Ken Hairy

Danny Murphy "I don't know their identity"

8 hours ago,  Duncan Edwards said: 

Our identity left with Emi/Skipp. No way we could play the same way without proper replacements and everything we spent years working towards was the baby chucked out with the bath water. 

"You may well be onto something there but for a club that develops it’s own, having a loan player holding onto our identity suggests something had already gone wrong!     It could be argued Farke created the identity but it all revolved around Buendia!"

Dont they both go hand in hand, we had a style of play which showcased and made best use of those great players,  to have success with any philosophy and style you need to have the players that can deliver it. Of course moving into the Prem with a squad weaker than the one we had in the Championship was always going to be a bit of a challenge. 

What gets me is that we were on our way to getting back to Farkeball as it was realised the 433 plan was not working.  Farke even said it in the run up to the Brentford game in talking about returning to "our dna". 

We had three stages under Farke this season. 

1) To try and play 433 and attack more.

2) When that failed, it was a siege mentality for a few games to stop the rot.

3) To return to a style of football he and the players were more familiar with - which brought us our first win - and the confidence to kick on. 

In that seige mentality period, people always quote the Chelsea game, but we were still picking up points in that period. 

So overall, the identity may have gone missing under Farke but only temporarily - it was sacking him was the real change and Smith hasn't been able to put his stamp on the team, mainly because the players weren't good enough. 

If we had stuck with Farke, who knows what would have happened, but at least there would still have been an identity. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Losing Farke was like losing part of the soul of the current reincarnation of the club. There was a vision, style and philosophy which many had bought into and whilst not delivering at the highest level I still felt part of and think I understood. I would have preferred to stick with it and improve our model rather than seemingly ripping it up and replacing it with…..well I don’t know what. The model we had was the right one imo for a club run and financed like ours, I’m not sure what we are about now. 

Indeed, it was all thrown away for no good reason imo. 

I was exremely disappointed  when we reverted to the 'sack 'em' model that seems to be the norm amongst the vast majority of clubs. I thought it was something we had outgrown but sadly I was wrong. We had something that made us unique but now we are just like everyone else. It felt like somebody had taken a sledgehammer to everything that we had painstakingly built.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Since when did anyone give a damn about what Danny Murphy thought?

One of the things I absolutely love about Norwich fans is their ability to slag off pundits who make completely accurate comments about the club.

Lawrenson predicts we get beaten, people get all uppity about it, but more often than not, he's right. 

Danny Murphy makes a perfectly valid comment - bury your head in the sand all you want but he's right.

• Like 1

If Danny Murphy had said NCFC are a sleeping giant and will more than likely be back in the Premier League in 12 months.....I'd guffaw so hard my ribs would break surface.....and as a result, my consumed full English brekky would be all over the floor.....

I've watched MoTD again this morning and it's difficult to disagree with what Murphy was saying....Especially when the stats were displayed in the background.....

I'm as disappointed as the majority are that we've been relegated without so much as a whimper....but not surprised....  

• Like 1

Our prospects for next season are dependent on:

a) Dean Smith having a defined plan for how he wants us to play,

b) Having recruitment in and out that gives him the players to effectively implement his plan.

I am confident that a) will happen but have serious doubts that b) will.

currently I’m predicting upper mid-table for next season.

8 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Let him oust the faces he doesn't want

Shouldn’t that be faeces ? 😉

8 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Our prospects for next season are dependent on:

a) Dean Smith having a defined plan for how he wants us to play,

b) Having recruitment in and out that gives him the players to effectively implement his plan.

I am confident that a) will happen but have serious doubts that b) will.

currently I’m predicting upper mid-table for next season.

And getting the right corporate governance structure in place to ensure ego's don't override a sound decision making process.

Can't stand all this Farke nostalgia.

We had a VERY disappointing first season with Farke (I would bet many of the same posters wanted him gone then) and then it came good (promotion), bad to appalling (relegation again whatever the excuses), good (promotion) and then bad again.

I will always respect Farke but its Smith's turn now to take us back and be competitive next time around. 

Yes Farke had Emi, Skipp (and a half decent Cantwell originally) and Smith doesn't but next season is new start again with new gems to develop.

10 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That's not true. Farke was a willing participant in abandoning the identity to pursue a brand of football they all felt would be better suited to getting survival. 

Spot on mate! Everyone was moaning about how long we took to get the ball up to the attacking areas so Farke went longer...That didn't please some fans! We defended deeper and tried to play on the break...That didn't please some fans! Farke tried to expand on different ways to play...That didn't please some fans. Then because of the negativity he got the sack...and that pleased a lot of fans...and now they realise what they had. It was always going to be a struggle but we should have kept that togetherness team and fans. The identity during that time wasn't far away...it was simmering but again lack of patience and a understanding from some fans that not everything Farke and Webber did would turn to gold everytime. It was and is a learning curve and that was built into our identity. But as frustrating as it is and was Farke would have got us there with funds...and that's the issue.

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Our identity left with Farke.

i Agree Nutty and i thought that we had identified ourselves to play the Farke way and with a DOF the whole point was that if we lost Farke we would replace with a like minded coach not to disrupt the club 

not rip up the whole hymn sheet and start all over 

1 hour ago, BarclayWazza said:

One of the things I absolutely love about Norwich fans is their ability to slag off pundits who make completely accurate comments about the club.

Lawrenson predicts we get beaten, people get all uppity about it, but more often than not, he's right. 

Danny Murphy makes a perfectly valid comment - bury your head in the sand all you want but he's right.

Pundit is just another word for former pro who craves relevance by running thier opinion about.

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Pundit is just another word for former pro who makes money by running thier opinion about.

Fixed that for you

11 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Tbf, you posted earlier that Farke only wanted three players including direct replacements for Emi/Skipp which might suggest that he would have been more than happy to continue with his ‘brand’ but had his hand forced by the actual recruitment?

*Disclaimer: I haven’t read the article! 👍

I think that is near the reality. 

Parma

12 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Spot on, certainly since Smith came in I've said I don't know what we are in terms of style. 

Maybe a summer of ins and outs can rectify that though. 

To be fair, it was Farke who abandoned Farkeball before he was sacked.