I've just been told that Robert Chase has passed away.

Never anything but a controversial figure the jury has always been out on his merits or otherwise. He did some astute land deals and took advantage of any grants available to improve the ground but it didn't end well.

But what a team we had in '93

RIP

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

RIP Chase

You f*cked it all up at the end but did give us some great times, and the protests sometimes went too far.

We have Chase to thank for owning Colney, his legacy needs revisiting, there is some good in there to balance out some of the bad.

Worked very hard for the Club and completed many judicious deals. Had to continually complete juggling acts in the transfer market - nothing has changed. Very unfairly criticised.

He certainly divided opinions indeed sharply so. At the Sunderland match I hope the club will show serious respect and trust the fans will do likewise.

17 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

He certainly divided opinions indeed sharply so. At the Sunderland match I hope the club will show serious respect and trust the fans will do likewise.

Will definitely have to be an applause rather than a silence if they attempted this. 

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Will definitely have to be an applause rather than a silence if they attempted this. 

Unfortunately that's correct.  Such a pity that people cant just be silent for a minute. Silence is far more respectful in my humble opinion than applause. The latter was only brought in several years ago now because of fears people could not be trusted. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Unfortunately that's correct.  Such a pity that people cant just be silent for a minute. Silence is far more respectful in my humble opinion than applause. The latter was only brought in several years ago now because of fears people could not be trusted. 

Agreed, a minute's applause is inappropriate and cheesy, the whole point of a silence is for a period of reflection.

He did what he did at the time. Most of the ground around Carrow Rd was purchased under his watch. 

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If they choose silence surely it will be respected. He's played a big part in our club's history.

R.I.P. Robert Chase. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

If they choose silence surely it will be respected. He's played a big part in our club's history.

R.I.P. Robert Chase. 

I would like to agree with you Nutty.

The absence of any announcement whatsoever on the club website or indeed this website is shocking if, indeed, the 'rumour' proves to be correct.

26 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I would like to agree with you Nutty.

The absence of any announcement whatsoever on the club website or indeed this website is shocking if, indeed, the 'rumour' proves to be correct.

Little surprised that we’ve heard nothing from the club but no surprise there’s nothing on here. Archant - or whatever the outfit’s called now - can’t even put a midweek match report in the EEN.

I’ll be very surprised if it’s not true though.

Edit : Just had a search and can’t find anything anywhere, even on Wiki which is usually fast out of the blocks. Maybe it’s duff info but if so why ?

Chase presided over ,possibly ,the pinnacle of our history. It went wrong in the end but he was there and played his part . 

We enjoyed the proceeds of selling off the land ….

Deserves the respect of a minutes silence . 
Edit . If it’s true of course! 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Agreed, a minute's applause is inappropriate and cheesy, the whole point of a silence is for a period of reflection.

Agreed, he got things wrong but so much right. RIP Bob. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Edit : Just had a search and can’t find anything anywhere, even on Wiki which is usually fast out of the blocks. Maybe it’s duff info but if so why

Not true until  @cambridgeshire canaryhas started a thread on it. Even then it may not be. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

A very divisive figure but I can only speak from personal experience when, as an 11 year old fan back in 1992, my dad wrote to him and asked if I could be match mascot for our first ever home Premier League game against Chelsea. Mr Chase agreed and furnished me with a free kit and ball, director’s box ticket for my dad, personally  introduced us to all of the players and in general oversaw a truly wonderful experience that has stuck with me ever since. My dad brought him a crest of arms plaque of Belfast and I remember Mr Chase hanging it there and then in his office before having a cup of tea with us. Couldn’t see that type of thing happening now! 
Anyway, I appreciate he perhaps made some questionable calls in charge of the club but as a character, I found him warm, welcoming and acting in what he believed to be the club’s best interests.

RIP.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I've just been told that Robert Chase has passed away.

Can you tell us who/where you got this information from?

A lot could be said of some of his ‘ business’ dealing especially within the club, however I can thank him for giving me a very good help in my younger days.

Edited by Sheva

29 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Can you tell us who/where you got this information from?

No, other than the person who told me about it has never been wrong about the passing of anyone with a connection to NCFC.

I can’t see why anyone would make up something like this, can you ?

9 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

No, other than the person who told me about it has never been wrong about the passing of anyone with a connection to NCFC.

Well, it looks like you just have.

3 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Well, it looks like you just have.

Eh ? I’ve made nothing up, it was something I was told.

I’m sure if Mr Chase is still alive and well he’ll be delighted.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Eh ? I’ve made nothing up, it was something I was told.

I’m sure if Mr Chase is still alive and well he’ll be delighted.

You don't see anything problematic about reporting on a public web forum that someone has died, without verifying they actually have?

20 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

You don't see anything problematic about reporting on a public web forum that someone has died, without verifying they actually have?

Like I said I was told that someone had died and put it on here in good faith.

If that turns out not to be the case I’m sure Bob will see the funny side. Unlike some on here.

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

As much as I see where you are coming from, if alive he's almost 85 so not a huge surprise.

11 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Hiya Graham, hope you're well. 

I also heard the sad news yesterday afternoon suspect there will be an official announcement today when the club have spoken to his family.

• Like 1

He may have been a bit 'out the box' for some City supporters but at that time, but clearly will be a huge part of the club's history.

RIP

• Like 1

Sad news if true, whatever happened at the end, we must never forget he oversaw the most successful period in our history, for those of you too young to remember City in the late 80s early 90s you missed out on a great period for which he played a big part.

• Like 5