Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

I hate the Premier League

There is something badly wrong with football in this country when a home game in the league against Brentford takes precedence over a fifth-round FA Cup tie at Anfield. 

I get it, I completely get it, and if I were Dean Smith I'd be playing a reserve team too. But what a sad state of affairs. 

• Like 4

The Cup is a distraction from the main task - that is just a fact of life nowadays.

I’m sure we will put as strong a side out as we can but Hanley is suspended, Kabak injured (somehow - seems a bit of a sicknote) and Williams/Aarons are not going to be risked if they’ve missed training.  And that’s just defence.

The ridiculous timing of the game is obviously not a particular hit with supporters either, some people were moaning that we didn’t take a huge allocation but the reality is that the club knows it’s supporter base pretty well, having sold just over 1k tickets: a pretty decent amount when all is considered.

Edited by Branston Pickle

28 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

There is something badly wrong with football in this country when a home game in the league against Brentford takes precedence over a fifth-round FA Cup tie at Anfield. 

I get it, I completely get it, and if I were Dean Smith I'd be playing a reserve team too. But what a sad state of affairs. 

The FA Cup should be the most exciting part of our season right now, that everyone's up for. The sh*t show that is current football means it's nothing more than a distraction.

• Like 4

I don't hate the PL - I just hate being in it, unable to compete with the monied teams, ridiculous VAR decisions, cr@p kickoff times (which can be moved at the whim of the TV companies, or to suit the 'big' teams), and the seemingly constant search for a BAFTA nomination by some players. 

• Like 1

If we actually had a credible chance of league survival then I'd be all for playing the reserves in the cup. But, given we're certainly going down, a decent cup run is the only thing we have left. Sad really.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

If we actually had a credible chance of league survival then I'd be all for playing the reserves in the cup. But, given we're certainly going down, a decent cup run is the only thing we have left. Sad really.

Thankfully, the manager and players think differently!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sooty57 said:

I don't hate the PL - I just hate being in it, unable to compete with the monied teams, ridiculous VAR decisions, cr@p kickoff times (which can be moved at the whim of the TV companies, or to suit the 'big' teams), and the seemingly constant search for a BAFTA nomination by some players. 

But it's just so predictable.

You could name the 2 main contenders for the title; the champions league and Europa league challengers + the relegation dogfight teams every year with only the occasional surprise.

Just hoping that the European superleague comes along again and that this time the "super six" join it and leave English football. It would be better for everyone.

I’ve been suffering from this hating the PL thing for a while, but then I just realise it’s because we can’t afford to compete. If we were competitive we’d be loving life. That’s all.

I wonder, the year before they won it and just before that crazy end of season run, how many Leicester fans were on their message boards hating the premier compared to a year later.

Makes me think that every league is crap when you doing crap and every league is brilliant when you’re doing brilliantly.

Right now I hate the premier league, but go on a run from now until the end of the season that would see us achieve safety and I can guarantee I’ll think it’s great. 

I completely agree about the sad fact of the FA Cup losing its magic though. I hate that. Maybe they should put a champions league place up for grabs for the winner and take it away from 4th place. Reckon it would be taken seriously then whilst retaining the hope of an outsider making it.

Edited by Coneys Knee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Why is it sad? Why is even the remotest possibility of winning a one off cup competition more important than an entire season of playing in the top flight. There is this ridiculous notion that because the cup used to matter it should be all important. Yes the shocks are newsworthy but that’s about it. Most of the rest is wound up by terrestrial tv channels as it’s the only competition they get to show live.

w

The club that wins the FA Cup gets £1.8m.

The club that finishes bottom of the Premier League gets £98m.

Not hard to do the maths on this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Why is it sad? Why is even the remotest possibility of winning a one off cup competition more important than an entire season of playing in the top flight. There is this ridiculous notion that because the cup used to matter it should be all important. Yes the shocks are newsworthy but that’s about it. Most of the rest is wound up by terrestrial tv channels as it’s the only competition they get to show live.

w

I think it feels sad because the vast majority of posters over the age of maybe 25 remember how magical the FA Cup felt up until Man Utd pulled out of it.

I remember that quarter final replay against Southampton and the semi final that followed with such fondness. Would it it feel the same in the modern era? We wouldn’t know sadly, but I suspect it wouldn’t. Surely that feeling of magic that football dishes out (only sometimes these days), is what it’s all about?

Or, a we guilty of succumbing to nostalgia? There’d be only one way to find out…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

FA fup- 0.000001 percent chance of winning which means nothing

Staying in the Prem- Worth millions

You work out which of those two the board and club would prefer.

