Feedthewolf

The Lion & Castle: opening 21st July

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/cheers-new-pub-at-carra-rud

We’re calling time on the old Lower Barclay bar and opening a great new pub at Carrow Road – a place for supporters to enjoy getting together with family and friends before and after the game and for everyone in Norfolk to enjoy.

The Lion & Castle pub launches on Friday, July 21 and mixes the club’s heritage with the need for a bright, welcoming local pub. It will serve craft beers and the club hope it will appeal to everyone, not just football fans.

Norwich City fans have been heavily involved in its design and Along Come Norwich co-founder Jon Punt said: “We were delighted to be asked for our input, which has included providing feedback on designs and even one of our group offering a suggestion to name the pub, which the club really liked and ran with.

"We have often thought the current space could be more comfortable and welcoming and should be a nice place to visit before and after the game for good beer and food, while also being able to be used by the wider community throughout the week. We think the design really achieves that. The club say they will open it up to some away fans after the game, which is great - Norwich fans are a friendly bunch towards most away fans, we have much more in common than that which divides us.

“We also really wanted to get a better beer offer and the club has laid on lots more craft beers and different lagers and made some changes which will speed up ordering at half-time. So I hope everyone really enjoys the Lion & Castle."

The pub has bigger, better, brighter TV screens – and many more of them, so you can watch other matches or sports events in comfort. But it also has the neat touches you’d expect from a club that has Onel Hernandez on its books. Like our two Beer Walls, aka WonderWalls. They’re a heavenly sight: a whole wall of beers where you simply pay by card and pull your own pint. And we’re proud to announce the launch of our own premium lager; The Lion & Castle.

The bar will hold over 600 and will be opened at 3pm on Friday, July 21 by Norwich City fan and absolute legend, Stephen Fry. It’s going to be a helluva party and we want you to be there!

All fans are invited to the launch on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets for the launch (from 2.30pm onwards) cost £4 (redeemable for a drink at the bar), while entry after the main launch event (from 5pm onwards) is free and no tickets are required. To get your tickets once on sale, please visit our ticket office page here or visit our dedicated Lion and Castle page here for full FAQs.

Tickets will go on sale to the Lower Barclay on Monday, June 26. Please note you must be logged into your OneCity account to access tickets in advance. General sale will commence on Wednesday, June 28.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm glad it mentions better beer. The current choice on a matchday is abysmal and has been for years

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I'm glad it mentions better beer. The current choice on a matchday is abysmal and has been for years

Absolutely. Let's hope that they don't still think East Coast IPA is proper 'craft beer'... 😉

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Hopefully it'll be local stuff. I've always felt that football clubs should use local suppliers for food and drink at the ground to boost the local economy and strengthen links between the club and the community. 

• Like 7

I think a pint of "shareholder's legacy" should be available. 

Not sure if if would be a bitter, or a lager (full of gas!)  

Edited by Greavsy
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Non-transferable though, lifetime ban if you pass a pint on to someone else.

• Haha 2

People can drink what they want - but with excellent breweries on the doorstep you’d hope there was a good supply of local stuff.  I’m not a beer snob and will drink whatever is on offer, but do prefer a decent pint.

I always remember this review given for (or at least hung on the wall of) my local decent hostelry…

IMG_1220.jpeg

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

People can drink what they want - but with excellent breweries on the doorstep you’d hope there was a good supply of local stuff.  I’m not a beer snob and will drink whatever is on offer, but do prefer a decent pint.  

I hope they cater for keg as well as cask. Would be great to see, for example, a Duration beer, or even a Redwell pale. Absolutely no shortage of local breweries catering for the cask crowd!

• Like 3

Intriguing to see how well this works. As an ex- venue manager I'm fascinated by the idea of a wall of beer that customers pull pints from themselves which reduces queue time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Either way mate it will certainly be seen as half empty for some and half full for others

• Haha 2

Where is this going to be specifically, didn't even know there was a big space like that in the Barclay? Sounds quality, Norwich has never had a decent sports bar.

Will it generally be open on non-matchdays too?

Edited by canarydan23

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Where is this going to be specifically, didn't even know there was a big space like that in the Barclay? Sounds quality, Norwich has never had a decent sports bar.

From what I could see at the end of the season, i'm pretty sure it's just the usual concourse below the stand converted...

It's replacing the Russell Allison lounge/ the lower Barclay bars as far as I know. And they've said 'only open on match days initially' so I think they're waiting to see what the feedback is. 

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

As a Lower Barclay season ticket holder, this excites me! 

You need to get out more! 😉 

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/cheers-new-pub-at-carra-rud

We’re calling time on the old Lower Barclay bar and opening a great new pub at Carrow Road – a place for supporters to enjoy getting together with family and friends before and after the game and for everyone in Norfolk to enjoy.

The Lion & Castle pub launches on Friday, July 21 and mixes the club’s heritage with the need for a bright, welcoming local pub. It will serve craft beers and the club hope it will appeal to everyone, not just football fans.

Norwich City fans have been heavily involved in its design and Along Come Norwich co-founder Jon Punt said: “We were delighted to be asked for our input, which has included providing feedback on designs and even one of our group offering a suggestion to name the pub, which the club really liked and ran with.

"We have often thought the current space could be more comfortable and welcoming and should be a nice place to visit before and after the game for good beer and food, while also being able to be used by the wider community throughout the week. We think the design really achieves that. The club say they will open it up to some away fans after the game, which is great - Norwich fans are a friendly bunch towards most away fans, we have much more in common than that which divides us.

