Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Tim Sherwood has his say..

I'm warming to this. Smith is undoubtedly the right kind of manager for our situation and he has done what we need, or might need in the next year or two - got a club promoted and kept it in the PL. Lampard has not done that. Nor has Knutsen. Will be a fascinating few days to see who we get.

Edited by lake district canary

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm warming to this. Smith is undoubtedly the right kind of manager for our situation and he has done what we need - kept a club in the PL. Lampard has not done that. Nor has Knutsen. Will be a fascinating few days to see who we get.

He kept Chelsea up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

He kept Chelsea up.

Not a great achievement in the scheme of things, given their players - and he didn't get them promoted and keep them up, which is more relevant.

• Like 1

I doubt that Webber will have such a short-sighted view, if one of the criteria in choosing the last manager had been "must have won promotion from the Championship" he would never have appointed Daniel Farke!!!

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm warming to this. Smith is undoubtedly the right kind of manager for our situation and he has done what we need, or might need in the next year or two - got a club promoted and kept it in the PL. Lampard has not done that. Nor has Knutsen. Will be a fascinating few days to see who we get.

Not saying one over the other, but there's factors in how and why managers have success and where exceptional players are involved you have to factor them in.  

Smith without Grealish is a very different proposition, a losing streak that's worse than our current record and with far greater players including England internationals, and proven finishers at this level.

He can't even play Emi to his strengths.

On the flip of that Lampard has brought Mason through who's gone on to lift champs league and play in euros finals.  Thing is, would he have progressed like that regardless of manager so it's no indication of Lampards ability either?  I Don't know.

However, I do believe that the players would respond very well with Lampard coming in, mainly because we're very midfield heavy and it's undoubtedly his area and has much experience to share with them.  Smith seems to looked a little lost this season by the touchline, just haven't a clue how Lampard would respond to being bottom of the table and 3-4 straight defeats - it's a massive unknown.

My man would've been Howe, so I'm sitting back and just putting trust in Webber for this.  It really boils down to who he thinks will work best within our club and the resources offered, and that trumps anything we can sit and discuss really.

But there's definitely a part of me that after shopping in basement bins it would be nice to bring a well established name into the club to give a lift.  Doesn't make them any more or less suited to the job, of course.  But as a player I'd certainly enjoy the prospect of working with a name of Lampard's stature, would give me a lift personally.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 2

I just hope the fanbase will see the next man in as the manager rather than a 'family member'. The cosy emotional nonsense surrounding Farke has to stop and a robust, tough football regime put in it's place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So let's appoint someone who has just lost 5 games on the trot ( we haven't).

It would be a massive backward step to appoint Smith or Russel Martin. Would prefer to have kept Farke than either of thsoe options.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Not saying one over the other, but there's factors in how and why managers have success and where exceptional players are involved you have to factor them in.  

Smith without Grealish is a very different proposition, a losing streak that's worse than our current record and with far greater players including England internationals, and proven finishers at this level.

He can't even play Emi to his strengths.

On the flip of that Lampard has brought Mason through who's gone on to lift champs league and play in euros finals.  Thing is, would he have progressed like that regardless of manager so it's no indication of Lampards ability either?  I Don't know.

However, I do believe that the players would respond very well with Lampard coming in, mainly because we're very midfield heavy and it's undoubtedly his area and has much experience to share with them.  Smith seems to looked a little lost this season by the touchline, just haven't a clue how Lampard would respond to being bottom of the table and 3-4 straight defeats - it's a massive unknown.

My man would've been Howe, so I'm sitting back and just putting trust in Webber for this.  It really boils down to who he thinks will work best within our club and the resources offered, and that trumps anything we can sit and discuss really.

You’ve offered up a much better reason for Lampard than a lot I’ve seen elsewhere (the point you make about the midfield), and I think you’re right about Mason Mount too. It’s indeed highly debatable. But people are talking like Mason Mount was some sort of street urchin with 2 left feet and Lampard turned him into the player he is today. Not buying that, he was and is a fabulous talent and any manager could have given him minutes. Regardless, I’m more interested in is he actually the guy to get us climbing the table, or is he wanted because people think it’ll make Norwich look respected and ‘big time’. I suspect the latter.

10 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Getting Smith feels like stirring someone else’s porridge

Is that similar to Dutch Ruddering?.....

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not a great achievement in the scheme of things, given their players - and he didn't get them promoted and keep them up, which is more relevant.

