Who you playing with who's available? 

Gunn 

Aarons omobamidele Sorenson giannoulis 

Gibbs.     McLean 

Hernandez.       Cantwell.      Sinani. 

Pukki

That's a bit of a depressing line up.

Not having a go at the players selected (except may be McLean!)

But given we have spent another year in the premier league, have spent £50m+ on players, have the parachute payments - how have we ended up looking at fielding a team with players like Sorenson, Gunn, Giannoulis, Hernandez, Cantwell and Sinanai -   ALL players who were not really considered good enough either last year or even in our previous championship campaign to be in the starting 11??

A sad indictment of how far we have regressed and the poor quality signings made

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Who you playing with who's available? 

Gunn 

Aarons omobamidele Sorenson giannoulis 

Gibbs.     McLean 

Hernandez.       Cantwell.      Sinani. 

Pukki

Let's name all the niche "fashionable" players in the line up.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

Based upon that single performance, I think only Aarons and AO (and to lesser extent Krul) shouldn't be ashamed of their performance. However, you can't drop everyone after one game, I think consistency is important. Of those availabe, I think Krul, Aarons, AO, Giannoulis, Cantwell, Raschica and Pukki will be mainstays of our team this season, so persist with them and I'd also start Sinani as I think he looks like the only one able to pick a pass Pukki would like - and Pukki is our weapon, we just need someone who can load him. I'm hoping when we get the new midfielders in that Sorenson and McLean are backups but until then, they will have to start, as needs must.

A bit riskier, but I'd try this:

GK: Tim KRUL
RB: Max AARONS
CB: Andrew OMOBAMIDELE
CB: Jonathan TOMLINSON
LB: Dimitris GIANNOULIS
DCM: Jacob SÖRENSEN
DCM: Kenny MCLEAN
LW: Milot RASHICA
CAM: Todd CANTWELL
RW: Danel SINANI
CF: Teemu PUKKI

Subs: Gunn (GK), Sara, Gibbs, McCallum, Dowell, Hugill, Hernandez.

Our problem against Cardiff was lack of creativity, not helped by their good use of tactical fouls. Smith has said he likes how Sinani has a picture in his head and doesn't seem to take too many touches. That's how you defeat tactical fouling if the set pieces don't work.

Some criticised Lungi, I thought he did quite well. McLean was a bit more disciplined than usual too. After all, Cardiff had next to booger-all in attack in that game.

Also, if he's let Gibbs and Tomlinson play a fair chunk of the pre-season, he must be keeping an eye on them. He's let Gibbs come on and Gibbs looked OK. Why not try it with Tomlinson against a promoted side at home? Didn't stop Omo from starting in a tough one away at Preston and looking decent.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

players like Sorenson, Gunn, Giannoulis, Hernandez, Cantwell and Sinanai -   ALL players who were not really considered good enough either last year or even in our previous championship campaign to be in the starting 11??

Very good point, and other than Gibb's, they've all been here for at least 2 years.

It's crazy really.

10 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Or... let's name the players I'd start with what's available 👍

I've zoned out on  NCFC since the weekend. Is Pukki injured?

I think McCallum will start at LB on account of Smith's apparent ongoing frustration with Giannoulis.

15 minutes ago, rock bus said:

That's a bit of a depressing line up.

Not having a go at the players selected (except may be McLean!)

But given we have spent another year in the premier league, have spent £50m+ on players, have the parachute payments - how have we ended up looking at fielding a team with players like Sorenson, Gunn, Giannoulis, Hernandez, Cantwell and Sinanai -   ALL players who were not really considered good enough either last year or even in our previous championship campaign to be in the starting 11??

A sad indictment of how far we have regressed and the poor quality signings made

Absolutely, I wouldn't want McLean in our starting xi usually but this is what it comes down to when we've been left down to the bare bones. 

40 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Very good point, and other than Gibb's, they've all been here for at least 2 years.

It's crazy really.

But it also shows that those who have returned like Sinani have pushed on, whereas big money signings haven't really shown they are worth it, or up to it.

53 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

A bit riskier, but I'd try this:

GK: Tim KRUL
RB: Max AARONS
CB: Andrew OMOBAMIDELE
CB: Jonathan TOMLINSON
LB: Dimitris GIANNOULIS
DCM: Jacob SÖRENSEN
DCM: Kenny MCLEAN
LW: Milot RASHICA
CAM: Todd CANTWELL
RW: Danel SINANI
CF: Teemu PUKKI

Subs: Gunn (GK), Sara, Gibbs, McCallum, Dowell, Hugill, Hernandez.

I like this 11 and 18. Having Sinani out there also means he can take corners—I thought in preseason he was comfortably our best corner taker if not the best we've seen in several seasons. He consistently put nice balls into the box.

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Or... let's name the players I'd start with what's available 👍

So you would debut Sinani and Gibbs and throw the folk hero of Norfolk Mr over rated lungi in defence then?

Why not stick Gunn outfield and stick lungi in goal?

Better still let's start calling lungi plug... Cos apparently he can play anywhere and plug any gap.

Jesus wept 

Sorry my post comes across very king cnut.

Just that 11 is going to get us murdered.

I'm all for Smith to get fired but id rather we got point on the board 

I'm all for playing in form players. I don't give a twitch about playing players because of their purchase value. So if that means dropping Sargent & Rashica, then Smith should go for it. I just think Sinani & Hernandez will likely link up with Pukki better.

Hopefully Nunez, who's fit (amazing!) will also have signed and can hit the ground running. A big ask, but if he's willing, fit and match sharp, then it's a yes from me 

12 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

So you would debut Sinani and Gibbs and throw the folk hero of Norfolk Mr over rated lungi in defence then?

