Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

How many more starts for Idah without a goal.

This isn’t a direct dig at that lad. It’s not a he’s the worst player ever thread. (He’s definitely not). 

However I do wonder how many more games fans will be happy for him to start and not score in. 

Personally I thought he was poorer yesterday than on Tuesday night. Didn’t assert himself on the game at all really. 

Again I’m not against the boy but surely he’s not shown enough to keep his place for much longer has he?

Idahbin more concerned if you were waiting to see how many more starts without a win.

Football is a team game after all.

Don't forget the original whinge was "where are all the ghouls coming from without Pukki and Sarge"

• Like 2

While we’re winning he’ll get away with it - just. Not that, personally, I feel there’s any justification in the level of criticism he’s getting. The lad has played what? Three consecutive games? In each of those he could’ve had a brace but for some misfortune and if he had have bagged said brace in each game, everyone would be going nuts on here about why he hadn’t been playing sooner.

it’s fine margins, but for my money, give the lad a break, get behind him and then see where we’re at after a serious amount of consistent game time.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

While we’re winning he’ll get away with it - just. Not that, personally, I feel there’s any justification in the level of criticism he’s getting. The lad has played what? Three consecutive games? In each of those he could’ve had a brace but for some misfortune and if he had have bagged said brace in each game, everyone would be going nuts on here about why he hadn’t been playing sooner.

it’s fine margins, but for my money, give the lad a break, get behind him and then see where we’re at after a serious amount of consistent game time.

I’m all for giving the lad a break. The club certainly have with a 5 year contract. However my concern is the quality of the last few opponents has been. Well poor to say the least. 

Idah hasn’t exactly filled his boots. 

21 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I’m all for giving the lad a break. The club certainly have with a 5 year contract. However my concern is the quality of the last few opponents has been. Well poor to say the least. 

Idah hasn’t exactly filled his boots. 

The biggest wasted chance Idah had was that Doncastor loan falling apart. Still feel he could pull a Mumba and go on loan for a season at a promotion challenging club in League one and that he would tear the divison apart and do great.

41 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

This isn’t a direct dig at that lad. It’s not a he’s the worst player ever thread. (He’s definitely not). 

However I do wonder how many more games fans will be happy for him to start and not score in. 

Personally I thought he was poorer yesterday than on Tuesday night. Didn’t assert himself on the game at all really. 

Again I’m not against the boy but surely he’s not shown enough to keep his place for much longer has he?

He started because he was our only fully fit striker. 

Pukki will likely start the next match.

35 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

"But for some misfortune". What misfortune? He simply wasn't good enough to finish for whatever reason. Whether he'll improve or not after a significant run in the team is doubtful for me.

Either way, he'll not be starting when both Pukki and Sargent are fully fit.

Pukki also missed a one on one, Sargent has been hot and cold all season.

We're going to need a significant upgrade on any of them if we're serious about being Championship top 2, or Premier League survivors next season.

I’d like to know what he has done to deserve a five year contract, if it’s £20,000 a week ( probably  more ) that’s £5,200,000. Surely two or maybe three would suffice, it’s not as if loads of clubs are after him

We really are struggling for things to moan about at the moment, aren't we?

If getting on Idah's back doesn't float your boat, I'm pleased to say someone has just started another Cantwell thread.

• Haha 2

Maybe that's the plan. Secure Idah's future here with a long contract (he's only 21) and give him a loan next season to play consistently week in week out. And then see how he develops.

49 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I’d like to know what he has done to deserve a five year contract

McGovern's been here 6.5 years, yet people are asking why a 21 year old prospect has been given a long-term deal?

Edited by Google Bot

It’s a shame people don’t seem to be willing to give Idah a break - he’s got something that several Managers can see, it’s just translating it onto the pitch.  I felt he’d made a breakthrough last season only for it to end with another injury.  I am sure it’ll come - and if we can be winning games while he finds his feet then all the better. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

McGovern's been here 6.5 years, yet people are asking why a 21 year old prospect has been given a long-term deal?

Exactly, a contract which we have no idea what the terms are either. His salary could be very appearance and goal dependant.

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Do has this run of form got anything to do with Idah starting?

Or is it just a coincidence?

I think he's been good in the last 3 home games but the most pleasing part of the team's performance is how few chances we have given away. Wagner has improved us big time defensively, but going forwards we're yet to really see anything special imo. Maybe his hold up play helps a bit but I would say it's rather small if so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, repman said:

I think he's been good in the last 3 home games but the most pleasing part of the team's performance is how few chances we have given away. Wagner has improved us big time defensively, but going forwards we're yet to really see anything special imo. Maybe his hold up play helps a bit but I would say it's rather small if so.

Holding the ball a long way away from our goal is the first line of defence. It's quite clearly one of Adam's strengths.

The perfect striker would probably possess the best bits of Adam, Josh and Teemu but that player wouldn't be playing for us.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Do has this run of form got anything to do with Idah starting?

Or is it just a coincidence?

As you say Nutty  it's a team game. Unfortunately  we have a bad habit on here of attacking players very quickly. Yes 5 sub rule now , so even more of a team game. Imagine my man from 🇧🇷 gabi sara was attacked verbally now the guy is a winner ( I knew he would be) no doubt about it. Listen to Kenny' s interview , high praise 👏  indeed. The guy runs the show , that's how good gabi is. ADAM will probably  get a brace next game and be a hero. How ,how fickle some people are.

I'm getting tired of reading negativity on here, people are very hard to please. Wagner has rejuvenated this squad , enjoy , the only negative I see is ( and no one has mentioned  it , Wagner more often then not is OMG drinking from a mug at press conferences 😉🙃

38 seconds in.

