Sign in to follow this  
Coneys Knee

Left field candidates

I'm going for our very own "90%er", Stuart Webber. Clearly thinks he can do the job so why not? No compensation required, knows the club,gets on with Delia. 

Clearly likes a 433

31 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Not just me...

.......as well as the organ ? 

John Herdman. 

Did very well getting Canada to the WC and played some excellent and exciting attacking football. 

We can afford him. We'd have to lure him away as the prospect of the WC on home turf in 4 years would be exciting for him. 

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Gerardo Seoane. Posted about him earlier today on another thread, would be an amazing appointment IMO.

I’ve just been researching his tactics after seeing this post earlier. 
Seoane teams are attacking, and then some.

Found a cool video that breaks down his style. I’m on board. This is what I want to see at Norwich City. 

Considering we can't find another manager from the European lower leagues anymore (due to Brexit), I wonder if we'd venture into markets that are now open. We've obviously started to tap into the South American markets for players, so I wonder of that might be a left-field option?

I have next to zero knowledge of SA football, but I'd assume that it would be a bit too much of a risk, unless someone has any recommendations?

9 hours ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

I’ve just been researching his tactics after seeing this post earlier. 
Seoane teams are attacking, and then some.

Found a cool video that breaks down his style. I’m on board. This is what I want to see at Norwich City. 

Seoane looks like exactly the type of guy who should be right at the top of our shortlist. Clear style, good pedigree.

Fluent in 6 languages including Spanish and portugese which could be useful with South America becoming an important recruitment market for us moving forward.

14 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Isnt there someone managing in Canada (not Jim Brennan) with Norwich links? Cant bring him to mind? Has links with Beckham? Or am I dreaming that?

You might be getting a little mixed up and thinking of Frank Yallop (yes, a relative of mine), emigrated to Canada, he played for Ip****e and is currently managing in the States. Previously managed Beckham at LA Galaxy. 

5 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Seoane looks like exactly the type of guy who should be right at the top of our shortlist. Clear style, good pedigree.

Fluent in 6 languages including Spanish and portugese which could be useful with South America becoming an important recruitment market for us moving forward.

I think style of play is hugely important to getting buy-in from the supporters. I can still hear 'Dean Smith your football is sh1t' in my head, and it was.

His name was mentioned a few weeks back. Would be an interesting and exciting appointment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think style of play is hugely important to getting buy-in from the supporters. I can still hear 'Dean Smith your football is sh1t' in my head, and it was.

His name was mentioned a few weeks back. Would be an interesting and exciting appointment.

Agree wholeheartedly. If promotion is an imperative, so should be reconnecting with our footballing identity. 

Seoane would indeed be very exciting, though (I’d imagine) very unlikely. 

14 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Dean Windass and that other striker we tried to sign in the 90s for 500k (?also from Hull) who I cant track down. Sean someone? Rescue me someone it's driving me crazy - had long hair I think

CMS I think is what you are thinking.. 

Craig Mackail Smith..

7 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Agree wholeheartedly. If promotion is an imperative, so should be reconnecting with our footballing identity. 

Seoane would indeed be very exciting, though (I’d imagine) very unlikely. 

Agreed it's very unlikely. Unfortunately there's going to be a few vacancies in the Premier League soon; possibly Everton, West Ham, Leeds etc which isn't going to help. I doubt he'll drop from Bundesliga to Championship.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Agreed it's very unlikely. Unfortunately there's going to be a few vacancies in the Premier League soon; possibly Everton, West Ham, Leeds etc which isn't going to help. I doubt he'll drop from Bundesliga to Championship.

Highly unlikely unfortunately, unless Farke could sell him “the project” for us

A few names...

Jim Curtin- yes an American. Led Philadelphia Union from being one of the worst teams in the MLS to a penalty shootout away from winning the whole thing.

Pascal Jansen- has done an excellent job at AZ Alkmaar, technical born in the UK so work permit wouldn't be an issue. Fun fact, his mum was part of musical duo 'Spooky and Sue.'

Jacob Frijs- formerly manager of AAB but had to step back due to his daughter being seriously ill. Returned to manager Viborg this season and has them in second place.

I've not watched loads of these apart from Curtin but they all seem interesting names at least.

• Like 1

Another one that may have been mentioned already...Ian Evatt at Bolton. 

Taken them from League 2 to 5th in League One despite financial issues. The description of his style from Wikipedia is interesting too...

"Evatt prefers to play attacking possession-based football, with his Barrow team nicknamed "Barrowcelona" due to the attacking football they played.[60][61] At Barrow he played a 3-4-1-2 formation and used the same system at Bolton Wanderers. He changed to a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Bolton going from 20th to third and achieving promotion to League One.[61][62][56] Evatt frequently decides against naming a substitute goalkeeper on the bench, preferring to have more attacking options and has had outfield players do goalkeeping training, just in case.[63][64] Evatt will sometimes bring on attacking players when winning matches rather than defensive players, preferring to score more goals than defend a lead.[65]"

4 hours ago, Mark .Y. said:

You might be getting a little mixed up and thinking of Frank Yallop (yes, a relative of mine), emigrated to Canada, he played for Ip****e and is currently managing in the States. Previously managed Beckham at LA Galaxy. 

Yes, Frank Yallop - thank you! I did think maybe it was an Ipswich link and not a Norwich link when I couldnt pin him down

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

No, it clicked - Sean Devine (Barnet not Hull - black and orange, bit rubbish that's all I remembered)

The Reckless Guide to Barnet FC: SEAN DEVINE

Well I'm backing CMS for next manager... I heard he has his own horse... 

6 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Considering we can't find another manager from the European lower leagues anymore (due to Brexit), I wonder if we'd venture into markets that are now open. We've obviously started to tap into the South American markets for players, so I wonder of that might be a left-field option?

I have next to zero knowledge of SA football, but I'd assume that it would be a bit too much of a risk, unless someone has any recommendations?

I've no idea how commonly English is spoken to a reasonable level in South America as a whole, but Id imagine language is a bigger barrier for a coach than a player so this seems unlikely

10 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Well I'm backing CMS for next manager... I heard he has his own horse... 

You really have to wonder what was going on in that Sean Devine photoshoot. 

Right Sean, we've managed to get you the ground for an hour or so, so you'll at least have a stylish backdrop. Now, summon your inner Chesney Hawkes. Smoulder to the camera. Yes, the camera loves you! Now imagine you're some passionate latino she's just met on holiday, amazing! Now, a bit more traditional for this next one, what coat did you come in? Perfect, now smile at the camera and brood when I say 'Trotter's Independent Traders'!

Edited by The Great Mass Debater