Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Tim Walter, SV Hamburg - a new name for us?

I’ve not seen Tim Walter mentioned anywhere up to now, but this very site now seems to say we’ve got him on our list.  A quick Google shows he’s managed at Bayern IIs and a couple of others, been at SV since July 2021.  Would be an interesting one, similar feel to DF.

Edited for linky - Wilder seems to be on the list, too.  https://www.pinkun.com/

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

It's just the Pinkun reporting what a national has said, wouldn't give it much credence.

Looks very much like an agent briefing the press to get their client in the news.

Edited by A Load of Squit

Not a lot about him around. Seems his career started as Bayern's reserve team boss (parallels of course with Farke's start as Dortmund reserve boss) and did well both there and now at Hamburg. Didn't do quite so well at Stuttgart though. 

Any resident Bundesliga expert who can tell us a bit more? 

This is the first name that sounds really legitimate to me. Wagner sounds plausible but this seems like someone we'd go for. I dont know much about him but seems to have the right philosophy.

Stuttgart seem a bit of a basket case, he was their 3rd permanent manager in 12 months and were 3rd having won 11, lost 5 of his 20 games in charge when he was sacked. After his sacking was covid interruption so hard to make direct comparison but they won 6, lost 5 of the remaining 14 games and finished 2nd.

https://www.vfb.de/en/vfb/latest/news/professionals/2019/vorstellung-tim-walter/

Screenshot_20221230_082606_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0a9fcdb2a353fe5553edc27b98d32bb4.jpg

Screenshot_20221230_083436_Chrome.jpg

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Not a lot about him around. Seems his career started as Bayern's reserve team boss (parallels of course with Farke's start as Dortmund reserve boss) and did well both there and now at Hamburg. Didn't do quite so well at Stuttgart though. 

Any resident Bundesliga expert who can tell us a bit more? 

I'll point out that Farke started at Lippstadt and basically did everything there before moving on to Dortmund II.

Had a quick look at Walter - he wasn't doing too badly at Stuttgart as in they had been relegated to Bundesliga 2, then he took the reins. He was sacked when they were 3rd having won 11 out of 20 matches, and his successor got them up into 2nd and promoted back into the Bundesliga automatically.

I'd be more worried about that gap of well over a year before taking over Hamburg in July 2021.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd be more worried about that gap of well over a year before taking over Hamburg in July 2021.

He was sacked literally a month before covid lockdown started. Just bad timing imo.

• Like 1

i like the sound of this more than anyone other than Knutsen ,

i think with me it is the unknown and what they can bring to the team 

also i like the fact he has worked in a different country like Farke and will know some unearthed gems like Farke did ,

• Like 1

Like Wagner, if this is genuinely our sort of interest level then it's an automatic admittance from Webber that he got it wrong and should have stuck with Farke or at least a Farke - like Character...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Like Wagner, if this is genuinely our sort of interest level then it's an automatic admittance from Webber that he got it wrong and should have stuck with Farke or at least a Farke - like Character...

I'm not so sure it would be an admission they got it wrong getting rid of Farke (the timing after such a good morale boosting win was incredulous) but that they wanted to try something different. On paper Smith & Shakespeare looked good.

IMO you should never hire a manager/coach immediately after they've just been sacked. Doesnt' bode well  

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean, the alternative is saying that sacking farke and replacing him with Smith instead of a farke like character was the right decision, which doesn't have any mileage in it.

I think maybe it's more an admission of getting it wrong with Smith than anything else, but that's not a stretch, sacking Smith was an admission he got it wrong with Smith.

