Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

How much for Mullin?

Should we make an offer? 

He knows where the goal is with both feet. 

Edited by stewfil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stewfil said:

Should we make an offer? 

He knows where the goal is with both feet. 

He's 29; the age alone is off putting; Vardy was 25/26 when he signed for Leicester big, big difference. Your effectively buying a player who'll realistically physically decline within 2-3 years; for a lot of Money and on a high wage (He was offered per week £9k to move down a division and I assume his contract is long as well) That's probably not much less than what any championship club would offer anyway; I just don't see it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CrankyCanary said:

He's 29; the age alone is off putting; Vardy was 25/26 when he signed for Leicester big, big difference. Your effectively buying a player who'll realistically physically decline within 2-3 years; for a lot of Money and on a high wage (He was offered per week £9k to move down a division and I assume his contract is long as well) That's probably not much less than what any championship club would offer anyway; I just don't see it.

I made the Langstaff post because I thought that was a bit more realistic because he will attract Championship interest; and he's spent his career climbing the Leagues; he'll be hungrier. along with the fact that he's (almost) 3 years younger; But ignoring that I still expect him to stay at County. Both Wrexham and County are ridiculously Rich even by Lower end Football League standards: the only reason there still there is that getting out of the National League is like climbing a sheer wall with toothpicks for assistance.

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Mullin?  I think he’s probably a solid L1 striker. So, no thanks. 

He'd fit in with our L1 strikers well then 🤣

24 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

He'd fit in with our L1 strikers well then 🤣

Exactly - sadly some posters are still stuck with the idea that we're somehow still a PL club just waiting to 'bounce back'!!

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Exactly - sadly some posters are still stuck with the idea that we're somehow still a PL club just waiting to 'bounce back'!!

Who?  Or is it the same people who seem to think that Pukki’s dire form is only due to not having chances created for him.

Whatever, buying a L1 striker would be stupid unless we were planning for a relegation.

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Who?  Or is it the same people who seem to think that Pukki’s dire form is only due to not having chances created for him.

Whatever, buying a L1 striker would be stupid unless we were planning for a relegation.

So we should never buy a player from a club below us in league standing then? How absurd!

18 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So we should never buy a player from a club below us in league standing then? How absurd!

Where the hell did I say that?!  You’re entirely missing the point. He’s 28, his level does not feel likely to be in the Championship. 

3 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Watched the show ‘Welcome to Wrexham’ and he moved there to be closer to family. Was top goalscorer and has a stand named after him at Cambridge for his goalscorer herorics. Won’t come here. The Notts County striker is definitely worth a scout at the very least. Can’t be any worse than Sarge and Idah

We are talking about non-league players here. There are examples of it happening of course, but to see them make a jump from non league to the championship and excel is pretty unlikely. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

2 hours ago, CrankyCanary said:

I made the Langstaff post because I thought that was a bit more realistic because he will attract Championship interest; and he's spent his career climbing the Leagues; he'll be hungrier. along with the fact that he's (almost) 3 years younger; But ignoring that I still expect him to stay at County. Both Wrexham and County are ridiculously Rich even by Lower end Football League standards: the only reason there still there is that getting out of the National League is like climbing a sheer wall with toothpicks for assistance.

Notts Country are indeed wealthy by National League and possibly even League Two standards, but I still expect Langstaff to end up at a lower Championship or higher League One club given the season he has had. He'll have good offers for much more money than he's on now.

Mullin, however, is 28 and Wrexham will likely be paying insane wages for that level of football, so I doubt he'd receive as many offers from higher levels, and they probably wouldn't come with a pay rise either.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wasnt Holt a L1 striker when we bought him? Certainly lower league

Edited by Samwam27
Error

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We are talking about non-league players here. There are examples of it happening of course, but to see them make a jump from non league to the championship and excel is pretty unlikely. 

Again he was at Cambridge in League 1 and made the move for family reasons. Plus i bet he is on better wages at Wrexham than he was at Cambridge which obv helps with the move. 

7 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Wasnt Holt a L1 striker when we bought him? Certainly lower league

He was playing for Shrewsbury in L1, not for a non league side. And you may forget but we were in L1.

The point is that we are surely looking for equal-to or preferably better than what we have.  By all means look in the lower leagues - we seem to have failed to do that effectively for a while - but I am pretty sure he is not the answer.

11 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

Again he was at Cambridge in League 1 and made the move for family reasons. Plus i bet he is on better wages at Wrexham than he was at Cambridge which obv helps with the move. 

Someone told me he’s on £5k a week, not bad for non league.  I don’t even know why we’re even having this discussion, Mullin not even the best striker in that division!  It strikes me someone has never actually watched non league and is just going with the flow.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Where the hell did I say that?!  You’re entirely missing the point. He’s 28, his level does not feel likely to be in the Championship. 

Er did we not sign a certain Adam Drury from Peterborough when we are a division above them. The rest is history.

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Er did we not sign a certain Adam Drury from Peterborough when we are a division above them. The rest is history.

Do you not bother reading replies?  We should absolutely look at signing players in lower leagues. That is not, and has never been in dispute, particularly from me.  My point is that imo Mullin is not a championship striker and not worth us looking at - there are better in that same division.

I hope that helps.

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Alternatively they realise they we aren’t a National League club who have just been promoted to League 2

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We need to be signing someone better than Pukki not worse than Sargent and Idah.

We're not going to sign someone better than Pukki. We can sign someone who has the potential to be possibly at a stretch even to Pukki; eventually. To get a Pukki equivalent we'll be looking at Farke Era signings again.