Branston Pickle

Any Webber Replacement Ideas?

I realise this may be covered elsewhere, but are there any realistic names out there for us to mull over?  - think people have mentioned Bromby is leaving a similar role at Huddersfield.  

Break the role. Head of Recruitment and Scouting. Then the Performance and Technical side. 

2 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Break the role. Head of Recruitment and Scouting. Then the Performance and Technical side. 

Nah. We have enough uncertainty as it is. The club needs a focal point and a leader. 

Thought Stu had it all in hand....like for like replacements an' stuff?....

Well that's gone well hasn't it?....

30 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Get the chap who was amazing at signing players back from Middlesbrough 

I agree, Kieran Scott would get my vote, but unfortunately I can't see it happening, unless he was given more of a free reign than what he's currently got at Middlesbrough.

• Like 1

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Kieran Scott that would be my shout too. 

and mine

9 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Kieran Scott that would be my shout too. 

Might be a good shout - he knows the club so who knows…he’s in the same role at boro so might not be interested?

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Get the chap who was amazing at signing players back from Middlesbrough 

Yes. Him

44 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Might be a good shout - he knows the club so who knows…he’s in the same role at boro so might not be interested?

Highly unlikely unless he’s a die hard City fan. Working with a progressive manager there and they’re on the up. Hard to see him leaving that for us right now. 

It will be someone currently out of work.

I'm not that fussed on the role if I'm honest. It's not clear what Adams will be doing in his new role as Technical Director and how that dovetails/overlaps with the Sporting Director.

Just allow Wagner to run the playing and coaching side in conjunction with a Head of Recruitment.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

It will be someone currently out of work.

I'm not that fussed on the role if I'm honest. It's not clear what Adams will be doing in his new role as Technical Director and how that dovetails/overlaps with the Sporting Director.

Just allow Wagner to run the playing and coaching side in conjunction with a Head of Recruitment.

Yeah I agree. It appeared to be the case that Webber’s weakness was successful player recruitment at a high enough rate. Certainly for Prem seasons. There was a clear case for bringing in someone to take on that recruitment side from him. Not that his ego would have allowed it. 

How about Paul Clement.  Out of work has been highly rated and worked under Ancelloti a few times. Unfortunately also worked with Frank Lampard at Everton. But there would be no compensation since he is out of work.

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

Michael Edwards would be my preferred choice, but I’d imagine he is only wanting a top league move.

he wouldnt come here when hes turned down chelsea many times

• Like 1

I wonder how much of a sway Attanasio will have in this appointment. Baseball general managers are pretty much all university graduates with maths related degrees and next to no experience at the professional level. We need someone similar to 2017 Webber, who is in tune with the future of the game and not afraid to make changes to come in line with it.

No ideas as to who, but maybe a few ideas as to characteristics?

• Essential they have a background in football. Coaching badges, history working in training and an understanding of how the various parts of a football club work.
  • Someone open. I don't want a sporting director who sits behind the scenes and ignores fans, refuses interviews. For me, I think the club has had it's best times when it has been open, honest and approachable. 
  • A person who has a track record of prioritising youth.
  • A person who will support all aspects of the club - including the women's teams. 

If he also has the following, then that is a bonus, but not essential 

• A track record of working on a budget
  • A person known for attracting talent
  • A person known to have a style and philosophy about how his teams play

1 minute ago, tsj1999 said:

he wouldnt come here when hes turned down chelsea many times

I didn’t realise he had. I didn’t think he’d drop a division anyway, but he’d be my preferred choice.

Cant help but wonder what could have been had we kept Keith Scott.

1 minute ago, TheGoogler said:

No ideas as to who, but maybe a few ideas as to characteristics?

• Essential they have a background in football. Coaching badges, history working in training and an understanding of how the various parts of a football club work.
  • Someone open. I don't want a sporting director who sits behind the scenes and ignores fans, refuses interviews. For me, I think the club has had it's best times when it has been open, honest and approachable. 
  • A person who has a track record of prioritising youth.
  • A person who will support all aspects of the club - including the women's teams. 

If he also has the following, then that is a bonus, but not essential 

• A track record of working on a budget
  • A person known for attracting talent
  • A person known to have a style and philosophy about how his teams play

I agree we’d love you back Daniel!

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Michael Edwards would be my preferred choice, but I’d imagine he is only wanting a top league move.

Edwards is probably a bit unrealistic but I know Liverpool's head of research also left recently. With a lot of the data experts one of the biggest obstacles they face is being empowered to do things their way. If such a figure was given backing by the ownership to do as they saw fit (just like Webber was) then maybe we could be an attractive option. 

• Like 1

Oh. Actually I do have a name.

Kristjaan Speakman of Sunderland. Has done a wonderful job there, built an incredible young team who are going places. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I agree we’d love you back Daniel!

No, I actually want someone who isn't tainted by the Webber era. A fresh start.