Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Imagine going back 30 odd years and telling people that in the future our squad would have a spanish winger and a cuban winger being supported a brazillian and a chillian in the midfield

And we flogged an Argentinean for a record sum.

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We're not as diverse as we were under Farke.

In one game under Farke we had 15 different nationalities on the pitch. A record that will almost certainly never be broken 

• Like 1

Good news on the Sainz deal. Sounds like a quite a quality player given his return for a struggling side and he should have a good resale value in due course.

27 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Good news on the Sainz deal. Sounds like a quite a quality player given his return for a struggling side and he should have a good resale value in due course.

Know v little about him but he has plenty of experience at a good level, so a potentially decent purchase if it happens…but as ever you reserve judgement until seeing him ina yellow shirt.  

Getting decent players for limited outlay is never a bad thing, the key will be when we start to sell-to-buy. 

6 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Chris Reeve pouring cold water on the Nathan Redmond chat 

TBH when I read it first it looked like a lazy piece of journalism. 

One rag says Sainz is available on free transfer as his club were relegated, another mentions a fee will have to be thrashed out, so still a bit to go before we know for certain . As always nothing is official until he holds up the yellow shirt.

11 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

One rag says Sainz is available on free transfer as his club were relegated, another mentions a fee will have to be thrashed out, so still a bit to go before we know for certain . As always nothing is official until he holds up the yellow shirt.

Says no transfer fee due to relegation on the bits that i've read, unless a nominal fee needed to secure his services.

With clauses like this, the club does not get a fee for Sainz, but the player himself (or at least his agent for him) will be expecting a commensurate signing on fee. Such is the modern football world, so plenty of negotiating to do but if this is the only offer for him ....

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

With clauses like this, the club does not get a fee for Sainz, but the player himself (or at least his agent for him) will be expecting a commensurate signing on fee. Such is the modern football world, so plenty of negotiating to do but if this is the only offer for him ....

Of course frees aren’t free, but I’m pretty certain they work out a lot less; you can have a ‘pot’ available for a player and to an extent it doesn’t really matter how much is up-front and how much is via salary.

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

That's the kind of thing if I wonder we've attracted a bit of a mercenary. Team goes down, he can go easily and cash in a bit.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's the kind of thing if I wonder we've attracted a bit of a mercenary. Team goes down, he can go easily and cash in a bit.

It’s what clauses are for - and no different to a player running down his contract (eg Pukki).

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

It’s what clauses are for - and no different to a player running down his contract (eg Pukki).

Agree that is what clauses are for, but this clause was dependent on team performance, so I don't think it's the same as running down a contract.

Sainz's output seems to indicate he played quite well in a struggling team but in Rashica we've already had a splenetic wide man...

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree that is what clauses are for, but this clause was dependent on team performance, so I don't think it's the same as running down a contract.

Sainz's output seems to indicate he played quite well in a struggling team but in Rashica we've already had a splenetic wide man...

I meant in terms of the net effect: a player running his contract of choice is in the same position, you could argue he’s disinterested if leaving but have to trust that players remain professional.

I’ve no idea about Sainz, and won’t claim to have heard of him before we were linked.  The odd thing about Rashica (another I’d not heard of) was how many were waxing lyrical about him; he really didn’t work out well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I meant in terms of the net effect: a player running his contract of choice is in the same position, you could argue he’s disinterested if leaving but have to trust that players remain professional.

I’ve no idea about Sainz, and won’t claim to have heard of him before we were linked.  The odd thing about Rashica (another I’d not heard of) was how many were waxing lyrical about him; he really didn’t work out well.

Fair point, I hadn't considered it that way.

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair point, I hadn't considered it that way.

I'd also add it's something a young player himself very rarely thinks of or considers, but an agent does....

59 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not necessarily a bad thing. Having a young player who sees us as a stepping stone is likely give us 100% showing plenty of hunger and desire, as well as maybe a big profit.

Experienced players in the latter stages of their career on two or three year contracts can also be risky for the opposite reason.

For those not on Twitter, some Greek correspondent had a sit down with Tzolis recently. Players feels he now needs to be playing 'big minutes most weeks' and doesn't yet know if that will be with us or elsewhere. Wants to play in a team that 'believes in his abilities'

Was a little critical of our tactics which, fair or not, gives me the impression he'll seek pastures new.

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

For those not on Twitter, some Greek correspondent had a sit down with Tzolis recently. Players feels he now needs to be playing 'big minutes most weeks' and doesn't yet know if that will be with us or elsewhere. Wants to play in a team that 'believes in his abilities'

Was a little critical of our tactics which, fair or not, gives me the impression he'll seek pastures new.

I find the whole thing funny because he's been absolutely woeful for us. If he left tomorrow he'd go down as one of our biggest flops.

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I’d completely forgotten about him tbh 

18 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I find the whole thing funny because he's been absolutely woeful for us. If he left tomorrow he'd go down as one of our biggest flops.

He also wasn't paying much attention if he preferred PAOKs 433 to our 442. We started more than half our games in 433 last season, think we started with a 442 once or twice. Maybe someone should also tell him Akpom was playing as a 10 and that's not a position you'll see in a 433.

• Like 1

No summer of transfer activity is complete without a FLIGHTRADAR SCOOP.....

Disappointed it isn't a Saxon flight so it can be called a SAXON KLAXON! 

Ordu (the flight destination) is 30 minutes down the road from Borja Sainz current club.

50 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Annnnndd.....

Account looks proper dodge though. 

If memory serves he was at Swindon and was constantly hitting on my niece (sure it was him). If he ends up with us, I'll be having words with her!

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No summer of transfer activity is complete without a FLIGHTRADAR SCOOP.....

Disappointed it isn't a Saxon flight so it can be called a SAXON KLAXON! 

Ordu (the flight destination) is 30 minutes down the road from Borja Sainz current club.

Is that really the closest plumber you can find?! 

• Haha 2