Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

look I love Williams and think he's geat

But it does seem that Giannoulis is doing just as good. Quite the dilemma we have even more so given we know Williams won't be here next season and Giannoulis has supposedly been moaning to the press in the past few months. Still, I do feel that Williams is the better defender in terms of physicality/strength and having better awareness than Dimi (Giannoulis somehow missing Cornet and doing zero marking on him  just prior to his miss a great example of this..) but at the same time I do fee that Giannoulis has the quicker and more skillfull feet.. Quite the tricky conundrum but I guess the question is which of the two of the do you prefer us to play with? Although thinking about it prehaps it might be worth playing Williams at the back and Giannoulis on the wing.. But that's a debate for another day 🤣

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Williams can't play in our next match so it's up to Dimitri to stake his claim.

I think Smith will continue to pick what he perceives our strongest team with perhaps and eye to keeping him sweet for next season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But it does seem that Giannoulis is doing just as good. Quite the dilemma we have even more so given we know Williams won't be here next season and Giannoulis has supposedly been moaning to the press in the past few months. Still, I do feel that Williams is the better defender in terms of physicality/strength and having better awareness than Dimi (Giannoulis somehow missing Cornet and doing zero marking on him  just prior to his miss a great example of this..) but at the same time I do fee that Giannoulis has the quicker and more skillfull feet.. Quite the tricky conundrum but I guess the question is which of the two of the do you prefer us to play with? Although thinking about it prehaps it might be worth playing Williams at the back and Giannoulis on the wing.. But that's a debate for another day 🤣

Well Byram & Giannoulis in for Aarons & Williams last 2 games, 2 clean sheets.

• Like 1

I've always wondered about Max Aarons on the left tbh especially as I like Byram starting due to the solidarity, composure and experience he offers us. Aarons played LB a lot in the youth system and as a right rooter would probably be more useful to us cutting inside when he gets forward instead of hitting crosses in to Pukki.

Giannoulis and Williams' problem are that they have lapses. They can both be superb for 99% of the game but then make a silly error or in Giannoulis' case switch off and lose his man, Aarons is more consistent, I'd be tempted to give him a go there with Byram on the right

I would leave the back 5 as it is - two clean sheets, Bring Max into midfield as he likes to attack and knows you have to stop opposition forward runs. At right back usually too far forward but feel he can do a job in midfield.  

He is certainly better all round than Gilmore. 

Still don't understand in our poor midfield Sorenson doesn't get a look in.

I was very vocally in favour of Giannoulis over Williams for a good half of the season, but over Christmas Williams definitely solidified himself in there and Giannoulis’ fall was only exasperated by his awful performance against Charlton in the cup.

However I still think Giannoulis can count himself unfortunate to be competing with our best performing defender (maybe second after Hanley). I’d maintain that when on the pitch Giannoulis has been one of our better players. He was excellent v Liverpool in the first game of the season, v Man U at home, and Newcastle away coming on as a sub. He’s also done well in the last couple of games, always seems to be very progressive and positive in possession. 

However good Williams has been, I still don’t really get why Giannoulis wasn’t used more as a sub when we were chasing games, as he’s clearly superior coming forwards to Williams. I mean it’s not like we had anyone on the bench itching to get on…

I think he and Sorensen are probably the only two players who can count themselves rather unfortunate to be out of favour to the extent they are. Let’s hope this doesn’t put them off playing for NCFC as both players could be real assets next year. 

We should play (what our manager considers to be) our best available XI every match. Simple as that. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

I feel that unless a loan player is by far the better player, then we should always favour our own player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnDaBall said:

I feel that unless a loan player is by far the better player, then we should always favour our own player.

Williams is by far the better player when it comes to defensive abilities. 

Dimi has really struggled defensively at times and I think that's down to not having experienced the premier league.

My prediction? With Greece not in the world cup, Dimi has no reason to force a move. If he stays (and I hope he does) he will be in the top 3 for POTS in what will hopefully be a promotion winning campaign with his premier-league offensive abilities. The extra experience he will have had from the premier league and a full season in the Championship will leave him much better positioned to be a premier league calibre player next time. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

8 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Byram is a much better defender than Aarons but also much less effective going forward. Giannoulis was OK until Cornet switched wings then he was lost. He can't defend very well but is better going forward. Personally, I don't see him as a full back, not even in the Championship.

Williams also brings some real hard tackling, slightly dirty style of play to the team as well, which is so sorely lacking in other areas.

Williams is 10x the better defender and probably about as good as Gianoullis going forwards - but being right footed we do look a bit better balanced down that side when attacking.

Giannoulis is the better player when we're on the front foot, Williams when we're on the back foot. Williams has been very committed as far as loan players go and I'll certainly hope he goes on and develops. Suspect it won't be at United though.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Giannoulis is the better player when we're on the front foot, Williams when we're on the back foot. Williams has been very committed as far as loan players go and I'll certainly hope he goes on and develops. Suspect it won't be at United though.

This is a great point and for the majority of games in the champ we where on the front foot so Giannoulis looked like a good signing. He’s not awful defensively by no means but it’s difficult for us to recruit a full back that is equally good at defending and attacking for under 15m

On 11/04/2022 at 14:59, Move Klose said:

Interesting

Giannoulis hasn't 'supposedly' been moaning to the Greek press, it was quite well documented at the time.

However, the same sources are now saying he might have changed his mind now as he will be first choice if/ when we drop 

LB has been a problem position for us in the EPL, Giannoulis is lightweight and inconsistent but does offer balance on the left and is better going forward.   Williams seems the exact opposite,   Tenacious and gives 100% but poor going forward, and also inconsistent.    

That he may be up for POTS is a gross exaggeration of his contribution borne out of the effort he gives rather than the contribution overall.  Hanley has stood out a mile in a generally disappointing list.  

Like Gilmour, he wasn’t the loan we needed.

As someone said earlier, hopefully another year in English football may help Giannoulis adapt.    Hope McCullum gets an opportunity to battle him for the spot next season.

On 11/04/2022 at 18:28, Mike w said:

I would leave the back 5 as it is - two clean sheets, Bring Max into midfield as he likes to attack and knows you have to stop opposition forward runs. At right back usually too far forward but feel he can do a job in midfield.  

He is certainly better all round than Gilmore. 

Still don't understand in our poor midfield Sorenson doesn't get a look in.

I'm thinking about this.......the more I think it seems a decent idea. Think TAA at pool. Aaron's could potentially be a great link to the front players

Giannoulis would be a top quality left back in the Championship next season and given the fact Williams wont be here next season and we want to keep Dimi happy I would keep him in the team until the end of the season providing he doesn't make any terrible mistakes.