“We also really wanted to get a better beer offer and the club has laid on lots more craft beers and different lagers and made some changes which will speed up ordering at half-time. So I hope everyone really enjoys the Lion & Castle."

The pub has bigger, better, brighter TV screens – and many more of them, so you can watch other matches or sports events in comfort. But it also has the neat touches you’d expect from a club that has Onel Hernandez on its books. Like our two Beer Walls, aka WonderWalls. They’re a heavenly sight: a whole wall of beers where you simply pay by card and pull your own pint. And we’re proud to announce the launch of our own premium lager; The Lion & Castle.

The bar will hold over 600 and will be opened at 3pm on Friday, July 21 by Norwich City fan and absolute legend, Stephen Fry. It’s going to be a helluva party and we want you to be there!

All fans are invited to the launch on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets for the launch (from 2.30pm onwards) cost £4 (redeemable for a drink at the bar), while entry after the main launch event (from 5pm onwards) is free and no tickets are required. To get your tickets once on sale, please visit our ticket office page here or visit our dedicated Lion and Castle page here for full FAQs.

Tickets will go on sale to the Lower Barclay on Monday, June 26. Please note you must be logged into your OneCity account to access tickets in advance. General sale will commence on Wednesday, June 28.

Sounds a great 👍 idea. Should put a smile on many faces and add to  the matchday experience.  The Wonder walls 🧱 . The Lion 🦁  and Castle 🏰.  Exciting comforting times . Love it .

Edited by Mengo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

It's replacing the Russell Allison lounge/ the lower Barclay bars as far as I know. And they've said 'only open on match days initially' so I think they're waiting to see what the feedback is. 

As an upper Barclay s/t holder I was wondering if there’s access for the rest of us pre-match, and how we’d get in. I suppose the answer is that we don’t?!

• Like 1

If it's only open on matchdays then wastage might be an issue in so far as choice of ales is concerned.

As an Upper Barclay ST holder it would be nice to have some if the choices available in the bar as well.

40 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I always remember this review given for (or at least hung on the wall of) my local decent hostelry…

IMG_1220.jpeg

That reminds of something someone said to me when I asked if this famed National Park was good. "it's ok if you like scenary"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I noticed in @Puntino's quote: "We have often thought the current space could be more comfortable and welcoming and should be a nice place to visit before and after the game for good beer and food, while also being able to be used by the wider community throughout the week."

As far as I was aware, it was absolutely intended to be a community asset that's open on non-matchdays? Jon, was that your understanding?

48 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If it's only open on matchdays then wastage might be an issue in so far as choice of ales is concerned.

Exactly what i was thinking.

48 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

As an Upper Barclay ST holder it would be nice to have some if the choices available in the bar as well.

One step 🚶‍♂️ at a time CP. I'm sure Hoggy will be able to sneak a good pint of real ale 🍺 😉 up for you. Connections you see. Always helps. 

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Exactly what i was thinking.

I'm sure Zoe and company have a plan for all of this. Im sure any concerns could be voiced at the forum night. Again if only Hoggy was going as this is his area of expertise the lower Barclay.

Tennis 🎾 my àśś , I bet he's rubbish 🗑 at it😉🙃.

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I noticed in @Puntino's quote: "We have often thought the current space could be more comfortable and welcoming and should be a nice place to visit before and after the game for good beer and food, while also being able to be used by the wider community throughout the week."

As far as I was aware, it was absolutely intended to be a community asset that's open on non-matchdays? Jon, was that your understanding?

It's a little far out from Riverside, but I reckon if it was good enough, you'd get some people prepared to start off there and wander into town for the rest of their night out. I'd definitely use it outside of matchdays if it was decent.

It's a little far out from Riverside, but I reckon if it was good enough, you'd get some people prepared to start off there and wander into town for the rest of their night out. I'd definitely use it outside of matchdays if it was decent.

I dunno, it's only about five minutes' walk from Iceni. I'd certainly use it outside of matchdays too, would be great for big Champions League nights for example... really bugs me when I go to a 'footy pub' and they don't have the volume up very loud (or, even worse, play music instead of having the volume up at all). Don't understand why a publican would spend all that money on a site licence and not put the sport front and centre!

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I dunno, it's only about five minutes' walk from Iceni. I'd certainly use it outside of matchdays too, would be great for big Champions League nights for example... really bugs me when I go to a 'footy pub' and they don't have the volume up very loud (or, even worse, play music instead of having the volume up at all). Don't understand why a publican would spend all that money on a site licence and not put the sport front and centre!

I wouldn't tell my boss, but if it was open in the afternoon and had WiFi, I'd happily "work from home" in there with the Ashes on in the background!

• Haha 1

I wouldn't tell my boss, but if it was open in the afternoon and had WiFi, I'd happily "work from home" in there with the Ashes on in the background!

See you down there.

It’s good to see the club improving facilities . Need to make more income from stuff like this. As others have said a concert venue adjacent to the ground could make money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I hope they cater for keg as well as cask. Would be great to see, for example, a Duration beer, or even a Redwell pale. Absolutely no shortage of local breweries catering for the cask crowd!

You read my mind! 

3 hours ago, The Raptor said:

It’s the same at pretty much every ground. The worst I’ve found is Pride Park where there is (or was) a massive poster advertising Marston’s Pedigree outside, maybe not the most exciting beer but a huge step up on Boddingtons or just Carling - but no sign of it whatsoever inside. ☹️