Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

R Martin warming up very nicely

Little has been mentioned of the legends return on Saturday. Irrespective of 'the play offs' it promises to be intriguing. The boy has suffered from inconsistency in his team and apparent lack of financial support from the 'American Owners'! Often horribly vilified by Swans fans on their forum he nevertheless has cultivated a 'fall back' hero status with his record against Cardiff in that very feisty South Wales derby.

If you thought Herr Farkes team in 2017-2018 played obsessive, possession football you ain't seen nothing yet when Swansea start playing. Their possession stats are often amazing although that does not always translate into winning matches. If we do go on to fail to win tonight, I fear that R Martin will deliver the final mortal blow.   

We’ve already been dealt a mortal blow. The play offs are long gone. And Webber is hanging around. 

Seemingly the Swans are the form team of the division. Left it a little too late for playoffs but could be a dark hoese next season

31 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Why would he leave Swansea to come here!? 

More to the point, why would we want him to? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I dont have the answer to either question and I dont want him either but I can see it happening

8 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Not saying I would necessarily support R Martin returning as manager but I suspect you will see the reason  why he might be on Saturday when comparing the respective merits  of both teams.

• Like 2

The ONLY reason anyone wants Russel Martin is because he played here and not because of his managerial record. It would be a real symptom of all that has been wrong with this club- cosy little Norwich syndrome- to appoint him until he has actually achieved something in his work as a manager not a past player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The ONLY reason anyone wants Russel Martin is because he played here and not because of his managerial record. It would be a real symptom of all that has been wrong with this club- cosy little Norwich syndrome- to appoint him until he has actually achieved something in his work as a manager not a past player. 

What had Farke and Lambert achieved before coming here? Sometimes you have to judge an up-and-coming coach on their potential and individual merits when considering what they could bring to a role, and not just what they've achieved, otherwise the same old faces on the managerial merry-go-round will just keep coming back over and over again.

Martin has a clear philosophy, seems a good man-manager and is someone who would trust and develop young players. Even aside from the Norwich connection, he was my first choice in January and I think he'd be an excellent choice here when the vacancy next arises. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

What had Farke and Lambert achieved before coming here? Sometimes you have to judge an up-and-coming coach on their potential and individual merits when considering what they could bring to a role, and not just what they've achieved, otherwise the same old faces on the managerial merry-go-round will just keep coming back over and over again.

Martin has a clear philosophy, seems a good man-manager and is someone who would trust and develop young players. Even aside from the Norwich connection, he was my first choice in January and I think he'd be an excellent choice here when the vacancy next arises. 

Perversely, DCB's mentality is why no ex-player will ever succeed in management at Norwich, because there'll be too many naysayers dismissing them before they've kicked a ball.

Mind you, Dean Smith had no history with us and he was dismissed as well. Maybe complete nobodies who've had nothing to do with us have the best chance of getting a fair crack of the whip and that's why we have the most success with them.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

31 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

So what had A Neil 'achieved' then prior to McNally swooping? I actually think what the boy Martin has done v the backdrop of almost unrelenting criticism from Jacks + precious little financial backing from owners is pretty good. NB that atill doesn't imply I would necessarily want him here as manager. 

30 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Perversely, DCB's mentality is why no ex-player will ever succeed in management at Norwich, because there'll be too many naysayers dismissing them before they've kicked a ball.

That was one of my biggest reservations about Martin, to be honest, which is a shame. Most clubs would welcome a former captain back as head coach, but I get the impression that Martin's appointment would get people complaining about a 'little old Norwich' mentality.

37 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Mind you, Dean Smith had no history with us and he was dismissed as well. Maybe complete nobodies who've had nothing to do with us have the best chance of getting a fair crack of the whip and that's why we have the most success with them.

I’m sure Mark Robins would receive a warm welcome and succeed here. A decent player too at Norwich as I’m sure you remember. 

• Like 1

Martin would not be a good fit as we have a fanbase who wouldn't be able to differentiate him as a coach from the player who was often derided.

It will be an interesting comparison of styles on Saturday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

I expect like others have said you will see why on Saturday 

Edited by Yellowhammer

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Martin would not be a good fit as we have a fanbase who wouldn't be able to differentiate him as a coach from the player who was often derided.

It will be an interesting comparison of styles on Saturday.

We have a style? Wow....

