Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Smith again saying they don't expect any incoming business

I know that this has already been said many times by many people on here but this absolutely beggars belief if true.

In fact, it beggars belief that with two key games coming up this week we have not already brought in an extra, more athletic midfield option. Should have been here in the first week of this window. Two more games wasted. 

Towel well and truly thrown in. No ambition. And as far as Webber is concerned, in my view if he cannot see that we desperately need to strengthen the midfield area then its complete ineptitude.

We are still not out of this but the current midfield (especially with Giolmour out for a month) is clearly not good enough. 

• Like 3

In actual fact the noises were that they wanted an attacker more than a m/f - and given how threadbare our options are that is hard to disagree with.  I guess the point is it takes money they’ll say they don’t have.

The odd thing is that we apparently have a (too?) ‘big’ squad, but it does seem to get thin of options pretty quickly in some areas - particularly up front.

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I know that this has already been said many times by many people on here but this absolutely beggars belief if true.

In fact, it beggars belief that with two key games coming up this week we have not already brought in an extra, more athletic midfield option. Should have been here in the first week of this window. Two more games wasted. 

Towel well and truly thrown in. No ambition. And as far as Webber is concerned, in my view if he cannot see that we desperately need to strengthen the midfield area then its complete ineptitude.

We are still not out of this but the current midfield (especially with Giolmour out for a month) is clearly not good enough. 

Those in power have already accepted that we are down and are simply circling the wagons.

Shameful behaviour with another fall guy in the manager's seat taking the flak for them.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

In actual fact the noises were that they wanted an attacker more than a m/f - and given how threadbare our options are that is hard to disagree with.  I guess the point is it takes money they’ll say they don’t have.

The odd thing is that we apparently have a (too?) ‘big’ squad, but it does seem to get thin of options pretty quickly in some areas - particularly up front.

Not sure it is that hard to disagree with. No point having another attacker if we get overrun in midfield every game. 

7 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Those in power have already accepted that we are down and are simply circling the wagons.

Shameful behaviour with another fall guy in the manager's seat taking the flak for them.

Repeat of that last disastrous PL shambles. The Stowmarket Two don't give a damn anymore - one look at their appalling body language at every game now is proof of that. The geriatrics sole purpose is to cling onto their toy.

As for Webber - the experienced spine of the team (Krul, Hanley, McLean and Pukki) will feel bitterly let down after all the promises and don't be surprised if they jump at an opportunity for one last payday in the summer window). OK McLean may not be a big loss but the others sure as hell will be particularly our GK and CF!!   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It doesn’t.  Webber made it clear that there was no money and that there could only be signings if we sold other players first.

Edited by Naturalcynic

I can forgive not having money to spend in the January window if we've used our budget for the season in the summer, but there is no reason why that prevents us sending Gilmour back and bringing in a new loan signing - I can't understand why that hasn't already happened. 

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

It doesn’t.  Webber made it clear that there was no money and that there could only be signings if we sold other players first.

Webber has screwed up then and need to make amends. And just because Stuart Webber says something doesn't make it right or good enough. If he came out and said "we are going to be sh*t this season" we wouldn;t all just accept being sh*t because Webber told us we were going to be.

We are a premier league football club. Our net spend was actually not that huge. If we cannot find money for one signing in an absolutely key position that is killing us (and its not going to be a stupidly big money signing as none will want to join us now) when we are only 4 points adrift of safety then something is seriously wrong, both in terms of aspirations and avilable resources. 

Edited by Jim Smith

How on earth do they expect people to renew their season tickets with this attitude/ineptitude?

If the majority of us can see what’s needed to “help the boys out”why can’t they?

If they think that we will get promoted again next season with the players we currently have (less those that will go back to their parent clubs or those who decide that with the clubs lack of ambition it’s time to get out) they are deluded.

If something doesn’t change soon we will end up with a League 1 local derby in a couple of years time 😡

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I can forgive not having money to spend in the January window if we've used our budget for the season in the summer, but there is no reason why that prevents us sending Gilmour back and bringing in a new loan signing - I can't understand why that hasn't already happened. 

Presumably because we would need Chelsea to agree. Which they might or might not.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Presumably because we would need Chelsea to agree. Which they might or might not.

But why on Earth wouldn’t they?! I think our performances in the league are way beyond ‘character building’ for the poor lad at this point, and when you throw in fans singing ‘**** off back to Chelsea’ with that awful form it must be closer to actively damaging his progress than helping it…. Just look how mentally scarred our team has been this season by the 10 game losing run post lockdown 2 years ago! Losing like we have been can never be good.

Much more likely is Smith wanting to keep Gilmour considering he’s started every PL game under his reign, I’m just not sure why, he isn’t close to what we need.