Still kept them up on a shoestring budget as they had a transfer embargo.

15 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I just hope the fanbase will see the next man in as the manager rather than a 'family member'. The cosy emotional nonsense surrounding Farke has to stop and a robust, tough football regime put in it's place.

A big part of Farke's success was because he engendered a huge feeling of goowill amongst most of our supporters and throughout the club - he brought everyone together...at least until this season. To have that emotion in a club is very important as without it, football is just a cold business. If that is what you want, that's up to you, but I would prefer someone like Farke, who has the gift of bringing people together in a common cause by showing he cares.

• Like 1

Couldn’t think of a worse person to be honest. Just scrapped into the play offs with a side that should have won the league, then should actually have been relegated if the laws of the game were followed.

thankfully it won’t be him as Norwich tend to plan ahead and he was still in a job when we sacked Farke.

Edited by birchfest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Regardless, I’m more interested in is he actually the guy to get us climbing the table, or is he wanted because people think it’ll make Norwich look respected and ‘big time’. I suspect the latter.

It's the latter for sure, we've been slammed for not investing in experience and will just go straight down for it, and so far that's coming true - a second time. Is it through lack of experience though?!

And, Is it so wrong to take on board such criticisms and place them in consideration when making a new appointment?  I hand on heart don't know as I'm so down in the dumps about it all I'm naturally looking for a short-term hit, as an addict would.

Butler said on Norfolk Saturday night that he'd love Lampard to come as he'd love to be able to interview him after matches, an England international etc.  And that probably sums up the reaction of most people in and around the club, there's no real substance based on his ability as a manager.

For me, Looking at the table with Farke gone, I'm no longer wondering where the next points could come, but rather it looks achievable to pull this back with a few wins.  And so my mind is rapidly shifting more to the short-term view and the new manager effect and whether we could ride that wave. 

The question is, would the lift of someone like Lampard coming in generate the extra percentages from our players?  And most importantly would it bed in to something more permanent? 

I have no doubt that the likes of Cantwell, Gilmour, Normann, Lees-Melou would be fuelled with him as there's class and experience already.  But what if Lampard has a minimum expectation based on his own standards and internally becomes a bit Roy Keane with the fringes?

To my mind, Lampard only works if the initial response yields a good points tally in the opening games. But maybe that's doing him a dis-service.   Really, not a clue at this point, reminds me of buying a new TV where I'd assess the pros and cons for weeks (months lol), and shortlist based on a fear of getting the 'wrong' tv... Ultimately a deal would come up and I'd jump on it in 5 mins and be perfectly happy.  Because after purchase what matters is how that TV works in my living room, nothing else.

Webber has a system, and perhaps along slightly similar lines, I think it's going to be based on how well he can work with any given manager rather than their previous experience.  The shortlist would be devised via a more statistically/experienced based filter of who's out there.

This is why I can only sit back and put full trust in Webber, it is a little dis-heartening when you see so much negativity placed at Lampard though.  I think his name and the Chelsea/Terry connection is as much against him, as for him.  If he were an unknown the perception would change where people who dislike him would be heralding him as a talent as Robins/Martin/Knutsen, and those who want a name would saying they don't know him. 

Gonna stop babbling now as I'm winding myself up.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I thought Webber had informed the board of his decision regarding DF on Thursday ? We are always told Webber would have a succession plan for the replacing of staff to ensure a smooth transition but Smith was not sacked until Sunday so if he is in consideration for the job that rather flies in the face of having a plan in the event of DF going for whatever reason.

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I thought Webber had informed the board of his decision regarding DF on Thursday ? We are always told Webber would have a succession plan for the replacing of staff to ensure a smooth transition but Smith was not sacked until Sunday so if he is in consideration for the job that rather flies in the face of having a plan in the event of DF going for whatever reason.

I think the succession plan has always been Russell Martin. 

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

We are always told Webber would have a succession plan for the replacing of staff to ensure a smooth transition but Smith was not sacked until Sunday so if he is in consideration for the job that rather flies in the face of having a plan

I don't know how the system works but is it possible Smith's agent got in contact with us with his availability, foreseeing it as a better move than spending time out of the game and returning in at championship level?  Irons in the fire approach.

