Nexus_Canary

What do people want in replacing Delia??

What would you want from a new owner?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want from a new owner?

• Delia is fine thanks very much
    • Anyone who will invest some cash - Delia Out
    • Screw ethics I want Newcastle / Chelsea / Citeh model
    • Leicester Model
    • Fan consortium type buyout
    • "Delia Re-animation Project"

Firstly disclaimer - 
Not a witch hunt, finger point or a "your wrong" thread I want to see the other side of the argument.

So firstly - I do not understand why so many of our fan base wants Delia Smith to leave. I remember the Chase era and can still remember the relief and excitement when she bought the club. There have been ups and downs but i would say more ups to her ownership than downs.

Secondly - I do not understand what or who people think or would want (lets go pure fantasy here) from a new owner. Do you want a Ryan Reynolds style celeb (arguably we have done the celeb route with Delia) Do you want Sheikh Fastcahanoil Upresslefem? Do you want Ivanovich Warcrimavich? Or some kind of big money NFL first American take over? Or some kindly Leicester style chap?

I guess from my perspective to sell out for the big money we need and require to compete in the Prem we have to sell the most important part of our club which is our soul. Some might find it mental but i would rather be in our position and being passionately furious than sat at the top of the Prem celebrating another meaningless whatever win with a team full of mercenaries. 

I guess i just feel that so many people point fingers at Delia and I wonder what the alternative is? Who do people actually think will want to buy us? How will we as fans suffer?  Or is it just all about Prem survival / victory? 

Cheers guys, hope for some objectiveness, but yeh its the Pinkun so wont hold my breath! 

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 1

I think the answer is to stick Neppers Tom on the Help to Grow Management Training programme (that’s 90% Government subsidised by the way - £750 and you’re on it!), with a view that he is mentored by an Entrepreneurial master and identifies a means to fast-track a business and wealth of his own that he can invest in the club.

I.e. Help Tom become a billionaire. And if he can do that, he must have ‘something about him’, so why not welcome him into leading the club forwards?

PS - I think this is more likely than the options 2-5. Seriously.  

36 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Firstly disclaimer - 
Not a witch hunt, finger point or a "your wrong" thread I want to see the other side of the argument.

So firstly - I do not understand why so many of our fan base wants Delia Smith to leave. I remember the Chase era and can still remember the relief and excitement when she bought the club. There have been ups and downs but i would say more ups to her ownership than downs.

Secondly - I do not understand what or who people think or would want (lets go pure fantasy here) from a new owner. Do you want a Ryan Reynolds style celeb (arguably we have done the celeb route with Delia) Do you want Sheikh Fastcahanoil Upresslefem? Do you want Ivanovich Warcrimavich? Or some kind of big money NFL first American take over? Or some kindly Leicester style chap?

I guess from my perspective to sell out for the big money we need and require to compete in the Prem we have to sell the most important part of our club which is our soul. Some might find it mental but i would rather be in our position and being passionately furious than sat at the top of the Prem celebrating another meaningless whatever win with a team full of mercenaries. 

I guess i just feel that so many people point fingers at Delia and I wonder what the alternative is? Who do people actually think will want to buy us? How will we as fans suffer?  Or is it just all about Prem survival / victory? 

Cheers guys, hope for some objectiveness, but yeh its the Pinkun so wont hold my breath! 

Why would we necessarily suffer? 

I want an owner who actually cares about achieving something and staying in the premier league and who can provide the extra resources to give us a fighting chance of doing so. They don’t have to be mega billionaires but we need someone with some extra ambition/ruthlessness who can get us through that first season without having to sell our best player or not being able to sign what we need due to wage constraints. 

• Like 4

If we want to be an established top flight club, finishing a nice safe 12th-ish every year, what we need (as opposed to want) is someone that is happy to burn something like £50-100m a year. It’s not an investor we need but a benefactor. And, I really don’t mean this disrespectfully, the people “Delia outing” wouldn’t be satisfied with that for long. And then what? Someone richer I suppose.