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

But why on Earth wouldn’t they?! I think our performances in the league are way beyond ‘character building’ for the poor lad at this point, and when you throw in fans singing ‘**** off back to Chelsea’ with that awful form it must be closer to actively damaging his progress than helping it…. Just look how mentally scarred our team has been this season by the 10 game losing run post lockdown 2 years ago! Losing like we have been can never be good.

Much more likely is Smith wanting to keep Gilmour considering he’s started every PL game under his reign, I’m just not sure why, he isn’t close to what we need.

They might well, but we cannot just chuck him back, good idea thought it probably is.

Contractually we are obliged to keep Gilmour and Chelsea know he will get game time here. Despite others hyping him up i doubt his performances have helped gain interest from any other Prem club, so its possible Chelsea would be awkward.

It's not a massive surprise, but the only thing I would say is that the club aren't likely to announce they're looking for reinforcements (even if they actively are doing so).

Looks as though they have accepted relegation already. The sad thing is, no one is surprised. The cycle continues. Please sell up Delia and Michael!

• Like 1

probably a good thing tbh, do you really expect us to get a player who will get us out of this mess. No. 

factor in our shocking recruitment and it doesnt point to finding a player with quality, all we will do is sign a young, weak player who isnt ready to hit the ground running. 

I'd like to see us sign a really experienced international player at the end of his career, another big character ideally because we are lacking in them

33 minutes ago, Ian said:

It's not a massive surprise, but the only thing I would say is that the club aren't likely to announce they're looking for reinforcements (even if they actively are doing so).

But why wouldn't they? I think if there were funds available and we were looking to buy someone, without first having to sell / send back a loanee, then we'd have been told something a little more positive than what we've heard...

TIFO video that's well worth a watch. Whilst it's on Man United it highlights the issues that a modern midfielder has, and the complex skillset required. Modern teams are so good at pressing now, and teams are needing players in the double pivot who can receive the ball from defence against the press, move it up the pitch, but still be able to break up play with the necessary physicality and athleticism. 

Basically the point of the article is that someone like Scott Tominay at 6' 4" isn't considered very good in the double pivot 6/8 position, and even at world class clubs people are struggling to find players who can play in that position..

6 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

TIFO video that's well worth a watch. Whilst it's on Man United it highlights the issues that a modern midfielder has, and the complex skillset required. Modern teams are so good at pressing now, and teams are needing players in the double pivot who can receive the ball from defence against the press, move it up the pitch, but still be able to break up play with the necessary physicality and athleticism. 

Basically the point of the article is that someone like Scott Tominay at 6' 4" isn't considered very good in the double pivot 6/8 position, and even at world class clubs people are struggling to find players who can play in that position..

And there you go. He scores last night😃. GEEK 🤓 shows rule

When he was manager of Southampton, he turned to his analyst after a loss and said: "I'll tell you what, next week, why don't we get your computer to play against their computer and see who wins?"

It turns out that Redknapp was not too wide of the mark: how long will it be before we look at football not just as a contest between 22 players or a clash between two managers, but as a battle between their respective brains trusts assembled on the two benches?

Might also be a sign that there has been no interest in Cantwell if any movement would depend on him going. I'm resigned to having the same bunch for the 2nd half of the season which I'm sure Dean Smith won't be happy with either.

A £15m player is a saleable asset once signed. Whilst I don't advocate risking financial security, if you buy a player for X, and they are worth X +-10%/20% a few years later then sure that's an absorbable risk/cost. Seems the only thing they don't trust is recruitment or they would back them.

Given how difficult it might prove to bounce straight back up and how, amazingly, we're still not yet cut adrift, it would seem prudently ambitious to invest in a couple of players now in key positions. I'd certainly like a CDM, at least on loan from abroad if that's all we can afford. 

If we literally don't have anything in the kitty, I'm afraid something has gone horribly wrong in both planning and execution. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Given how difficult it might prove to bounce straight back up and how, amazingly, we're still not yet cut adrift, it would seem prudently ambitious to invest in a couple of players now in key positions. I'd certainly like a CDM, at least on loan from abroad if that's all we can afford. 

If we literally don't have anything in the kitty, I'm afraid something has gone horribly wrong in both planning and execution. 

If we literally don't have anything in the kitty, I'm afraid something has gone horribly wrong in both planning and execution.

CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE.  impossible the man's a genius. And he might pull a rabbit out of the hat yet.Screenshot_20220105-070751_Chrome.thumb.jpg.19213a162686ecaa0a189e9435d533b5.jpg

I have mentioned it a couple of times since the AGM in November that Webber said that evening little or no business would be taking place in the January window.

He has clearly chucked all his eggs in the one basket last summer and now has nothing left. He has peed the transfer pot up the wall and if Cantwell goes and whatever we get for him is not spent before the month is out it defies belief.

Webber is a Fraud.