Harry53

Jack Stacey signing

14 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

That would be a sensible formation to suit the players available with round pegs in relatively round holes and no strikers playing as wingers. We can consequently safely rule it out as a viable or likely option ...

Mumba on the left ? Nunez and Sara are too lightweight to cover the middle - one at a time, with Gibbs instead. Duffy is yet to sign, and if the right offer for OMO comes in, grab it.  Much as with Sgt, though I cannot see him being wanted elsewhere (in the UK).

I expect there will be a few more through the door before the end of August.

If we switch to a back 3 to fit Mumba in then I think McCallum could be an option for that left CB role, even more so if you play it as a hybrid back 3/4 which lots of teams tend to do nowadays, would allow us to keep building up with 3 at the back without dropping a midfielder into that space.

37 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Mumba on the left ? Nunez and Sara are too lightweight to cover the middle - one at a time, with Gibbs instead. Duffy is yet to sign, and if the right offer for OMO comes in, grab it.  Much as with Sgt, though I cannot see him being wanted elsewhere (in the UK).

I expect there will be a few more through the door before the end of August.

I evidently need to use emojis more ...

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Given we have no wingers (hernandez aside), the need to pair Barnes and Sargent and also utilise wingbacks such as Mumba   I wonder whether 5-3-2 maybe more on the cards?

Gunn

Omabam   Duffy   Gibson

Stacey      McLean (new DM asap)   Mumba

Nunez                Sara

Sargent             Barnes

Maybe it could be

Gunn

AO Duffy Gibson

Stacey Gibbs Kenny Mumba

Onel Sarge Barnes

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I might have to work on my emoji game because it seems my subtle sense of sarcasm doesn't come through very well without.

If Colback signs I'm definitely ITK though.

Do you still see emojis? All I get is a little box with a question mark in, it’s been like that for a few months now on here. I’ve had to resort to an explanatory note when I feel an emoji is a critical part of what I’m saying 😫<- frustrated emoji.

50 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He played there sporadically for Plymouth.

I think he played there a fair bit - sad-but-true, I occasionally looked at their lineup on beeb to see where they had him and it did seem he was out on the left a fair few times. 

23 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe it could be

Gunn

AO Duffy Gibson

Stacey Gibbs Kenny Mumba

Onel Sarge Barnes

I assume by this , youre thinking Sara will be sold...

A midfield of Gibbs and McLean will have us relegated

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I assume by this , youre thinking Sara will be sold...

A midfield of Gibbs and McLean will have us relegated

No it wouldn't. But it wouldn't get us very much higher.

Can't say that I've ever noticed him play before or know anything about him. I was at the Bournemouth cup loss but nothing stood out to me at the time. In forming an opinion I can only go on his record and stats and for a mid-table Championship club which is what we are now like it or not I don't think this is a bad signing on paper at all for a free. 

3 hours ago, Paul101 said:

well you timed that post wrong

image.png.03b6d6b866c97290b92fce9252e293e2.png

Not really, there wasn’t anything online at that point

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

No it wouldn't. But it wouldn't get us very much higher.

I certainly wouldnt want to test it.

Would be our weakest midfield in my 42 yrs of attending carrow rd

You're in Andy Hughes/Jason Jarrett territory

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No you're not. That's a massive overreaction. 

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Wow.  I can remember some awful midfields and this wouldn’t come close. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

13th January 2009. FA Cup Replay vs Charlton Athletic. My Dad and I sat and froze on one of the coldest January days to watch one of the most dire performances of football I've ever seen. At the heart of that was a central midfield duo of Sammy Clingan and Mark Fotheringham; two of the worst midfielders to ever grace this club (IMO). 

What's tragic is I've just looked again at the line up and noticed that sat on the bench was Wes Hoolahan, Korey Smith and Darrel Russell. Maybe they were being rested - we're talking over a decade ago, can't remember - but Gibbs and McLean would absolutely run rings around them. 

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I remember when Worthy played Doherty in centre midfield.

We lost 5-0.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

13th January 2009. FA Cup Replay vs Charlton Athletic. My Dad and I sat and froze on one of the coldest January days to watch one of the most dire performances of football I've ever seen. At the heart of that was a central midfield duo of Sammy Clingan and Mark Fotheringham; two of the worst midfielders to ever grace this club (IMO). 

What's tragic is I've just looked again at the line up and noticed that sat on the bench was Wes Hoolahan, Korey Smith and Darrel Russell. Maybe they were being rested - we're talking over a decade ago, can't remember - but Gibbs and McLean would absolutely run rings around them. 

The problem is that most midfields in next seasons championship would run rings around/ carve open / overrun McLean and Gibbs.

They would be a dream midfield to play against for any team with a bit of pace and muscle in the middle of the park.

I'm shuddering at just thinking about it

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The problem is that most midfields in next seasons championship would run rings around/ carve open / overrun McLean and Gibbs.

They would be a dream midfield to play against for any team with a bit of pace and muscle in the middle of the park.

I'm shuddering at just thinking about it

No, they wouldn't. It's a lower mid table Champo midfield as that's what it achieved this season. 

And the shuddering is just you being old.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

Have we signed Duffy yet?

No. Only been rumoured with him so far, but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if we are going for him

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No, they wouldn't. It's a lower mid table Champo midfield as that's what it achieved this season. 

And the shuddering is just you being old.

If they are a lower mid table  championship midfield...then by definition it would make them one of the worst midfields we've had over the last 40 odd yrs

...and define 'old' ?

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

57 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Do you still see emojis? All I get is a little box with a question mark in, it’s been like that for a few months now on here. I’ve had to resort to an explanatory note when I feel an emoji is a critical part of what I’m saying 😫<- frustrated emoji.

I get a little broken-box image that indicates there's a problem with the emoji, and also the emoji itself. In the case above, I still see your intended image.

My only problem is that on text it's hard for people to understand how very funny I am.

[Completely serious face]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Maybe it could be

Gunn

AO Duffy Gibson

Stacey Gibbs Kenny Mumba

Onel Sarge Barnes

To play 5 at the back would mean that we would need to sign at least another 2 centrebacks (given Handley's long term injury). Personally I cannot see that happening.

28 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Fotheringham was crap, but Clingan was here for one season and was, in my opinion, easily our best player that season and should've won POTS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Fotheringham was crap, but Clingan was here for one season and was, in my opinion, easily our best player that season and should've won POTS. 

Agreed.

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I don't rate him and think he benefitted hugely from being in a side which I consider the worst to ever play for NCFC.

9 hours ago, Conrad said:

To play 5 at the back would mean that we would need to sign at least another 2 centrebacks (given Handley's long term injury). Personally I cannot see that happening.

Well, no - it just means playing the three senior CBs we have or as we saw last season McLean dropping between a pair.

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yep. He was announced as released by Bournemouth shortly before we announced his signing.

Thats Good. Seems to be a good signing then on what I have read about him

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Incidentally the announcement of our new coach reminded me that Fozzy had a brief, unsuccessful spell managing Huddersfield this season.