Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Interesting little comment on Michael Bailey's latest article...

1693279715_Screenshot_20230526-1837442.thumb.png.ca8107297cba02fbf3644cc0bcaa3541.png

Didn't know the bid was from a foreign club. 

I thought it was mentioned last weekend.  Bailey seems to be on a real ‘down’ on all things ncfc right now - about the new coach and here using the word ‘claimed’, it suggests he doesn’t believe him.

23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought it was mentioned last weekend.  Bailey seems to be on a real ‘down’ on all things ncfc right now - about the new coach and here using the word ‘claimed’, it suggests he doesn’t believe him.

He seems to really loathe Webber and it’s having a detrimental affect on his relationship and reporting with all things Norwich . He also seems to be producing less content ?

Just now, Soldier on said:

He seems to really loathe Webber and it’s having a detrimental affect on his relationship and reporting with all things Norwich . He also seems to be producing less content ?

I mean who doesnt loathe Webber? Well, other than Wagner his best mate and his wife.. Who are both also employed by the club. Huzzah.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I don't believe Webber either,  do people honestly think we turned down £20 million for Omobamdiele??? 

• Like 1

Michael does seem to be stressed, I love watching / reading his content but when he went on holiday during the season he was really defensive about it and also when the club accused 'journalists' of not keeping their word he reacted like there might have been some truth in it.  I did wonder if the move to the athletic has not gone as he hoped, I am sure the relationship with the club is making his job tougher and the quality of his output less insightful.  His role has changed, in archant he was the likeable slightly cheeky pundit, with Paddy playing the wise sage, and Dave being the detail orientated one, whilst in the wider social media world he has to be everything to everyone, whilst Chris and Jack are more cheeky and laid back guys down the pub, whilst the entire current pinkun team are claiming the controversial content space.

I don’t think it’s a secret MB severely dislikes SW. The nature of waiting for the right moment to drop the ‘women’s football’ bomb the day after the fairly positive reaction to the other interviews was entirely deliberate. And fair play; SW is a d1ck.

13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

As was mentioned elsewhere by Parma, it does rather seem to be a bit of benchmarking / touting.  I really can't see us turning down that sort of money at the moment for what was at the time arguably a third choice centre back (albeit one who was starting as a result of a dramatic fall off in Gibson's form and one with a fair degree of potential) unless a very large part of it was highly contingent on unlikely clauses or spread over a very long period. 

Realistically how much more would we expect to get at any point in the next few seasons ? The only way I could see that price increase substantially is if he had a storming season in the Premiership and that isn't likely to happen with us before his contract becomes an issue.

For all that he is probably a better physical centre back in the classic stopper sense than Godfrey was, and isn't a complete mug with the ball, Godfrey had a good all-round game with some eye-catching highlights particularly bringing the ball out (and THAT pitch length recovery tackle.)  That's the sort of thing that gets the big bids in. 

I hope we did and do start getting that size bid for him.  But I'm kind of with Bailey on this one ...

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't believe Webber either,  do people honestly think we turned down £20 million for Omobamdiele??? 

I sort of quite like the way Webber use press releases and rumours to influence transfers values.  The best one was the 20M bid for Cantwell which once it all went wrong was denied and switched to never received a serious bid.  I sort of think he is just doing his job.

• Like 1

I don’t read The Athletic but I assume Norwich City was included among the teams for which it had a full-time correspondent on the basis that it would carry on yo-yoing between the top two divisions. If it started to look as if that wasn’t going to be the case any more then his job might be in jeopardy.

They’ve got him writing articles on Luton at the moment . Presumably as they don’t have a full time journalist covering them. Either way he is a bit doom and gloom on all things Norwich at the moment . 

49 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

They’ve got him writing articles on Luton at the moment . Presumably as they don’t have a full time journalist covering them. Either way he is a bit doom and gloom on all things Norwich at the moment . 

Coo - lucky fella!  I suppose they may be East Anglia’s premier team (literally) soon (if you include them in EA)!

Realistically does anyone think we can get £20 million for Omo? And sounded closer to mid £20s per Webber.

Find it hard to think Webber would lie about it, as he’s going to look a fool if we now go and sell for £15 million and I can’t really see how we get much more. Certainly not anywhere near £25 million.

So why lie? Trying to give prospective clubs a benchmark to pay, but seems more likely to steer clubs away rather than encouraging a bidding war?

And then if he’s telling the truth, why on Earth would he reject that bid? Omo was our third choice CB at the time and his form had been patchy all season.

Actually think I find it being the truth even harder to believe than a lie…

I know posters love the classic ‘you’d have moaned if he’d sold him too, Webber is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t’, etc, but save for a very small handful I genuinely don’t think there’d have been anyone moaning a £25 million sale in Jan.

Webber will do extremely well to now go and sell him for a fee close to that number, or in excess. Let’s hope he can 👍

I recall him saying that the bid for Omobamidele exceeded the transfer of Ben Godfrey to Everton which I think was £25m. Should have bitten the offering club's hand off if true

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don’t read The Athletic but I assume Norwich City was included among the teams for which it had a full-time correspondent on the basis that it would carry on yo-yoing between the top two divisions. If it started to look as if that wasn’t going to be the case any more then his job might be in jeopardy.

