cambridgeshire canary

What's worse- This season or Farkes first season with us?

Quick reminder for Farkes first season with us (17-18)

Finished 14th finishing two places above Ipswich who finished 12th

Won 15 games, drew 15 and lost 16

Biggest loss was a 5-1 loss to Sheffield Wednesday

Season could very well be defined by the below two matches

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I'd say the expectation was far lower in 17/18. However, that season and this season are the only ones I've ever opted to not attend games without a very good reason.

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Didn't they finish above us then?

• Haha 1

Personally, this season is worse. In Farkes first season the second half of it saw clear progression particularly at home.

However unless many on here want to rewrite history, they denied it wholeheartedly at the time...

This season hasn't seen clear progression for any sustained period of time.

Interesting question. Contrasting expectations is a huge factor.

If transfermarkt is to be believed, the squad back then had an average age of 25.9, was worth around €69m, an average of €1.8m per player. Now those figures are 25.9, €105m, and €4.2m.

The Championship doesn’t exactly track the RPI:

Champs average

17-18: 25yo, €1.5m €1.4b

22-23: 26.5yo, €2.2m, €1.4b

No shock that it’s mostly our flirtation with the ever-inflating Prem that’s affected our higher squad value and expectations 🙂

PL average

17-18: 26yo, €10.9m, €8.0b

22-23: 27yo, €19.5m, €10.4b (!)

Aside from all that thought, by 17-18 we’d already had our disappointing post-relegation year and a clear-out. Wagner has seemingly come in at a rather earlier stage of that cycle.

We can only  hope that this is his ‘disappointment (half-) year’ and next season can be his springboard year

Edited by GenerationA47
  • Like 1

Also to note in time-honoured fashion, that the combined market value of Premier League squads is greater than the GDP of 68 countries. Almost a third of the world’s nations

No particular footballing point to make, just a thought for the day

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Quick reminder for Farkes first season with us (17-18)

Won 15 games, drew 15 and lost 16

Biggest loss was a 5-1 loss to Sheffield Wednesday

Season could very well be defined by the below two matches

That's a classic my friend!! Lets pull every stunt to finish above them, why not??

We are currently an opposing manager’s dream…

”High press their defenders, they are hopeless under pressure”.

”Set up your deck-chairs in midfield, they haven’t got one”.

”Let their forwards have the ball, they can’t score for toffee”.

”Score a goal, and they’re dead and buried.They never win once going behind”.

Our position in the table is testament to the quality in the Championship this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Farke's first season was about rebuilding, this one is about falling apart. In that respect it rather reminds me of Worthington's post-relegation season  of 2006/7. Our next season might easily become something like Farke's first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A better comparison would be with Alex Neil's final season, having been relegated the season before.

When Farke arrived the team needed rebuilding and he set about a philosophy, was transparent with the fans who bought into it despite some frustrations........... we weren't in a good place financially then either.....

Last season ended with a group of players that weren't good enough,  but rather than start another rebuild, the idiots running this farce decided on a flawed 'promotion at all costs' philosophy without a capable team..... Madness.     The toxic atmosphere at the end of last season was quickly forgotten by far too many fans who come August decided this group of players was good enough for top 2.    They never were, hence pursuing promotion was a flawed ambition.

We were trapped by money and rather than taking stock of our situation / acknowledging where we were, we decided to chase the money.    Consequently, the tired players stayed in the team, we bought in loan players ahead of our own and now the team is in decline, devoid of quality, philosophy, value or ambition.

We now have nothing in place to develop this team, no philosophy (Farke's team knew what they were doing they just needed more time and some additions before it worked).   The youngsters aren't getting game time to develop, instead, we'd rather play players out of position and pick the tired old guard who aren't offering any inspiration or positive momentum.   The ageing players are getting worse and irritating the fans    So instead of a potential promotion next season, we need to use it to develop because we wasted this opportunity.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

This season by a country mile.  Farke was building something...even if it wasnt particularly successful that season, we had a style that was ( slowly) improving. This season has seen us go backwards. 

On 02/04/2023 at 12:11, GenerationA47 said:

Also to note in time-honoured fashion, that the combined market value of Premier League squads is greater than the GDP of 68 countries. Almost a third of the world’s nations

No particular footballing point to make, just a thought for the day

This makes me sad for humanity.

Farke’s first season, however mediocre the team was, had a 19-year-old James Maddison ripping up the league. I haven’t seen someone that young dominate a game in… well, living memory.

As it happened, selling him allowed us to buy several good players for the next season. Spoiler alert: We then won the league.

On 02/04/2023 at 10:41, hogesar said:

Personally, this season is worse. In Farkes first season the second half of it saw clear progression particularly at home.

However unless many on here want to rewrite history, they denied it wholeheartedly at the time...

This season hasn't seen clear progression for any sustained period of time.

I'm not sure about that and I'm Farke's biggest fan. The first season under Farke, you could see how we were trying to play and that kept me into it but the whole first season we were pretty average in terms of results and performances IMHO. I did feel like it would come good but I wouldn't necessarily say I saw any progression.

This season is poor from start to finish really. Having said that, a good transfer window and we could easily win the league next year. The pressure is on recruitment massively in a couple of months time. I think the club will surprise us and we'll be up there challenging next year. We're not as far away as people think.

5 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I'm not sure about that and I'm Farke's biggest fan. The first season under Farke, you could see how we were trying to play and that kept me into it but the whole first season we were pretty average in terms of results and performances IMHO. I did feel like it would come good but I wouldn't necessarily say I saw any progression.

This season is poor from start to finish really. Having said that, a good transfer window and we could easily win the league next year. The pressure is on recruitment massively in a couple of months time. I think the club will surprise us and we'll be up there challenging next year. We're not as far away as people think.

8 hours ago, Robornio said:

Farke’s first season, however mediocre the team was, had a 19-year-old James Maddison ripping up the league. I haven’t seen someone that young dominate a game in… well, living memory.

As it happened, selling him allowed us to buy several good players for the next season. Spoiler alert: We then won the league.

Worth pointing out this was the first team Farke put out for us in a competative fixture

nodge.jpg

Easily this season. Club transfer records broken for some players and irrespective of whether we make the playoffs or not, we should have been challenging for an automatic spot. And the football has been no better. DFs first season wasn't great to watch as the build up was so slow but the football was changing to a possession based game so the players had to adapt.

39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Worth pointing out this was the first team Farke put out for us in a competative fixture

nodge.jpg

That bench isn't too bad.

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That first season it was quite clear we were improving at home in the second half. If we take the end of the year as a rough cut off point, we'd only actually won 3 home games. There were several 0-0 and 1-1 draws.

Second half of the season we won 5 but more important than that, we scored 3 against Villa, 2 against Leeds and 3 vs Reading. We were starting to create more and the results played out that way. For me at least it was pretty clear improvement. I know plenty didn't think so at the time and I was somewhat ridiculed for defending Farke at that point but it wasn't without clear merit.

On 02/04/2023 at 10:48, GenerationA47 said:

If transfermarkt is to be believed, the squad back then had an average age of 25.9, was worth around €69m, an average of €1.8m per player. Now those figures are 25.9, €105m, and €4.2m.

Maddison was sold for £21m  [market value £10m]

Josh Murphey was sold for £10.5m [market value £1.5m]

Gunn was shortly after sold for £13m [market value £2m]

Transfermarkt's data is mostly socially-generated. Yep, kidz in bedrooms plucking numbers outta their a**

• Like 1