Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Could this be BETTER than Farkeball?

Daniel's style was based on possession & steady probing for an opening. It required technical players who could pass at speed & knew where their team mates were. Emi & Teemu exemplified our players, but we had players like Todd, Leitner & Vrancic who had good skills. out of possession was always more problematic, heavily reliant on the mighty Tettey to break up opposition play & shield our defence.

The limitations of this approach was demonstrated in the PL where teams had either better or more physical/athletic players to dominate us. it was particularly annoying to see the latter type simply press us off the park. There was no solution to this inherent problem with Farkeball.

Saturday really was a new approach. On the most basic level it was simply a huge increase in levels of, energy, grit & determination. The first goal came about because Onel & Sara threw themselves at the ball rather than cede possession; anything rather than give the opponent clean, easy time with the ball.

Now this of course requires high levels of fitness & is likely to leave many players exhausted during the second half. This is where the willingness to use subs. is vital. Wagner did this unhesitatingly. I suspect one of his priorities (as I think he has stated) will be to improve our collective stamina.

Of course it wasn't just the high energy pressing. Wagner's obviously also told them to not be afraid to use their skills, they won't be crucified for mistakes - not when those mistakes arise from a sense of adventure & purpose, rather than timidity & caution (as has been the case). And did you notice the nonchalant little triangular passing going on towards full time? I see the beginnings of a game management strategy appearing there.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into one game, but it was soooo different in just about every possible way. But is it just possible, is there a sign that David's approach might work, might actually give us a decent chance, if we get promotion??

And football's about the joy of hoping & dreaming, otherwise there's no point in watching. Saturday just kickstarted my joy again.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Let’s not go mad. Early signs are great but let’s not forget we have been utterly starved to death this season so I would have settled for any sort of intent in the right direction from the players.

I’m excited in a way I haven’t been in a while for at least the on pitch stuff. The off pitch stuff rumbles on but always has and always will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrD66M said:

main-qimg-70b1bcc30a396a83d8db4a9a4cccc52a-lq.jpeg.jpg

Is that brave little avian about to be catapulted to infinity & beyond, or just blown up? I'm confused   🙃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Is that brave little avian about to be catapulted to infinity & beyond, or just blown up? I'm confused   🙃

Lifes a Gas .

10 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Daniel's style was based on possession & steady probing for an opening. It required technical players who could pass at speed & knew where their team mates were. Emi & Teemu exemplified our players, but we had players like Todd, Leitner & Vrancic who had good skills. out of possession was always more problematic, heavily reliant on the mighty Tettey to break up opposition play & shield our defence.

The limitations of this approach was demonstrated in the PL where teams had either better or more physical/athletic players to dominate us. it was particularly annoying to see the latter type simply press us off the park. There was no solution to this inherent problem with Farkeball.

Saturday really was a new approach. On the most basic level it was simply a huge increase in levels of, energy, grit & determination. The first goal came about because Onel & Sara threw themselves at the ball rather than cede possession; anything rather than give the opponent clean, easy time with the ball.

Now this of course requires high levels of fitness & is likely to leave many players exhausted during the second half. This is where the willingness to use subs. is vital. Wagner did this unhesitatingly. I suspect one of his priorities (as I think he has stated) will be to improve our collective stamina.

Of course it wasn't just the high energy pressing. Wagner's obviously also told them to not be afraid to use their skills, they won't be crucified for mistakes - not when those mistakes arise from a sense of adventure & purpose, rather than timidity & caution (as has been the case). And did you notice the nonchalant little triangular passing going on towards full time? I see the beginnings of a game management strategy appearing there.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into one game, but it was soooo different in just about every possible way. But is it just possible, is there a sign that David's approach might work, might actually give us a decent chance, if we get promotion??

And football's about the joy of hoping & dreaming, otherwise there's no point in watching. Saturday just kickstarted my joy again.

The question playing this kind of football is about maintaining energy levels. Liverpool played like this for a couple of years under Wagner's best mate Klopp and then ran out of steam a little bit and that could be the issue long term. Wagner's team also ran out if steam a little at Huddersfield after a couple of years.

The five substitute rule definitely helps, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out after a couple of years, especially if we are promoted. I guess its a case of enjoying it for what it is now - it's definitely a vast improvement of what we have been watching under Smith - and although it's only one game, it shows how we will be going about things from now on.

I have no doubt that we'll have a great second half of the season, which will hopefully lead to us gaining promotion via the playoffs. This team just needed a half decent manager to give them a confidence boost and a bit of direction. This league is poor and it should be relatively easy to beat anyone between 7th and 24th.

The Premier League is a whole different beast though. Not only are the players better both technically and physically, but they're tactically savvy. I fear that, with the full backs pushed up as high as they do, teams will sit back and pick us off on the counter. I seem to remember reading recently that Wagner's Huddersfield team had to swiftly change their style after being hammered early on in the season by Spurs. 

My other concern is that the squad hasn't really improved since the 2019/20 season. From that team, Pukki, Cantwell, Buendia and Tettey could all have left, and we still haven't managed to replace them. It would take a monumental transfer window to equip us for PL survival and, as much as I still rate Webber, I don't think that we have the finances to do it. 

