Jump to content
Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

 

Rashica - According to reports in Turkey Gala want to pay 4 million euros, we want 7.5.

4million euros. Are they having a laugh. We might as well give him away for free.

In this days market, he has to be worth £6-7m plus, at the very minimum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Danke bitte said:

Late to the party buddy, discussed earlier in the thread :  )

Ah my bad, hadn't read all 20 pages 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can we meet in the middle and say six?

Do you go negotiating for a living? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/05/2023 at 13:03, repman said:

I think it's notable that the only outfield players we've had this year between the ages 24-29 are Dowell, Sorensen and Giannoulis. Obviously there's players like Max who are younger but have played a lot of football in their careers already. 

I'd be hesitant of adding anyone unless it was a loan like Rhodes was. The squad is already the oldest its been under Webber's stewardship. Pukki leaving will help lower it however.

Generally when you're starting a 'rebuild' its best to go as young as you can in the beginning and if you need more experience to get you over the line then you add it later. I think its likely we do sign some more experienced players because Webber/Wagner will be prioritising the short-term over everything else.

There seems a massive contradiction and flaw in the plan to me..... how does a club develop players in enough volume to produce a competitive team (without funds) if they loan players in?   How do Sargent and Idah for example get opportunities and feel valued and supported if they are sitting on the bench and watching an average loan player like Rhodes take their spot.

Loans prevent opportunity.... loans hold back development... loans demoralise our own players.... they hold us back and they are a gamble anyway (Hayden for example).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I see Lewis wing on a free doing the rounds..

Rather take Scott Twine off Burnleys hands.... didnt play much so unlikely of use next year... does have a 4yr (now 3) contract though.  Great set pieces... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Ryan Kent anyone? 

 

Morelos? Might end up only playing 30 games after suspensions but has scored regularly in SPL.

(As is Todd)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’d have winks in a heartbeat 

This would certainly be a marquee signing, and yes please (but how likely?)

BBC saying Ryan Kent, Allan McGregor, Alfredo Morelos, Scott Arfield and Filip Helander will all leave Rangers when their contracts expire this summer. Kent or Morelos (the latter if Idah can go out on loan). Anyone fancy any of these? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

This would certainly be a marquee signing, and yes please (but how likely?)

BBC saying Ryan Kent, Allan McGregor, Alfredo Morelos, Scott Arfield and Filip Helander will all leave Rangers when their contracts expire this summer. Kent or Morelos (the latter if Idah can go out on loan). Anyone fancy any of these? 

Could be some interest there - Kent is definitely a decent player.  Morelos is a bit of a red card waiting to happen, I’ve never been fully sure how good he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Could be some interest there - Kent is definitely a decent player.  Morelos is a bit of a red card waiting to happen, I’ve never been fully sure how good he is.

Can't see Kent wanting to join us when he has a bunch of Prem clubs after him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Rather take Scott Twine off Burnleys hands.... didnt play much so unlikely of use next year... does have a 4yr (now 3) contract though.  Great set pieces... 

This is a great shout. A loan deal would give him experience, us a talented player and Burnley gets back a player who has played consistently at a higher level than before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't see Kent wanting to join us when he has a bunch of Prem clubs after him

He’s said to be close to a move to Fenerbache if you believe twitter. Would take Scott Arfield though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

This is a great shout. A loan deal would give him experience, us a talented player and Burnley gets back a player who has played consistently at a higher level than before. 

Noooooo...... no loans..... this is where the clubs philosophy of developing talent is completely contradicted and flawed by loaning in other teams players.... 1) a gamble, 2) leaves a big hole we can't fill, 3) demoralises our own players and 4) restricts opportunities!   

If we don't have the money, then we have to develop our own.   

Said this last summer, this team isn't good enough for the EPL so we need to reset and redevelop a team..... instead, the club went marching on insisting on a flawed promotion push and look what happened.... 

Well, I will say it again, this team is even less equipped for a promotion push and a reset and redevelopment is desparately needed but guess what..... Stuart is going all out for another tilt at the title..... he doesn't realise he's asking Wagner to 'go to war without any guns'!    Sound familiar!     

We'll be back here next season, probably worse off!     I support the philosophy, they just aren't learning lessons and have lost their way chasing money!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Noooooo...... no loans..... this is where the clubs philosophy of developing talent is completely contradicted and flawed by loaning in other teams players.... 1) a gamble, 2) leaves a big hole we can't fill, 3) demoralises our own players and 4) restricts opportunities!   

If we don't have the money, then we have to develop our own.   

