Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

How much for Mullin?

8 hours ago, CrankyCanary said:

I made the Langstaff post because I thought that was a bit more realistic because he will attract Championship interest; and he's spent his career climbing the Leagues; he'll be hungrier. along with the fact that he's (almost) 3 years younger; But ignoring that I still expect him to stay at County. Both Wrexham and County are ridiculously Rich even by Lower end Football League standards: the only reason there still there is that getting out of the National League is like climbing a sheer wall with toothpicks for assistance.

Their owners have more money than ours 😂

Mullin is a scouser. Wrexham and Norwich are now  just 2 divisions apart heading in different directions as clubs. There is a massive rollercoaster going on at Wrexham due to the new owners. Why would he move? 
(speaking as a North Wales resident)

22 hours ago, CrankyCanary said:

He's 29; the age alone is off putting

Isn't this a bit of Webber's skewed Football Manager derived logic and sickness creeping into the fanbase though.

I saw an interview with Tony Pulis the other day (now retired) and he discussed how the chairman at Stoke was reluctant to sign a 30 year old Peter Crouch because he wouldn't have resale value, he asked Pulis to justify the signing and he simply said "he won't have resale value, but he'll keep Stoke in the Premier League for the next 3 or 4 seasons".

Then you see Newcastle going out and buying a leader in Kieron Trippier at the age of 31. What a 31 year old Trippier could offer Howe and Newcastle isn't something that a 25 year old Trippier could have offered. 

And I feel we could really have done with 31/32 year old Lukas Rupp this season.

There's a whole world of difference between becoming a retirement home and signing a few quality experienced players. That said, the 'experienced players' we could perhaps do with right now are those with experience in the top two divisions, not one from the National League.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Isn't this a bit of Webber's skewed Football Manager derived logic and sickness creeping into the fanbase though.

I saw an interview with Tony Pulis the other day (now retired) and he discussed how the chairman at Stoke was reluctant to sign a 30 year old Peter Crouch because he wouldn't have resale value, he asked Pulis to justify the signing and he simply said "he won't have resale value, but he'll keep Stoke in the Premier League for the next 3 or 4 seasons".

Then you see Newcastle going out and buying a leader in Kieron Trippier at the age of 31. What a 31 year old Trippier could offer Howe and Newcastle isn't something that a 25 year old Trippier could have offered. 

And I feel we could really have done with 31/32 year old Lukas Rupp this season.

There's a whole world of difference between becoming a retirement home and signing a few quality experienced players. That said, the 'experienced players' we could perhaps do with right now are those with experience in the top two divisions, not one from the National League.

Very different cases I'd say.

With Crouch and Trippier there age is offset by the fact they are proven commodities at the top level. Mullin has never hit double figures above League Two. I wouldn't be anti us signing a 28/29 year old with a strong Championship track record (ala Jordan Rhodes a few years ago) but expecting a 29 year old striker to step up this far would be a very long shot.

• Like 2