Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Gunn to Rangers

According to the Scottish Sun and Daily Record.

Actually believable as their Sporting Director was Director of Football at Southampton when they signed Gunn the first time around.

1 minute ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I can actually see that one.

McGregor is on his last legs. McRorie isn't good enough.

Hopefully it doesn't happen as it'll give him more incentive to play for Scotland.

I don't want him anywhere near a Scotland squad.

If we flog Gunn to Rangers then that may speak volumes about our financial situation.

Krul contracted for another year, if we sell the future because our highest earner can't be released then have to start asking serious questions about the governance of this club.

Let's be honest, the SPL is just about the height of his ambitions and his level.

If we can re-coup even half the £5m we wasted on him then we'll have done well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we flog Gunn to Rangers then that may speak volumes about our financial situation.

Krul contracted for another year, if we sell the future because our highest earner can't be released then have to start asking serious questions about the governance of this club.

Thought Pukki was the highest earner?

That said I agree we can't just 'release him' as his contract runs until June 2024, there is nothing stopping us letting him go for basically nothing and getting the wages off the books. Mind you I doubt there would be many takers!!

25 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

You don't think he's good enough? Do Scotland have some great keepers we should go for as a replacement if he does move?

47 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I can actually see that one.

McGregor is on his last legs. McRorie isn't good enough.

Hopefully it doesn't happen as it'll give him more incentive to play for Scotland.

He would be Scotlands best player!

Let's be honest, if Angus goes to Rangers for decent money, I really can't see why we can argue and I wish him all the best, personally I would be sad to see him leave - never absolutely cemented himself in as our first choice.

• Like 1

Gunn should never have been dropped in the first place. It was an unnecessary disruption to the defence that we did not need.

It really will be a statement of intent if we sell the very keeper who is supposed to be our long future. There is 'dross' we need to get shot of, but I wouldn't class Angus as that.

• Like 1

If we need the cash to rebuild/cut cloth we’ll probably have to sell whoever we get decent offers for. Given Krul is allegedly one of our highest earners and has another year, if we can’t offload him, and someone wants Angus, I can see a deal happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

then have to start asking serious questions about the governance of this club.

There is no end to people asking serious  question about the governance of the Club. If im not mistaken, you may have enquired once or twice yourself. It won't  be anything new.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Andy Robertson called.

He said "Hello".

I doubt he said anything that nice, decent player but seems like a nasty peice of work to me. one of rhe few at liverpool  thats maintained his standards post caffeinegate though.  

Edited by wcorkcanary

I wonder if McLean might head to Rangers as well.

Feels like we're selling Gunn to pay Krul's wages. Get rid of Krul, we need to rebuild.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Feels like we're selling Gunn to pay Krul's wages. Get rid of Krul, we need to rebuild.

Could do a three for one fee, Hanley, McLean & Gunn for £10 million?

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Doubt it as they were linked on a freebie then he penned a 3 year deal.

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Get rid of Krul, we need to rebuild.

That's easier said than done, can't imagine there is a long queue forming for a 34 year old in dodgy form, a mistake a game and really high wages. According to Bailey he was our highest earner in the Prem on £70k a week, so likely still on £35k a week now. 

What's he realistically going to get in his next deal, £15k a week to be a Prem backup or £8k a week in the Eredivisie? Can see us being stuck with him until he contract expires personally. 

Should not have been dropped. Would wish him well if he left but cannot see the sense if we are rebuilding at the end of the season. We cannot be that skint. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

According to the Scottish Sun and Daily Record.

Actually believable as their Sporting Director was Director of Football at Southampton when they signed Gunn the first time around.

I would suggest that is no more tha the usuall adding 2+2 to make 5. Gunns leaving would most likely be dependent upon the value of his release clause. Rangers earned £86m last year. More than City this esason, but way below what we would earn as a PL club. Odd how so many seem to have forgotten how the club was castigated for spending an intial £2m or so on Gunn,

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

I would suggest that is no more tha the usuall adding 2+2 to make 5. Gunns leaving would most likely be dependent upon the value of his release clause. Rangers earned £86m last year. More than City this esason, but way below what we would earn as a PL club. Odd how so many seem to have forgotten how the club was castigated for spending an intial £2m or so on Gunn,

"Earned"

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

On 12/02/2023 at 14:36, TheDarkKnight said:

Oh. He's absolutely good enough. He's just rejected us about 2 or 3 times. Enough is enough. He must consider himself English, which is fair enough.

God, I wish! We're still relying on Craig Gordon. Last I heard David Marshall might come out of retirement in an emergency basis.

It's weird. We produce a million qualify fullbacks and very little else. lol.

He was born in Norwich and his mum is from Manchester. He grew up in Norwich and then moved to Manchester and Man City when his dad worked for them.

I would not be at all surprised that he considers himself English. Not entirely unusual these days for England U21 players to end up playing for Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland or Rep of Ireland. 

As for David Marshall, looked him up, didn't realise he's 37... for a keeper these days it could be argued he has a good couple of seasons left in him yet.

Can't see Gunn going to Rangers unless silly money is involved - as in much more in wages. And even then, he's easily worth the £5m we paid for him so it'll have to be more than that I would think. 

8 hours ago, chicken said:

He was born in Norwich and his mum is from Manchester. He grew up in Norwich and then moved to Manchester and Man City when his dad worked for them

That's not quite right. I believe they moved to Cheshire because Gunn Sr. got a job working for a football agent. Then Gunn Jr. got into the Man City academy.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 12/02/2023 at 14:36, TheDarkKnight said:

Oh. He's absolutely good enough. He's just rejected us about 2 or 3 times. Enough is enough. He must consider himself English, which is fair enough.

God, I wish! We're still relying on Craig Gordon. Last I heard David Marshall might come out of retirement in an emergency basis.

It's weird. We produce a million qualify fullbacks and very little else. lol.

David Marshall isn't in retirement. He's currently playing for Hibs. 

On 12/02/2023 at 14:02, TeemuVanBasten said:

I struggle to see Gunn as 'the future.'

He's 27 and, in my opinion, not a Premier League player. If he left and we got some decent money for him I think we could replace him without much issue.

• Like 3

Can't get my head around people thinking Gunn isn't good enough. So he could have done better on Saturday for the goal, but in all his previous matches before Krul took over again, I can't remember a single goal that you could say that was down to him and most seemed surprised he was dropped for Krul when Wagner arrived. I'd stick with him.