Worthy Nigelton

Worst Individual Performance

Ginger Pele rugby tackle sending off was at the time I thought a new low, how wrong I was at the timeĀ 

RvW - against Crystal Palace on New Years Day 2014 .......like a rabbit in the headlights

Edited by Foxy2600
spelling

There was a game against Stoke where Grant played Doherty as a DM, Andy Hughes on the left wing and Dion Dublin on his own up front. We lost 5-0 and Doherty in particular looked like he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Anyone involved in the Colchester debacle. Was a great atmosphere before kick off . Then 5 nil down after 20 minutes . And we think we are bad now!

Seb Bassong had some howlers, but worst performance in a NCFC shirt has to be Theodropthecross.Ā 
That Colchester game also probably the worst team performance on record.

Makes me laugh how many people are wetting themselves now screaming for Delia to leave but they choose to forget this period of recent history.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

There was a game against Stoke where Grant played Doherty as a DM, Andy Hughes on the left wing and Dion Dublin on his own up front. We lost 5-0 and Doherty in particular looked like he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Oh jesus I was there for that one, rare sighting ofĀ Bobby Eagle too.

Reminds me that as bad as things are now, they've been much much worse.

Unpopular opinion I know but I think Theoklitos got an unfair wrap after that Colchester game.

Watching the highlights I'd say he was left massively exposed by some absolutely tripe defending.

Ā 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Will people give up on this!!! Buendia had a "ghost"pass while here,and Zimmerman a few weeks back passed to a ballboy. RVW was signed and asked to play in a position totally alien to him.Would have been great in Farkes team.

It wasn't the pass in isolation, it just epitomised his situation. I'll never forget the synchronised groan, a perfect harmony.

Ā 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It wasn't the pass in isolation, it just epitomised his situation.Ā  The entire away end at Craven CottageĀ groaning together in perfect harmony, just sort of summed up the fans feelings towards the tail end of a miserable campaign. Mid-April, Van Wolfswinkel still searching for a small glimmer of redemption, couldn't even get the basics right.Ā 

As for his position, as far as I'm aware he was signed as a striker and played as a striker.

Ā 

If only it was simple. There's lots of different types of strikers though. Strikers who can play up top on their own, ones who work better in a pair, one who plays on the shoulder, ones who like to run channels, ones who are good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play

39 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Strikers who can play up top on their own, ones who work better in a pair

I'd be interested in hearing which one of these you think Van Wolfswinkel is.Ā 

Because 2 striker systems are incredibly rare throughout Europe... and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been playing in a 4-4-2 for Lisbon.

He wasn't physically equipped for this league, he couldn't handle the physicality and wasn't quick enough to get away with his complete lack of upper body strength.Ā 

The Premier League is for serious athletes.

Ā 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Any of the appearances by Jim Blair or Davie Robb. And a performance by Martin Chivers at Leicester.Ā 

Perhaps worst of all was Phil Lythgoe at Wolves (I think). He was taken off after about 25 minutes because he was 'unwell'Ā 

There was a procession of loan players under Rodent , most of whom I canā€™t remember their names . A few had one good game , then turned to utter tripe .Ā 
Ā 

I also recall Chris Llewelyn being asked to play left back at home . He kept showing the right winger onto his right foot who skinned him time after timeĀ . He had an absolute shocker which to be fair wasnā€™t entirely his fault as he wasnā€™t a left backĀ . If anyone can remember the game ?Ā 

Not sure it's quite the worst, but Pape Diop. I can only remember one game where he sat at the qpr supporters lolĀ 

Stephen Whittaker in midfield v Brentford gives me nightmares to this day.

Also an honourable mention toĀ the streaker in 1990 or 91 I think.. didn't even bother to take off all her clothesĀ 

8 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

The 'Doc' in almost every game at a half decent level (for which we bought him)

The crowning glory was the FA cup game against Charlton (Roeders last game I believe?). He received the ball about mid way in our half and was shaping to pass to our left back at the time. He then smacked the ball harder than I've ever seen a pass needed to be hit, about 20 yards short of where the LB was, straight into the hoardings. It perfectly encapsulated the evening and complete inept ability of his to do anything worthwhile on a football pitch. Another moment worth an honorable mention - in League 1 against Wycombe, he had a ball played to his feet (perfectly paced) managed to let it crawl under his foot and then started running around in circles like a headless chicken wondering where the ball had gone. Awful player. Entertaining, but awful.

I've said it before. Gary Doherty mugged a career out of the sport. How, I do not know!Ā 

5 hours ago, king canary said:

This one came to my mind. I thought it was Worthy though but I just Googled it and it was a few weeks after he was sacked.

49 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

There was a procession of loan players under Rodent , most of whom I canā€™t remember their names . A few had one good game , then turned to utter tripe .Ā 
Ā 

I also recall Chris Llewelyn being asked to play left back at home . He kept showing the right winger onto his right foot who skinned him time after timeĀ . He had an absolute shocker which to be fair wasnā€™t entirely his fault as he wasnā€™t a left backĀ . If anyone can remember the game ?Ā 

Wow yes - Alan Gow, Jonathan Grounds, David Mooney

What a season that was šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Wow yes - Alan Gow, Jonathan Grounds, David Mooney

What a season that was šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

Yeah Roader bought in a ton of loans and then Gunn added a bunch more- Chris Killen anyone?

Just now, king canary said:

Yeah Roader bought in a ton of loans and then Gunn added a bunch more- Chris Killen anyone?

Ah yes, how could I forget Killen. Actually how could you remind me about Killen!

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

Ah yes, how could I forget Killen. Actually how could you remind me about Killen!

Without meaning to reopen old wounds, here is the full list of signings from that season. One is very much not like the others...

image.thumb.png.adc19c53845bbbb5d044edfdde5f86af.png

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Without meaning to reopen old wounds, here is the full list of signings from that season. One is very much not like the others...

Wow, what a list. Obviously Wes a different story, but other than that Lita and Clingan the only ones I have any positive recollection of.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be fair, in addition to the obvious, Clingan was excellent that season and Lita did well too. Stefanovic looked solid as well until he got injured.

The others though šŸ˜³ Dear god...

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

2 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Wow, what a list. Obviously Wes a different story, but other than that Lita and Clingan the only ones I have any positive recollection of.

I remember Clingan getting dog's abuse when we played Coventry during Lambert's promotion season, "It could have been you, etc".

• Like 1

Juan Velasco away at Coventry in 2008. Got absolutely decimated by Jay Tabb, hauled offĀ for Alex Pearce to play out of position after just 20 minutes.

In a game we lost and had 2 players sent off later on, his performance stands out as the worst part of it. Truly shocking professional appearance.

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I remember Clingan getting dog's abuse when we played Coventry during Lambert's promotion season, "It could have been you, etc".

That was a bit harsh, in my opinion. He was excellent in our relegation season, probably the only one who was, and deserved a move to a Championship club.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That was a bit harsh, in my opinion. He was excellent in our relegation season, probably the only one who was, and deserved a move to a Championship club.

He took it in good spirits, I remember seeing one of his team-mates taking the mickey of him when another chorus of it rang round and he had a smile on his face.

I liked him, he was probably the only player to come out of that season with any credit, even Hoolahan wasn't great, but he chose to jump ship right on the cusp of a helluva rollercoaster. Grass isn't always greener and all that.