Jim Smith

Stuart Webber - you’ve failed again - sort it in January

I had high hopes when I heard talk of us learning we need to be more athletic. We needed faster players able to physically compete.

bit he’s gone and assembled a squad that is completely the opposite. It’s bizarre. Most of them are decent players and I’m not giving up now but the lack of coherent strategic recruitment really shocks me. It’s tantamount to negligent, especially in the midfield area.

Gilmour and Normann are both good players but we needed athleticism and strength in that area of the team. We needed genuine pace in wide areas and up front. I just don’t get it.

Webber’s premier league record is absolutely appalling. Only at Norwich would the guy responsible for this shambles be rewarded (as recently as last month) with a new contract. 

A £9m maximum transfer ceiling per player ruled us out of getting the quality DM that was needed! Hoping on a prayer Skipp would come back! A transfer policy with more interest on possible sell on value than immediate impact, fingers crossed the academy is a conveyor belt of sellable assets, guess that’s the model!
City could change managers, sporting directors, board members a hundred times but whilst the majority owners refuse to relinquish power the outcome will be the same! 
I appreciate their support and commitment and in an idealistic world where all clubs are run self sustainably we’d be on a level playing field! 
The EPL couldn’t be further from a level playing field so it’s just naive to think we can compete at any level.
Don’t hang on too long and ruin your legacy, admit you’ve taken the club as far as you can and step aside because if things don’t go well next year in the championship (and that’s where City will be playing) even the most apathetic of City fan may feel the rumblings of discontent!

Roll on the Delia lovers and the ever so predictable responses “no one wants to buy Norwich “ “if you don’t like it go and support Man City “ etc etc etc 

wordsearch_grey600_24dp.png

forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
See definitions in:
All
Computing
Law
Roman History

noun
  1. 1. 
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for his arrogant "up the wall statement" and the other that "we are better prepared than last time".

Its all very well bemoaning the lack of money but we could have spent £49.1M on just three better players and made a difference.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for his arrogant "up the wall statement" and the other that "we are better prepared than last time".

Its all very well bemoaning the lack of money but we could have spent £49.1M on just three better players and made a difference.

Exactly a total overhaul wasn’t needed! £20m on a quality DM the rest on a couple of positions would have sufficed! Then use the loan market well, couldn’t have been worse than what we got!

• Like 1

What shocks me about the recruitment is that there seems to have been no thought about how these new recruits would fit together into a team or where the crucial needs were. So we got Williams (who is OK) for a position where we already had Giannoulis and other players who could cover in a crisis, but seemed to make no effort at all to get a DM, which virtually every fan recognised was our key requirement. Similarly, we bought three wingers (assuming we can call Sargent a winger) but nobody to partner Pukki and be on the end of their crosses. Was Webber to blame for this, or Farke, or both of them? Likewise, we got Gilmour when we needed a much more physical midfielder. The comparison with Brentford and Watford does Webber no favours at all. They spotted where they needed to recruit and did it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Completely agree with you re the arrogance of the man.  He’s come up a long way short in the Prem and has been rewarded with a new contract. 

And the net spend (after deducting Buendia’s fee and the fact that a number of the ‘signings’ are actually ‘loans’ and therefore the transfer fees are notional) is significantly less than £50m.

I was searching for a thread to air my grievances about the state of NCFC post Arsenal match. This one will do as there’s a high level of crossover to my opinions. 
I’ll get to it- 

I think enough of the season has passed for a genuine sample size of our summer recruits to be articulated in a fair summery of their individual quality. 
I’m sick of the sight of a few of our players now, and most of them were signed in the summer. I understand there’s a multitude of pressures hindering and causing chaos to our squad, but through the lenses of an individual performance analysis, I’m disgusted with some of the players who’re wearing the shirt. 
Just wondering if anyone else if at the end of their tether with certain players? 
     Today’s result is a turning point for me. I’m out of patience with Sargent, and I totally see and enjoy the utility of pressing forwards. They can be extremely effective. Given his age profile, and physical attributes, it’s an in-vogue, player type. To describe him now I’m running out of nerdy, tactically football lexicon to justify him. He’s a sh** patty-soccer-player! There, I said it! Yeah, I’m pretty annoyed and cynical right but flog him in Jan. Just pi** off already! I’m sure he’s a lovely guy IRL ETC and all that jazz, it’s not personal. As a football player: why the hell is he here? 
I feel the same about Gilmour, Kabak, and PP’s playing who couldn’t get a game in Championship, and yeah it might be a low-resolution analysis of rich, demented, tapestry that is NCFC but to hell with it. PP is keeping D’Deco a formerly touted 20m+ player and quasi-record signing Tzolis out of the starting 11. It’s not ROIGHT, Neyul, ya’knowww? 
Come on you yellows, city til I die and all that good stuff: I mean it. Just had enough of footballers repeatedly having awful games. Quality always shines through, and there’s very little to inspire any glimmer of hope right now. This squad is awful!!! 

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

As the years roll by it's becoming more obvious that Webber's 'Moneyball' approach is very much one that relies on finding as many aces as he can from as wide a selection of cards, even if it means spreading the budget as thin as possible across each card we secure.