Of course, we should strive to perform and compete at the highest level we can and I’d love to see us staying up for more than one season. But the Premier League is utterly ****e. It’s the top division and as such, I want us there but by the same token it’s no more competitive than the SPL we used to take the **** at. Or Spain. Or the Bayernliga. It is, much like society in general, a bent system gladhanding and tickling the nuts of the rich while everyone else can get ****ed. And it’s all facilitated by people that somehow believe that they’re part of it/hopelessly aspire to it/are envious of it.

Anyway, we’re gonna win 4-0 tomorrow and the escape is back on. (We won’t, it isn’t). 

• Like 7

Luton are to my knowledge fan owned. If they can do it, so can we. I do like having Delia in charge, Ideally keep her with a little bit of external investment (maybe get the fans to nag until she finds someone). Maybe nag Hugh Jackman to take another look at us, and he can exacerbate his pseudo tiff with Ryan Reynolds. Ownership is debatably ethical in some quarters especially considering one of our shareholders Michael Foulger is a battery farm owner. Sorry for the incoherence I'm just spit balling.

Google says Hugh Jackman is worth $180m. Nowhere near enough.

To add, the best player I have possibly ever seen play for Norwich we sold for £38m, he was on the bench today for a mid-table side that got tonked at home by a team nowhere near the best in the country. Putting aside the fact I think he is being wasted there, $180m isn’t going to go far. 

Edited by Duncan Edwards

30 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Why would we necessarily suffer? 

I want an owner who actually cares about achieving something and staying in the premier league and who can provide the extra resources to give us a fighting chance of doing so. They don’t have to be mega billionaires but we need someone with some extra ambition/ruthlessness who can get us through that first season without having to sell our best player or not being able to sign what we need due to wage constraints. 

Who gets us through the second season Jimbo? 

9 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Once you stay up a couple of seasons then it gets easier to build something. Not easy, but easier. Look at the likes of Palace and Southampton and the squads they are able to build (yes I know Saints got tonked today).

I just don’t get the “new owner = worse run” fair accompli position. What might they do? Make us a National laughing stock? Introduce an away membership scheme to screw fans out of more money?  Put season tickets up by 8% with the club reportedly in the best financial shape it’s been for some time? Have extortionately expensive casual ticket prices? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Once you stay up a couple of seasons then it gets easier to build something. Not easy, but easier. Look at the likes of Palace and Southampton and the squads they are able to build (yes I know Saints got tonked today).

I just don’t get the “new owner = worse run” fair accompli position. What might they do? Make us a National laughing stock? Introduce an away membership scheme to screw fans out of more money?  Put season tickets up by 8% with the club reportedly in the best financial shape it’s been for some time? Have extortionately expensive casual ticket prices? 

That in no way answers the question Jimbo  in fact you  jump to ' once you stay up a couple of seasons it gets easier' ... strange.  Duncano is correct , it doesnt end with staying up , it takes more and more each season, just to stay up.   

Ill try to ignore the cul de sac of anti current majority shareholder stuff,  It was irrelevant as i for one dont  believe new owner necessarily = worse owners.  Show me an  actual option and I'll  give my opinion, fwiw  🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I want, I want I want!!!!   

Our club is very well run, little debt and plenty of young talent.    Sadly, we made to many mistakes and misjudgements.   The scouts failed, Webber made miscalculations and we didn’t learn lessons.   That’s not the owners fault.

Evidence suggests the chances of us repeating the Leicester model are at least 92/1.   Also suggests rich owners don’t make a difference in most cases. This model could work, just needs better scouts, a more ruthless approach to contracts (not letting players we need leave and getting rid of players who can’t cut it). proper CDMs and continued opportunities for youngsters.

• Like 2

Someone who doesn’t do the bull crap interviews who says they are little old Norwich, happy to be here, or top 26.

Ambition to get to the next level and grow each season instead of 2 steps forward and 30 back each time we are in the EPL! 

Edited by TheBaldOne66
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our owners ceased putting money into this football club some 12+ years ago.

They believe they can own a club without investing in it yet apparantly won't entertain the idea of selling to someone who might.

So people then need to ask themselves , what it is that they bring to the table to warrant them continuing in this position?

One major factor is are they appointing the right people to run the club?