I don’t think that’s the point he’s making to be fair, though you are correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

Couldn't we have both

Yeah me too, take some comfort in the fact you're not alone in thinking that way, loads of us who support a variety of clubs all hate it as well. Eventually it will collapse though, it will become so bloated and unsustainable that it'll collapse into itself, that's just how things work, in business if you're not growing you're regressing and nothing can grow forever. I can't wait for it till all go bust but sadly I think we're at least a couple of decades away 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Just hoping that the European superleague comes along again and that this time the "super six" join it and leave English football. It would be better for everyone.

Didn't they want to be in the ESL AND PL at the same time?

We should be going all out in this cup match....   The league is over, dilusional to believe otherwise..... the match v Brentford is only a relegation match for them..... and even if we stayed up by some miraculous fortune, the gap between us and everyone else is so vast that bridging it this season with our funds is impossible, would just mean another 12 months of misery.   

Lets get ourselves back in the Championship where there is some integrity, re-group and re-develop.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

£99.8m in a season... not bad! 

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We should be going all out in this cup match....   The league is over, dilusional to believe otherwise..... the match v Brentford is only a relegation match for them..... and even if we stayed up by some miraculous fortune, the gap between us and everyone else is so vast that bridging it this season with our funds is impossible, would just mean another 12 months of misery.   

Lets get ourselves back in the Championship where there is some integrity, re-group and re-develop.    

I get that we regroup under a new manager, we’re straddling two camps right now, but redevelop? Redevelop to what? What bluster Webber will say, this season has killed me thinking we could ever become an established Prem side. I mean what even is established. I’ve lost a lot of heart in NCFC this season and the stomach to watch us play well in Championship, get excited, only to hate the end of result that is promotion to a league that, quite frankly, is a faceless sh1tshow. 

I’ve an old friend who is a Palace fan, we went to Selhurst game together. As we know they are doing ok, have done ok. Nevertheless he admits he only goes out of habit, we are basically junkies, most seasons are laced with joylessness and an ever present fear that maybe this year one will descend. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

w

It's sad because it's only about money. 

Football should, in my opinion at least, be about trying to win competitions and the memories that come with it. 

I'd love to see us win an FA Cup and share that moment with friends, family and 1000's of other norwich fans, because that is what competitive sport should be, not finishing 17th and thinking about how nice the balance sheets will look. 

I certainly treasure my memories of Cardiff in 2002 orWembley 2015 with my family far more than I treasure a memory of midtable in the Premier League.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, king canary said:

It's sad because it's only about money. 

Football should, in my opinion at least, be about trying to win competitions and the memories that come with it. 

I'd love to see us win an FA Cup and share that moment with friends, family and 1000's of other norwich fans, because that is what competitive sport should be, not finishing 17th and thinking about how nice the balance sheets will look. 

I certainly treasure my memories of Cardiff in 2002 orWembley 2015 with my family far more than I treasure a memory of midtable in the Premier League.

You treasure the memories because they were one off special occasions, of course we all do. My point is that even winning the cup, despite the enjoyment of the day, is not going to mean as much if it’s followed by months of turgid football. Fans have very short memories. Think how wonderful the football was last season, and how much people were complying by the fifth game of this season.

8 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

You treasure the memories because they were one off special occasions, of course we all do. My point is that even winning the cup, despite the enjoyment of the day, is not going to mean as much if it’s followed by months of turgid football. Fans have very short memories. Think how wonderful the football was last season, and how much people were complying by the fifth game of this season.

Disagree personally. 

The Wembley final wasn't tainted for me by our subsequent relegation. The memories of last season similarly remain something I'll treasure despite the disappointing follow up. I'd rather have these moments and then a let down afterwards than not have them at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

My point is that even winning the cup, despite the enjoyment of the day, is not going to mean as much if it’s followed by months of turgid football. 

100% disagree...in the scenario you map out above, if anything, the cup win would mean even more; it would be something to remember and be proud of in the turgid/difficult times you mention. If someone offered me relegation and an FA cup win at the start of the season, I'd have bitten their hand off; I was always likely to get one of those two anyway. 

I'm quite used to the feeling of relegation by now; I'd like to know what it feels like to win the FA cup at least once in my lifetime.

OTBC

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sooty57 said:

Didn't they want to be in the ESL AND PL at the same time?

Yes.

I'm hoping that there will be a deal that is so fantastic that it makes leaving the premier league worthwhile.