Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Not just football that’s corrupt

FIA making up the rules as they go along.

Dramatic ending, controversy…just clickbait. Sporting integrity…nope, that’s gone across so many sports unfortunately 

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Only 5 cars allowed to unlap?

Exactly, wtf was that about?

Well it’s simple…if they followed the rules they set up it would’ve taken past the checked flag to have the grid back in the right order. Can’t have that in these days of entertainment above all else.

Think/say what you like about Hamilton but he followed the rules and ran a race to win, and win comfortably he would have. Red Bull gambled as they had to to have any chance and then the governing body of the sport decided to hand the title to them

Edited by Fiery Zac

Not a massive Formula One fan but I did watch today, and my appetite for the sport has certainly diminished after that. They effectively had to decide who wins the title with the manner of the restart and they chose Verstappen. Even if they had chosen Hamilton, it would still have been a dark day for sport, but I think they chose the worst of the two options because Hamilton was clearly going to win the race before the safety car. 

That wasn't sport at the end; it was a sham and a farce.

• Like 2

Haven't been as interested in F1 for several years but I tuned into this race. I now remember why i stopped watching, its not a sport anymore, it's an entertainment business more akin to wrestling. 

• Like 1

The two racers on equal points set up to duke it out over the last lap of the last race of the season - yeah give me some more of that please. 

• Like 1

Sport, in nearly every format, has lost the plot.

It's not about what happens on the pitch anymore, it's all about the decisions made off it. .

If the people who run sport think this is what the paying public want to see, then they have seriously misjudged what sport is all about.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Sport, in nearly every format, has lost the plot.

It's not about what happens on the pitch anymore, it's all about the decisions made off it. .

If the people who run sport think this is what the paying public want to see, then they have seriously misjudged what sport is all about.

F1 VAR  is even worse than footballs.

• Haha 1

I think VAR in football has been good this year, the next issue is to tackle the fact that the rules inside and outside the penalty area are applied differently.  The incident with Ronaldo is currrently a penalty, but with a similiar incident at the half way line, it would not be given, and Ronaldo probably does not go down.

that was just a mess

6 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think VAR in football has been good this year, the next issue is to tackle the fact that the rules inside and outside the penalty area are applied differently.  The incident with Ronaldo is currrently a penalty, but with a similiar incident at the half way line, it would not be given, and Ronaldo probably does not go down.

that was just a mess

I take it you did see the penalties that were and were not given in the premier league yesterday?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I think VAR in football has been good this year

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

FIA making up the rules as they go along.

Dramatic ending, controversy…just clickbait. Sporting integrity…nope, that’s gone across so many sports unfortunately 

Not corrupt, but M Masi was obviously out of his depth, making it up as he went along and allowing himself to be hoodwinked by Horner.  He should be sacked immediately.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Justin time said:

I take it you did see the penalties that were and were not given in the premier league yesterday?

I did but they are marginal calls, we have far less leg breaking tackles, and really obvious mistakes.  The way they have switched the burden of proof has meant influencing the ref is critical again.  Yet better than it was.

The F1 stewards basically chucked the rules put of the window to gerrymander a 'next goal wins' scenario on the final lap

Farcical at best....probably criminal at worst.

Mercedes are quite rightly taking this to court.

i wonder if a factual 5 second penalty is going to be applied to Max, for overtaking under the safety car, Lewis wins, the material losses claimed by Mercedes’ disappear, and the FIA can claim they were applying the rules.  What a mess….  And misses the point

It should have been red flagged then both would have had a fair shot to win, this was handed to red bull. Feel sorry for Lewis he won today but lost it…….because of unfair practices by F1

Whatever happens, F1 has shot itself in the foot today - hugely promoted as a final day shootout that will have attracted extra millions worldwide into watching….and what do they see, a race won in utterly farcical conditions and (quite rightly) appeals afterwards.  I imagine those watching as a one off won’t bother again, and some fans will just decide that it’s turned ridiculous.  Give me Touring Car racing any day, far more exciting for an occasional watch. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Justin time said:

Spot on (pun intended). 6 of the 11 goals scored yesterday were pens. Football is broken.

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Whatever happens, F1 has shot itself in the foot today - hugely promoted as a final day shootout that will have attracted extra millions worldwide into watching….and what do they see, a race won in utterly farcical conditions and (quite rightly) appeals afterwards.  I imagine those watching as a one off won’t bother again, and some fans will just decide that it’s turned ridiculous.  Give me Touring Car racing any day, far more exciting for an occasional watch. 

Absolutely agree, love touring cars, brilliant series. It’s just such a farce, Verstappen wasn’t competitive all race! Till he was allowed on new soft tyres to win!