Said this last summer, this team isn't good enough for the EPL so we need to reset and redevelop a team..... instead, the club went marching on insisting on a flawed promotion push and look what happened.... 

Well, I will say it again, this team is even less equipped for a promotion push and a reset and redevelopment is desparately needed but guess what..... Stuart is going all out for another tilt at the title..... he doesn't realise he's asking Wagner to 'go to war without any guns'!    Sound familiar!     

We'll be back here next season, probably worse off!     I support the philosophy, they just aren't learning lessons and have lost their way chasing money!   

If we don’t use the loan market at all, we are both cutting off our nose to spite our face and also making it less likely we’ll succeed.  It’s a daft notion that we don’t need to when everyone else does.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

*snip*

1. Burnley aren't going to sanction a sale of a young player with potential who they spent £££ on last season and years left on his contract.

2.  If they do it would be for a value far more than we can afford. 

3. Avoiding the loan market altogether is absolutely stupid. All clubs use it. Both Burnley and Sheffield utd did and at Wembley there'll be at least 4 of the 22 players there playing on loan. 

Just nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loan market can work well Skip was a great loan signing the problem is when we end up with a Hayden, Kabak,Norman ect

Edited by tricky974
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've said similar on the Hayden thread, it's about balance. If we could have Ollie Skipp on loan again next year, but it was just a straight loan with no chance of a permanent, would/ should we take it?

The alternative would be a player who (in all likelihood, but never say never) would not be as good but is within our permanent grasp.  

We'd be foolish to simply rule out high level loans for the sake of keeping the bloodline pure. It only really becomes a problem when you reach Schalke levels (something like 10 senior squad players are on loan)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess loans are as difficult as signings. But if we'd loaned Naismith we'd only have had him that one season...

Last season...

Ramsey - great loan signing hit the ground running and we missed when he went back.

Marquinhos - contributed very little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

If we don’t use the loan market at all, we are both cutting off our nose to spite our face and also making it less likely we’ll succeed.  It’s a daft notion that we don’t need to when everyone else does.

We aren’t everyone else.   Webber said last week, ‘we have to do things differently’!   Comment on the argument’s reasoning I put forward.  
How do we create a squad of sufficient depth and experience without money?    How do we get to a point where, on a promotion, we can add to improve and be competitive rather than have to replace players first with the little expenditure we have?   Last time we started an EPL season with a far worse team than the one that got us promoted.    Partly because we loaned and developed a Spurs player.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

1. Burnley aren't going to sanction a sale of a young player with potential who they spent £££ on last season and years left on his contract.

2.  If they do it would be for a value far more than we can afford. 

3. Avoiding the loan market altogether is absolutely stupid. All clubs use it. Both Burnley and Sheffield utd did and at Wembley there'll be at least 4 of the 22 players there playing on loan. 

Just nuts.

Maybe they won’t unless they don’t see him being a part and want to offload.   As for the rest, refer you to my answer to Branson which is likely to be above this reply.

Burnley and Sheff Utd will probably find a substantial amount of money over the next few months to purchase reinforcements.    We can’t do that as was explained last week.    
 

Was Hayden worth the loan fee and wages?   What a waste.    We could have kept Tzolis, shown some trust in him and given him a run of games instead of Ramsey and we may be better for it.   Fact is Ramsey was in the way and we didn’t get promoted.   Neither did we reset and develop a new team, we wasted a year and regressed instead because the flawed expectations were unrealistic.    We’re not ready for a promotion, it will take longer than a season so why loan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last 6 years Winks has been unavailable for 460 days, mainly due to ankle and groin injuries. 

The site I looked at says he currently earns £50k a week on a contract which expires in June 2024.

Bearing in mind the huge amount of money wasted on buying players with an injury record in the past I'd be surprised if we risked it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Bearing in mind the huge amount of money wasted on buying players with an injury record in the past I'd be surprised if we risked it again. 

To the contrary it is law that we sign one injury prone defensive midfielder every year 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

 

Rashica - According to reports in Turkey Gala want to pay 4 million euros, we want 7.5.

PL clubs are linked with several Gala players, two for €25m each and another for €35m. I would think we'll sit on this one to see how much they really want him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We aren’t everyone else.   Webber said last week, ‘we have to do things differently’!   Comment on the argument’s reasoning I put forward.  
How do we create a squad of sufficient depth and experience without money?    How do we get to a point where, on a promotion, we can add to improve and be competitive rather than have to replace players first with the little expenditure we have?   Last time we started an EPL season with a far worse team than the one that got us promoted.    Partly because we loaned and developed a Spurs player.   

Quite happy to. comment on it: in simple terms I just don’t agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...