We're probably a good proposition for Smith who's dropping down and wanting to prove himself at a club that could provide 4 year security, than Lampard who's on the way up and probably wants a better kitty or would be looking at a stepping stone appointment.

i.e. who's hat has been thrown in and who's hat had we planned to chase.

Smith since Terry left is like Lambert without Culverhouse, no thanks. In fact out of all the names listed this would **** me off the most, may as well just kept Farke. 

Mr Smith?....No thanks, I may as well ditch my Samsung trendy smartphone and purchase instead an old analogue Motorola mobile with an extendable aerial....

We need a strong character forward thinking fresh impetus and influential bloke. A bloke that's sly, clever, motivated, astute, well 'ard and who will hit the ground running....Ideally a bl00dy 'Get Some!' kinda manager.....A manager who knows his sh!t and has a presence and who will be respected by all and not suffering floundering fools gladly. An inspirational guy that our struggling squad will jump through hoops for and the whole team will hold him with the highest of esteem and be in admiration of. A bloke who isn't a Tiny Tim 'Tiptoe through the Tulips' or a 'There there there just you have a day off son'....bloke.....

A guy that tells the team the opposition are just eleven blokes who also sh!t, fart, pick their noses an' scratch their ar$es and who just think we'll be a stroll in the park an' a easy walkover.....A bloke with an aura who can speak our lingo and not be a pretentious plank who sits on a bucket pretending to be Rodin's Thinker.....A manager that can instil the attitude in our squad the necessary influential drive and determination akin to what Stormin' Normann displayed against Brentford.....A bloke if invited to our majority-shareholding duo for dinner eats his peas with a knife, belches like a viking warrior when he's full - and mops his gravy up with a slice of angle iron...A geezer that wears a titanium skull on a battleship chain around his bull-neck!.....

A 'No more Mr Nice Guy!'......"GNAAAARRR!".....

Maybe I should have put a trigger warning at the head of my future coach rant?.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Is that the same Dean Smith who thought it was appropriate to employ a well known racist? 

No thanks 

?

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

A big part of Farke's success was because he engendered a huge feeling of goowill amongst most of our supporters and throughout the club - he brought everyone together...at least until this season. To have that emotion in a club is very important as without it, football is just a cold business. If that is what you want, that's up to you, but I would prefer someone like Farke, who has the gift of bringing people together in a common cause by showing he cares.

It take all kinds but to say he brought 'everyone together' is an overstatement.

Maybe this 'group hugging' nonsense is just a security thing for some.

47 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Mr Smith?....No thanks, I may as well ditch my Samsung trendy smartphone and purchase instead an old analogue Motorola mobile with an extendable aerial....

We need a strong character forward thinking fresh impetus and influential bloke. A bloke that's sly, clever, motivated, astute, well 'ard and who will hit the ground running....Ideally a bl00dy 'Get Some!' kinda manager.....A manager who knows his sh!t and has a presence and who will be respected by all and not suffering floundering fools gladly. An inspirational guy that our struggling squad will jump through hoops for and the whole team will hold him with the highest of esteem and be in admiration of. A bloke who isn't a Tiny Tim 'Tiptoe through the Tulips' or a 'There there there just you have a day off son'....bloke.....

A guy that tells the team the opposition are just eleven blokes who also sh!t, fart, pick their noses an' scratch their ar$es and who just think we'll be a stroll in the park an' a easy walkover.....A bloke with an aura who can speak our lingo and not be a pretentious plank who sits on a bucket pretending to be Rodin's Thinker.....A manager that can instil the attitude in our squad the necessary influential drive and determination akin to what Stormin' Normann displayed against Brentford.....A bloke if invited to our majority-shareholding duo for dinner eats his peas with a knife, belches like a viking warrior when he's full - and mops his gravy up with a slice of angle iron...A geezer that wears a titanium skull on a battleship chain around his bull-neck!.....

A 'No more Mr Nice Guy!'......"GNAAAARRR!".....

Maybe I should have put a trigger warning at the head of my future coach rant?.....

That brought a metaphorical tear to my eye.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

The same thought crossed my mind, unless of course Webber knew that Smith was about to be sacked 😀........

8 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

It take all kinds but to say he brought 'everyone together' is an overstatement.

Maybe this 'group hugging' nonsense is just a security thing for some.

Really? Ok, but maybe there is a strength to be got from togetherness that you are missing.  I'll never forget the rapport he and his players had with the fans in those first couple of seasons particularly, it was a real strength compared to what other clubs had.