Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

38 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Familiar feeling of not having enough pennies to nail down targets at the top end of our lists.

Down the list we retreat.

Quite right. Every other Championship club has signed umpteen players, for millions. Thanks to gossip we know exactly who our targets are and why they were not signed. If only there was a chance of a couple of players being sold, or we still had parachute payments this season.

13 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looks like we got a new name. More than likely for the U23s.

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/atlanta-united-fc-rumors-news/2023/6/22/23770088/rumor-vicente-reyes-departing-for-norwich-city

Chilean U19 international keeper, seemingly born and raised in the US of A. 

Makes you wonder what markets we opened up when getting Nunez, Sara, and to a lesser extent, Sargent and Soto before him.

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Pink Un transfer window update.

Some new lines; Ryan Fraser not happening because of wage demands, Ogbenne (from Rotherham) Norwich have decided against. Tom Ince off to Watford. Max Johnston off elsewhere. Redmond never an interest. 

Quite pleased to have missed out on Fraser and Ince. Ogbene, Johnston and Redmond could've been useful though. 

21 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looks like we got a new name. More than likely for the U23s.

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/atlanta-united-fc-rumors-news/2023/6/22/23770088/rumor-vicente-reyes-departing-for-norwich-city

Chilean U19 international keeper, seemingly born and raised in the US of A. 

He could be the number one for the U23s and maybe number three for the first team. Now get rid of Krul's wages, sign a cheaper number two and we should be set.

Is it just me or does Sainz have a moustache that makes me think he's gonna launch into a cover of the Stutter Rap, by Morris Minor and the Majors, r-r-r-r-r-r-r-right ab-b-b-b-b-b-b-out n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-now?

Edited by TheGunnShow
Might as well chuck the video in, even though the visuals are probably OceanGateVision v1.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He could be the number one for the U23s and maybe number three for the first team. Now get rid of Krul's wages, sign a cheaper number two and we should be set.

Ok, just going to point out that Krul is in the last year of his current contract. That means that even if he is more expensive on paper in terms of weekly wage, signing a replacement is likely to cost as much, if not more. Obviously there is an argument that we might be able to get some money for Krul but I can't see it being masses, maybe £500k if we're lucky? Even signing a freebie would probably cost us signing fee of similar?

Not sure it is worth getting rid of Krul at this point unless both parties are looking to part ways. 

Reyes must have something about him if true.  We aren't exactly understocked with young keepers of all positions.  Seems an odd one otherwise - barely played a senior game.

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

REEKS of the Ajer transfer.. Missed out on one solid player to end up signing Kabak instead and well we all know what happened there with him

No it doesn't. Ajer was about the fee, if you look back at the reports, he had allegedly pleaded with Celtic to accept our bid. That doesn't seem like someone who's wages were going to be too high for us.

Additionally, Ajer didn't actually make masses of appearances that season and even then, some of them were at right back, not CB or DM. Probably as a way of getting him game time in the premier league in a none spine of the team position.

Fraser is a premier league player, his wages are going to be high. I suspect that it also means Newcastle will not be willing to pay more of his wages if it's a loan. That suggests he is probably on over the odds in fairness.

10 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Reyes must have something about him if true.  We aren't exactly understocked with young keepers of all positions.  Seems an odd one otherwise - barely played a senior game.

Sort of, he's 20. McCracken is 23, Barden is 21, Mair is 22, St Paul is 19, Berry is 20, Rose is 21. It is likely some of those will be going out on loan and I suspect the club also already has an idea which of them they will be hanging on to for future 1st team football.

Any player 21 or over and not yet in the first team squad picture, so to speak, is likely to not be around masses longer. I can see one ot two being sold/let go and others sent out on loan. 

New tenuous link just dropped. 

2.png.9db515fe60a49063fc3afad60cb5256a.png

1.png.3840d8f7352ca4c710365873908d8136.png

Recorded 13 goals and 12 assists in all comps across 22/23

Screenshot 2023-06-23 015855.png

Edited by Renskay

6 hours ago, chicken said:

Ok, just going to point out that Krul is in the last year of his current contract. That means that even if he is more expensive on paper in terms of weekly wage, signing a replacement is likely to cost as much, if not more. Obviously there is an argument that we might be able to get some money for Krul but I can't see it being masses, maybe £500k if we're lucky? Even signing a freebie would probably cost us signing fee of similar?

Not sure it is worth getting rid of Krul at this point unless both parties are looking to part ways. 

