JuanVelasco

Wonder if Pukki regrets not extending his contract

We were told that there was a contract offer in the summer which Pukki didn't want to sign.

Have to wonder whether he might regret that now, stock falls quickly in football.

0 goals in his last 9 games in the second tier, or 11 if you count Internationals. no goals or assists for us since mid-January, and probably a debate now amongst our fans whether we should just wish him well and move on. 

Its highly unlikely that a 33 year old out of form striker is going to get big financial offers in the summer, and you'd expect any contract offer from us to be at a considerably reduced rate now?

Edited by JuanVelasco

There was me thinking he provided Finland’s assist in the international. Or do you only count them when it suits you?

FYI he has the second highest number of assists in the championship this season ( albeit shared with a number of others).

Yes, he's definitely going to struggle massively by not getting as much for his next contract then if he'd signed the one we offered. And in a cost-of-living crisis too, whatever will he do?

In all seriousness, he won't care. He won't be short of offers regardless of his dip in form and will almost certainly be happier next season than he'd be having another season like this, even if he was earning £20k or £30k a week more. The bloke has probably earned a tenner since I started typing this post.

Edited by canarydan23

If you were Pukki, would you stay for another year of this rubbish? He's capable of playing top tier for another couple of years but age is against him. Perhaps he wants to get and get one last crack at the PL, or in the top tier back home. He owes us nothing. If we provided him with better service he'd still be anything plenty. 

55 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

FYI he has the second highest number of assists in the championship this season

FYI.. you are wrong.

Capture.PNG.38f18fcae36fc5f8f047cf5f386d89b2.PNG

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AJ said:

If you were Pukki, would you stay for another year of this rubbish? If you were Pukki, would you stay for another year of this rubbish? He's capable of playing top tier for another couple of years but age is against him. Perhaps he wants to get and get one last crack at the PL, or in the top tier back home.

Nah, probably wouldn't to be fair, if I were a 33 year old multi millionaire who had a couple of years left in football and was past my peak I'd be seeking out warm climates. Turkey, Greece, Australia, etc, with a little swansong at the end in Finland where I'm a legend. 

But think you are way wide of the mark if you think he'd get Premier League takers now, he's lost a yard of pace and hasn't played with any confidence for well over a year, goal conversion of 18% and shot accuracy of 58% this season makes him less deadly than Oli McBurnie... he's simply not the force he was. There won't be any EPL takers, in fact he's not even been the best finisher from Finland in the Championship! 

Edited by JuanVelasco

Is it possible he just wants to retire or move on and do something else?

No other club is going to increase his wage from what he is earning here. 

I'm sure he's earned enough. He's done a good job and been paid very well for it. 

If he thinks he's been sold short here then I would say he hasn't. We built a team around him and paid a high wage for him. 

He did a lot for the club and is rich as a result. I'm not having this 'i deserved more' attitude. 

Im sure that isn't the case on his part.

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Is it possible he just wants to retire or move on and do something else?

Yes, another possibility is his wife wants to.

44 minutes ago, JuanVelasco said:

Nah, probably wouldn't to be fair, if I were a 33 year old multi millionaire who had a couple of years left in football and was past my peak I'd be seeking out warm climates. Turkey, Greece, Australia, etc, with a little swansong at the end in Finland where I'm a legend. 

But think you are way wide of the mark if you think he'd get Premier League takers now, he's lost a yard of pace and hasn't played with any confidence for well over a year, goal conversion of 18% and shot accuracy of 58% this season makes him less deadly than Oli McBurnie... he's simply not the force he was. There won't be any EPL takers, in fact he's not even been the best finisher from Finland in the Championship! 

I was surprised you didn’t go for Forss in the summer. 

This current Pukki bashing is getting out of proportion. He remains the best footballer on our books and I hope he accepts the contract extension, whatever the cost.

• Like 4

Have to say I disagree that a Prem team wouldn't come in for him. Yes - lower half and - yes - probably wouldn't start every game but I think the likes of Everton/Southampton/Bournemouth would bite you hand off to get him in on a free.

