Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

4 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Tzolis was a few weeks before the start of the season, Sargent was before that 

First game of the season was 14th August.

Sargent signed on the 9th August.
Tzolis signed on the 12th August.
Williams signed on 23 August.
Normann signed on 29th August.
Kabak signed on 30th August.

So no. Not a few weeks. 2 days and 5 days respectively. 

8 hours ago, chicken said:

First game of the season was 14th August.

Sargent signed on the 9th August.
Tzolis signed on the 12th August.
Williams signed on 23 August.
Normann signed on 29th August.
Kabak signed on 30th August.

So no. Not a few weeks. 2 days and 5 days respectively. 

Sorry I was wrong, I’ll just google everything next time and be perfect like you 😊

13 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Because our Govt is dumb. We can set whatever rules we want to, but it’s still ridiculously hard to bring people in. Like anyone is concerned about the immigration of professional footballers.

Whisper it quietly, as it might upset the gammon, but in a couple of weeks the DWP will announce new rules for football clubs which will mean signing EU players becomes easier - it is based on previous season's English settled player appearances, so has a sliding scale, but in theory we can sign up to three EU players for next season when the rules are approved by parliament. 

27 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Doesn't really make sense after signing Stacey. I'd imagine Liverpool would want Ramsay to be more-or-less a guaranteed starter.

Well it depends on his versatility and whether any truth in it or not. Looking at the source, I suspect this will be guff, but you never know.

Edited by jaberry2

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looks like Torino is Max Johnston's likely destination now.

I think the Stacey signing made the Johnston one look unlikely. 

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think the Stacey signing made the Johnston one look unlikely. 

Yes unfortunately. I would have preferred Max over Stacy, seems to be highly thought of.

It feels a bit here and now rather than building for the future, but you can't force good young players to sign for us.

Edited by Capt. Pants

7 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Sorry I was wrong, I’ll just google everything next time and be perfect like you 😊

I didn't use google...

I'm not perfect either, far from it. I was just taught by my stepfather to know the position in a discussion I want to hold.

In otherwords, if you want to challenge a position you need to at least double check what reasoning you are using. That's all.

Nothing here is 'personal'.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes unfortunately. I would have preferred Max over Stacy, seems to be highly thought of.

It feels a bit here and now rather than building for the future, but you can't good young players to sign for us.

We already have Mumba for the future. We have a lot of 'for the future', we have a massive gap in our squad lacking players 25-30, aka the peak time in a players career.

If last season taught us anything it's that we need consistancy and relying purely one youngsters won't give you that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

It feels a bit here and now rather than building for the future, but you can't force good young players to sign for us.

I think when you think over what we lacked this season - in particular, experience, mentality and character - Stacey makes a lot more sense than a lad who has seemingly come onto the scene and done well in a league we all know is leagues behind even the Championship outside of Rangers and Celtic. 

Stacey will need less time to adapt, offers more from the experience, mentality and character perspective and has been exactly where we are now with Bournemouth. 

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Whisper it quietly, as it might upset the gammon, but in a couple of weeks the DWP will announce new rules for football clubs which will mean signing EU players becomes easier - it is based on previous season's English settled player appearances, so has a sliding scale, but in theory we can sign up to three EU players for next season when the rules are approved by parliament. 

Thank god for common sense, hopefully a move in the right direction.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I didn't use google...

I'm not perfect either, far from it. I was just taught by my stepfather to know the position in a discussion I want to hold.

In otherwords, if you want to challenge a position you need to at least double check what reasoning you are using. That's all.

Nothing here is 'personal'.

Really? You and canarydan are going at each other literally a few threads down with personal jibes. 

Edited by Dr Greenthumb

Sheffield Utd apparently in preliminary talks with us about a transfer for "one of our players" reports the Sheffield Star. It's a really very vague report though. 

They don't actually know who but name Giannoulis, Aarons and Ombamodiele as the likely targets. The article also details the issues the club has financially right now - so I'd suggest it's less likely to be Ombamodiele, personally.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

36 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Really? You and canarydan are going at each other literally a few threads down with personal jibes. 