I was thinking of replacing him with an experienced free agent to sit on the bench and provide cover for Gunn, because there are always ones knocking about at this time of year. I can't see anyone paying money for Krul, but he's said to be on about £2m a year in wages, so even if we sign a backup for a small fee and a £10k per week in wages it's still cheaper anyway.

4 hours ago, Renskay said:

New tenuous link just dropped. 

2.png.9db515fe60a49063fc3afad60cb5256a.png

1.png.3840d8f7352ca4c710365873908d8136.png

Recorded 13 goals and 12 assists in all comps across 22/23

Screenshot 2023-06-23 015855.png

Pretty sure we were linked earlier in the summer with it reported he had turned us down at the time ??

Unless we're doing Krul a big favour by releasing him from his contract so that he can sign a longer deal elsewhere, then I don't see the point in selling him.

We need 2 solid keepers capable of pushing each other so if Angus has a wobble then Tim steps in. Likewise Gunn will be playing extra matches for Scotland so an added injury risk. Goallie is not a position to penny pinch.

Interest in the young Chile lad is a bit of a strange one. Doesn't feel as though the club has a high hopes for the current crop of youngsters.

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We are about to be linked to every player in that league aren’t we?

Yep, and most of the South American leagues...😍

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Not quite a transfer, but Chelsea just bought Strasborg. No to B Teams!

It ridiculous isn't it? We're going to end up with footballing conglomerates, where groups of teams owned by the mega rich effectively share players between themselves. If you aren't part of one of these groups, you'll miss out. And if you're a fan of one of the smaller groups, then you'll watch your club become nothing more than a proving ground for the players on their education towards playing for the big club of the group, rather than strive towards success in their own right.

Just when you think football can't sink any deeper.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It ridiculous isn't it? We're going to end up with footballing conglomerates, where groups of teams owned by the mega rich effectively share players between themselves. If you aren't part of one of these groups, you'll miss out. And if you're a fan of one of the smaller groups, then you'll watch your club become nothing more than a proving ground for the players on their education towards playing for the big club of the group, rather than strive towards success in their own right.

Just when you think football can't sink any deeper.

By saying “end up with” forgets the fact that there’s already several owners of multiple clubs out there, I think it was Watford who regularly had players from sister clubs..

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We are about to be linked to every player in that league aren’t we?

Yes. Turkish media are one of the worst for just making stuff up when it comes to transfer rumours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

By saying “end up with” forgets the fact that there’s already several owners of multiple clubs out there, I think it was Watford who regularly had players from sister clubs..

Yep. The Pozzo family also own Udinese, and used to own a Spanish club too (possibly Granada?).

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep. The Pozzo family also own Udinese, and used to own a Spanish club too (possibly Granada?).

It was, yes. 

The City Football Group, headed by Manchester City, of course, own about ten clubs now. 

And it's not a good thing: https://theathletic.com/4320747/2023/03/19/multi-club-ceferin-ownership?source=user-shared-article

You would of thought a CDM would be close by now , we have been searching for 2 years and is the weakest part of squad ,

i know it is early days but i would have thought Webber would have been so keen to get one in ASAP or pre contract as free ,

Maybe he has found one but needs to sell before he signs him ( i hope ! )

i feel it is such a important  missing piece of the Jigsaw 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 1

The latest Pinkun Transfer blog suggested that DCM was down the queue for target positions and might only be able to happen after significant sales have been made .

52 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

The latest Pinkun Transfer blog suggested that DCM was down the queue for target positions and might only be able to happen after significant sales have been made .

That doesn't sound at all sensible. Have we not learned from that shambolic end to last season when injuries meant we had a powderpuff midfield?

Hayden was virtually our first signing last season. Are we now saying 12 mths on we no longer need a DCM?

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

You would of thought a CDM would be close by now , we have been searching for 2 years and is the weakest part of squad ,

i know it is early days but i would have thought Webber would have been so keen to get one in ASAP or pre contract as free ,

Maybe he has found one but needs to sell before he signs him ( i hope ! )

i feel it is such a important  missing piece of the Jigsaw 

Yeah deffo we've been far to easy to play thru the last two seasons, we need  a Skipp or tettey type and not give defensive responsibilities to either Sara or Nunez (although I do think Sara could play that role he would be wasted there , let's have him more advanced ) , we probably need to sell first to get CDM.

Think we need one definitely but the suggestion was Sara was earmarked for that role with Kenny and sorenson 

Nothing wrong with what the Pink Un are saying, and we don't want to try a Hayden freebie again. Always thought our DCM targets would be are dependent on sales.

I think we need at least one sale, whether that's Rash, Omo or Aarrons before we can pursue what we're looking for.