Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Do you agree with Jude Bellingham?

Not that surprised with Germany, but I suspect you'd see a fairly hefty split between the old West Germany and the old East. My old home town, Guben, definitely had quite the old neo-N-a-z-i problem (Google the name Farid Guendoul, that was the nadir of the whole affair) but oddly, there were never as many foreign people in that neck of the woods.

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

but oddly, there were never as many foreign people in that neck of the woods.

Nowt odd about that given my personal experience.  

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

Ireland is a proper sh!thole isn't it?

Would not go that far but it is rather interesting that given the Irish people's history of being discriminated against (no blacks, no dogs, no Irish anyone?) that they would be one of the most racist countries in Europe

I wasn’t annoyed at the players at all. I was furious with Southgate who held back 3 subs who could have turned the game around in normal time when it was clear we were under the cosh only to bring them on minutes before pens, giving them no time to get comfortable, or a feel for the game before they stepped up to take the most pressurised penalty kick of their career.

That decision making cost us the cup.

I thought I read somewhere that the majority of the racist comments (or a vast amount) came from outside the UK. But I can't remember where I read it.

6 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

I thought I read somewhere that the majority of the racist comments (or a vast amount) came from outside the UK. But I can't remember where I read it.

Yes it was confirmed by Twitter anyway. I read the same information at the time.

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would not go that far but it is rather interesting that given the Irish people's history of being discriminated against (no blacks, no dogs, no Irish anyone?) that they would be one of the most racist countries in Europe

We had an Irish lad who faced disciplinary after apparently putting his arm around a black guy (who was new), telling him that you can't get any blacker than an Irishman, and he'll be "alright".

First complaint came from one of the girls in that area, which lead to an investigation.  The guy receiving the treatment initially said there wasn't an issue and he was fine, after more complaints he later said he felt singled out and that people were calling him "Kanye" and asking for high fives as they walked through.

Company ended up suspending the Irish lad as he was setting the tone with his 'banter', eventually dismissed.  Supervisor walked out saying that they weren't going to be labelled a racist, not sure what that was about - but they made sure everyone knew before they left.

I was a supervisor at the far end so didn't see it occur, but genuinely thought his name was Kanye and we'd refer to him as so when he would bring items from their dept.

Was a very bizarre period, as supervisor we were told to document any occurrences of inappropriate actions or nicknames and liaise with HR, in turn memo's put out to staff to report to supervisors.  But there was absolutely no guidance on where the line was drawn and it ended up a complete mess.  "She looks at me funny when I come back from break" etc.

God, I do not miss that job!

Can't even remember the point I was going to make now, but it's something along the lines of Irish banter and how maybe the percentage on that graph is so high based on culture more than genuine malice.  But I don't really know, as to label them as such is quite discriminatory in itself. 🙂

One thing to note is that there were 6,000 people surveyed across all 12 countries from that graph, the sample used is more representable than the country listed perhaps?

On 31/05/2022 at 19:46, Newtopia said:

True, Germany is a surprise too

Not for me it isn’t - particularly in east Germany 

5 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Not for me it isn’t - particularly in east Germany 

Exactly, eastern Germany has had a real problem for years. Rostock saw a particularly nasty attack on a building housing asylum seekers, I lived in Guben, where Farid Guendoul met a rather nasty demise (and the memorial stone was desecrated many times over), and several other places there had quite the reputation indeed.