The man's an absolute legend at City. Dip in form at the end of an exceptional few seasons will do nothing to taint that in my eyes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TP doesn't seem the type of player to want to sit on the bench at a PL club which is what he would do. At his age and with his career earnings it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't go to a top Finnish club next season or perhaps one of the poorer leagues in Europe where he would play every week.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

This current Pukki bashing is getting out of proportion. He remains the best footballer on our books and I hope he accepts the contract extension, whatever the cost.

Trouble is that cost includes having to structure the team around him in terms of creative midfielders, and also means the likes of Sargent and Idah get stuck out on the wing.

Two years ago it would have been worth building around Teemu but time is catching up on him.

With supporters talking about a rebuild and getting new players in, is relying on Pukki the right option?

If he's prepared to take a pay cut and accepts that he may be backup then it might be worth a 1 or 2 year extension. Otherwise the journey ends. He has been fastastic for us but neither party owes each other anything.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Based on form since the start of January he’s barely worth his starting spot let alone being ‘the best footballer on our books’.  We need our better players to step up, not go into hiding.  People who point this out aren’t ‘bashing’ him -I’m certainly not, though he was pretty dreadful against Sheff U - but facts are facts and he’s nowhere near his best.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I think it will the opposite and he's happy he made the choice to delay his decision. 

Plus I cannot see how anyone could regret not signing the same offer that still sits in front of them to sign today, or end of season. 

He could get a move to many teams around the world, including those who get European football.  No transfer fee so decent wage. 

Clubs are smart enough to know the player they're getting, and to me he's not a player who's significantly aged, but more mentally worn out at this club.

Edited by Google Bot

Any of the promoted sides this season would welcome Pukki with open arms. I feel if Sheff. Utd go up,thats where he'll end up. Earlier this year he was talking in glowing terms of them as a team. Does'nt owe us anything,and good luck to him.

2 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

Have to say I disagree that a Prem team wouldn't come in for him. Yes - lower half and - yes - probably wouldn't start every game but I think the likes of Everton/Southampton/Bournemouth would bite you hand off to get him in on a free.

The man's an absolute legend at City. Dip in form at the end of an exceptional few seasons will do nothing to taint that in my eyes.

I don't dispute that he's an absolute legend and that we've been blessed to have him, or say anything about a tainted legacy.

Do have to question whether this is actually a "dip in form" as you claim, or whether its more just what an ageing post-peak Pukki looks like. Some Norwich fans seem to be in denial about his decline. 

Edited by JuanVelasco

45 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Any of the promoted sides this season would welcome Pukki with open arms. I feel if Sheff. Utd go up,thats where he'll end up. Earlier this year he was talking in glowing terms of them as a team. Does'nt owe us anything,and good luck to him.

I did see that interview, where he was bigging up a few Sheff Utd players, did wonder whether they'd been in his ear telling him to move there. 

Aren't Sheffield United and Burnley facing long transfer embargoes though? When Derby County had one they were limited to paying free agents and loanees £4k a week! 

Edited by JuanVelasco

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Well that's just a bit reckless isn't it

27 minutes ago, JuanVelasco said:

Well that's just a bit reckless isn't it

You know exactly what I mean, and that is sticking to the terms of the contract offered to him.

While we are at it, your own sentence that, "Some Norwich fans seem to be in denial about his decline." is, in my book, equally contentious as It is only until very recently that this "reckless" wish for NCFC to dispose of the services of Teemu Pukki  has come about. Admittedly, he seems to have lost some edge in recent outings (as has the team as a whole,) but before that, and it's not so long ago, this forum was full of praise for his work rate, the way he looks after himself as a model pro and the influence that his presence has upon the team in general. I don't know just how this rather rapid decline affected his contribution in the recent internationals, but by all accounts he served his country well as usual.

I contend that the player still has a lot to offer NCFC, even though  this might be in a less advanced attacking role, and  mindful of the fact that this would mean we will need a main target man more accomplished than either Sargent and most certainly Idah ever will be.  

