Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Potters V Canaries*

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Weird game overall.

Thought we got better in the second half, Aarons and Sargent stepped up. Tzolis is an absolute nothing player at this point. Was excited to see him start but he offered nothing. Pukki some nice touches but selfish.

Atmosphere in the away end not what it's been previous seasons.

Tzolis produced the only moment of class in this whole game - the through ball to Sargent, which of course he screwed up. And as for 'Sargent stepped up'. He has gone back to being the utter cr*p that he was for the whole of last season because he hasn't got even basic ball skills and is incapable of trapping or controlling a football. And he has had around 50 games for the club, whereas Tzolis has had maybe five.

• Like 1

Wheres Berney on Radio Norfolk giving his opinion - he tell it has it is and he liven up Butler

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Tzolis produced the only moment of class in this whole game - the through ball to Sargent, which of course he screwed up. And as for 'Sargent stepped up'. He has gone back to being the utter cr*p that he was for the whole of last season because he hasn't got even basic ball skills and is incapable of trapping or controlling a football. And he has had around 50 games for the club, whereas Tzolis has had maybe five.

Yes he played one nice pass and did nothing else. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yes he played one nice pass and did nothing else. 

Well, that's one nice pass more than Sargent managed. And it was more than nice, it was perfectly weighted and in exactly the right spot. Watch it in the highlights later. Also watch Sargent get his feet into a mess yet again for about the thousandth time since he's been at our club.

And he's going to replace Pukki? Ho ho f*cking ho.

• Like 1

Right. Loading up a new save of FM, and sticking the whole ****ing squad on the transfer list 😁

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

I sometimes watch Sargent and I am convinced he has got his boots on the wrong feet, his control is awful

First touch of a trampoline

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Well, that's one nice pass more than Sargent managed. And it was more than nice, it was perfectly weighted and in exactly the right spot. Watch it in the highlights later. Also watch Sargent get his feet into a mess yet again for about the thousandth time since he's been at our club.

And he's going to replace Pukki? Ho ho f*cking ho.

Well not really. Sargent actually returned the favour and played a nice ball to Tzolis, just Tzolis lacked the ability to even get away for a shot and instead fell over and claimed a free kick.

Struggling for positives at the moment - we are a soulless husk of what we once were at this level and look a million miles away from mounting a promotion push. This season or next. Right now it would be a miracle if we could make the top 6 and an even bigger one if we could then somehow overcome a big-6 side twice and another in the final. Close to no chance!

This does not change until an entirely new era can begin, and for me that won’t be defined by Antansio coming in with investment next season; rather when Webber and the majority of senior players have moved on from the club. There are simply far too many faces in the club who know only of premier league humiliation, we need fresh hunger right through the club. Until then it feels like our die has been cast.

So I think it might be time to get used to the idea of us being an upper / average championship side again, I could see it being a season or two before we start to turn this thing around properly. But look forwards to the supporters and club finally buying back in to a new ‘vision’, as this one has lost its way and probably needs to be put out of its misery.

Of course we can all still hope for a miracle in the meantime…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well not really. Sargent actually returned the favour and played a nice ball to Tzolis, just Tzolis lacked the ability to even get away for a shot and instead fell over and claimed a free kick.

I don't remember this, but I'll look out for it on the highlights. I remember Tzolis falling down near the line and trying to get a free kick, but certainly nowhere near the penalty area.

I accept he looked washed out at sixty minutes and he certainly needs to work on his fitness, which is something he'll have to do if he wants to be part of a Wagner side. But his first half was relatively good, I thought, compared to some of the other players, including Sargent. I know this isn't saying much, but there were several others much worse than him on the pitch. And Marquinos didn't exactly set the world on fire when he replaced him.

22 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

First touch of a trampoline

Quite so - he was awful on Wednesday too, I was pretty sure in that game that he didn’t manage one control/pass that went where he meant it to.

22 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Sargent needs a loan to League One along with Idah 😜

Maybe start at Conference League level to build up confidence?

