Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

Time for Stuart 90% Webber to go?

Webber out  

107 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Time to ask Stuart 90% Webber to go?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/04/22 at 23:00

I think that we need to change a lot of things. Obviously Delia won’t go, but Stuart Webber should be told to. (He can 100% concentrate on his climb and son)

This is woeful.

Edited by yellow_belly

Was there anything about the Club this season that was supportable? Effort, commitment, skill, entertainment? All non existent. They can all get out, root and branch cull required. Dean Smith a complete waste, Stuart Webber has declared his lack of interest and the owners just along for the ride with the squad simply salary grabbing and marking time. Truly not a Club deserving of our hard earned money. Unforgivable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Does that constitute a foot or a hand?  

Well definitely not his head given the size of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Well definitely not his head given the size of it.

Well it isn’t his ****. We have been left with a huge one in charge.

If there had been some progress this season then I would carry on supporting him. Yes the the clubs plan was a long term affair but it feels as if we have hit the buffers and now need some fresh faces and ideas to carry it on to the next level. Basically he's taken us as far as he can and now a new DOF is necessary and a new start for next season. (Maybe Farke as DOF?)

• Like 1

I think so. 

I've always defended him and his record, which is absolutely excellent when you consider where we were when he took over and how he has developed the training ground and youth setup, but I think he's probably reached the end of his cycle. I said last month when the news came out about the five mountain climbs that the timing was very poor; announcing it when things were going badly on the pitch probably wasn't the wisest move. The recent interview makes it sound like his heart isn't in it any more and he's going to be missing for large chunks of the next 12 months anyway.

He has done a brilliant job but I think his tenure has run its course.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 6

Im not sure Webber is to blame. The only thing I will hold him responsible for is the decision to sack Farke.

Otherwise, you look at the club he came to and ask how he could have done a better job with the resources he has? Same with Farke.

No manager, or sporting director can turn water into wine. Not sustainably.

We're fighting billionaires with empty pockets.

Webber has done all he can in terms of improving the clubs infrastructure and working within the constrictions of his job remit.

His signings in this window were poor, but a club like Norwich City does not have the pulling power to attract much better. We only really offer Premiership football - and that is likely to only be a single season, during which we will be chasing shadows and getting done over.

Norwich is a beautiful part of the country, but not a particularly exciting place for young men to want to be. We dont have the money for the fees or the wages.

The only players a club like Norwich can acquire are the players that other clubs allow us to have - ie the ones they dont fancy for whatever reason.

According to transfermarkt theare are 33 players sold by a championship club for £15m or more. So even top championship players are out of our price-range. And that list doesnt even include players like Buendia who technically was a Prem-Prem transfer.

Brexit has also made it impossible to continue to sign players like Vrancic, Stiepermann, Buendia etc because they wouldnt get work permits.

Without money, purchasing players who are good enough, that we have no competiton for (because who would choose us for the reasons outlined above?) is pretty much impossible.

I think the only route we have is youth. And on that front Webber has improved our facilities.

Norwich, in this current era of billionaires, will never be able to compete with owners who are barely even millionaires.

Never mind self-sustaining, the idea of competing in the Premiership, like this, is unsustainable. Its a fantasy, pure and simple. Yoyo will forever be our ceiling. 

Premiership seasons like this are miserable to endure. I think with knowing what awaits us and the futility of it, any promotions down the line will soon seem rather existential.

Personally, if the club is destined to have this ownership model for the next 20 years then Id prefer them to be played in the championship - which they almost certainly will be.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Otherwise, you look at the club he came to and ask how he could have done a better job with the resources he has? Same with Farke.

He could have done much better. That's unquestionable. Yes, we're looking at it with hindsight, but the money we spent could have absolutely been spent considerably better.

It would have been harder to spend it worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

He could have done much better. That's unquestionable. Yes, we're looking at it with hindsight, but the money we spent could have absolutely been spent considerably better.

It would have been harder to spend it worse.

OK, challenge extended. Who could he have signed instead? Who would have been available, willing to come, who'd have been better, who we could have afforded the fee for and the wages for within our existing structure, that other clubs with significantly more to offer wouldnt also want.

It's a conundrum. Once they're good enough they generate interest elsewhere, and once we have a rival we're screwed. Noone good enough is going to choose us over any of our competitors.

We need a player who is good enough (and good enough to get a work permit), that we can afford the fee for, and to pay - whom noone else wants. It's impossible.

Take players like Rashica and Sargent. Available because of relegation. Also because of that, and Covid, in our price range. If they were good enough, they'd have been snapped up by any of our rivals. But there were doubts, other teams allowed us to have them, like RvW before them. And they're probably glad they passed. Same with Kabak. Whilst Rashica has shown a few signs that there is a decent player, thats 2 seasons in top divisions now where he hasnt been pulling up any trees. Im not sure he's done anything this season to suggest we're going to be innundated with offers for him from Premier League clubs.

