Ken Hairy

Danny Murphy "I don't know their identity"

Spot on, certainly since Smith came in I've said I don't know what we are in terms of style. 

Maybe a summer of ins and outs can rectify that though. 

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Our identity left with Farke.

Our identity left with Emi/Skipp. No way we could play the same way without proper replacements and everything we spent years working towards was the baby chucked out with the bath water. 

• Like 6

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

Since when did anyone give a damn about what Danny Murphy thought?

You don't have to give a damn, either way he was right which is a poor enditement of our football club right now 

11 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Our identity left with Emi/Skipp. No way we could play the same way without proper replacements and everything we spent years working towards was the baby chucked out with the bath water. 

Agreed but there was always hope we would find a way with Farke. We felt connected. He'd given us so many great times to identify with. They were great times but will be great memories now.

I felt no connection at all with Dean Smith. Right now it seems sacking Farke was so pointless.

But what's done is done. Hopefully we'll have a new identity next season as Smith assembles his own team.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Sadly, I think Farke suffered an identity crisis at the start of the season, playing a 4-3-3 that left Pukki totally isolated up front.

Edited by Pyro Pete

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's not true. Farke was a willing participant in abandoning the identity to pursue a brand of football they all felt would be better suited to getting survival. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Agreed but there was always hope we would find a way with Farke. We felt connected. He'd given us so many great times to identify with. They were great times but will be great memories now.

I felt no connection at all with Dean Smith. Right now it seems sacking Farke was so pointless.

But what's done is done. Hopefully we'll have a new identity next season as Smith assembles his own team.

That’s all we can do. Hope.

I’ll add that Cantwell absolutely phoning in his performances hasn’t exactly helped Farke, Smith or anybody else. With Emi leaving it was surely expected he’d contribute much, much more. You can add Covid, us not getting games postponed when struggling, injuries and a rock hard start to the list of mitigating factors but…

We haven’t looked good enough really at any point. Since Smith came in we’ve generally been a bit better at defending our box but our midfield options are desperate (at this level). We don’t have the players to take possession in tight areas and so invite pressure, that leads to mistakes that lead to goals. I’ve said before, so many ‘beige’ options in the middle that would probably all be ok alongside a ‘Skipp type’ but none able to play it and no combination able to cope without that type of player.

If I was going to look for and hold up one beacon of positivity, every time we played Tettey in the Prem plenty said he wasn’t up to it. Every time he got recalled to the side in the Championship, he looked a class above. I’ve no idea who we’ll retain, none of the loans presumably and I suspect we’ll be offloading TC if we can and Aarons will likely be looking to engineer a move. However, as bad as this seems, there is surely every chance we’ll be pushing hard again next season? Unless Pukki goes, of course…😬

Edited by Duncan Edwards
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That's not true. Farke was a willing participant in abandoning the identity to pursue a brand of football they all felt would be better suited to getting survival. 

Tbf, you posted earlier that Farke only wanted three players including direct replacements for Emi/Skipp which might suggest that he would have been more than happy to continue with his ‘brand’ but had his hand forced by the actual recruitment?

*Disclaimer: I haven’t read the article! 👍

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If we replaced Farke for someone to continue with brand of football 'he was a willing participant in' then that reasoning makes no sense.

Identity is more than brand of football. Our identity under Farke included the connection between the academy and the first and the first team with the fans. I don't feel it now. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If we replaced Farke for someone to continue with brand of football 'he was a willing participant in' then that reasoning makes no sense.

Identity is more than brand of football. Our identity under Farke included the connection between the academy and the first and the first team with the fans. I don't feel it now. 

That is your issue though. Just because you don't feel a connection or identity doesn't mean that the club's identity "left with Farke". It means you aren't as invested in the club as before. 

I'm sick of hearing that Smith hasn't signed a player and the squad is crap - he took the job knowing the situation. He is tactically *woeful* and needs to go. Our fans are just such wet lettuces, clapping them off after that. 

• Like 2

We are absolutely soulless now, and it just makes me even more angry about the way Daniel was treated by the club when clearly the real problems didn't lie with him. I'm just sad about it, and that's such a shame. No disrespect to Smith as he seems a nice guy, but he's nowhere close to replacing that special bond we had with Farke

Edited by AJ

35 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Tbf, you posted earlier that Farke only wanted three players including direct replacements for Emi/Skipp which might suggest that he would have been more than happy to continue with his ‘brand’ but had his hand forced by the actual recruitment?

