Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

I remember getting the impression he thought he was too good for us? Perhaps time has provided a reality check.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Religion takes man's noblest feelings, spirituality, the idea that there is something greater than ourselves, & corrupts it for the benefit of those who desire worldly power.

This is a good an explanation of religion I've seen. Big religions have become huge influential dinasours that actually complicate what should be a simple message. 

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This is a good an explanation of religion I've seen. Big religions have become huge influential dinasours that actually complicate what should be a simple message. 

This is the summer transfer thread, not a justifying religion thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

At the time I believe we had actually agreed a permanent deal but the player pulled an about-face last minute and would only agree to a loan. So I imagine Webbers dismissal was based on that. 

Think he'd be a perfect player on the left of a 3.

That is how I remember it too- everyone seemed to think it was going to be perm, then it had fallen through, then it was back on but only as a loan.

30 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Wasn't that deal contingent on promotion?

I'm afraid I can't recall any more than the deal being all-but-signed before the player side would only accept a loan.

At the time I have a feeling it was after an extended visit to Colney that did not impress, but that might be bleed from a host of others that were supposed to have said the same.

6 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I'm afraid I can't recall any more than the deal being all-but-signed before the player side would only accept a loan.

At the time I have a feeling it was after an extended visit to Colney that did not impress, but that might be bleed from a host of others that were supposed to have said the same.

So I just had a look back because I remember some weirdness around this time.

We'd apparently agreed a permanent deal with Ajax for Dijks then he said no.

We then agreed a fee for Marvin Zeeglar who also turned us down (and ended up at Watford 6 months later).

Dijks then agreed to join on loan.

Phil Jones has been released by Manchester United. He will be perfect for us... a centre back that would hardly play and with Byram gone someone he would fill the Jarvis/Byram/Hayden ward at Colney.

After Webbers interview I'm going to guess at Andy Carroll signing followed by Barry Bannan if Wednesday don't go up .......

13 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

we should just close the thread now. Everyone is leaving and we're only signing 37 yearold journeymen. 

Thread went downhill when we started talking about legal systems..

• Haha 1

Well it looks as though we continue to be self funded so I'm not expecting too many exciting incomings tbh.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well it looks as though we continue to be self funded so I'm not expecting too many exciting incomings tbh.

Just curious, do you think Webber’s going to turn around and outwardly say “now Mark’s going to take over we’re going to have a fair bit of £ to throw around”?? 

16 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Just curious, do you think Webber’s going to turn around and outwardly say “now Mark’s going to take over we’re going to have a fair bit of £ to throw around”?? 

From what I have read on another thread from Purplecanary, Webber's clearly said there will be no new money available for the summer transfer window.

25 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

From what I have read on another thread from Purplecanary, Webber's clearly said there will be no new money available for the summer transfer window.

I don’t disagree, but that wasn’t really the question - it was whether Webber would admit to having additional money if we did have it, ie probably not. But I don’t think we have any anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 13:20, repman said:

I think in the case of our strikers we already have the options for the next few years, that is if things go to plan.We can't go on giving our young players occasional starts while expecting them to progress at the same time. If this is a true rebuild as advertised then the focus for next season should be getting our younger players as many minutes as possible, this is true not just up front but all over the pitch.

Maybe some of them will turn out not to be good enough but until we try we're stuck in a holding pattern. if Barnes joins and is our first choice striker that's a problem, if he's the backup then I don't see the problem. However if the Ince rumours turn out to be true I'd completely agree with you.

That is based on a false premise. The first team is NOT a proving ground. Gibbs was not picked to help him develop, he was picked because he was seen as being 'up to it'. Those out on loan last season were there as they were thought not to be. Hence the loans, and not 'developing' in the first team

Elsewhere, it is often talked about the spine of the team. I believe we are nearly there with that. Certainly with Gunn and now Barnes. How effective will Hanley and McLean be, we will have to wait to see.  An ex Pl player in the mould of Suggett or O'Neil is what is needed. I also think there are plenty of young players in our lower leagues and Scotland we can pick up. As, in contrast to what some on here imagine, we are a Championship club, with a Championship income. Parachute payments are used to cover PL contracts, still running (albeit reduced)>

Lambert took us from 1-7 hammering at home to 3 seasons in the PL with no major signings, it can be done - Luton, Coventry. Webbers comments today highlighted that the club are well aware of our position, just shame some on here are not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We said that last season and then Sara and Nunez rocked up.  Although I'd be surprised if we threw that kind of cash around again without significant departures, he isn't likely to show his hand even if we did have.

Webber on the club channel interview has said that hes very confident that signing #2 and a coaching staff addition will be with us within the week 

I imagine it's a set piece coach.

22 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

That is based on a false premise. The first team is NOT a proving ground. Gibbs was not picked to help him develop, he was picked because he was seen as being 'up to it'. Those out on loan last season were there as they were thought not to be. Hence the loans, and not 'developing' in the first team

Both things can be true, just because a young player is good enough it doesn't mean he cannot develop further. It's all about challenging players and seeing them grow as a result. Gibbs is good, but he's young and inexperienced, it's very rare for a young player to get in the team and then churn out a full season of consistent performances. If they do that they're probably ready to go on to bigger things. Not all our young players are that, for many of them we might be the ceiling of their abilities, that's still a very valuable asset to us. The next step for these young players is to play consistently for us, whether they're truly capable of that they'll have to prove. My point was that they'll never prove it if we don't give them the chance to.

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

Tom Ince, come on down.

Seems we have given up on up and coming promising players and are turning into a retirement home, huzzah

Seriously though, getting some age and experience in might be a good thing to help our younger players out

After contracts expire, a couple of loanees return (I'm counting Mumba and Tompkinson) to the squad and Barnes joins officially our average age will be 25.

That's obviously boosted by Krul who is not in the starting 11 these days and Hanley who is out for a long time.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems we have given up on up and coming promising players and are turning into a retirement home, huzzah

Seriously though, getting some age and experience in might be a good thing to help our younger players out

I love how everyone’s bemoaning anyone being signed in their late 20s or 30s. If that was the case in my job I should be taken out to pasture and shot. And 75% of the posters on here should be dust in the air. 

13 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

After contracts expire, a couple of loanees return (I'm counting Mumba and Tompkinson) to the squad and Barnes joins officially our average age will be 25.

That's obviously boosted by Krul who is not in the starting 11 these days and Hanley who is out for a long time.

Thinking about it further there's a good chance a decent chunk of the middle group (23-27) won't be here next season either. Aarons, Giannoulis, Placheta almost certainly. Sorensen maybe. Sara probably not but maybe.

Club are absolutely right to be signing a few more experienced players.

43 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you have every opinion you have no opinion at all. 

12 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Linked to Ryan Manning via a crappy twitter account...

I mean, Rotherham interested 😆

This meets that sorta thing we've seen and discussed on here before. A team closeish to the actual one interested, and a random team thrown into the mix.

5 goals and 10 assists this season, fairly even split from LM and LB.
image.png.bebb8a8cea45c1857e50221b3f20f51f.png

4 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

If you have every opinion you have no opinion at all. 

He usually likes to cover all bases or what he thinks is the popular opinion at the time 

• Haha 1