Canarydan is a **** though.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'll be honest and say I know very little about either, but the one thing I've moaned about is our signings always seem to be about the future. I'm glad we're starting to think about the now.

I had a look on Bournemouths FB page, they seem to think we've got a good signing here.

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sheffield Utd apparently in talks with us about a transfer for "one of our players" reports the Sheffield Star.

They don't actually know who but name Giannoulis, Aarons and Ombamodiele as the likely targets. The article also details the issues the club has financially right now - so I'd suggest it's less likely to be Ombamodiele, personally.

Dimi does not strike me as a Sheffield United signing, or one that would get a Premier League move. Aarons perhaps but I'm sure he and his agent would be aiming higher. Same with Omo if it was AC Milan interested in January.

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Dimi does not strike me as a Sheffield United signing, or one that would get a Premier League move. Aarons perhaps but I'm sure he and his agent would be aiming higher. Same with Omo if it was AC Milan interested in January.

I just had a snoop on their website. They're discussing this too. Say they don't think it's a RB as they're well stocked in that position. Couple of people named Sargent as the player they'd like it to be which surprised me.

56 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'll be honest and say I know very little about either, but the one thing I've moaned about is our signings always seem to be about the future. I'm glad we're starting to think about the now.

I had a look on Bournemouths FB page, they seem to think we've got a good signing here.

No I get that, and believe you me the dross we watched for the past 2 seasons I'm up for a bit of here and now 

This feels more like a push for promotion though rather than a long term plan.

Hopefully the likes of Sara, Nunez, Tzolis, Idah, even Sargent can push on with a bit of consistency around them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

'Here' as in, what I'd said. You responded in a way that seemed you'd been offended that's all.

I think you'll find canarydan decided to go on multiple threads no matter their subject and just berate and slag multiple people off. Some posters are just like that sadly.

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

'Here' as in, what I'd said. You responded in a way that seemed you'd been offended that's all.

I think you'll find canarydan decided to go on multiple threads no matter their subject and just berate and slag multiple people off. Some posters are just like that sadly.

They certainly are, I just don’t get it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I just had a snoop on their website. They're discussing this too. Say they don't think it's a RB as they're well stocked in that position. Couple of people named Sargent as the player they'd like it to be which surprised me.

Left field stab in the dark... Rashica.

I hope it's not Sargent personally. 

50 minutes ago, chicken said:

No offence taken here, I couldn’t give two hoots what anyone thinks of me on here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I would say that if anything, we went too far that way after starting with a nicely mixed bag. We were bringing through the likes of Cantwell, Godfrey, Maddison, Lewis, Aarons etc and complimenting that with Hanley, Stiepermann, Zimmermann, Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner, Krul and Hernandez.

We then added Pukki and Rhodes came in on loan. Gibson and Giannoulis were not youngsters either. Even Gunn wasn't particularly young when we signed him permanently.

The issue we have had is those experienced players have slowly ebbed away over the last couple of seasons, either not quite being up to scratch or their age starting to show etc. Leaving us with mainly youngsters and few players between the two.

Perhaps because we signed Sargent and Tzolis - both very young at the time, and the likes of PLM and Rashica - both older - opted not to hang around. And Nunez and Sara are both young again.

We need to go back to getting that mixture right of more 25-30yr olds in their peak zone, some more experienced heads 30+ and then hopefully they can help the younger players around them leading by example and giving encouragement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

That’s good news. When the signing of Stacey was first announced was a lot of positivity on here until an article said that his career has been littered with injuries, giving some fans the impression that we’ve just signed another Sam Byram. However, he doesn’t seem to have a bad injury record and if the Bournemouth fans think we’ve made a good signing that’s positive

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sargent isn't that surprising. Sharp is toò old to make an impression in the Prem, McBurnie didn't make an impression last time they were there, Brewster is turning out to be a sicknote, Jebberson is Idah personified, Ndiaye will be used as a number 10 off the lone striker. For this reason I can see Sargent being exactly the type of striker the Blades could make a success of. The only question is how much of their supposedly fixed £20m transfer fund they might offer?