Why not stick Gunn outfield and stick lungi in goal?

Better still let's start calling lungi plug... Cos apparently he can play anywhere and plug any gap.

Jesus wept 

Lol chill out chap. 

11 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Sorry my post comes across very king cnut.

Just that 11 is going to get us murdered.

I'm all for Smith to get fired but id rather we got point on the board 

So who you playing if that's the case. 

I think Smith will pick

Krul

Aarons Omomob  Gibson Giann

Sara     McLean

Sargent     Cantwell    Rashica

Pukki

Gunn Byram Sorenson Dowell Sinani Hernandez Hugill

I personally would bring Dowell in to the no.10 role and switch Cantwell wide for Sargent

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Simon Tracey

Colin woodthorpe

Steve Walsh

Gary Doherty

Fernando derveld

Julian brellier

Mark Fotheringham

Peter grant

Cedric anselin

Peter Thorne

Goran maric 

17 minutes ago, raunds canary said:

Simon Tracey

Colin woodthorpe

Steve Walsh

Gary Doherty

Fernando derveld

Julian brellier

Mark Fotheringham

Peter grant

Cedric anselin

Peter Thorne

Goran maric 

Lemme guess the bench:

Michael Theoklitos (GK), Marcel Franke, Simon Whaley, Ben Marshall, David Strihavka, Thomas Helveg, Shaun Carey. 😉

I'm getting PTSD looking at this. 

3 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

As compared to the players like Rashica and Sargent who have failed us miserably time and time again? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Lemme guess the bench:

Michael Theoklitos (GK), Marcel Franke, Simon Whaley, Ben Marshall, David Strihavka, Thomas Helveg, Shaun Carey. 😉

I'm getting PTSD looking at this. 

We*d lose

I think I would go with the team I suggested for Cardiff with Gibson (hopefully fit) in place of Hanley. I am asuming none of Hayden, Sara and (hopefully) Nunez will be ready.

Krul

Aarons  Omobamidele  Gibson  Giannoulis

Sinani Gibbs McLean Cantwell

Pukki Idah

That's a much more compact midfield and a much more difficult one to break down.

Edited by Yellow Wal

I’d try and get as much as what we think is our best team on the pitch asap and hope it starts to gel.

krul, Aaron’s, Giannoulis, Omabamadiele, Gibson, Sorenson, Nunez, McClean, Cantwell, Rashica, Pukki.

Subs: Gunn, Tomkinson, Sara, Sargent,Sinani, Hudgil, Hernandez 

4 minutes ago, Big O said:

I’d try and get as much as what we think is our best team on the pitch asap and hope it starts to gel.

krul, Aaron’s, Giannoulis, Omabamadiele, Gibson, Sorenson, Nunez, McClean, Cantwell, Rashica, Pukki.

Subs: Gunn, Tomkinson, Sara, Sargent,Sinani, Hudgil, Hernandez 

Picking a player that we don't even own, who hasn't ever trained with the rest of the squad is pretty out there. So is sticking with Rashica when he can't link up play or create chances for Pukki. 

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Picking a player that we don't even own, who hasn't ever trained with the rest of the squad is pretty out there. So is sticking with Rashica when he can't link up play or create chances for Pukki. 

Fortune favours the brave. 🤣 I am hoping Rashica comes alive when we finally have some midfielders who can keep the ball and find him in space. Sargent I have less patience for as I just don’t see how he fits into a Norwich team. 

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Absolutely, I wouldn't want McLean in our starting xi usually but this is what it comes down to when we've been left down to the bare bones. 

First name on the team sheet, not good when your favourites for promotion. 

I believe we have Dowell and Sara back training now, they clearly didn't want to risk them against Cardiff. After that showing, who can blame them?!! Would probably ended up straight back on the treatment table.

You'd have to think if they were genuinely in with a shout then they are well in contention for Wigan. Could only be on the bench, but I guess we'll have to see.

Gibson and Byram are back in training this week too according to Smith I believe - pre-match presser info?

Again, no idea how close they are to a start. I suspect it will depend upon how they do this week. Rumours are Nunez has his medical tomorrow. Again, could well be that there is an outside chance of a couple of training sessions and he's in. Remember, he played at the weekend so he's not coming in cold. Bench is more likely, but never say never.

Either way, I think the cup game Vs Brum could well see a relatively strong side put out to get players some minutes in their legs, experience and introduced to English football... Not the thread I know but possibly:
GK - Gunn
RB - Byram
CB - Tomkinson
CB - Gibson
LB - McCallum
CM - Nunez
CM - Sara
CM - McLean/Sorensen/Gibbs
STR - Idah/Hugill/Sargent

Or some variation of that.

3 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Hopefully Nunez, who's fit (amazing!) will also have signed and can hit the ground running. A big ask, but if he's willing, fit and match sharp, then it's a yes from me 

I would love this to happen. I have a suspicion though that he'll turn up, play 2 games and be completely anonymous, get injured, not play again all season and we're told "he wasn't bought for this season in mind", then we'll loan him out next season and never see him again... I don't know why, call me Mr Cynical perhaps. Maybe it's just the trauma of Tzolis and Sargent, and Webber's cracking record of signing sicknotes which is clouding my optimism? 🤔 

So nobody expects Sara to start? What is wrong? A professional footballer cannot get fit and at the same time get to know Smith's system in two weeks.

Start him. We have 5 subs. If he struggles, take him off. If he has a stormer than we have gained.

Krul

Aarons AO Sorenson MaCallum

McLean

Todd Sara Gibbs Rashica

Teemu