Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe it signals a change in strategy. Instead of having a third of the squad out injured, we will go for a third banned following red cards?

Why not? Let's cause a few injuries instead!

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Why not? Let's cause a few injuries instead!

It’s starting to seem like there’s a latent desire for us to dial up the “manly” tackles. 🤔 <- pondering emoji

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not bad business so far even if Barnes, Stacy and Duffy are say £80k a week cumulative as Cantwell, Pukki, Byram, McGovern and Sinani won't be that far short if not more?

Pukki was on ar least half of that.

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Been some rumours Alfredo Morelos may leave Rangers.. Said to be on about 30 to 40 grand a week

Sadly i think he will go higher league than champs , also i do not think we will be paying 40 k a week with the cost cutting going on 

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not bad business so far even if Barnes, Stacy and Duffy are say £80k a week cumulative as Cantwell, Pukki, Byram, McGovern and Sinani won't be that far short if not more?

i have no idea how much these 3 players get a week ,

But i think we need to get the wages down to a championship level  they might be on less than we think ,

if they are in the 60/80 k a week between them like you said it is good business 

It will be interesting to see what we do from here.

Folks are saying we need younger flare players but arguably we have them in the form if Nunez, Tzolis, Mumba, Sara, even Gibbs.

We seem OK for strikers too?

If Ince is true then we're potentially looking at a DM, an additional CB if Omo goes and possibly another winger/AM.

If no one leaves then we can't be far off being done but you would expect Aarons and Omo not to be here come September.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It’s starting to seem like there’s a latent desire for us to dial up the “manly” tackles. 🤔 <- pondering emoji

Yep, let's have some Viaggro tablets before the game and start banging some early hits in. 

Maybe give Lungi a video of peak Stig Tofting and Thomas Gravesen banging into tackles? (God, I'd have loved to see a prime Tofting sort of player in our defensive midfield).

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, let's have some Viaggro tablets before the game and start banging some early hits in. 

Maybe give Lungi a video of peak Stig Tofting and Thomas Gravesen banging into tackles? (God, I'd have loved to see a prime Tofting sort of player in our defensive midfield).

Toksvig?

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

At last! 

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Toksvig?

Nope. He was a tigerish, barrel-chested anchor man who was nicknamed "the lawnmower" for his propensity to cover every blade of grass. Often ended up at wing-back in a very hard-hitting wing-back combination at Hamburg with Bernd Hollerbach, who was another out of the "a ball can go past me, and a player can go past me, but not f-cking both at the same f-cking time" mould.

Stig Tøfting - Wikipedia

Ended up having a couple of celebrity boxing matches and was never far away from trouble.

19 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Sandi?

Would've added some much needed steel

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Folks are saying we need younger flare players but arguably we have them in the form if Nunez, Tzolis, Mumba, Sara, even Gibbs.

If Ince is true then we're potentially looking at a DM, an additional CB if Omo goes and possibly another winger/AM.

If no one leaves then we can't be far off being done but you would expect Aarons and Omo not to be here come September.

Striker is a worry if Sarge is out inured or loss of form then we are stuffed goal wise 

Barnes has not scored many goals in recent seasons but most of that was in PL and been played deeper ,

That leaves us with the Gamble of Idah to come good , or Tzolis in a new position ? 

the only person we are going to get to play 3rd striker is a youngster / or someone from lower leagues 

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I am yet to be convinced about Sargent. Any absence there and we are left with just Barnes. Tzolis looks more comfortable in a central position,. Watch his goals. Unlike Idah he has the Holt/Pukki ability to clinically finish, from almost any angle. He is NOT a winger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8K2nC-wMo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I am yet to be convinced about Sargent. Any absence there and we are left with just Barnes. Tzolis looks more comfortable in a central position,. Watch his goals. Unlike Idah he has the Holt/Pukki ability to clinically finish, from almost any angle. He is NOT a winger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8K2nC-wMo

He seems to have the ability to miss from most angles, too; I’m not sure Tzolis is the answer but who knows.

I am not sure whether is Sheff U is really much of a step up as a career move. With Duffy here and Hanley likely to be back in a few months it might be thought he is surplus to requirements. Maybe keep him until Jan then sell him. A club looking over their shoulder might be tempted to offer the sort of money Godfrey fetched.

Yes, he is one for the future, but our immediate future is this season and getting back into the PL. Omo's value is in his age. Duffy might be better/as good but Omo has another 10 years (minimum) in him. And that's often what you are buying.

In Webber’s interview he made it pretty clear he’d be surprised but pleased if AO was still here for the new season - so while a cb partnership with Duffy might be pretty good,  it doesn’t seem overly likely.  
As long as the money is good it doesn’t really make too much difference to us where he goes, and a newly promoted side may be the most likely.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Farke does seem a natural successor to Postecoglou in terms of style and has form in winning leagues with a dominant team. 

It seems a nice fit.

I think it would be a fantastic fit for him. 

Celtic have a great academy and a core of youngsters that Farke's methods would benefit massively. 

The squad they have at the minute is technically excellent and would be able to play the sort of football Farke would want. 

I've always said Farke isn't great tactically and I think Celtic have the dominance in the league to impose themselves and overcome his tactical issues.

And of course - European football. It must be a big draw to have that for any manager.

If he does well, as the two previous Celtic managers have done, it's an easy route into the Premier League too. 

Yeah, have to say I think I'd be quite excited for him and for Celtic if Farke ends up there.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think it would be a fantastic fit for him. 

Celtic have a great academy and a core of youngsters that Farke's methods would benefit massively. 

The squad they have at the minute is technically excellent and would be able to play the sort of football Farke would want. 

I've always said Farke isn't great tactically and I think Celtic have the dominance in the league to impose themselves and overcome his tactical issues.

And of course - European football. It must be a big draw to have that for any manager.

If he does well, as the two previous Celtic managers have done, it's an easy route into the Premier League too. 

Yeah, have to say I think I'd be quite excited for him and for Celtic if Farke ends up there.

Totally agree. He'll likely walk the league playing lovely football like he did in the Championship here, and not have to worry about the quality of the opposition improving next season. 

18 hours ago, Virtual reality said:

I remember he mentioned having a good connection with his Finland teammate Robin Lod in a couple interviews who also plays there at Minnesota so it probably played a role. That region of the US was mainly populated by Scandinavians which is a fun fact.

• Like 1

Rak Sakyi apparently of interest to us. 15 goals for Charlton on loan from palace last season - suspect loan move 

3 minutes ago, Tommo said:

Rak Sakyi apparently of interest to us. 15 goals for Charlton on loan from palace last season - suspect loan move 

Just came to post this.

9 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's chosen clubs close to to European football since leaving us in Russia and Germany and he'd get straight into group stage avoiding the usual long drawn out and dangerous qualifying. Of course they'll get spanked in the group stage and hopefully land the Europa

Celtic squad is strong at the moment so domestically good for whoever is coming in, but still worried for Farkes defensive ability though as you need a near perfect run of results up here.

Haha - Farke vs Cantwell.

Edit: Celtic fans not keen on him one bit.

Edited by KiwiScot