Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Potters V Canaries*

Maybe it was the change in shape taking a little while but we seem to be getting to grips a bit now.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And those players have had the psychological battering associated with a humiliating relegation, some of them twice.

Correct, and I'd imagine that a player who has never played Premier League football is naturally going to have more hunger and desire to get there than one who has been there, done it, and took a lot of hidings. 

Stoke commentary team are absolutely incompetent. They have no idea who is who, including their own players 

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We were better in the first half than the second, but Omobamidele played well and made a couple of important tackles. I think we looked worse after half time because Huddersfield weren't letting our centre backs carry the ball unopposed up to about 40 yards of their own goal in the second half, and we struggled once they were being a bit more proactive. 

I think teams tend to press us more when they know its an Omo Hanley partnership. The ball Gibson played to put Sara through a Little while ago is the quality we don't have from any of our other CBs

Just now, hogesar said:

I think teams tend to press us more when they know its an Omo Hanley partnership. The ball Gibson played to put Sara through a Little while ago is the quality we don't have from any of our other CBs

Agreed. I really want to try Omo and Gibson. Hanley is brilliant in the air but for me is poor in pretty much every other area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Its nice having a left footed centre back, especially if playing with a marauding left back, but Gibson isn't imposing enough as a defender, its really difficult to imagine how he could ever have looked good enough to be on the cusp of an England cap and moving for a fee of £15m, even at his best for us in our last promotion season I found it difficult to wrap my head around that.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Stoke commentary team are absolutely incompetent. They have no idea who is who, including their own players 

Relatives of Phil Daley, perhaps?

• Haha 1

Ok at least we're not losing.

Neil will be disappointed Stoke took their foot off the pedal when they were very much on top.

We've finally got out of first gear but I'm far convinced by our formation at the moment.

Well, at least it's 0-0

We did look a bit better in the last 15 minutes of the half, so as Hoggy says, hopefully the players have got to grips with the 442 now.

Before that, I was going to say that we really need to move Sorensen into midfield, to give us an extra body in there and to get Sara on the ball more. Possession was 70-30 Stoke the last time it flashed up on the screen - that's very unusual for us and we definitely need to get hold of it more. I guess Sorensen is at RB to counter the physical presence of the guy playing wide left for Stoke, but it's not a great look when you have to adapt your team and formation to cope with a particular threat from a mid-table Championship team.

Anyone know an emergency dentist in Stoke? Think I'll get all my teeth pulled instead of watching the second half. 

26 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I hate how commentators are overly dramatic for goalkeepers. "Great save", "Terrific Save", "Wonderful save". They were perfectly respectable but had either gone in, questions would have been asked that he didn't do enough.  Every save isn't spectacular.

I rate Gunn, but the first two saves were routine (first one was awful shot from that range and should have scored / made Gunn work harder).

Sorry but thats nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Anyone know an emergency dentist in Stoke? Think I'll get all my teeth pulled instead of watching the second half. 

My mate Steve lives in Stoke, he has a baseball bat you can borrow 

6 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Well, at least it's 0-0

We did look a bit better in the last 15 minutes of the half, so as Hoggy says, hopefully the players have got to grips with the 442 now.

Before that, I was going to say that we really need to move Sorensen into midfield, to give us an extra body in there and to get Sara on the ball more. Possession was 70-30 Stoke the last time it flashed up on the screen - that's very unusual for us and we definitely need to get hold of it more. I guess Sorensen is at RB to counter the physical presence of the guy playing wide left for Stoke, but it's not a great look when you have to adapt your team and formation to cope with a particular threat from a mid-table Championship team.

Unless I read it wrong I'm pretty sure I saw we had a passing accuracy of 58% - that is atrocious and goes someway to explaining the lack of possession retention.

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Unlucky Tsoliz, he's growing on me. I thought he was a complete pansy but brave header that.

I'm pretty certain it was him who made the perfectly weighted pass near the start of the game to Sargent, who couldn't manage to get his feet in the right place.

We grew into the half but it’s the lack of overall quality in the squad that has cost us this season

And Webber should get the sack for it

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Stoke 66% possession and bossing the midfield.

This is the most worrying thing, we looked completely overrun in midfiled and completely unable to keep hold of the ball.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm pretty certain it was him who made the perfectly weighted pass near the start of the game to Sargent, who couldn't manage to get his feet in the right place.

It was, superb pass

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Unless I read it wrong I'm pretty sure I saw we had a passing accuracy of 58% - that is atrocious and goes someway to explaining the lack of possession retention.

I saw that at HT, yes. Dreadful, as you say. My diagnosis is that it was because we were outmanned in midfield, but what do I know. 

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

This is the most worrying thing, we looked completely overrun in midfiled and completely unable to keep hold of the ball.

If you are playing 4-4-2 then you need a couple of decent wingers...

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

At the game… nothing down the wings. Aarons and Tzolis really struggling and offering nothing.

Barely strung 3 passed together.. really poor. No outlet, Wagner has to sort the wings out. 

And we've got a full back on the right wing, and Tsoliz making his first start for us for about 19 months.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Sorensen hooked.

Not been great wherever he plays.

I said a few weeks ago that its time to accept in the summer that he just hasn't made the grade.

I'd put his level at average League 1 personally.