Since this club decided to go down the route of the chief exec/football director route then by and large 'yes'

David McNally did more good than bad , Jez Moxey ...well?...and then there's the case of Stuart Webber....2 promotions but now 2 relegations where player recruitment this season has been disaatrous, even within the limited but big (for norwich) budget we had in the summer.

Who falls on their sword first , the sporting director or the owner?

This however will be 4 relegations in each of the last 4 seasons in the premier league.

Thats fairly conclusive proof that this 'model' cannot keep a club in the premier league and if we are to ever do that something at the top must clearly change

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

The idea is that with each season of incoming premier league money, it would then put you at a head start over newly promoted clubs until such time as your'e then operating just above the relegation zone each season...i.e Brighton

We were possibly in the verge of getting ourselves into that position having survived for 2 seasons under Lambert/Hughton but then in the third season made some horrific summer signings , top of which being Van Wolfswinkel

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Thats fairly conclusive proof that this 'model' cannot keep a club in the premier league and if we are to ever do that something at the top must clearly change

Or the Premier League could change.

57 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We were possibly in the verge of getting ourselves into that position having survived for 2 seasons under Lambert/Hughton but then in the third season made some horrific summer signings , top of which being Van Wolfswinkel

I would argue that 12 men behind the ball, nice guy Chris tactics would have resulted in Lionel Messi having a goal drought. So to point the finger at the wolf is unfair. He had zero service and from a technical point of view you had a natural goal scorer / poacher  being asked to lead the line fine with zero support.

One thing that frustrates me is when people bang on about 'investment' it's a bit of a misnomer. I think in most cases what people mean is closer to 'donate', to the sum of a couple hundred million over a few years- and for that amount we'd get *slightly* better odds at not being relegated.

Hearing so many call for 'more ambition to at least stay in this league!!1!' seems steeped in irony to me. Sure, we could have chucked £30m at some January signings that might have made us a little better, but if we still went down (as was likely anyway for promoted teams) we would then be hamstrung financially and in a very precarious position. Way I see it, this stop-loss strategy probably hurts short-term but gives us strength long-term, making it thoroughly more likely we will continue to challenge.

At the end of the day though, I follow Norwich for the sake of following Norwich. Annoyed when we're ****, elated when we're good, that's about all I have time for. If you're getting apoplectic 'bcoz Delia' then I suggest you need more hobbies.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I would argue that 12 men behind the ball, nice guy Chris tactics would have resulted in Lionel Messi having a goal drought. So to point the finger at the wolf is unfair. He had zero service and from a technical point of view you had a natural goal scorer / poacher  being asked to lead the line fine with zero support.

....he was cr@p...one of the worst players I've seen play for us in 40+ yrs

With the reforms happening in the EFL potentially with FFP then new owners will actually have very little impact in the Championship. 

The Leicester situation was a 5000/1 shot. Relying on that as being your new owner model is nonsensical. 

The more realistic ones are a Brighton or Southampton. 

As it is, I suspect this entire conversation is going to become more and more redundant as whilst I welcome the Championship financial reforms its going to widen the gap even further and will likely see the 3 promoted teams getting relegated 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Thank you. Been saying that for years. Wolfswinkel was a decent player asked to play a role alien to him,with no service.( bit like Pukki now!!) Before anybody mentions the ghost pass v Everton,Buendia done the same last season,against whom I forget,and it was hardly mentioned on here.Not the Wolfs fault we payed £8 mill for him.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The idea is that with each season of incoming premier league money, it would then put you at a head start over newly promoted clubs until such time as your'e then operating just above the relegation zone each season...i.e Brighton

I get that Middo , but Jimbos post made it sound as if after  first season survival, that staying in premier league  became easier, and that one seasons extra finance would do it, that is is the point i disagreed  on. It never gets easier for a club of our size and current finances , unless something changes drastically. 

I don’t think we should ever change owner; even letting young Thomas take control is far too dangerous. Change is bad. If baby Jesus was picking an owner for a football club back in the day, he’d of picked Delia.