Will be very interesting to see Swansea play us.  If they out possess us, Farke style and limit us to hardly any chances, then steal a 1-0 win, then it will reinforce the stupidity in getting rid of Farke.  For a team to do that to us would be the ultimate insult imo. We had the man who could create a team that could play the most beautiful football at this level we have seen for years and we let him go.  Russell Martin is emulating that at Swansea - resurrecting the Swansalona era of a few years ago - and he may well succeed, Farke style next season.

Would he come to Norwich - I doubt that - if he does succeed at Swansea his next stop will be a PL team.

26 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We have a style? Wow....

No we don't, at least that I can see.

The criticism of Martin's style has been the lack of end product, too many passes. Our fans can't cope with us playing ourselves out from the back so I'm not sure how it would go down here!

I guess we just have to hope that Wagner, once he has a fit squad and reinforcements, can stamp his style on our team. It's a p1ss poor league, we really have to be doing better than this garbage.

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Agree but if and when he achieved something as a manager, we wouldn't then stand a chance of getting him as ours as bigger clubs (and he's on many a radar, including Brighton's) would then start to show an interest ih him.

I don't think he'd come back here anyway. 

On Saturday Russ is likely to remind us of the entertaining possession-based style we once had! If so, it's going to be frustrating - and could easily get the home crowd booing our wasteful season. I'm not expecting a particularly pleasant atmosphere tbh...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Will be very interesting to see Swansea play us.  If they out possess us, Farke style and limit us to hardly any chances, then steal a 1-0 win, then it will reinforce the stupidity in getting rid of Farke.  For a team to do that to us would be the ultimate insult imo. We had the man who could create a team that could play the most beautiful football at this level we have seen for years and we let him go.  Russell Martin is emulating that at Swansea - resurrecting the Swansalona era of a few years ago - and he may well succeed, Farke style next season.

Would he come to Norwich - I doubt that - if he does succeed at Swansea his next stop will be a PL team.

When will you get over the fact that your love Farke has left and won’t be back?

God sake your love for him is cringeworthy 

35 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

When will you get over the fact that your love Farke has left and won’t be back?

God sake your love for him is cringeworthy 

I have equal amount of "love" (if you want to call it that) for the football of the late 80's and early 90's, with Stringer, Williams and Walker. That football was beautiful and instinctive and at least as good as what Farke did at his best, if not better. So it is less about the personality than the football those people brought with them. 

Farke had a style, it worked up to the limits of what we could afford in players - and the stupidity of throwing that away, with no sense of continuity of footballing style in the football that followed was unbelievable, against what Webber said he would do.  When Stringer stepped down, we had a ready made replacement in Walker and he took us on to a higher level still.  How Webber expected Smith to do that after Farke, is unfathomable.

Martin is trying something at Swansea that many of their supporters will empathize with - under Rogers, they became known as Swansalona - and they went away from that, but under Martin are getting back to that style. He could do that at Norwich, but I fear it would turn sour before it got anywhere, as our supporters seem to want instant gratrification - as seen under Farke, who was clearly trying to create something similar at Norwich and took a season and a half for it to start to flourish. If Martin returned to us as manager, there would imo be too many dissenters who didn't rate him when he was here last time and would start noising off if it didn't work straight away - it would split the fanbase.

Yes, I still hanker after the Farke era, I can't help it, he should have been allowed to create a dynasty over ten years or more, whatever the ups and downs.  Those fans that were calling for Farke's sacking got what they wanted - and all that has happened is that we got worse.  Great.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I have equal amount of "love" (if you want to call it that) for the football of the late 80's and early 90's, with Stringer, Williams and Walker. That football was beautiful and instinctive and at least as good as what Farke did at his best, if not better. So it is less about the personality than the football those people brought with them. 

Farke had a style, it worked up to the limits of what we could afford in players - and the stupidity of throwing that away, with no sense of continuity of footballing style in the football that followed was unbelievable, against what Webber said he would do.  When Stringer stepped down, we had a ready made replacement in Walker and he took us on to a higher level still.  How Webber expected Smith to do that after Farke, is unfathomable.

