Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

Kjetil Knutsen

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean, I can't stand Lampard, he's petulant and entitled - I'm glad we got Smith out of that two. 

Believe it or not, despite my many anti-Smith posts, so am I.

3 hours ago, wheres my rebate gone? said:

Ummm really? I'm not sure your definition of passion is the same as mine!!!!  

Ummm yeah 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Klopp wouldn't have kept that bunch up.

Sacking Farke was completely pointless. 

Agreed although I'd say it was worse than pointless, which is why Webber should have been sacked or resigned last season. But then  Webber went on to compound the mistakes he'd already made last season by appointing Smith.

Smith should never have been appointed in the first place but given that he was I suppose he had to be given the rest of the season even though it was obvious immediately that he was a big downgrade from Farke.

Why Webber and Smith are both still here for the new season is a mystery to me.

• Like 2

Oh yeh, Smith over Fwank every day all day.

The point being we fire Farke and its sad yet exciting who are we going to hire?? Knutson some other guy we have never heard of? Probably not an established name?!
Smith is fired.

Oh ffs... its Smith isnt it... tell me no... wtf hes interviewed.... WTF 

So they gave the job of keeping us up to a guy who bought our prize asset, couldnt get him firing AND was on course for getting his team relegated. This is the chap we hired to keep us up??

About to get relegated.... going to keep us up
About to get relegated... going to keep us up

No one else see the paradox in there?!
Smiths appointment was more underwhelming than Gunn, Adams or Wee Baldy. 
Disagree and your lying to yourself, honestly... you are. 

• Like 1

On 20/07/2022 at 15:03, TeemuVanBasten said:

No thanks, we don't have a vacancy.

Are you advocating we sack Dean Smith? On what grounds?

On the grounds that he can't get our team going and was failing at Villa when we threw him a life raft. 

Go get Knutsen.

I think many fans are going with Smith because the season is about to start and it's clear that he's going nowhere, so they're giving him the benefit of the doubt and crossing their fingers. Apart from a few of his guard dogs on here who pop up occasionally and tell us how wonderful he was at Brentford, I don't think there's any great enthusiasm for Smith.

So far he's had it easy: he's only had to equal or better Farke's PL record, which was pretty atrocious. Now he has to equal Farke's Championship record, which is fantastic. He needs to hit the ground running.

In Farke’s first season with us we finished 14th in the Championship, behind 1p5wich. In Smith’s first season, we finished bottom of the PL league with a team (apparently) assembled to play Daniel Farke’s style of football, a very similar performance to Farke’s first PL season. Smith (especially when assisted by Shakespeare) is a well respected coach who many Villa fans adored. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt and some time to see how a team with his changes performs, but for some reason several posters seem to have condemned him as unfit already.

Oh, and in neither of Farke’s Championship seasons did we “hit the ground running”. Both, the first especially, had a slow start. 

23 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In Farke’s first season with us we finished 14th in the Championship, behind 1p5wich. In Smith’s first season, we finished bottom of the PL league with a team (apparently) assembled to play Daniel Farke’s style of football, a very similar performance to Farke’s first PL season. Smith (especially when assisted by Shakespeare) is a well respected coach who many Villa fans adored. It doesn’t seem unreasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt and some time to see how a team with his changes performs, but for some reason several posters seem to have condemned him as unfit already.

Oh, and in neither of Farke’s Championship seasons did we “hit the ground running”. Both, the first especially, had a slow start. 

It doesn't take too much research to see that some of the same posters wanting Smith out already, also classed Farke as a 'boring, boring coach' who sets us up to 'defend and pass it around our own half for 90 minutes' whilst offering us fans 'some of the most boring football at carrow road'.

They're all quotes from Farke's first season. There's additional one's about how Vrancic wouldn't get into a League One side etc.

You would think, from consistent years of being terribly wrong you'd sit quiet and maybe wait for things to play out for a bit before speaking out again. But this is the internet.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It doesn't take too much research to see that some of the same posters wanting Smith out already, also classed Farke as a 'boring, boring coach' who sets us up to 'defend and pass it around our own half for 90 minutes' whilst offering us fans 'some of the most boring football at carrow road'.

They're all quotes from Farke's first season. There's additional one's about how Vrancic wouldn't get into a League One side etc.

You would think, from consistent years of being terribly wrong you'd sit quiet and maybe wait for things to play out for a bit before speaking out again. But this is the internet.

Since I am one of the 'posters wanting Smith out', I'd like to point out that your research presumably discovered that I stopped using this site in October 2016 and didn't return until October 2021, so clearly I made no comments about Farke or Vrançic at that time.

Although you won't find anything on here about my early thoughts on Farke, I freely admit that I had doubts about him in his first season. I certainly never posted anything negative about Vrançic, either on this or on any other site, because he is exactly the type of player that I admire: stylish, classy, and someone who achieves more in a single pass than many players achieve who run frantically around the pitch for 90 minutes.

48 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Accepted. But this is irrelevant. I was arguing that Smith needs a good start because there is no great enthusiasm for him after last season. He failed to keep us up and he did nothing to improve the team despite having two-thirds of a season to do so. In short, he doesn't have much credit in the bank.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Possibly some of the posters but certainly not me and I'm sure not the majority either,  I'm sure like me, most of the others could see during Farkes first season what he was trying to achieve, the style of football he wanted to play and the philosophy he had,  it didn't work from the off but my god it was fantastic to watch once it clicked, Smith looks like he has no idea how he wants us to play, most of the games I had no idea what the tactics were or what he was trying to achieve and to top it off it was bloody awful to watch, this in my opinion is why a lot of fans are not happy with Smith.