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

I don't remember this, but I'll look out for it on the highlights. I remember Tzolis falling down near the line and trying to get a free kick, but certainly nowhere near the penalty area.

I accept he looked washed out at sixty minutes and he certainly needs to work on his fitness, which is something he'll have to do if he wants to be part of a Wagner side. But his first half was relatively good, I thought, compared to some of the other players, including Sargent. I know this isn't saying much, but there were several others much worse than him on the pitch. And Marquinos didn't exactly set the world on fire when he replaced him.

It likely won't make the highlights as Tzolis didn't do anything with it to make it one. The pass was played through to him about 35/40 yards from goal (difficult to judge from the away end) and Tzolis just looked like he had zero belief he'd be able to do anything with it so tried to buy the free kick. I just struggle with seeing anything in him, especially when we paid a considerable sum for him.

I'm not saying Sargent was incredible but he did a lot of unselfish dirty work.

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

It likely won't make the highlights as Tzolis didn't do anything with it to make it one. The pass was played through to him about 35/40 yards from goal (difficult to judge from the away end) and Tzolis just looked like he had zero belief he'd be able to do anything with it so tried to buy the free kick. I just struggle with seeing anything in him, especially when we paid a considerable sum for him.

I'm not saying Sargent was incredible but he did a lot of unselfish dirty work.

From the TV it looked like Tzolis's legs just totally buckled. He then made no effort to chase back; a point that Goreham and Barnett in commentary picked up on.

To be fair to Tzolis he seemed to do quite a bit of work covering Giannoulis first half and I didn't think we'd get more than 60 mins out of him. 

He looks way off being at the level we need at the moment.

Back from the game, few thoughts;

Tzolis and Aarons were awful first half. We basically played without a wide options which suffocated our play.  Tzolis is a long, long way from being good enough at this level on a consistent basis. It really is a worry, and his attitude didn’t look great when trudging off after being subbed. 

Giannoulis, poor first half. Showed more strength and character second.. but just not convinced. 

Pukki feeding on scraps. One class move second half saw him create a chance but couldn’t take it. Not one through ball all game. 

Sargent won his fair share in the air, and played OK. Big chance first half that he should’ve taken. 

Hanley and Gibson were solid, but the former still tried to fxck things up whenever possible! Gibson the better of the pair, and tried to start play. 

Sara and McLean. Completely outplayed by the Stoke midfield (can’t believe I’m writing that!)

Gunn MOM. Some top saves and him to thank for a point today.

In summary, a pretty dire performance and I agree with Alex Neil’s comments we looked to play for the draw in the end. Bizarre decision by Wagner to play Aarons and Tzolis today, and one that should’ve cost us. I know we have injuries, but Marquinhos was an instant improvement on Tzolis and should’ve started. Felt for Sorenson being hooked, it should’ve been Aarons and Tzolis IMO and I think Sorensen would have improved the midfield.

I found myself wondering how we’ve ended up here so quickly since the last championship campaign. We were outplayed for large parts by a ‘robust’ Stoke side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Back from the game, few thoughts;

Tzolis and Aarons were awful first half. We basically played without a wide options which suffocated our play.  Tzolis is a long, long way from being good enough at this level on a consistent basis. It really is a worry, and his attitude didn’t look great when trudging off after being subbed. 

Giannoulis, poor first half. Showed more strength and character second.. but just not convinced. 

Pukki feeding on scraps. One class move second half saw him create a chance but couldn’t take it. Not one through ball all game. 

Sargent won his fair share in the air, and played OK. Big chance first half that he should’ve taken. 

Hanley and Gibson were solid, but the former still tried to fxck things up whenever possible! Gibson the better of the pair, and tried to start play. 

Sara and McLean. Completely outplayed by the Stoke midfield (can’t believe I’m writing that!)

Gunn MOM. Some top saves and him to thank for a point today.