Edited by Mengo
  • Like 2

This is not cricket. So you cannot judge him solely on goals scored (number of wickets taken, runs). It is not about 'confidence' either. It is about ability, skill etc. Which Idah does not have to be a Championship player. If you look at yesterdays miss, Idah was in an offside position as far as those in his sight-line were  concerned. The player behind had only to be a foot further forward and Idah would have been offside.... yet again. For all that he did yesterday i would rather have started with Gibbs and left the goal scoring to the two Brazilians. As despite Idahs height there was nothing of any threat from headers, corners etc.

https://www.skysports.com/football/norwich-city-vs-cardiff-city/468224

32 minutes ago, Mengo said:

As you say Nutty  it's a team game. Unfortunately  we have a bad habit on here of attacking players very quickly. Yes 5 sub rule now , so even more of a team game. Imagine my man from 🇧🇷 gabi sara was attacked verbally now the guy is a winner ( I knew he would be) no doubt about it. Listen to Kenny' s interview , high praise 👏  indeed. The guy runs the show , that's how good gabi is. ADAM will probably  get a brace next game and be a hero. How ,how fickle some people are.

I'm getting tired of reading negativity on here, people are very hard to please. Wagner has rejuvenated this squad , enjoy , the only negative I see is ( and no one has mentioned  it , Wagner more often then not is OMG drinking from a mug at press conferences 😉🙃

Utter rot. Idah has never looked a Championship player, bar 3 goals v Preston in the FA Cup. What he has looked, is some who is a player who is clumsy and always needing another touch, or two. Whether he comes good at some point is an unknown. That he will play v Millwall is very doubtful, never mind scoring. Don't judge the deserved criticism by a handful of young cretins either. To portray reasoned comment as that of foul mouthed kids shouting abuse, suggests you have no defence other than to try and spin this towards the actions of that very tiny minority.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Utter rot. Idah has never looked a Championship player, bar 3 goals v Preston in the FA Cup. What he has looked, is some who is a player who is clumsy and always needing another touch, or two. Whether he comes good at some point is an unknown. That he will play v Millwall is very doubtful, never mind scoring. Don't judge the deserved criticism by a handful of young cretins either. To portray reasoned comment as that of foul mouthed kids shouting abuse, suggests you have no defence other than to try and spin this towards the actions of that very tiny minority.

Lighten up will you!.😉🙃

• Like 1

I'm with Mengo on this one - now is not the time to criticise Idah or any of our players. The team is trying to come back from what was effectively ground zero after fourteen months of Smith, and confidence was, and perhaps still is, understandably low. We have the free hit of aiming for a possible play-off place in a season that was going nowhere except the bottom half of the league. Picking out players as scapegoats won't help us reach the play-offs and may well hinder it. And I'd argue that even reasonable criticism of individual players won't help at the moment. Let's get behind Wagner and the players and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I’d like to know what he has done to deserve a five year contract, if it’s £20,000 a week ( probably  more ) that’s £5,200,000. Surely two or maybe three would suffice, it’s not as if loads of clubs are after him

Well it's probably something like if you want a striker twice as good as Idah, scores every other game, he'll cost £30m and want £50k a week. This will become evident when we try and find a like for like replacement for Teemu.

Maybe I'm watching a different game to everyone else but it seems to me we're playing better as a team and creating more chances with Idah up front?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Google Bot said:

But that's kind of the point being made. McGovern wasn't given a 5 year contract - it was a series of contracts where the club could make a decision on whether to continue with his employment dependent on our needs and his performance (in McGovern's case  I expect that's maintain a decent level of fitness and being an able emergency stand in whilst supporting development of younger keepers).

I guess if Idah becomes a huge success and a goal scoring machine then we will all be saying what a great move to tie him down for so long so we can sell for millions. I've yet to see signs of this and am worried the result will be we aren't able to offload him due to him having years of being paid more than other interested clubs can afford.

2 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm with Mengo on this one - now is not the time to criticise Idah or any of our players. The team is trying to come back from what was effectively ground zero after fourteen months of Smith, and confidence was, and perhaps still is, understandably low. We have the free hit of aiming for a possible play-off place in a season that was going nowhere except the bottom half of the league. Picking out players as scapegoats won't help us reach the play-offs and may well hinder it. And I'd argue that even reasonable criticism of individual players won't help at the moment. Let's get behind Wagner and the players and see what happens.

Absolutely 👏 💯 % this.  (Effectively Ground Zero). The man Wagner with his coaching staff has managed to make us competitive again. Players are responding and the football looks enjoyable again. We are not Man City, Barcelona, Arsenal or a Man united. We cannot afford that kind of player, we need to have a sense of reality, of where we are in this game. Make no mistake  it looks like we are now after a while , on the right trajectory , fingers crossed. Onwards and upwards👍🤛

Wagner comes across as a manager who is not afraid to make controversial selections. If Idah remains in the side it’s because he’s carrying out the role as outlined by manager which is of benefit to the attacking qualities of players around him making use of space created. I thought Pukki and Hernandez had better chance to score than Idah’s attempt under pressure from defender. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well it's probably something like if you want a striker twice as good as Idah, scores every other game, he'll cost £30m and want £50k a week. This will become evident when we try and find a like for like replacement for Teemu.

Maybe I'm watching a different game to everyone else but it seems to me we're playing better as a team and creating more chances with Idah up front?

I think you are watching the same game, but your  realistic vision is possibly at a good level . Some others just love to criticise  for the sake of it. One question , I think I saw a few easy chances missed , but nobody likes talking about that🙃

Bring on Millwall ( could be a big Test)