Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Do you agree with Jude Bellingham?

Yep. When Andy Murray won, he was British. When he lost, he was Scottish.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

To a tiny,  racist minority yes.

it's a shame the original comments don't come with that sort of qualification. Less people's noses might be put out of joint. 

• Like 1

The immediate reaction is how we had to "Protect" these players and that was quickly aligned with the colour of their skin in the media - which I didn't get, and I still don't get.... It seemed to come from left-field for me, naivety plays a part no doubt.

For myself, if I think back to that moment.  I was thinking how young & nervous Saka looked as he stepped up, and how more experienced players like Grealish and Sterling weren't even amongst those taken the first 5 pens. 

Can't even get my head around race coming in to it, how can it?! Those racist minority are probably a similar size to the amount of paedos, killers and other ****ed up individuals in this country who I couldn't align or understand either.

I just felt pissed off with Southgate and equally gutted that we came so close - didn't most people?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

Just now, Google Bot said:

The immediate reaction is how we had to "Protect" these players and that was quickly aligned with the colour of their skin in the media - which I didn't get, and I still don't get.... It felt so left-field to here these conversations for myself, that I couldn't understand where it had developed from. 

For myself, if I think back to that moment.  I was thinking how young & nervous Saka looked as he stepped up, and how more experienced players like Grealish and Sterling weren't even amongst those taken the first 5 pens. 

Can't even get my head around race coming in to it, how can it?!  I just felt pissed off with Southgate and equally gutted that we came so close - didn't most people?

Most normal people Boto, yes.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To a tiny,  racist minority yes.

Yeah very much this.

Zidane, Lukaku, Benzema and many others have said similar things previously.

Generally, it’s some immature, anonymous trolls that are simply looking for something to touch a nerve since they don’t have to be held to account without verification. I don’t think they really care about their race/skin colour either way.

I guess the tabloid stories are more a sign of institutionalised racism though the UK ones were very much on their side following last years final with that whole “3 lions” thing

Edited by Tetteys Jig

41 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep. When Andy Murray won, he was British. When he lost, he was Scottish.

Nah he was always a pr1ck (that happened to be Scottish) regardless of how he did to me. He made it clear when he wore the Paraguayan shirt that he was one of those Scots.

Not really. A few tweets from some nutjobs (the majority of whom weren’t even English) doesn’t represent a whole nation, as indeed he acknowledges if you read the full interview.

There will always be a few racists but England fans generally are much better than a lot of other European fans on that front. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not really. A few tweets from some nutjobs (the majority of whom weren’t even English) doesn’t represent a whole nation, as indeed he acknowledges if you read the full interview.

There will always be a few racists but England fans generally are much better than a lot of other European fans on that front. 

Yes I think the shaping of the quote is unhelpful. If he truly feels ‘the nation’ acted / thought this way then he has a warped paranoid view of the world he lives in. As you say he acknowledges it’s a minority of scrupulous keyboard warriors not a nation later on.

Edited by hertfordyellow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd go with 'small' rather than tiny I'm afraid.

I am sceptical that it is that small....... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

16250.jpeg

A depressing thought, 1 in 5 black people directly experienced racism, although I suppose that could have been done by quite a small proportion of the rest of the population 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd go with 'small' rather than tiny I'm afraid.

I’ll have to find the source. But I remember reading that the number of racist tweets sent to players from non bot Twitter accounts were 200-300. This doesn’t take into account other platforms. That said, some perspective of the scale we are talking about here if accurate.

3 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

A depressing thought, 1 in 5 black people directly experienced racism, although I suppose that could have been done by quite a small proportion of the rest of the population 

That Ireland figure is an eye opener.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

It is rather sad, but least we are not as bad as Germany on the other hand.. And the less said about our Irish neighbers the better

• Like 1

Im not really surprised at that chart. There’s this opinion that Europe is some enlightened place.

It really, really isn’t.

• Like 1

I think it’s the nuance of conversation and the context of which words are said, is the measure of what makes the difference between if it is racist or not. 

I think both before the game and after if you’d asked those players to identify their ethnic background all would describe themselves as black. So being called black when you identify as black isn’t racist until context is applied. 

it’s a very delicate subject to bridge the context of words from the opposite side of the fence. I do think certain words are inherently racist but at the same time those words are glorified by gangsters, rappers and want to be cool kids. They think it’s acceptable to use some of those words in songs or greetings, putting it out to the masses. Then the world wonders why a middle class 12 year old who’s listened to a few rap songs thinks it’s acceptable to say to someone. That’s all a bit deep for a light hearted football forum 

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I always found Jude a bit obscure

Quite hardy as well.

44 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I’ll have to find the source. But I remember reading that the number of racist tweets sent to players from non bot Twitter accounts were 200-300. This doesn’t take into account other platforms. That said, some perspective of the scale we are talking about here if accurate.

If I remember right there was an article saying that around 70 to 80 percent of the abuse Englands black players got online after the euros loss to italy came from outside the UK/foreign countries

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Although the chart does show a trend in the level of racism in certain countries is more than others, it also relies on the notion that the human race are a very honest bunch. 

Some won't like this 🤪.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I am sceptical that it is that small....... 

I reckon its about 1 in every 50 people.

Which tally's with the peak BNP vote of 1.9% nationally in 2010.

Those, for me, are the people in our society who would abuse England players for being black and not really English after missing a penalty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

The immediate reaction is how we had to "Protect" these players and that was quickly aligned with the colour of their skin in the media - which I didn't get, and I still don't get.... It seemed to come from left-field for me, naivety plays a part no doubt.

Can't even get my head around race coming in to it, how can it?! Those racist minority are probably a similar size to the amount of paedos, killers and other ****ed up individuals in this country who I couldn't align or understand either.

I just felt pissed off with Southgate and equally gutted that we came so close - didn't most people?

Couldn’t have put it better myself other than to say it was a year ago and time to move on from it now 

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

True, Germany is a surprise too

They've got form on the racism front though haven't they 😉