Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Onel Hernández really does love us🇨🇺

Saw this on Twitter earlier and thought it was great. Whatever you think of his contribution in terms of end product (or lack thereof), it must’ve been a big boost to squad morale to bring someone back in who has a very strong affinity with the club, a positive relationship with the fans and without personally bearing any of those horrible relegation scars. Particularly with respect to our signings of last summer who only know pain since joining the club. Not to mention the guy seems like he’s full of life and a great character to have around in general! Would be great to see him rekindle that goal scoring form from 18/19. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

For the older posters, he reminds me of Jimmy Neighbour. For the younger ones Lee Croft. 

An awful lot of effort but little or no end result. Lovely bloke though. 

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For the older posters, he reminds me of Jimmy Neighbour. For the younger ones Lee Croft. 

An awful lot of effort but little or no end result. Lovely bloke though. 

That seems a bit harsh. I have fond memories of Jimmy sending in crosses from the wing to be nodded home. It's a shame they didn't record "assists" in those days.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For the younger ones Lee Croft.

That's Player of the Season Lee Croft.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

That seems a bit harsh. I have fond memories of Jimmy sending in crosses from the wing to be nodded home. It's a shame they didn't record "assists" in those days.

You've got a better memory than me.  90% of his crosses ended up in the crowd. It's why Spurs sold him 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You've got a better memory than me.  90% of his crosses ended up in the crowd. It's why Spurs sold him 

No, I have a different memory from you - and one which might be wrong.

Sometimes, however, a player can excite a crowd despite their ability. Just as I used to like to see Jimmy sprinting down the touchline, so too do fans with Onel today.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

No, I have a different memory from you - and one which might be wrong.

Sometimes, however, a player can excite a crowd despite their ability. Just as I used to like to see Jimmy sprinting down the touchline, so too do fans with Onel today.

Chris Waddle used to run into a lot of dead ends and overplay often and try and beat an extra man rather than play the obvious ball, but is a bonafide Mairselle legend and credited with inspiring the style Zidane (he said so himself). I mean, sounds ludicrous to compare the two, as Waddle was borderline World Class at his peak, but Onel is perhaps the Championship Chris Waddle, the maverick risk taker who is capable of a moment of brilliance but also has a complete stinker in him. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Glenn Hoddle used to run into a lot of dead ends and overplay often and try and beat an extra man rather than play the obvious ball, but is a bonafide Mairselle legend and credited with inspiring the style Zidane (he said so himself). I mean, sounds ludicrous to compare the two, as Hoddle was borderline World Class at his peak, but Onel is perhaps the Championship Glenn Hoddle, the maverick risk taker who is capable of a moment of brilliance but also has a complete stinker in him. 

Do you mean Chris Waddle?

1 minute ago, (Northern) Irish Canary said:

Do you mean Chris Waddle?

Oh dear, yes I do!

Glenn Hoddle was of course bonafide World Class, not borderline, and that comparison would be a whole new level of ludicrious.

Thanks, I've edited.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

FarQoGYX0AEHOSG?format=jpg&name=large

FarQoGbXwAARsYK?format=jpg&name=large

FarQoGfXgAEm4mV?format=jpg&name=large

He’s giving you all what you want hear flicking through a Argos  catalogue which stopped printing 2 years ago while drinking his overpriced Costa coffee 

Seems a nice guy though 

14 minutes ago, daly said:

He’s giving you all what you want hear flicking through a Argos  catalogue which stopped printing 2 years ago while drinking his overpriced Costa coffee 

Seems a nice guy though 

This. I love Onel cos he’s a laugh, and as mentioned earlier he’s a maverick, but he’s on a massive wind up here big time! 

Remember when he was interviewed at an airport by a random who didn’t know who he was? Proceeded to spout a load of horlicks then just for s*!ts and giggles.

I remember his first game for us. He was warming up as a sub and the lower Barclay/snake pit started making some noise. At that point he had no idea if we were on his side or not and I swear he was about flip us the bird before one of the other subs put him straight. Funny ol’ boy

Good guy on and off the pitch. 

Edited by Coneys Knee

1 hour ago, daly said:

They still have laminated catalogues in store I think, which you can flick through to find your items. You just can't take one home with you, so he's not telling porkies.

• Like 1

“My favourite corner with the Argos sign there.” Is a phrase I don’t think I’d ever read. 

But fair play the lad! Love it!

Edited by WD40

One thing that people seem to be undervaluing in Onel's importance this season is his status as the only Spanish speaker for Nunez to talk to in his native tongue, must be invaluable also for his wife and family (with Onel's family all living here also). Can tell they already have a good report

• Like 1

Pukki speaks good Spanish as well according to Smith due to his time at Sevilla.

Onel doesn't actually live in Norwich but the sentiment is there. As mentioned, Norfolk is a nice place to bring up a young family.

It's nice to see his connection with the club, it's quite a rare thing nowadays.

I wonder if he genuinely loves Argos that much, or if he is playing on it because of that earlier interview. Either way, I have much love for Onel - he tried 100% every minute he's on the pitch and that's the least you can ask for. Nice to see him back in and around the team where I've no doubt he will play his part this season.