Yes, i think we all have to face it .....success is not guaranteed, all those not prepared for this, stop watching now. 😇

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yes, i think we all have to face it .....success is not guaranteed, all those not prepared for this, stop watching now. 😇

LOL yes those who want guaranteed success may want to follow another club !

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Agreed!  But I think after the last three years of 2 PL relegations, lockdowns and a promotion season we couldn't go to games for -  and 15 months under Smith - all most of us want is to see enterprising attacking football with a bit of freedom. Success might happen or not from that, but at least we will be able to enjoy it a bit more!

• Like 1

I very much doubt if we will ever see the quality of football we saw during our Champs campaigns under DF.

In 60 years of supporting Norwich, apart from the early days of the PL era and Stringer and Walker years. It's hard to think that in more recent years which have given us more excitement and quality. Paul Lamberts unforgettable years or Daniel Farke.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The question playing this kind of football is about maintaining energy levels. Liverpool played like this for a couple of years under Wagner's best mate Klopp and then ran out of steam a little bit and that could be the issue long term. Wagner's team also ran out if steam a little at Huddersfield after a couple of years.

The five substitute rule definitely helps, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out after a couple of years, especially if we are promoted. I guess its a case of enjoying it for what it is now - it's definitely a vast improvement of what we have been watching under Smith - and although it's only one game, it shows how we will be going about things from now on.

Haven't Liverlose run out of steam because their "extra Caffeine regime" got reported in October 2020 as it was found to be medically storing up issues for players, with 63% of their squad apparently affected by asthma. Since that article was published they've never been as effective. Strange ...

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yes the energy is key. And that cannot be maintained in every match, there's bound to be games when we're 'off it' for one reason or another. That's why I was pleased to see the little triangles being played after the game was well won, it looked to me like a sort of experimental game management. I know it was only against Preston, but we still have some good technical players who could hone their possession skills to help kill off games when necessary.

Way ahead of myself again there. It's nice to dream though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Farkeball most definitely ran out of steam as well, primarily due to teams adopting 'gegenpress' or just generally an aggressive athletic press all over the pitch. Dare I say there are glimmers of it starting to unravel at Man City as well.

Football moves in cycles, teams move in cycles. Klopp has already said Liverpool have to reinvent themselves, we are now doing likewise and crikey it's refreshing to see us have some sort of style and method to our play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bradwell canary said:

I very much doubt if we will ever see the quality of football we saw during our Champs campaigns under DF.

In 60 years of supporting Norwich, apart from the early days of the PL era and Stringer and Walker years. It's hard to think that in more recent years which have given us more excitement and quality. Paul Lamberts unforgettable years or Daniel Farke.

Yes. The purest football I had ever seen from Norwich City was when Stringer was manager, but Farke certainly challenged that in the last promotion season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Football moves in cycles, teams move in cycles

Couldnt agree more, as you say Man city are not at their best atm nor liverpool, Arsenal however, are. Whether they can maintain this over the season remains to be seen. Spurs look as if they peaked a year or two back and god knows what Chelsea are doing. 

I think the big catalyst to Farkeball was the joy of seeing Emi play, I'm not sure this current squad could top that no matter the system

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

One.. Match..

Odd how caution and skepticism is such a popular outlook in the face of a really outstanding result, but a bad result will inspire cast iron certainty of impending doom.

The turnaround was so dramatic in just the second game in charge that it is phenomenally unlikely to be fluke.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Odd how caution and skepticism is such a popular outlook in the face of a really outstanding result, but a bad result will inspire cast iron certainty of impending doom.

The turnaround was so dramatic in just the second game in charge that it is phenomenally unlikely to be fluke.

Hmm , interesting . Which particular part of your obviously huge intellect did you use to state such a thing, so categorically.  Nothing to do with PNE abandoning their usual defensive structure , nothing to do with getting rid of the tea drinking monkey on our back, and most important of all ....nothing to do with PNE fans lack of positivity?     

17 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Overreaction after one game.

Great 📫post Ron. Saturday was a kick-start for thousands of Norwich  fans. Hopes/ Dreams , excitement, so many positives flying round in people's heads and why not, it felt recently  this would be impossible  to achieve. Hey , looks like it could be possible 😉 🥳

1 hour ago, YellaYellowYella said:

Possibly, probably. But the turnaround in style was simply phenomenal. if I hadn't have seen it I wouldn't have believed it. 

it wasn't really the goals - we've had loads of chances in other matches where we could have buried teams - but the way in which we forced the play, sheer determination, the first goal being a prime example. I'm still gobsmacked, pinching myself.

Who knows..............but it worked for Draco Malfoy in 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' I believe 😃

1 hour ago, YellaYellowYella said:

Yes. But my God we have been starved of any reason to be positive for what feels like forever. Personally I'm going to enjoy it for a few days even if my more rational self agrees with you.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Its footy . What other reaction do you expect.?

Measured and balanced.

We played great. It gives great hope. It needs to be tempered as it's early days.

Done.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YellaYellowYella said:

Measured and balanced.

We played great. It gives great hope. It needs to be tempered as it's early days.

Done.

Oh ye of little Pinkun knowledge.