Even when Delia pops her clogs, we should endeavour to reanimate her ala Dr Frankenstein. Maybe Webber can use himself as some kind of lightning rod at the top of Everest, discharging his electrical splurge towards Carrow Rud to fry Delia to keep her going for the next 3 thousand years or so?

Young Frankenstein | Young frankenstein, Frankenstein, Animated movies

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

18 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I don’t think we should ever change owner; even letting young Thomas take control is far too dangerous. Change is bad. If baby Jesus was picking an owner for a football club back in the day, he’d of picked Delia.

Even when Delia pops her clogs, we should endeavour to reanimate her ala Dr Frankenstein. Maybe Webber can use himself as some kind of lightning rod at the top of Everest, discharging his electrical splurge towards Carrow Rud to fry Delia to keep her going for the next 3 thousand years or so?

Young Frankenstein | Young frankenstein, Frankenstein, Animated movies

OTBC

At last. After all the crackpot head-in-the-clouds fantasies you have come up with a down-to-earth and realistic proposal all fans can get behind.

• Haha 1

Why should aspiring to change at the top necessarily mean that the so-called "model" needs to be abandoned?

We currently have an aged couple who are set in their ways, risk-averse and unambitious presiding over the club. If the "What Delia says goes" rumours are to be believed, and the 'take it or leave it' attitude to the 'keeping it in the family' intentions would confirm that they are, then this somewhat hegemonic control has become totally out of tune with the status of NCFC, and it's place within the modern game, and even within the game it'self.

We need freshness at the top rather than the quaint, dated outlook of an owner who seems content with second best to the point of seeming indifference to the likes of this season's embarrassing shambles. Quite frankly, we need more ambition, whether this emanates from a new face, a consortium or some valid  interest from overseas need not be any more risky than the current stale malaise that could see us back onto that slippery slope that led to League One ignominy.  That this change might provide more financial back-up that would see the club removed from its perpetual pauper status would likely be an inevitable bonus.

The club desperately needs younger, more vibrant ownership, wherever that might come from. Countless takeovers of countless clubs have taken place since the Smiths first graced the upper echelons of our club yet NCFC has supposedly been an uninviting prospect for even the chanciest of venturers.

It's not quite 'anybody but Delia' at the moment, but surely a change of some sort is vital. NCFC seems to stand still whilst the footballing world forever evolves. That much of this change is disagreeable cannot invite detachment because that's the way it is. 

Norwich City Football Club no more deserves perpetual Premier League status than a host of other clubs, and probably a lot less than many who currently sit in lower leagues. This doesn't mean we should give up on that ambition.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

At last. After all the crackpot head-in-the-clouds fantasies you have come up with a down-to-earth and realistic proposal all fans can get behind.

I knew you'd like it Purple; it's probably the most realistic solution ever posted on here by anyone about anything. 

My next plan is to resurrect the spirit of 92/93 Mike Walker using Lego and a cattle prod.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I knew you'd like it Purple; it's probably the most realistic solution ever posted on here by anyone about anything. 

My next plan is to resurrect the spirit of 92/93 Mike Walker using Lego and a cattle prod.

OTBC

Of course you realise that £750,000 supposedly spent on some BOT thingy meant to improve passing is a complete blind. It is a state of the art cryogenic chamber stored in a cellar at Carrow Road so S&J can be unfrozen once the secret of immortality has been discovered...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Of course you realise that £750,000 supposedly spent on some BOT thingy meant to improve passing is a complete blind. It is a state of the art cryogenic chamber stored in a cellar at Carrow Road so S&J can be unfrozen once the secret of immortality has been discovered...

What a monstrous allegation of lack of transparency at the heart of the Club!

10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I want an owner who actually cares about achieving something and staying in the premier league and who can provide the extra resources to give us a fighting chance of doing so.

So how is this going to work when the new FFP rules (Profit and Sustainability) get passed and clubs are limited to a maximum of 70% of turnover on wages and amortisation?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, essex canary said:

What a monstrous allegation of lack of transparency at the heart of the Club!

But you cannot be surprised, surely?!🤓

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But you cannot be surprised, surely?!🤓

Just having a laugh. Not a bad idea today.