Also a big one for me is Farke was all about the club and fans as one, he showed great passion, Smith has portrayed none of those traits to this point! 

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Accepted. But this is irrelevant. I was arguing that Smith needs a good start because there is no great enthusiasm for him after last season. He failed to keep us up and he did nothing to improve the team despite having two-thirds of a season to do so. In short, he doesn't have much credit in the bank.

Neither did Farke after his first season. There were plenty of calls for his head just one or two games in. Thankfully the club is a bit stronger than that, the likes of Webber ignored the fan noise and well, the rest is history.

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Since I am one of the 'posters wanting Smith out', I'd like to point out that your research presumably discovered that I stopped using this site in October 2016 and didn't return until October 2021, so clearly I made no comments about Farke or Vrançic at that time.

Although you won't find anything on here about my early thoughts on Farke, I freely admit that I had doubts about him in his first season. I certainly never posted anything negative about Vrançic, either on this or on any other site, because he is exactly the type of player that I admire: stylish, classy, and someone who achieves more in a single pass than many players achieve who run frantically around the pitch for 90 minutes.

I didn't look at you specifically, I went for those who I remembered posting around that time.

On 20/07/2022 at 15:03, TeemuVanBasten said:

No thanks, we don't have a vacancy.

Are you advocating we sack Dean Smith? On what grounds?

On the grounds it's been dross to watch!

... Only joking, we can't sack him now, way to close to starting! 

... But I would of been happier with Knutson being appointment last Xmas than Smith 😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see normal service resumed tonight - an 8 - 0 win in the return leg 😂

On 21/07/2022 at 15:56, TeemuVanBasten said:

Sacking Farke was completely pointless. 

I wouldn't say so. I think sacking Webber would definitely have been pointless as the main impact he has is not on the performances on the pitch.

After 10 games where the results on the pitch have not been good enough, the decision is a straight up stick or twist. If you stick, you do so knowing that the previous ten games have been poor, results not good enough, the performances inconsistent. You are hoping that somehow the manager that has overseen that, and lets face it, another season prior in the premier league with a similar result, can turn it around against the odds.

The other part to the stick choice is that you also have to ask how much longer do you give it? Do you accept, after ten games, that you are relegated? Does anyone in any sport truly think that is an acceptable choice to make even if the odds are stacked against you? How much damage does that do to the players, their confidence in the ambitions of the clubs, coaches and those who employ them? (p.s. no silly answers here please). The cost in damage to our sporting reputation would be significant. Players wouldn't want to come here, clubs wouldn't want to loan players here... investors... well, lets not go there.

So twist. Logically, this is a no lose choice. If you get a new manager in who fails to lift the team, then you are in the same boat as before, or perhaps marginally better, but at least you tried to do something. On the other hand, a new manager with fresh ideas might spark the squad into life the way the current incumbent simply isn't managing to do.

If you stick and then twist later on in the season and get fantastic results that are too little too late, you end up regretting not trying it sooner.

There is a lot more weight on twisting, especially seeing as we already had a season in the premier league with Farke - one that a fair number of people felt had a better squad, especially attacking wise. At the very least a more balanced squad.

For me, I can see why the decision was made, I think it was right to try something new. I think Smith and the club were naïve with the covid cancelations and missed a trick. They played on when perhaps they should have pushed for cancelations to get more time to get players back. Instead, playing on with a vastly depleted squad arguably cost us a good few points. Prior to that we had actually looked reinvigorated, we even showed signs of starting to reinvent ourselves with Idah finding form and some players starting to show some value such as Sargent.

Later in the season when we had more of the squad to pick from it could be argued it happened again with PLM looking a better fit going forward for example.

Either way. For me, it was probably the right time for Farke to go. There may have been better managers out there than Smith, but given our situation, how many would come in and also, potentially, be happy to remain as head coach in the Championship? Better than Lampard? For us, yes. Much better fit IMHO. Better than one or two of the other candidates thrown around too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Anyone still up for Kjetil Knudsen?

I’d imagine the more functional question is, is he up for us?

Any pals of Kjetil’s on here?

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

I’d imagine the more functional question is, is he up for us?

Any pals of Kjetil’s on here?

He refused to talk to Brighton so no chance.

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He refused to talk to Brighton so no chance.

Was holding out for the Norwich job. Was always a big fan of Alex Tettey, you see.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Was holding out for the Norwich job. Was always a big fan of Alex Tettey, you see

Has anyone ever  met anyone that doesnt like Alex Tettey? 

2 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

Has Alex Tettey got his coaching badges?

Player manager maybe..

I think his aim was to get them in Norway. Would love to see him return as the assman or something but I think manager its too much of a punt.

5 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I think his aim was to get them in Norway. Would love to see him return as the assman or something but I think manager its too much of a punt.

As the what now?

• Haha 1

A manager on a upward curve 

got to ask him if he is interested worth the price of a phone call 

I know managers are either sacked or failed at other clubs hard to find one without that in their history 

but must be better to find one on the up instead of one who has to rebuild after failing ? 
No1 choice for me ( to ask at least)