We'll be forever shopping in the bargain basement, and ultimately you get what you pay for.

The players we develop who look like having the quality to be consistent Premier League players for years to come we sell (Godfrey), or get frustrated and want to leave (Buendia), meaning the core we are left with are the average players nobody wants.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Does that constitute a foot or a hand?  

Both feet out of the door with his hands holding a picture of his future Magnum Opus (cos' it certainly aint' this club) whilst standing around the centre circle, the guys like Mr Fantastic or Inspector gadget or or a massive...

I voted no because I don’t want Adams although I think Webber has reached the end of his useful time here

If Webber walked now Adams would definitely just be promoted

Id like us to be looking properly at an experienced Sporting Director from outside the club with new ideas and a fresh eye

• Like 2

If he's not prepared to commit 100% then he can go, it's as simple as that.

Absolute shambles of a season and if Farke is sacked then the Dof should be likewise.

#headingbackwards

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

OK, challenge extended. Who could he have signed instead? Who would have been available, willing to come, who would have been better, who we could have afforded the fee for and the wages for within our existing structure, that other clubs with significantly more to offer wouldnt also want.

It's a conundrum. Once they're good enough they generate interest elsewhere, and once we have a rival we're screwed. Noone good enough is going to choose us over any of our competitors.

We need a player who is good enough (and good enough to get a work permit), that we can afford the fee for, and to pay - whom noone else wants. It's impossible.

We could have bought in Hamer from Coventry who would undoubtedly have improved our midfield (my Sky Blue supporting cousin actually said he'd be a great signing for us in August). Brereton Diaz would have been obtainable when we bought Sargent. We could have saved the Tzolis cash and used it to make better offers for Billing or Ajer. Or outbid Brentford for Yoane Wissa who cost about the same as Tzolis but has done brilliantly this season.

And you'd be mad if you don't think we could have done more with our loan slots.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

We could have bought in Hamer from Coventry who would undoubtedly have improved our midfield (my Sky Blue supporting cousin actually said he'd be a great signing for us in August). Brereton Diaz would have been obtainable when we bought Sargent. We could have saved the Tzolis cash and used it to make better offers for Billing or Ajer. Or outbid Brentford for Yoane Wissa who cost about the same as Tzolis but has done brilliantly this season.

And you'd be mad if you don't think we could have done more with our loan slots.

I was thinking about Ajer as the prime example of someone we lost out on. Essentially we got into a bidding war with Brentford who did exactly what I said in the previous post - they were prepared to go further than us. That either comes down to Webber's individual judgement, or he simply wasnt allowed to go any higher. The same may be the case with Billing. Club model reins in our ambition such that we wont pay higher than what we offered. I suspect in both cases Webber was constrained by the model - in both cases I suspect we made our self-imposed top offer, and it wasnt enough.

Wissa may well have been the case of, enter a bidding war against Brentford, simply find ourselves outmuscled again. The point Im trying to make is that coming up against clubs with more ambiton and better resources, there is no outbidding them. They do what it takes to get their key targets, and we go after the scraps.

14 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I was thinking about Ajer as the prime example of someone we lost out on. Essentially we got into a bidding war with Brentford who did exactly what I said in the previous post - they were prepared to go further than us. That either comes down to Webber's individual judgement, or he simply wasnt allowed to go any higher. The same may be the case with Billing. Club model reins in our ambition such that we wont pay higher than what we offered. I suspect in both cases Webber was constrained by the model - in both cases I suspect we made our self-imposed top offer, and it wasnt enough.

Wissa may well have been the case of, enter a bidding war against Brentford, simply find ourselves outmuscled again. The point Im trying to make is that coming up against clubs with more ambiton and better resources, there is no outbidding them. They do what it takes to get their key targets, and we go after the scraps.

But we couldn't outbid them because we'd wasted so much on Sargent and Tzolis.

Edited by canarydan23

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

But we couldn't outbid them because we'd wasted so much on Sargent and Tzolis.

Possibly, but I imagine we were the only club in for either Sargent or Tzolis and the asking price made the deal straightforward (ie these players were attainable), whereas there were other clubs in for our other targets, and we werent prepared to do what it took to acquire those specific players. To outmuscle other clubs for specific players you often have to overpay, and I dont think we'll ever be willing to do that.

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yes and maybe he can take DS and MWJ with him.

To me this is 100% correct. If Webber goes, then it's high time for an 80 year old, 25 year board member to go. We need a fresh start, fresh ideas. It's Delia, MWJ and the board that have made the same mistakes over and over again, not just Webber!

I think his focus is now elsewhere, and this may come to a natural end this summer, but its just embarrasing how Delia & MWJ hang on, and hang on, and make the same mistakes 

• Like 3

People get very cross when they discover you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Unless there's a billionaire waiting in the wings, this is our lot.

Anger and frustration won't change that basic fact.

• Like 4