Verstappen was second best all race, that was not his race to win. Hamilton had it spot on and managed the whole race perfectly. Crashes happen and it gave Verstappen a sliver of an opportunity by getting fresh tyres and having a go at flying through the pack and attacking Hamiltons old tyres with one or two corners to go, maybe. Follow their own rules on reformation after safety car and fine, great, let’s get some excitement. But no, one ludicrous decision by the body supposedly running the ‘sport’ allows a driver outclassed on the day to, not only win the race but decide the whole championship. If by following their own rules, the race would’ve ended behind the safety car then so be it, thems the rules. Choosing entertainment and clickbait controversy over the correct outcome has now diminished the sport and makes me question if I’ll ever be that bothered to watch it again (not that they care, the world is talking about it, and will continue to watch).

Hamilton, Verstappen, the fans, F1 and sporting integrity deserved better. A shameful end to what was a very entertaining season.

• Like 2

I don’t think Masi will be there next year. To allow the five cars Lewis had over taken and not the rest and then allow the race restart was a travesty and though I’m a big McLaren fan I feel Mercedes have been targeted this season, the end result pretty much proves it from the rule changes at the beginning of this season to the farce at the end.

Still I’ll certainly be rooting for Norris and Russell next year, hopefully with a fair race director at the helm. End of m6 thoughts on this, but hope Mercedes get this appeal on second go!

My main problem with it is the inconsistency causing an uneven playing field. The not changing tyres (twice) was a tactical mistake/decision by Merc, but, by only allowing some of the cars through they were meaning that max could focus purely on attacking Lewis, had they let the others through then he would have also had sainz right behind him (also on fresh tyres?), Yes max was quicker than him, but anything can happen on a restart and that would have had an impact on max Vs Lewis.

Stopped following the sport when Nigel Mansell hung his racing gloves up. Full of charisma and one of the best drivers ever. 

Straight off to milk some cows after another start to finish victory. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

10 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

My main problem with it is the inconsistency causing an uneven playing field. The not changing tyres (twice) was a tactical mistake/decision by Merc, but, by only allowing some of the cars through they were meaning that max could focus purely on attacking Lewis, had they let the others through then he would have also had sainz right behind him (also on fresh tyres?), Yes max was quicker than him, but anything can happen on a restart and that would have had an impact on max Vs Lewis.

If they'd let all the cars through the race would almost certainly have finished behind the safety car.

It was a complete and utter farce. I'd say Masi's head must roll but he'll end up with a lucrative gig somewhere at Red Bull. Having stolen a title from Hamilton and then gift-wrapping it before handing it gleefully to Verstappen, he's earnt it.

There will always be an asterisk next to Verstappen's 2021 title. I suspect in 5-6 years, once he's legitimately won a title or several, he'll wish he was never given this one, as it will follow him round his entire career.

Basically they wanted to race and ignored the rules to have that racing. Safety cars, team mates blocking the opponent and races decided by pit strategy are all part of the sport. Hamiltons 11 second lead doesn't matter in that context because in the sport things like that happen. Just as easily as with 5 laps to go any of the drivers could have a mechanical failure or lose control at a corner.

But I agree with people that it's not right, but the sport for decades now has been about making it more exciting as people complain it's boring so I'm going with it was the right call. The only thing that is problematic is the unlikelihood(but not impossible) of a sudden race restart in Merecedes mind affecting their decision to not pit Hamilton for new tyres.

Both team principles are on the radio to Masi trying to put their case across. That should be stamped out.

I think Masi's time must be up. There also that 2 lap safety car 'race' at Spa as well. 

Mercedes to appeal to CAS, this will be overturned, FIA rules not followed.  Cheating by Masi and the stewards, heads will roll.  Mercedes could instigate legal action that could bankrupt F1.

Contrived finish will be overturned eventually.  Mercedes need to appeal to sport by Thursday when max crowned.  CAS appeal will follow.  Sponsors cannot be happy with the sport being hijacked by corrupt officials.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Mercedes to appeal to CAS, this will be overturned, FIA rules not followed.  Cheating by Masi and the stewards, heads will roll.  Mercedes could instigate legal action that could bankrupt F1.

Contrived finish will be overturned eventually.  Mercedes need to appeal to sport by Thursday when max crowned.  CAS appeal will follow.  Sponsors cannot be happy with the sport being hijacked by corrupt officials.

Or alternatively behind the scenes the FIA and liberty media give Merc a really sweet deal to just accept it and move on. Non-public veto to any rule changes or something similar would probably make them agree that it was a fair ruling...

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Or alternatively behind the scenes the FIA and liberty media give Merc a really sweet deal to just accept it and move on. Non-public veto to any rule changes or something similar would probably make them agree that it was a fair ruling...

It’s already happened, Hamilton decent enough sportsmanship has urged Mercedes to drop the challenge now, I believe the compromise will be that Masi will be moved on to a different position.

Come on McLaren and Norris next year! (Or Russell, if not those two then Sainz…….).