The Bristol Nest

Unofficial Reading v Norwich match thread with all the news

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, we played poor yet somehow sitll unbeaten and end of the day point away from home from the team in 3rd who have the best defensive record in the league is not bad at all  

They have the worst goal difference of any team in the top half, and conceded more than most in top half , what stats are you looking at

Can anyone identify what our attacking gameplan is?

What patterns are we creating that are supposed to end up in goal scoring opportunities? 

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

Better second half, looked like two teams happy to grab a point.

Smith has got to find the answer to getting Sarge up front, he was absolutely superb when shifted and is clearly wasted out wide.

Needs Sargant as main striker in the centre with Pukki playing off him

• Like 2

Gibbs was very good I thought second half. Subs struggled, perhaps Smith changed too much at once with the triple change? It did feel like a lot to me at the time. 

I’m not sure what Dowell brings to be honest - he’s poor every time he plays. Sinani buzzed around a little without much penetration, and Hernandez struggled to impose himself like he usually does.

Basically without Nunez on the pitch, or a Buendia / in form Cantwell we don’t really have the players in midfield who can drop deep and progress through tight spaces. The lack of Nunez was painfully obvious for the final 15, we basically played it square across the back 4 over and over and every time it went forward it either came straight back or went out for a throw in.

Certainly take the point though and don’t think it was undeserved, just missing some cutting edge or a bit more tempo at the end there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I wonder if Hendrick on loan was an option we should have explored? 

I thought exactly the same thing. Looked class.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, here’s the thing - we’ve had a number of people bemoaning that we haven’t played anyone in the top half (demonstrably untrue) and we get a creditable draw at the side in 3rd place.

We have ALWAYS struggled against physical sides, whoever has been in charge. 

For the last 10 minutes we were the only side interested in pressing for the winner - doesn’t that tell the detractors anything at all? 

To answer my own question - no it doesn’t, because we get the same people moaning about the same thing over and over and over.

We’re 9 unbeaten, including a draw at a form side in 3rd place. That’s just not good enough though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

Better second half, looked like two teams happy to grab a point.

Smith has got to find the answer to getting Sarge up front, he was absolutely superb when shifted and is clearly wasted out wide.

I'm out of reactions today, but completely agree. Pukki is very much worshipped though so it would be a big call.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

For the last 10 minutes we were the only side interested in pressing for the winner - doesn’t that tell the detractors anything at all? 

BBC says 1 shot for us all game and 0 on target. Is that pressing for the winner?

• Haha 1

Just now, WD40 said:

BBC says 1 shot for us all game and 0 on target. Is that pressing for the winner?

Lol, in his eyes, yes

wonder what the data says on that one.

😂

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

To answer my own question - no it doesn’t, because we get the same people moaning about the same thing over and over and over.

We’re 9 unbeaten, including a draw at a form side in 3rd place. That’s just not good enough though.

I was actually less embarrassed as a Norwich fan last season than I am when I read the negative entitled rubbish on here.

Are we playing well? No, well below what we are capable of. Are there mitigating circumstances for this? Clearly the LB injuries crises and ridiculous amount of games we have played by the first week of October mean this is very unlikely to be one of those vintage seasons.

I do believe we have shown flashes of quality play, and I do believe we will improve in the second half of the season, but for now we are where we need to be.

• Like 2

Continuing to paper over cracks.

It's so dull and tedious.

Can't remember last time I enjoyed watching us play.

God knows what our attacking strategy is, no one seems to know, possibly because we don't have one.

Gibbs just like he could be quality.

All very meh and will be until we replace Smith.

• Like 1

Take the point. Played blandly again, but if no one can beat us, we'll go up. What we do if we get there, who knows? 

Personally, I'd have given Pukki a rest tonight. Now, I'd give him a rest on Saturday and play Sargent up top with Hernandez starting. Preston have a great defence - we will need pace out wide to beat it.

Then again, if we had another option at right back I'd also rest Aarons, who has turned into a bog standard champs full back from the exciting, adventurous footballer he was. Same thing happened to Lewis - burn out?

1 minute ago, Ian said:

I was actually less embarrassed as a Norwich fan last season than I am when I read the negative entitled rubbish on here.

Are we playing well? No, well below what we are capable of. Are there mitigating circumstances for this? Clearly the LB injuries crises and ridiculous amount of games we have played by the first week of October mean this is very unlikely to be one of those vintage seasons.

I do believe we have shown flashes of quality play, and I do believe we will improve in the second half of the season, but for now we are where we need to be.

Well said.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That was our goal.

Was it a deflection?

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Lol, in his eyes, yes

😂

Unlike you to not actually check the data Buh.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We just got outplayed by a side coached by Paul Ince. 

The performance wasn't good enough, as it hasn't been for many games already this season - regardless of the results. 

• Confused 1

Just now, WD40 said:

That’s either a very obvious lie or you need to refresh your page!  Mine says we had 7 shots to their 10.  But that isn’t the point - we were pushing forward, they were defending on numbers. 

If you aren't playing well enough to win, then don't lose. We didn't and Sheff Utd did. I'll take those results.  

Good to see Gibbs back, but lack of attacking thrust remains a big concern (yes I know we are joint top) 

• Like 1

Just now, Ian said:

Unlike you to not actually check the data Buh.

Data tells you everything you want to confirm to yourself

7 minutes ago, kirku said:

I thought exactly the same thing. Looked class.

Not sure he did anything more than stand in the gaping hole that we inevitably leave in front of the centre backs and take pot shots. Think that says more about Norwich than Hendrick.

We are so ponderous in possession we always leave ourselves open to a counter against a team that sits in and breaks quickly, then back peddle too far and leave that space. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Lol, in his eyes, yes

😂

Or the fact that is is a downright lie.  But, hey, you’re never one to let truth or facts get in the way of your pointless comments.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Data tells you everything you want to confirm to yourself

Well said. Spoken like a true flat earther.

PS. Irony meter off the scale considering you took WD40's mistake at face value because it confirmed your biases.

Edited by Ian

Just now, Barham Blitz said:

Not sure he did anything more than stand in the gaping hole that we inevitably leave in front of the centre backs and take pot shots. Think that says more about Norwich than Hendrick.

We are so ponderous in possession we always leave ourselves open to a counter against a team that sits in and breaks quickly, then back peddle too far and leave that space. 

In his defence, he showed more tonight than we've seen from our potential record signing...

Another strange one. Conceded during our best spell. Gibbs was excellent. Prefer the shape with the three midfielders but we need to move it quicker/be more direct final third. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Or the fact that is is a downright lie.  But, hey, you’re never one to let truth or facts get in the way of your pointless comments.

Facts don't matter when you just can't get over your ex (manager)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Pukki has scored four in his last five as a lone striker, though. If it's a straight choice between Pukki and Sargent for their preferred position, Pukki surely wins?

Depends on the opposition.  If they sit in we have nobody who sees those little balls outside the centre back quickly enough to make Pukki effective and Sargent becomes the better option with Pukki playing off him IMO.

If the opposition plays a higher line then Pukki absolutely because the ball doesn't have to be either as quick or as precise.