Good point 

I hadn't really thought of that. Presumably The Athletic doesn't have a correspondent for many clubs outside the Premier league. 

He definitely hasn't written so much this year and probably will be asked to write even less if we turn into a mid-table Championship team

I wouldn't be surprised if Luton are promoted that he's asked to cover them. He's already co-authored one piece about Kenilworth Rd. 

I'd be surprised if they abandon Norwich altogether, but would be equally surprised if he's just writing about Norwich next season still.

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I recall him saying that the bid for Omobamidele exceeded the transfer of Ben Godfrey to Everton which I think was £25m. Should have bitten the offering club's hand off if true

I think he would have done had it happened. Can’t see it being true though. 

I actually do believe it. In January there was still a decent chance we could be promoted and he's not going to drop in value over the course of 6 months. 

Also Omobamidele does have a lot of the 'raw materials' to make him a top end player.

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Also what happened to this player we were supposed to be signing this week? Has that vanished too? 

The Pink Un q&a yesterday (and Michael Bailey although I can't remember where I read it) said it had slipped as "domestic seasons hadn't yet finished".

Hinted at it being Max Johnston. 

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I actually do believe it. In January there was still a decent chance we could be promoted and he's not going to drop in value over the course of 6 months. 

Also Omobamidele does have a lot of the 'raw materials' to make him a top end player.

I do feel however that Omobamidele being sold to a "big club" might end up coming too soon for him, like it did for Jamal Lewis at Newcastle were he had a decent start at his new club but then it quickly became clear that he was out of his depth and was just not yet ready for such a step up

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

11 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

There’s no evidence other than Webbers word, he’s a journalist he’s not there to believe things people say without corroborating evidence. Claimed is correct.

• Like 3

Depends really. If the rumours are correct and it's Milan then I can see him learning more there in a year as a bit player than starting most weeks here next to Hanley or Gibson. Similar for a lot of bigger clubs.

Omo is also a far better player than Lewis ever was/

Didn't Webber also say that the bid for Omo wasn't right for the club at the time or the player. That supports us still being in the fight for promotion, but also Omo might have said he wasn't ready for a big move, especially to a foreign club at the time, which could also make sense

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Depends really. If the rumours are correct and it's Milan then I can see him learning more there in a year as a bit player than starting most weeks here next to Hanley or Gibson. Similar for a lot of bigger clubs.

Omo is also a far better player than Lewis ever was/

Fair to say Milan has done wonders for Tomori

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 13:23, Norfolk Dan said:

Andras Schafer remains my key choice to improve our midfield. 

Some great Euro champs and WC qualifying performances. 

@Budapest Canary any insights to him ? 

Sorry for responding  so slowly,  I haven't been around for a while. Shafer is an exciting young player, who has been injured a lot lately. He picked up three injuries since November, and has been mostly out  for the rest of the season. Although his latest injury seems to be a light one, and will probably be fit by  the start of the season I don't see why would ha want to play Championship football instead of Champions League with Union Berlin.  I'd rather recommend another Hungary  international, Callum Styles (who is actually English with a Hungarian granny 🙂 ), who plays in the same positions, but a bit more versatile, plus with some 130 Chumps games under his belt he know this league in-and out. He spent the last season on loan with Millwall from Barnsley, who are willing to sell (around 3m) or loan him out again.   On basis of the Hungary internationals I saw involving one or the other player I think Styles is as good as or better than Shafer and a more realistic target for us.  

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I doubt thats how they would operate considering they tend to pinch staff from local papers, far more likely he may end up covering East Anglian teams or something. Nancy Frostick was brought in as the Sheffield Weds correspondant and now covers the EFL. They brought in writers based on club size rather than league position it seemed but you may be right, an extended run in Championship purgatory may see the end of him exclusively following Norwich, off the top of my head there's West Brom and Watford correspondants as well in similar positions.

12 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

I don’t think it’s a secret MB severely dislikes SW. The nature of waiting for the right moment to drop the ‘women’s football’ bomb the day after the fairly positive reaction to the other interviews was entirely deliberate. And fair play; SW is a d1ck.

I think what was interesting with that article was that it was authored by the UK Athletic Staff, not Bailey. Now maybe he pushed for it, but it read like an Editor had picked up on it and wanted a wider reporting of it as a broader than Norwich issue about views of the women's game.

Edited by Monty13
  • Thanks 1

Bailey has also started presenting some of Athletic's corporate online video content, analysing tactics in detail etc. There were a couple of games towards the end of the season where he was unable to do his normal Norwich post-match video report because of his other commitments with the Athletic (I assume writing the general review of all that night's matches). 

I forecast at some point he will do more anchor presenting roles for one of the many live football streaming services.

Edited by shefcanary

47 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Bailey has also started presenting some of Athletic's corporate online video content, analysing tactics in detail etc. There were a couple of games towards the end of the season where he was unable to do his normal Norwich post-match video report because of his other commitments with the Athletic (I assume writing the general review of all that night's matches). 

I forecast at some point he will do more anchor presenting roles for one of the many live football streaming services.

I doubt with us dropping away recently there’s enough interest in NCFC to generate ££ for them; Bailey was always pretty good at the stuff to camera.