Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

A lucky Draw

Negative play from after 20 minutes but still a point. 2nd half just underlined our shortcomings in midfield, a better side would have embarrassed us. 

• Like 1

You take lucky draws all day long - we’ve had several unlucky ones along with unlucky defeats.  It is what it is - a hard earned point, that might be important come the end of the season. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You take lucky draws all day long - we’ve had several unlucky ones along with unlucky defeats.  It is what it is - a hard earned point, that might be important come the end of the season. 

Could be massive come May. We wait and see. That said PLM and Kenny is a dangerous combination but not in a positive way. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So we were plucking lucky.......

Absopluckinglutely. 

5 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Under Farke we would have lost that by a wide margin

There was an even wider margin in that penalty miss, lol. How did he miss so badly?

Rashica looks good but the McLean / PLM midfield doesn't work. Hints of a return to December there.

All said a point in adversity but we really needed three.

• Like 1

Well, it shows the improvement that we are disappointed with a draw against a decent Palace side. I don’t think we would be getting that point under Farke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Could be massive come May. We wait and see. That said PLM and Kenny is a dangerous combination but not in a positive way. 

Darren Eadie thought PLM and Kenny were fantastic in the first half.

Funny how your view seems to almost always differ from professionals in the game.

I understand why Smith brought Gilmour on but our midfield balance was worse with the introduction of him and then Normann.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have to agree with PLM and Kenny statement!

Contrary to popular opinion I don't think it was the midfield two who caused us to be outclassed tonight, but the fact we struggled for physicality in the wide areas. Several times McLean and Lees-Melou made decent interceptions with their back to goal but had absolutely no outlet.

Palace soon worked out they could press us high and there was very little outlet for the cross-field ball. Placheta worked hard but I think we really missed the Sarge in that position tonight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Funny how your view seems to almost always differ from professionals in the game.

I understand why Smith brought Gilmour on but our midfield balance was worse with the introduction of him and then Normann.

I don’t agree with Darren Eadie. To be fair, neither played badly and they both did some good work. That’s not the point being made. The point is that as a combination they do not offer either enough ball winning or ball retention capability. In a three, it may be different but as a two we have been completely overrun in midfield every time they’ve played together. And I include Watford (after Sorensen went off) in that where the score line was extremely flattering to us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Well, it shows the improvement that we are disappointed with a draw against a decent Palace side. I don’t think we would be getting that point under Farke.

I think we would have lost 1-3. With the non Premier league coaching team for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t agree with Darren Eadie. To be fair, neither played badly and they both did some good work. That’s not the point being made. The point is that as a combination they do not offer either enough ball winning or ball retention capability. In a three, it may be different but as a two we have been completely overrun in midfield every time they’ve played together. And I include Watford (after Sorensen went off) in that where the score line was extremely flattering to us. 

Eadie was correct but for only 20 minutes. Palace stood off, saw we were limp in midfield and took control at ease. If any of us supported them tonight we’d be gobsmacked how it was a draw. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

But we didnt even try to control the midfield today. We were clearly going to press and hassle their midfielders but we were outnumbered for starters. We don't have two central players better than a Palace three. But we knew we could press at times when Idah or Pukki dropped back, and at other times sit off. In the first half it worked as intended - we created the much better chances and restricted them to very little despite them dominating the ball.

Conversely, it was dominating the ball but not being able to really score or win games that plenty complained about Farke.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

But we didnt even try to control the midfield today. We were clearly going to press and hassle their midfielders but we were outnumbered for starters. We don't have two central players better than a Palace three. But we knew we could press at times when Idah or Pukki dropped back, and at other times sit off. In the first half it worked as intended - we created the much better chances and restricted them to very little despite them dominating the ball.

Conversely, it was dominating the ball but not being able to really score or win games that plenty complained about Farke.

Well that’s a positive spin on it! We were very poor 2nd half, let’s nick the point and move on. 

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

There was an even wider margin in that penalty miss, lol. How did he miss so badly?

Slipped - evidently. 

Was a shocking miss though.  

2nd half we were fcuking ****, never created a single chance. But if you can't win then don't lose. If Zaha scores from that pen it's game over, luckily it was the worst penalty you'll ever see.

A battling performance against a good side but we look out of our depth I'm honest, but lady luck shone on us tonight.

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Slipped - evidently. 

Was a shocking miss though.  

That naughty groundsman of ours has been watering the penalty spots again....................

33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I bow to you as always. What must it be like to know everything!!!! 

Speaking to a Palace fan afterwards, he couldn't believe we were trying to defend a lead after just 1 minute. 2 points dropped from a game they dominated.

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Speaking to a Palace fan afterwards, he couldn't believe we were trying to defend a lead after just 1 minute. 2 points dropped from a game they dominated.

That’s bang on the money, we were crap but got a point. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Darren Eadie refused to sign my shirt as an 11 year-old that hero worshipped him. I had the pen in hand, lid off and it was specifically at an event organised by FITC where you got to meet your heroes. Waited in line, got to the front, he said ‘I don’t do shirts’ smiled for the camera and I left, without autograph as I had no paper. The photo captured my heartbreak, and I kept it for years as a reminder that Darren Eadie is a horrible man who knows nothing about anything - especially with his view that PLM and KM are a good midfield pairing. 

An unfit Normann came in, won a ball in midfield and put a ball through to Idah that showed more promise than anything KM produced all game. PLM sprayed a good one to Rashica early doors so I’ll lay off him for now, especially after he spent 70 minutes getting fouled by Gallagher

Sweary

• Like 1
  • Haha 1