Wikipedia's perhaps not the most accurate record, but in the five seasons that Webber's been around the club (since 2017/18) it's got us down as having made 66 transfers in*, and a large number of those either never had or never will have a sniff of first team football at Carrow Road (we usually have c.20 players out on loan each year, we're basically running a Chelsea-lite model).

He's had two summer windows ahead of Premier League seasons and as the January window creaks itself open it's apparent he's failed for a second time out. Your thoughts on 'just three better players' is spot on, and the abysmal record in securing suitable Premier League loans is something that perhaps shows just how well regarded he is by the rest of the football world?

2017/18: Tristan Abrahams, Pierre Fonkeu, Marcel Franke, Grant Hanley, Onel Hernandez, James Husband, Kenny McLean, Savvas Mourgos, Adam Phillips, Simon Power, Sean Raggett, Dennis Srbeny, Marco Stiepermann, Tom Trybull, Mario Vrancic, Marley Watkins and Christoph Zimmermann

2018/19: Mason Bloomfield, Emiliano Buendia, Josh Coley, Akin Famewo, Nicholas Hayes, Philip Heise, William Hondermarck, Billy Johnson, Ciaren Jones, Tim Krul, Kole Lambert, Moritz Leitner, Ben Marshall, Teemu Pukki, Caleb Richards and Tom Scully

2019/20: Daniel Adshead, Rocky Bushiri, Sam Byram, Josip Drmic, Aidan Fitzpatrick, Charlie Gilmour, Archie Mair, Reece McAlear, Sam McCallum, Rob Nizet, Lukas Rupp and Melvin Sitti

2020/21: Matthew Dennis, Kieran Dowell, Jordan Hugill, Bali Mumba, Orjan Nyland, Przemyslaw Placheta, Regan Riley, Daniel Sinani, Jacob Sorensen and Sebastian Soto

2021/22: Dylan Berry, Flynn Clarke, Kenny Coker, Dimitris Giannoulis, Liam Gibbs, Ben Gibson, Angus Gunn, Pierre Lees-Melou, Milot Rashica, Josh Sargent and Christos Tzolis

Edited by Declan

Yes Farke took the bullet for the poor results but surely Webbers decisions should be questioned?

I suspect we will struggle to get past or even near the embarrassing 21point total of 2 seasons ago which would then make Webbers position untenable surely? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

We bought 2 left wingers!

the Gianoulis thing is really annoying me. We need a left footed left back. 

I don't know how any manager on current form would pick Gilmour or Williams. Ok Gilmour gets in because Normann and Rupp are out, just, but Williams has now been chronic two games in a row and our best performance under Smith against Man Utd was when he wasn't available. 

Stuart Webber got us the funds to spend near on 60 mill , it's all well and good blaming him , but did he go too Greece to watch tzolis ? Did he go to Germany to watch sarge ? Did he go too France to watch lees melou ? Surely some level of blame must go to our scouts. Otbc😂

8 minutes ago, kingsway said:

Yes Farke took the bullet for the poor results but surely Webbers decisions should be questioned?

I suspect we will struggle to get past or even near the embarrassing 21point total of 2 seasons ago which would then make Webbers position untenable surely? 

I'm still not convinced we'll beat Derby's total yet 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Stuart Webber got us the funds to spend near on 60 mill , it's all well and good blaming him , but did he go too Greece to watch tzolis ? Did he go to Germany to watch sarge ? Did he go too France to watch lees melou ? Surely some level of blame must go to our scouts. Otbc😂

No, nobody did that's the problem with scouting via spreadsheets. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

That depends if we bother sending scouts to watch a player in these data-based days. This player Sargent runs more miles per game than anyone else in the Bundesliga. Who cares if he hardly ever scores or provides an assist - let's spaff nine million on him, shall we? Just look at the data!

2 hours ago, Cliff the Canary said:

Exactly a total overhaul wasn’t needed! £20m on a quality DM the rest on a couple of positions would have sufficed! Then use the loan market well, couldn’t have been worse than what we got!

Although for balance had we done that we'd currently have about 4 players fit for the starting eleven.

Im frustrated that we had money to spend  and only needed a quality cdm, and someone to push Pukki in terms of goals.

We needed to recruit sensibly and that hasnt happened at all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

That depends if we bother sending scouts to watch a player in these data-based days. This player Sargent runs more miles per game than anyone else in the Bundesliga. Who cares if he hardly ever scores or provides an assist - let's spaff nine million on him, shall we? Just look at the data!

This is the problem with modern day football , I'm sure nobody scouted the Murphy brothers otherwise we would not have got 12 mill for each of them.

Just now, Samwam27 said:

Im frustrated that we had money to spend  and only needed a quality cdm, and someone to push Pukki in terms of goals.

We needed to recruit sensibly and that hasnt happened at all

Exactly. We recruited for the sake of Webber's ego, not for the good of the football club.

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

Exactly. We recruited for the sake of Webber's ego, not for the good of the football club.

**** , as I said earlier scouts not doing there jobs properly !

The club needs to go on one of the biggest spending January’s in premier league history or Smith/Webber need to go 

they have just a few days to raise the capital 

58 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

**** , as I said earlier scouts not doing there jobs properly !

The scout responsible for it pissed off to Middlesbrough, thank God.