Martin is trying something at Swansea that many of their supporters will empathize with - under Rogers, they became known as Swansalona - and they went away from that, but under Martin are getting back to that style. He could do that at Norwich, but I fear it would turn sour before it got anywhere, as our supporters seem to want instant gratrification - as seen under Farke, who was clearly trying to create something similar at Norwich and took a season and a half for it to start to flourish. If Martin returned to us as manager, there would imo be too many dissenters who didn't rate him when he was here last time and would start noising off if it didn't work straight away - it would split the fanbase.

Yes, I still hanker after the Farke era, I can't help it, he should have been allowed to create a dynasty over ten years or more, whatever the ups and downs.  Those fans that were calling for Farke's sacking got what they wanted - and all that has happened is that we got worse.  Great.

I agree although the teams we had between 1985 and 1995 would have wiped the floor with Farke's team. Their league positions prove that. 

It was wonderful for a short while to visit huge stadiums around the country and watch us win comfortably. 

• Like 1

Whilst Mark Robins was my preference, I would have been more than happy with taking a punt on Martin and said as much at the time. Would have preferred him to Wagner certainly.

Given how Swansea are finishing the season, I suspect we'd be looking forward to a playoff adventure right now had Webber made a more sensible decision.

22 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Whilst Mark Robins was my preference, I would have been more than happy with taking a punt on Martin and said as much at the time. Would have preferred him to Wagner certainly.

Given how Swansea are finishing the season, I suspect we'd be looking forward to a playoff adventure right now had Webber made a more sensible decision.

I'd have taken Martin but I don't think the general fanbase would have - the comments on here at the time were really quite scathing of Martin and it would have taken some time for him to get the squad playing - if the atmosphere went negatively as quickly as the previous manager we'd be even worse off. 

Wagner has come in and said all the right things to get the fans on board and before the long list of injuries had us playing some better football. Since then he seems to have lost the plot with a rule of just substituting every attacking player and moving them around regardless of where they're actually good.

50 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I am in total agreement with all this LDC - I love what DF brought to our club & so does my partner (that was the power of his reach - previously non-football people became positively engaged too). The era of instant gratification would render a Farke-type repeat almost impossible now. Such a shame, because the continuity thing is evident in Russ Martin.

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd have taken Martin but I don't think the general fanbase would have - the comments on here at the time were really quite scathing of Martin and it would have taken some time for him to get the squad playing - if the atmosphere went negatively as quickly as the previous manager we'd be even worse off. 

Wagner has come in and said all the right things to get the fans on board and before the long list of injuries had us playing some better football. Since then he seems to have lost the plot with a rule of just substituting every attacking player and moving them around regardless of where they're actually good.

I must admit, I went from being massively disappointed with his appointment, largely due to the fact that he was a friend of Webber who's a blatant busted flush and his pretty risible record since Huddersfield. I was beginning to be won over with his interview style and evidence of onfield improvement even if the results were not significantly better, but he's started to make bizarre team selections and even more bizarre in game substitutions. He's looking like having the Smith trait of picking his favourites (or maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt with the abject Marquinhos because he's being forced to because of yet more stupid terms in a loan deal?) and repeating the same mistakes over and over again. The massive disappoint I had initially has come back with bells on.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I must admit, I went from being massively disappointed with his appointment, largely due to the fact that he was a friend of Webber who's a blatant busted flush and his pretty risible record since Huddersfield. I was beginning to be won over with his interview style and evidence of onfield improvement even if the results were not significantly better, but he's started to make bizarre team selections and even more bizarre in game substitutions. He's looking like having the Smith trait of picking his favourites (or maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt with the abject Marquinhos because he's being forced to because of yet more stupid terms in a loan deal?) and repeating the same mistakes over and over again. The massive disappoint I had initially has come back with bells on.

Yep. Persisting with Sargent in 10 and Pukki in-front was painful to watch - again he gets a little rope because the injuries meant we didn't have enough midfielders at one point. Even yesterday though, I'd have rather played Hayden CB and Sorensen in that "quarterback" role - Hayden doesn't have a long pass in his locker and it's the one thing that Kenny was able to do in that position to turn the opposition at times. 

I don't know. The best I can say is that Wagner's best performances have exceeded Smiths best performances but they've probably both had equally poor performances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Review this statement on Saturday night. 

His managerial record may not be wonderful but at the same time it is not terrible. He has continually improved as he has gained experience and he has not had the luxury of spending millions on a few players.

Just make the comparison between the different styles of play on Saturday and then tell me who you think will have have the better future as a manager, our present incumbent or Russell Martin.