*Disclaimer: I haven’t read the article! 👍

Maybe. But Farke still dictates the team. The tactics. The style of play. Those were all very much different between the Champ and Prem. 

16 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That is your issue though. Just because you don't feel a connection or identity doesn't mean that the club's identity "left with Farke". It means you aren't as invested in the club as before. 

I don't feel the connection and don't see it. I doubt it means I'm not as invested as before. After all I have remained invested through many other changes in identity. How do you see our identity and how do you retain connection and feel invested?

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Maybe. But Farke still dictates the team. The tactics. The style of play. Those were all very much different between the Champ and Prem. 

Sure. But you can appreciate that trying to play the same way without the weapons to make it work would be utterly daft? I guess it depends on what input DF had on the incoming bodies; if he was “Brilliant, I like this, we’ll go direct” then he is equally culpable. If he was clear that he wanted direct replacements for our two exiting ‘stars’ and was given what we have now, I imagine he was exasperated! 
Of course, it’s done now and he was part of it, but if we failed him - as appears likely - in the window then I have some sympathy. I’m sure others might suggest that his inability to get results from a different approach made him a one dimensional coach that had hit his ceiling. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

To be fair to Deano he's tried everything to give us a chance of survival which has meant experimentation, adaptation and with those things a loss of a narrow but recognisable style of playing.

Let him oust the faces he doesn't want and bring in his choices and I'm sure you'll see a team next season that is both easy on the eye but also robust ... look at Brentford and Villa under his watch.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

To be fair to Deano he's tried everything to give us a chance of survival which has meant experimentation, adaptation and with those things a loss of a narrow but recognisable style of playing.

Let him oust the faces he doesn't want and bring in his choices and I'm sure you'll see a team next season that is both easy on the eye but also robust ... look at Brentford and Villa under his watch.

100% this

Some seem to think that what we've been playing since Smith has come in is 'his style'. Rubbish. It's an astute, PL manager trying to get the best out of a pretty crap squad.

It also shows those that think we'll continue to play this way under Smith haven't done their homework on the way he managed Brentford and Villa in the championship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

I'm sick of hearing that Smith hasn't signed a player and the squad is crap - he took the job knowing the situation. He is tactically *woeful* and needs to go. Our fans are just such wet lettuces, clapping them off after that. 

He started to work with two strikers and then we lost one in February. There was no replacement for him and Deans lack of backing certainly has contributed to that! 

What I don’t get is that we’ve all been saying we need a little more physical and better defensive holding midfielder and yet we had one who when played always did a calm and good job in various positions yet wasn’t given the chance to really show his worth after coming back from injury! Sorensen!

Identity is a key factor in why Farke was rightly sacked and partly why I don’t believe Smith fits our club, Robins has worked wonders on a budget and has Coventry playing decent football! On a coaching level and higher it would be great to see a real reset, Webbers not fully committed and it shows throughout this set up, coach doesn’t look fully locked into our club either, which has certainly not helped by the players probably not consistent in higher performances needed in a first season at this level!

6 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

This is a mute point to me, I can’t see that many changes being made! We probably need to sell a few higher earners before we can start to assemble a Smith team, who is seriously going to want our worse performing players? I don’t expect to see more than a couple changes and a couple loan players, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the core of the team start next August, so this really is Smiths team and squad! You said that phrase and I fully agree connected to Smith, he’s a lovely guy and I want to say he’s connected but like Webber now I don’t feel it and I wouldn’t be unhappy to see both out the door!

Murphy is probably the worst pundit going I honestly thinks he makes it up as he goes along. He mentions he is not sure what the philosophy is but at the same sometimes we are pragmatic. Danny look that word up.

Football philosophy stuff is great but like Leeds have found out continuously trying a style the opposition is much better at or the opposition know exactly how to counter is madness.

• Like 1

We haven’t had any identity since Webber sold Emi to a rival and allowed a brilliant cdm to leave without putting in place adequate replacements within the ridiculous wage structure that NCFC have as an EPL team.

Losing Farke was like losing part of the soul of the current reincarnation of the club. There was a vision, style and philosophy which many had bought into and whilst not delivering at the highest level I still felt part of and think I understood. I would have preferred to stick with it and improve our model rather than seemingly ripping it up and replacing it with…..well I don’t know what. The model we had was the right one imo for a club run and financed like ours, I’m not sure what we are about now. 

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

You may well be onto something there but for a club that develops it’s own, having a loan player holding onto our identity suggests something had already gone wrong!     It could be argued Farke created the identity but it all revolved around Buendia!    

Edited by ged in the onion bag