9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Off the top of my head, Axel Witsel is the obvious example. Yannick Carrasco, Gervinho and Paulinho all came back to Europe after a couple of seasons in China and performed to a high level as well.

Yep. Loads of heads that have been turned by colossal pay cheques, but there are plenty who after a year or two have realised that infinite dollar is no substitute for high-class competitive football in front of partisan audiences. And that's before you factor in the cultural aspect of leaving Europe for Asia and the knock-on effect that can have on players' wellbeing.

4 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep. Loads of heads that have been turned by colossal pay cheques, but there are plenty who after a year or two have realised that infinite dollar is no substitute for high-class competitive football in front of partisan audiences. And that's before you factor in the cultural aspect of leaving Europe for Asia and the knock-on effect that can have on players' wellbeing.

I think the most surprising one for me was Oscar. He was still quite young, full of promise and with plenty of interest from top sides in Europe. He's been linked to Barcelona this summer, so it's not like that has died off either.

That said, you can hardly blame players knowing that their careers are up in a blink of an eye, if not earlier if they are unfortunate with injuries, from seeking out a big pay day before coming back to a 'better' level of football.

However, last time I saw anything about that league, the money had fallen away from it quite sharply and so was unable to front quite so much money for talent now.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

I think the most surprising one for me was Oscar. He was still quite young, full of promise and with plenty of interest from top sides in Europe. He's been linked to Barcelona this summer, so it's not like that has died off either.

That said, you can hardly blame players knowing that their careers are up in a blink of an eye, if not earlier if they are unfortunate with injuries, from seeking out a big pay day before coming back to a 'better' level of football.

However, last time I saw anything about that league, the money had fallen away from it quite sharply and so was unable to front quite so much money for talent now.

Yeah they changed the rules to stop sides spending ridonkulous amounts on European players

I watched the Australia v Peru World Cup playoff match last month, Mooy was playing but I can’t say I noticed him doing anything exceptionally noteworthy but I guess it was only 1 game. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I watched the Australia v Peru World Cup playoff match last month, Mooy was playing but I can’t say I noticed him doing anything exceptionally noteworthy but I guess it was only 1 game. 

I hadn't commented on here before now, but have to agree with you Mr Angry, in my view he seems a bit "meh" to me, although Parma seems to love him and I think Sorenson is the new Bobby Moore or Didier Deschamps - it's all about opinions!

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I hadn't commented on here before now, but have to agree with you Mr Angry, in my view he seems a bit "meh" to me, although Parma seems to love him and I think Sorenson is the new Bobby Moore or Didier Deschamps - it's all about opinions!

Fair to say he was Huddersfield best player in the season they stayed up, but its also fair to say hes aged and is not quite the player he once was

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Fair to say he was Huddersfield best player in the season they stayed up, but its also fair to say hes aged and is not quite the player he once was

And that we are not in the premier league... 😉

On 13/07/2022 at 10:13, norfolkngood said:

i dont know why we do not do that more often 

i know we are self funded and like to sell on etc 

but  free transfer on slightly higher wages still works out the same as someone we pay say 3 million for on lesser wages 

yes on paper

but in reality you then create an arms race around wages within the club

player A doesnt care you never paid anything to sign player B he just wants the same money when he resigns

if you look at arsenal thats a trap they are stuck in with youth players on £65-100k  at man united its the same Brandon williams is on £69k a week so now all the youth players signing pro terms want that sort of money

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul101 said:

No different in business - I have had a regular arguments with CEO's wanting to pay just that bit more for a "high flyer" until I point out the risk of an "arms race" or arguments over differentials! I've walked out on jobs because I didn't see eye to eye with decisions like that. When football clubs start to face this reality, as well as ignore agent's absurd demands, the sooner the playing field gets just that bit flatter.

7 hours ago, Paul101 said:

yes on paper

player A doesnt care you never paid anything to sign player B he just wants the same money when he resigns

if you look at arsenal thats a trap they are stuck in with youth players on £65-100k  at man united its the same Brandon williams is on £69k a week so now all the youth players signing pro terms want that sort of money

good point !! 

we do have that a little as so i believe 

Pukki 's PL money stayed the same if not went up when the extension was triggered in his contract even though the club went down 

When all the others in the squad  had a relegation clause  ( i think )

i am not saying there is ill feeling and it is his business and Pukki's agent did well but sometimes the best player is worth that extra 

Feel it is not a typical Norwich signing but he might be a very useful stop gap particular as a defensive midfield player.

We have lost Norman, Gilmour and Rupp. Hayden and Sara are injured or coming back from injury. At the moment the only options are Sorensen and McLean if PLM is now considered a no 10.

Mooy obviously has his eyes on the World Cup if we could pick him up for free and on reasonable wages and only a one year contract would be a good signing. I feel someone may offer him a longer deal which might be enough to swing it.

I remember his performance for Huddersfield and he was a class above the midfield players we had that day.  Those players were probably howson, tettey, Wes and Dorrans so the bloke should be more than good enough.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Those players were probably howson, tettey, Wes and Dorrans so the bloke should be more than good enough.

The reason we were outplayed was that Dorrans was not deployed on the left. 😇

• Haha 1

My memory of mooy is that he's a deep lying playmaker not a defensive midfielder? Good touch, control, vision and passing but slow. Probably more aggressive and better at holding the ball than Billy g, but ultimately the same position. Decent player once upon a time but I'd hazard a guess his lack of pace would rule him out now.

If it wasn't for the Webber link I'd have dismissed it instantly. Were never going to add another expensive and older midfielder were we.

• Like 1

Not to mention with Postecoglou as coach at Celtic, he probably knows Mooy inside out from being the former head of the Aussie national side.

On 13/07/2022 at 19:57, Feedthewolf said:

Perhaps some of these players also want to see the world and experience new cultures? I have old school friends who did the TEFL thing in China, a couple settled there any never came back.  

Also, China is much closer to home than Europe for Aaron Mooy isn't it? Will definitely make many of his international fixture easier to get to.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not to mention with Postecoglou as coach at Celtic, he probably knows Mooy inside out from being the former head of the Aussie national side.

Probably one of the main reasons he's keen to go there. Shame, could have done a job here 

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Perhaps some of these players also want to see the world and experience new cultures? I have old school friends who did the TEFL thing in China, a couple settled there any never came back.  

Also, China is much closer to home than Europe for Aaron Mooy isn't it? Will definitely make many of his international fixture easier to get to.

I'm sure there are players who genuinely enjoy the opportunity to experience other cultures (and FWIW, a couple of good friends of mine did exactly the same thing and stayed in Shanghai for six or seven years). But I'd guess that for a professional footballer, there's no substitute for achieving as much as you can on the pitch. At Celtic he's going to be playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, playing in the Champions League and winning trophies.

Plenty of time to be closer to home and/or experience all the cultures he wants once he's retired... especially with all the dollar he'll have raked in during his couple of years in China 🙂

Edited by Feedthewolf
typo