In summary, a pretty dire performance and I agree with Alex Neil’s comments we looked to play for the draw in the end. Bizarre decision by Wagner to play Aarons and Tzolis today, and one that should’ve cost us. I know we have injuries, but Marquinhos was an instant improvement on Tzolis and should’ve started. Felt for Sorenson being hooked, it should’ve been Aarons and Tzolis IMO and I think Sorensen would have improved the midfield.

I found myself wondering how we’ve ended up here so quickly since the last championship campaign. We were outplayed for large parts by a ‘robust’ Stoke side.

As people often say on here, it's strange how two people can read the same game in a way that is totally different. I disagree with most of what you say.

Tzolis was not awful first half. If Sargent knew where his feet were, he would have had a fantastic assist. He did some other good stuff, too. However, he was awful second half. He needs to get a lot fitter.

Sargent did not play OK. In both this game and the midweek match, he was woeful, and in this game he didn't have the excuse that he was stuck out on the wing. He was the Sargent of last season, a player who can run forever but can't trap, pass or control a football. As well as screwing up what should have been a one-on-one or a sideways pass to Pukki, look at the highlights at around 1.50 minutes. We are defending desperately, the ball falls to Tzolis who plays a pass to him which could help us set up a counter-attack with so many Stoke players committed to attack. Sargent misses it completely, it goes to a Stoke attacker, and they can set up another chance.

Marquinhos was not an improvement. He did almost nothing after coming on, which is what he also managed on Wednesday.

Giannoulis had a decent game and his last-ditch tackle saved the day after McLean's joke of a corner.

Pukki was poor. He is so desperate for a goal that he is becoming selfish, which is most unlike him. There was one point where he had two of our players in the box who would have had a good chance of scoring (I think Sargent and Tzolis, but not sure) but chose not to pass to them.

I agree about Sara and McLean - they both had poor games. I also agree that the experiment of Sorensen and Aarons didn't work. And Gunn, obviously.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

As people often say on here, it's strange how two people can read the same game in a way that is totally different. I disagree with most of what you say.

Tzolis was not awful first half. If Sargent knew where his feet were, he would have had a fantastic assist. He did some other good stuff, too. However, he was awful second half. He needs to get a lot fitter.

Sargent did not play OK. In both this game and the midweek match, he was woeful, and in this game he didn't have the excuse that he was stuck out on the wing. He was the Sargent of last season, a player who can run forever but can't trap, pass or control a football. As well as screwing up what should have been a one-on-one or a sideways pass to Pukki, look at the highlights at around 1.50 minutes. We are defending desperately, the ball falls to Tzolis who plays a pass to him which could help us set up a counter-attack with so many Stoke players committed to attack. Sargent misses it completely, it goes to a Stoke attacker, and they can set up another chance.

Marquinhos was not an improvement. He did almost nothing after coming on, which is what he also managed on Wednesday.

Giannoulis had a decent game and his last-ditch tackle saved the day after McLean's joke of a corner.

Pukki was poor. He is so desperate for a goal that he is becoming selfish, which is most unlike him. There was one point where he had two of our players in the box who would have had a good chance of scoring (I think Sargent and Tzolis, but not sure) but chose not to pass to them.

I agree about Sara and McLean - they both had poor games. I also agree that the experiment of Sorensen and Aarons didn't work. And Gunn, obviously.

Sargent won more than his fair share in the air, and intelligently won a couple of free kicks. We barely had possession, what else could he do? He tried to put himself about. 

Tzolis lost the ball often by not having the ability to take a pass with his back to goal and hold possession. He was barely an option, and offered no outlet. Unless running with the ball facing goal in the final third, he’s being carried. Yes, he’s ball to Sargent was decent and should’ve been an assist. When Marquinhos came on he held possession better, and took passes with his back to goal and allowed the team to get out a bit more. To say he did ‘almost nothing’ is looking at it blinkered. He gave more balance and held possession much better which in turn reduced the pressure we were under.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto