Canary dwarf

Deanos biggest game

As someone said somewhere, I thought having a Sporting Director negated the need for the manager (Head Coach?)'s to have own players as the way we play shouldn't be particularly different.

Yes, Smith will haveĀ a say but if he wants to play a different way to that which the Sporting Director sets then surely Webber has hired the wrong man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Watford didn't start any new players last night.Ā 

They did lose a lot of players from their regular starting 11. Foster, Samir, feminia, Masina, Sissoko, Kucka Josh King and Hernandez( info from my Watford mate). Also Louza was injured. Yes the players who started had all been with the club for a while but they did have major changes and a new manager. They still looked more cohesive than we did. Smith worries me as yes it's not his players but he should still be able to get a tune out of them in this division. He has also had the time to do so.Ā 

1 hour ago, wr4sb said:

As someone said somewhere, I thought having a Sporting Director negated the need for the manager (Head Coach?)'s to have own players as the way we play shouldn't be particularly different.

Yes, Smith will haveĀ a say but if he wants to play a different way to that which the Sporting Director sets then surely Webber has hired the wrong man.

100% agree. The whole idea of the sporting director is he sets the style of play and buys players and appoints a manager to fit with that. Something has gone a miss.Ā 

4 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

This is Dean Smith's biggest and most important game in his Norwich reign at home to Wigan Saturday,when he took over last season , he had a group of underperforming players, that most weren't prem standard,and opening day of the season ALWAYS throws up some freakish results , so this is a Biggie for him at home to a side that will almost certainly be in a relegation scrap,nothing but a win will be good enough anything less and he'll be walking on thin ice and it will be hard to see a way back for him. OTBCšŸ˜„

Correct, but I also have the feeling some have already got the excuses and mitigating circumstances ready to go. I'm calling them "Gel-ers" or "Gellers", those that are obsessed with the fact that we just need a little more time to "Gel"

The excuse is Hanley wasnt here and our Center back partnership couldn't have possibly kept Wigan out as they scored those 4 goals. They just need time to gel.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Carrow Road will become a living hell for the guilty parties

The crowdĀ further turnsĀ itsĀ volume down half a notch,Ā sendingĀ outĀ a punishingĀ message

Fans are caught on camera in overt muttering and Ā even some scowlingĀ incidents,Ā across more than one stand throughout the match

An unprecedented flashpointĀ occurs in the snake pit towards the end of the match, whenĀ an irate supporter curses out loudĀ theĀ manager, SD & board, whichĀ isĀ audibleĀ for several rows around

*Fan mutters under their breath as Wigan score a 4th*

Webber "The fan negativity is getting out of hand and they should be ashamed of themselves. We must not forget that this is all their fault. Public floggings will begin at the next home game

All the best

Webbo

#OTBC #StopTheHate"

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

100% agree. The whole idea of the sporting director is he sets the style of play and buys players and appoints a manager to fit with that. Something has gone a miss.Ā 

The plan at the start of last season was to change the style of play.

2 minutes ago, repman said:

The plan at the start of last season was to change the style of play.

I do agree the plan was to change the way we play. I also don't think the change took into account the best player we have. Sometimes you have to play to your strength. I still hope we have unearthed a gem from South America but if not then we will still have Pukki playing and getting no service and as out highest earner. I did an earlier post about starting with Hugill rather than Pukki. We all know who is the better player and by a country mile but would Hugill suit the other players better.Ā Ā 

4 hours ago, BigFish said:

Speaks for itsself really, pathetic, really pathetic

So your going to sit there all happy **** if we lose?

Stop kidding yourself.

Pathetic, really patheticĀ 

Iā€™m not writing Smith or last weekā€™s squad after just one game, but I have to sayĀ that I think Saturdayā€™s fixture against Wigan is a must win for Smith. Considering weā€™ve only just come down from the PL and are regarded as having one of the strongest squads in the Championship, most would expect us to find an easy 3 points at home toĀ a team thatā€™s only just come up fromĀ League One. Although I thought ourĀ performance against Cardiff was abysmal, Iā€™d never judge us after one game as thereā€™s another 45 still to be played andĀ first promotion season under Farke we didnā€™t really get going until mid/late September.

We might even justĀ be suffering from a relegation hangover,Ā but ifĀ we fail to beat Wigan thoughĀ I have to say I think I will start hoveringĀ the question mark over Smith unless we get going very soon.

11 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Watford didn't start any new players last night.Ā 

Watford were only marginally less shĆ­te than ourselves last season.

image.png.56d555f396f15767402edb8b31e3f9db.png

10 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Watford were only marginally less shĆ­te than ourselves last season.

image.png.56d555f396f15767402edb8b31e3f9db.png

But looked like they had a idea of what they were doing and a few fast players upfront with flair. This was also under a new manager. Smith has had a long time to look at these players and if they are as good as we thought they were or at least some of them, he should have managed to find a way to make a team that looked like it had an idea of what it was trying to do. I'm still struggling to work out what the master plan was on Saturday.Ā 

Expect the same goal shy, non competitive performance as directed by Norwichā€™s least inspiring coachingĀ team since Glenn Roeder. It will beĀ another dreary, lifeless 90 minutes. Best part of the game will be the pre-match pulled pork bap.

If we don't beat Wigan at home it's time for heads on spikes.

NothingĀ else will do.

I don't want to hear any more excuses from Smith "lacked quality", "referee", "lucky deflection",Ā Ā "Shakey had a broken thermos" or any of that nonsense.Ā 

Win orĀ its heads on spikes time. Ā JFDI.Ā 

On 03/08/2022 at 07:30, kenfoggo said:

Expect the same goal shy, non competitive performance as directed by Norwichā€™s least inspiring coachingĀ team since Glenn Roeder. It will beĀ another dreary, lifeless 90 minutes. Best part of the game will be the pre-match pulled pork bap.

Ā 

58 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

If we don't beat Wigan at home it's time for heads on spikes.

NothingĀ else will do.

I don't want to hear any more excuses from Smith "lacked quality", "referee", "lucky deflection",Ā Ā "Shakey had a broken thermos" or any of that nonsense.Ā 

Win orĀ its heads on spikes time. Ā JFDI.Ā 

Don't upset Webber he will ThreatenĀ to Leave !Ā 

I dread to think what the reception will be like if we lose at home at the weekend. I don't feel like the crowd are going to give Smith a great deal of patience or time.

For all those who think that the Cardiff loss on Saturday does not matter, ā€œitā€™s only one game in a long season,ā€, ā€œfunny things happen in first gamesā€, ā€œthe team has yet to gelā€ Ā etc, etc; The thing to take away from that game is that Cardiff wanted to win, they were determined to win, they were prepared to do anything to achieve the win. Norwich were not prepared to be physically competitive and that has sent a message to the rest of the Championship. If I was the Wigan coach I would want my side to kick Norwich off the park in the first ten minutes, rough them up and be dominant, Norwich have proven that they cannot take it. Cantwell will mince around making sure his Alice band doesnā€™t get pushed out of place and the rest will back off not wanting to get a ā€œhurty toeā€.

2 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

For all those who think that the Cardiff loss on Saturday does not matter, ā€œitā€™s only one game in a long season,ā€, ā€œfunny things happen in first gamesā€, ā€œthe team has yet to gelā€ Ā etc, etc; The thing to take away from that game is that Cardiff wanted to win, they were determined to win, they were prepared to do anything to achieve the win. Norwich were not prepared to be physically competitive and that has sent a message to the rest of the Championship. If I was the Wigan coach I would want my side to kick Norwich off the park in the first ten minutes, rough them up and be dominant, Norwich have proven that they cannot take it. Cantwell will mince around making sure his Alice band doesnā€™t get pushed out of place and the rest will back off not wanting to get a ā€œhurty toeā€.

Sadly I don't really disagree with most of this.

Although, I would say Cantwell was our best player last week and was one of the few who did look like they were prepared to make an effort (and even 'put a foot in' where necessary...even though he is not blessed with naturally being the most physical a player)

Smith has had more than enough time with these players,no excuses it should be six points from the next two games otherwise things will start to feel uncomfortableĀ 

Ā 

3 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

Totally agree with this. Unfortunately if last week's ref is anything to go by we won't be getting much protection from them either. Bearing in mind most of the starting XI has played in the Championship it was extraordinary how many of them weren't up for the physicality. This is where Hayden will he absolutely key.

Speculation is building that this is a significant game for the future of Smith and the coaching team. Norwich (newly relegated) V Wigan (newly promoted). There should be a gulf in ability between the City squad and the Athletic squad. But Leam Richardson seems to be a grounded, Ā inspirational, motivational coach who has got Wigan performing above their on paper level. They know how to score goals , in July theyĀ beat a Liverpool team 6-0 and they finished an unbeaten pre season build up with a 4-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday. WiganĀ doĀ not concede thatĀ many goals , their first game was 0-0 against Preston (which after one game puts them above us in the Championship). No game this season will be a walk over for Norwich, the Championship is obviously a highly competitive division but whileĀ City should be favourites at home it may not be the easy fixture many believe it will be.

Edited by kenfoggo

Nobody can be over supportive of Dean Smith at this moment in time, and the reasons for this have been put forward with varyingĀ Ā degrees of force in this thread and others.

Although it is currently difficult to find one real positive, step forward or even element of encouragement from his tenure at Carrow Road,Ā he still needs to be given a fair run.

I suppose that the tact has to be to get as manyĀ points on the board as we can until the new boys are up and running and then, hopefully, start to be the force that many anticipated.

The Cardiff game was a stunning disappointment in that respect,Ā as that fixture was as benign an opener as ever there was.Ā Ā Three points discarded in what will be a tough ask in the race atĀ the top.

Ditto Wigan as our first home fixture.Ā 

We need a dominating performance. I have a feeling the management team does even more so. There are rumblings afoot and other suitable candidates are being eyed up,Ā by the fans at least. Webber and Co. will rightfully have more patience. Smith needs to produce a lot more, though, or otherwise theĀ Ā boardroom will get nervous.

To defend Smith, and to extend the excuse that is NCFC, other than beating Blackburn convincingly, we are notoriously bad opening game of the season, every season.

For whatever reason, and whatever manager, we always seem to still be on holiday every opening game of the season, and have always look sluggish.

Let's hope a more stirring, energetic and sharper performance will be given, 3 points in the bag and everyone will feel better!

It can't be a make-or-break game this early in the season, but a loss would pile the pressure on Smith. He has to start delivering soon, or at least looking like he is capable of delivering.

1 hour ago, kenfoggo said:

Speculation is building that this is a significant game for the future of Smith and the coaching team. Norwich (newly relegated) V Wigan (newly promoted). There should be a gulf in ability between the City squad and the Athletic squad. But Leam Richardson seems to be a grounded, Ā inspirational, motivational coach who has got Wigan performing above their on paper level. They know how to score goals , in July theyĀ beat a Liverpool team 6-0 and they finished an unbeaten pre season build up with a 4-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday. WiganĀ doĀ not concede thatĀ many goals , their first game was 0-0 against Preston (which after one game puts them above us in the Championship). No game this season will be a walk over for Norwich, the Championship is obviously a highly competitive division but whileĀ City should be favourites at home it may not be the easy fixture many believe it will be.

0-0 and there will be a riot šŸ¤£

Lightning struck twice for Smith and Jones in Paul Lambert/Grant Holt followed by Daniel Farke/Teemu Pukki.....

Ā 

Those odds were long enough so what chance of it happening for them again? Virtually zero is the answer to that so get used to being a mid table Champs set up until things radically change in the Boardroom..

57 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

0-0 and there will be a riot šŸ¤£

As we cannot score and they concede few goals a 0-0 result would seem likely.

Just now, Nora's Ghost said:

Lightning struck twice for Smith and Jones in Paul Lambert/Grant Holt followed by Daniel Farke/Teemu Pukki.....

Ā 

Those odds were long enough so what chance of it happening for them again? Virtually zero is the answer to that so get used to being a mid table Champs set up until things radically change in the Boardroom..

Was it a lightning strike that got Worthington? And Alex Neil too?

Don't get me wrong, I think they've made a massive error appointing Dean Smith, but of our last ten full timeĀ appointments, four of them managed to get us promoted to the Premier League. And as one of those appointments only managed in the EPL, that's basically 4 from 9, a strike rate of 45%. Pretty good record that.

13 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

As we cannot score and they concede few goals a 0-0 result would seem likely.

Agreed! If itā€™s boring as well I can see walkouts like last season

The result against Cardiff was disappointing. The performance itself wasn't actually that bad and the overreaction on here won't be replicated at the club. Someone even said we had no shots on target just so it fitted with their negativity. In reality it was a very unlucky defeat against a side allowed to get away with all kinds of gamesmanship by a poor, timid referee. We weren't good, but we made enough chances to win it.

The performance tomorrow will be as important than the result. I can't see the crowd turning yet - not while we have new players to bed in and youngsters to support.