cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread v QPR*

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Looks like the both had a bit of a pull then Cantwell went down because he knew he didn't have the legs to out run Chair. 

Bit unlucky really, he'd have got clear of any of their defenders, Chair is quick.

I think the ref was right to not wreck the game for that one.

Wreck the game? You sound like a neutral.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't tell if you are joking or not, but you know the mic isn't built into the camera right? Can place the mics anywhere. That isn't what Smith sounds like from the commentary box.

Just saying the crowd are ****ing too quiet and for once you can't blame the team for not giving them something to shout about!

Good game between two even sides. We look a lot better in the middle with Hayden and Gibbs able to close and tackle. McCallum looking bright, and Cantwell. Sara is very frustrating but there is a player in there soon. Could go either way.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't tell if you are joking or not, but you know the mic isn't built into the camera right? Can place the mics anywhere. That isn't what Smith sounds like from the commentary box.

To be fair both sets of fans are quiet as hell, both sets of benches can be heard from the back of the upper Barclay. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

No chance, a coming together nothing more. 

I fear for the future of the game if people want reds for that games will end up as 5 a side matches 🙄

Where did I say I wanted a red, I said the way the game is officiated nowadays it would have been a red. That’s the only way I can judge it, by the way the game is officiated currently not what used to happen.

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I fear for the future of the game if people want reds for that games will end up as 5 a side matches 🙄

It's not a coming together when one man starts with a 5 yard start like Cantwell did, it's a race to the ball.

In a situation where Cantwell didn't really have the ball at his feet there's absolutely no need for contact on him.

5 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think the exact opposite, Gunn is very good with his feet and fair more reliable, Kruls passing is slow and often behind the man.  Gunn made 2 excellent passes out to the half way line, one to Bryam and one to Gibbs, unfortunately he balanced that with an over hit one to McCallum.   

But that's what he always does, hits it long. 

I don't miss Krul right now because Gunn has been fantastic, but his hopeful punt near the end would have been a touch  away from the pressing opposition player then pass out left to Gibson if it was Krul. Gunn afraid to take the touch as he lacks confidence with his feet, hopefully something that will come with experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

Coming together from behind is a foul, you can't look the other way and just barge a player over.  🤨 especially when trying to pull them back.  

Still going long far too often, would like to see the midfield dropping a bit deeper with a bit more movement to help break the lines and get the ball forwards.

• Like 1

Much, much better than Saturday. First 20 mins very decent but we did fade a little for the rest of the half. But we know it’s a strong opponent tonight.

Would like to see Aarons on for Byram, and Nunez for Sara if we’re looking for something on 60 mins. With Hernandez shortly after!

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

To be fair both sets of fans are quiet as hell, both sets of benches can be heard from the back of the upper Barclay. 

Fair enough! 

Eyewitness account I will accept.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CDMullins said:

It's not a coming together when one man starts with a 5 yard start like Cantwell did, it's a race to the ball.

In a situation where Cantwell didn't really have the ball at his feet there's absolutely no need for contact on him.

You do realise its still (for the time being) a contact sport? Of which there was minimal. 

People need to take of their yellow tinted specs, you'd be screaming bloody murder if it was the other way round and a red card given. 🙄

God but Hayden is s-l-o-w. Bit worried he's going to get a red because he'll be done for pace in a desperate situation.

Todd's working hard but frankly he's not looking very special tonight. 

Teemu's movement is still a marvel to behold. 

Sara nearly there, but does the usual Norwich thing of winning the ball brilliantly & then giving it straight back.

Sam excellent but fading a bit, same with Aaron.

COYY!!!

2 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Coming together from behind is a foul, you can't look the other way and just barge a player over.  🤨 especially when trying to pull them back.  

Barge over 😂😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Yes there was a bit of contact.

Yes referee could have sent him off.

But Cantwell also made a meal out of it, and don't blame the ref for not wanting to ruin the game over that one.

Rather we had refs who went by gut feeling than f*cking VAR pauses every 3 minutes and some geek getting a calculator out or drawing dodgy lines. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Probably the best we’ve played for some time but faded as the half went on. Need an outball into central midfield and to stop the loose passes.

Nunez or Kenny on for Gibbs at some point for me and Onel for a burst when they tire.

We just have to stay patient. We're by far the better team but this time we look defensively solid too. Keep it tight then take our chance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

God but Hayden is s-l-o-w. Bit worried he's going to get a red because he'll be done for pace in a desperate situation.

you've got to hope he's still getting up to speed 😬🤞

I think the ref got the Cantwell call right, I'd have been annoyed if that went against us.

Really not a bad half, Teemu of 2 seasons ago scores both of those chances and those are the margins we're working with. Need to slow down a little in attack and we should have this 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You do realise its still (for the time being) a contact sport? Of which there was minimal. 

People need to take of their yellow tinted specs, you'd be screaming bloody murder if it was the other way round and a red card given. 🙄

Absolutely,

But you keep calling it a coming together, when Cantwell was actively running away from him.

And Chair was wrong side of him.

• Like 1

QPR are all about teamwork and effort and we should have sufficient individual quality to win this. Usual problem poor passes and nobody unable to put their foot on the ball and create some space.

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

We just have to stay patient. We're by far the better team but this time we look defensively solid too. Keep it tight then take our chance. 

I agree, really important to keep up the momentum.  Then use the subs wisely at 60 mins.  BTW that is the one thing I believe Smith does really well.

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I think the ref got the Cantwell call right, I'd have been annoyed if that went against us.

Really not a bad half, Teemu of 2 seasons ago scores both of those chances and those are the margins we're working with. Need to slow down a little in attack and we should have this 

I think had the position been reversed I would have expected our player to go.  I might hate the rules, but they are clear, and how many yellows are given each match for far less obvious offences when a team is breaking and transitioning the ball.  Chair knew what he was doing and so did Todd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think had the position been reversed I would have expected our player to go.  I might hate the rules, but they are clear, and how many yellows are given each match for far less obvious offences when a team is breaking and transitioning the ball.  Chair knew what he was doing and so did Todd.

We get away with some, opposition get away with some, that's football.

Reality is that the ref probably didn't feel like he saw enough to make the call, that happens, he doesn't have TV replay's like us. 

Linesman didn't flag, probably lino who should have noticed if anything.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1