When Webber walked through the door, we were told very clearly that having him as sporting director would ensure we had a consistent identity and style, and when coaches were replaced, the new one would pick up where the previous one had left off. Obviously somewhere in the 4 years of Farke, Webber evolved his view and felt continuity of tactics and style would mean continuity of the relegation cycle and opted to change tact... it didn't work, so appointing someone of this mould would indicate to me that he is going back to the original plan.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kick it off said:

When Webber walked through the door, we were told very clearly that having him as sporting director would ensure we had a consistent identity and style, and when coaches were replaced, the new one would pick up where the previous one had left off. Obviously somewhere in the 4 years of Farke, Webber evolved his view and felt continuity of tactics and style would mean continuity of the relegation cycle and opted to change tact... it didn't work, so appointing someone of this mould would indicate to me that he is going back to the original plan.

Playing style - to me this is still very much the unanswered question.

My take on what happened is that humiliation of the first Farke Premier season convinced one or both of them that we had to try things differently second time round. When it still seemed to be failing Smith seemed more of a half-way house - still wanting possession but more pragmatic about the risks that he was prepared to take. This failed in the both the Premier League and the championship - where next?

Assuming Burnley get promoted it will be interesting to see how they get on. Is it possible for a newly promoted team to "outfootball" premier league teams or will he adjust tactics to be more defensively secure + use more direct attacking methods.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I'm not so sure it would be an admission they got it wrong getting rid of Farke (the timing after such a good morale boosting win was incredulous) but that they wanted to try something different. On paper Smith & Shakespeare looked good.

IMO you should never hire a manager/coach immediately after they've just been sacked. Doesnt' bode well  

Smith and Shakespeare have never looked good on paper. 

Looking at the Hamburg stats he seems to lose too many and doesn't turn the draws into wins.

I can see fans getting frustrated with that pretty quickly.

13 minutes ago, kirku said:

Would he really leave Hamburg for us?

Doesn't make sense. Massive club who he is revitalising. Absolutely massive club with stadium nearly double the size of ours. Nothing to see here i would say.

Edited by youngriles

19 minutes ago, youngriles said:

Doesn't make sense. Massive club who he is revitalising. Absolutely massive club with stadium nearly double the size of ours. Nothing to see here i would say.

Averaging over 50,000 at home this season, very impressive indeed. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

i agree Hogesar

At the time i was calling for Farke to go as he was struggling the step up to PL 

but Hindsight getting Smith in was no better in fact it was worse

out went the style of play and the plan 

With Farke at least you could see what the club were trying to do and they were build towards that but a very bad summer in the transfers put pay to that 

who to blame for signing the wrong players ? who knows 

the right players at that time and Farke might be here now and we might and i say might have had a better chance staying up 

BUT what Webber got that was so so wrong was not getting a replacement for Farke that was same style of play to progress not completely different 

so you are right Wagner and Winter is the style of manager / HC we should have been looking at to replace Farke 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Playing style - to me this is still very much the unanswered question.

My take on what happened is that humiliation of the first Farke Premier season convinced one or both of them that we had to try things differently second time round. When it still seemed to be failing Smith seemed more of a half-way house - still wanting possession but more pragmatic about the risks that he was prepared to take. This failed in the both the Premier League and the championship - where next?

Assuming Burnley get promoted it will be interesting to see how they get on. Is it possible for a newly promoted team to "outfootball" premier league teams or will he adjust tactics to be more defensively secure + use more direct attacking methods.

Brentford are a perfect example of how to survive without either parking the bus or spending a fortune.

Crystal clear tactics and uber-shrewd transfer business is what it takes.

Initially under Farke we had both - by the end we had neither, sadly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

No, a step down for sure. 

You’d think so, but I’m pretty sure I read that finances aren’t that strong in the German system - we may well be able to pay more and the possibility of being in the PL could well be a lure. DF showed that it’s possible to manage a lifestyle based around both locations.

Edit - of course, along with many other links, it’s as likely as not a garbage rumour 

Edited by Branston Pickle

All this speculation and betting on the next manager. Can any of you cast your mind back to pre- DF appointment and remember if he was on the shortlist?

All the betting companies just want our money,  but maybe we will get someone who is under the media radar. 

Just like Daniel 

Edited by Harry53
Typo