. 

Also, he’s hardly a regular for Poland. I wouldn’t mind betting he’ll never play for them again.

Edited by Captain Holt

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Here was me thinking it was a thread about comments Webber made on a podcast. Comments in which he throws an existing, contracted player under the bus.

Stick a kernel in a microwave and there's only one thing it can do.

We will just add it to fans, the structure, other team's money, Farke and all the other stuff Webber wants us to believe are to blame for his abject failures in the last couple of years.

The guy needs to be given a spade and so e daffodil bulbs urgently. 

Good proportion of fans on here should be absolutely delighted.

They were calling for Webber to admit all the transfers were a failure back in January, in the middle of the season ,with current players that are playing. 

There was me thinking stats were the be all and end all of all things football but obviously not in the case of Placheta.

Placheta was very raw when we signed him and the club was essentially backing themselves to improve him enough that he could be a quality player. Also he was signed out of Poland the window before the brexit work permit rules came into effect. I suspect that was us trying to get in early on him before a true possible breakout (or we hoped that would come with us). 

Overall the move didn't work out but it's a good example of how important it is to do the work surrounding a player's personality and attitude as they can be just as important as their ability.

Did Webber say this with some humility that it was a failure in recruitment for not looking at characteristics beyond the physical? Or did he state it matter of factly, and just one of those things that happen?

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

It was a webinar, not a podcast, and If you truly think this was him throwing a player under the bus I suggest you watch it instead of drawing mighty conclusions from bitesize, second-hand quotes of others.

It's very clear that the point being made is that data does not cover the ability of a player to settle and learn in a new environment.

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It was a webinar, not a podcast, and If you truly think this was him throwing a player under the bus I suggest you watch it instead of drawing mighty conclusions from bitesize, second-hand quotes of others.

It's very clear that the point being made is that data does not cover the ability of a player to settle and learn in a new environment.

Unless you're telling me that he didn't say that they signed a player who couldn't take on information and learn anything, before making it quite obvious who that player was, then I don't need the context to know that's an idiotic thing for a SD to say about an existing, contracted player.

Idiotic. But for Webber, not in the tiniest bit surprising.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Unless you're telling me that he didn't say that they signed a player who couldn't take on information and learn anything, before making it quite obvious who that player was, then I don't need the context to know that's an idiotic thing for a SD to say about an existing, contracted player.

It was a webinar conducted by Sports Data Campus as a class that you could privately sign up for, the idiot is in someone like Bethnal sharing this information into the public domain, it's a ****ty thing to do really as serves no positivity.

And again, to keep coming back to this, the point being made is that as great as the data is it does not explain the ability of a player to settle in a new country.  Hence the reference to Sara and his dog, also.

I think even PP could grasp this concept quicker than you! :classic_cool:

Edited by Google Bot

14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It was a webinar conducted by Sports Data Campus as a class that you could privately sign up for, the idiot is in someone like Bethnal sharing this information into the public domain, it's a ****ty thing to do really as serves no positivity.

And again, to keep coming back to this, the point being made is that as great as the data is it does not explain the ability of a player to settle in a new country.  Hence the reference to Sara and his dog, also.

I wonder how quickly someone could grasp the concept of making the point that solid performance data doesn't give you any insight into the ability of a player to settle without being overtly derogatory about an existing player and potentially devaluing an asset? Seems a pretty simple thing to do, doesn't it?

Booo Webber, f*ck off with your honesty!

Bring back Doncaster so we can..

Booo Doncaster, f*ck off with your bland cliché commercial comments toeing the party line, we're football fans just give it to us straight ffs! BOOOOO 

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Booo Doncaster, f*ck off with your bland cliché commercial comments toeing the party line, we're football fans just give it to us straight ffs! BOOOOO 

I know right. It's such a shame there isn't anything in between meaningless media-trained platitudes and throwing your players and supporters under the bus.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I wish he would fűçķ off. I'm sick of listening about the  tales of a con man. AND you hoggy 3 sets , told you,  you were a big girls 👚 blouse.  Five sets minimum, 💪 **** 🐈😻🐈️. 🤗

Webber /NUGGET means "Stupid Person," 

Edited by Mengo

"I know you might be interested in buying my car, the engine is fantastic, 0-60 in under 5 seconds, but it only goes in straight lines, the handlings knackered and although the lights do turn on, nobody is at home.

What do you mean you'll only give me £100? I said 0-60 in under 5..."

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I wonder how quickly someone could grasp the concept of making the point that solid performance data doesn't give you any insight into the ability of a player to settle without being overtly derogatory about an existing player and potentially devaluing an asset?

You writing lyrics for Eminem or something there? :classic_tongue:

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

So a webinar that anyone can sign up to for free is not in the public domain?! Think it’s harsh in the extreme to criticise Bethnal for sharing this info..