Edited by BroadstairsR

Unless we find someone over the summer that can provide the supply to Pukki like Steipermann and Buendia did in past seasons there's really little point in retaining him. I'm not saying we cannot find that type of player, but Webber's team have had a few go's recently but seem to be taking us down a different tactical path (the dreaded 4-3-3). Wagner will no doubt accelerate a move to a different tactical set up to match the players we have and it looks increasingly likely that won't play to Pukki's strengths. We can't afford to carry passengers with parachute payments running out.

It's such a shame that Pukki won't get a century of goals for us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

You know exactly what I mean, and that is sticking to the terms of the contract offered to him.

While we are at it, your own sentence that, "Some Norwich fans seem to be in denial about his decline." is, in my book, equally contentious as It is only until very recently that this "reckless" wish for NCFC to dispose of the services of Teemu Pukki  has come about. Admittedly, he seems to have lost some edge in recent outings (as has the team as a whole,) but before that, and it's not so long ago, this forum was full of praise for his work rate, the way he looks after himself as a model pro and the influence that his presence has upon the team in general. I don't know just how this rather rapid decline affected his contribution in the recent internationals, but by all accounts he served his country well as usual.

I contend that the player still has a lot to offer NCFC, even though  this might be in a less advanced attacking role, and  mindful of the fact that this would mean we will need a main target man more accomplished than either Sargent and most certainly Idah ever will be.  

I doubt anything has changed from the summer to make him want to stay, so I'm not advocating that we take an offer off the table, I can't see him signing one regardless. 

Undoubtedly a legend. Agree with the Brentford fan that not signing Forss and having Pukki mentor him for a year was a missed opportunity, Pukki thinks that Forss is going to develop into a quality striker. 

I think a lot depends on his Family if he wants to live in UK then Newly Promoted team 

if his family want to Move close to Family then Finland as he has made his money 

if they have no ties then Turkey / Usa / Greece  even lesser clubs in Spain / Italy he will not be short of clubs to join 

One question is why does he want to move ? 

always seemed happy here until last summer when talk of club extended contract option for another year on good money yet where his Agent said he would be open to a move  

might be wrong but at the time it did seem we kept him here when he wanted to leave ?

A legend indeed, but he has been hiding for the last two seasons. I lost count of the number of one on one's he missed last year and at the the start of this - and in the last 20 or so games we haven't even been creating them.

Something has to change. Pukki playing means we are one dimensional - everyone has worked us out.

If I was Pukki I would be a bit annoyed that a move to the premier league did not materialise. If you look at the strikers bought by the lower to  mid table teams this season and the goals they have scored in teams which are miles better than Norwich last season. Maupay has one goal cost 15 million, Akowiji at Forest has 5 Dennis as 2, scamacca at West Ham has 5 etc.. 

Really surprised no one took a punt on him yes there is no resale value but his goals would keep you up.

1 hour ago, Ulfotto said:

Really surprised no one took a punt on him yes there is no resale value but his goals would keep you up.

He was deliberately priced out of a move, same with Aarons - You can guarantee there were prem league moves available to both.

This was in September:

Pukki reflected on the summer transfer window admitting to the Pink Un: "You have to think about what is best for you and I felt like I did well enough to keep playing in the Premier League but the transfer didn't happen.

"There were no teams that made a bid that would be enough for Norwich. I think my agent said it as well, I respect my contract and I'm not going to make any problems."

"Of course, there was a feeling in me that I want to try something else but it didn't happen and I'm fully focused here."

Now, whether that has affected his ability this season, who knows.

3 hours ago, sgncfc said:

A legend indeed, but he has been hiding for the last two seasons. I lost count of the number of one on one's he missed last year and at the the start of this - and in the last 20 or so games we haven't even been creating them.

Something has to change. Pukki playing means we are one dimensional - everyone has worked us out.

I understand your concerns about this season, but last season he scored 11 goals and made 3 assists in a season where his team finished rock bottom with just 22 points. He, individually, had a great season is a **** awful team. If he could score 11 goals in the league's worst team, what could he have done in a mid-table EPL team?

He was not hiding last season. He was our player of the season.