Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Dimi can "see the relegation coming"

We won’t storm the championship next year as we won’t have Buendia to help us do it. Simple as that. That’s why staying up this season is more important than ever and why the fact we’re making a mess of it is even more galling. 

I'm baffled as to how a club can storm the championship then completely capitulate. It’s always boom and bust with city and we some now need to break that cycle.

26 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Aarons is Still a very good player 

BUT i think he is now being asked not to play his natural game 

if i was him i would move as soon as i could if Farke is going to stay never seen him look like the way he is now looks half the player we have seen before 

Aarons literally spoke last week about how much he prefers this shape we're playing, and how it's benefitting him in an attacking sense too.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Farke is in control, Webber is in control, it's the players who need to step up and work better together, which has been the problem all along.  Everyone can see relegation coming if we carry on like we are, so that is no surprise. 

My opinion, for what it's worth is that the arrival of Williams/Gilmour/Kabak/Lees-Melou/Rashica/Sargent/Tzolis and the loss of Vrancic/Stiepermann/Skipp/Buendia/Tettey  etc has upset the balance of the squad in terms of the togetherness and unity which we have had up to now.  it is a whole new ball game and we have had to build a new team almost from scratch and do it in the full glare and pressure of a PL already full of good established teams.

In that sense this rocky start is not a surprise and yes, imo people should keep a little bit patient with it and give it a bit more time. I grant you the performance on Saturday was terrible - we just looked a joke team - but if the penny is going to drop with the players that they have to sort it out, it will have dropped on Saturday. They were rubbish and they should be ambarrassed they were so bad. 

A manager can only do so much. A sporting director can only do so much. Its the players who have to learn - and learn fast.

I tried that argument with my Watford supporting mate. He was sure they had more new players on the pitch than us and he was right. We started 4 they started 5 we had 1 come if the bench they had 2. The problem is not the number of new players it's not replacing Skipp. 

Don't replace skipp - defence looks weak. 

Defence looks weak - go to 5 at the back. 

5 at the back- can't play the winger's we have signed. 

Can't play the winger's we have signed- toothless. 

It's not the numbers it replacing the DM that screened our defense. Norman is very good but he is not a defensive midfielder. If we had a half decent DM at least we could leave this 5 at the back behind, get some of the attacking signings on and look like a team that wants to win a game even if we can't. It was more embarrassing parking the bus at Burnley than losing 7 0 to Chelsea. 

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Aarons is Still a very good player 

BUT i think he is now being asked not to play his natural game 

He's one of the few who should benefit in this system, he has license to run the line better, with the additional CB for cover.  But he's not taking it.

In my opinion, He knows there's a **** show going on and thus protecting himself in a non-committal 'avoid the criticism' way.  He isn't a fool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I tried that argument with my Watford supporting mate. He was sure they had more new players on the pitch than us and he was right. We started 4 they started 5 we had 1 come if the bench they had 2. The problem is not the number of new players it's not replacing Skipp. 

Don't replace skipp - defence looks weak. 

Defence looks weak - go to 5 at the back. 

5 at the back- can't play the winger's we have signed. 

Can't play the winger's we have signed- toothless. 

It's not the numbers it replacing the DM that screened our defense. Norman is very good but he is not a defensive midfielder. If we had a half decent DM at least we could leave this 5 at the back behind, get some of the attacking signings on and look like a team that wants to win a game even if we can't. It was more embarrassing parking the bus at Burnley than losing 7 0 to Chelsea. 

Then why haven't we tried Sorensen? He seems the only player we have who has the discipline and lack of ego to play the role Skipp played. OK, it might have failed, but we wouldn't be any worse off than we are now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Then why haven't we tried Sorensen? He seems the only player we have who has the discipline and lack of ego to play the role Skipp played. OK, it might have failed, but we wouldn't be any worse off than we are now.

Agree completely. When your struggling, players not on the pitch always go up in people's opinions as they are not part of the shambles that is on the pitch but yes Sorenson should be given a go. It's players in their natural position. Is he as good as skipp probably not, would he offer more cover to the back line probably yes. In my opinion he's the only real option we have in that position so why not play him. Get rid of the 5 at the back and get some attacking intent back in the team. Be hung for a sheep as a lamb and all that. 

Edited by Canaries north
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Aarons literally spoke last week about how much he prefers this shape we're playing, and how it's benefitting him in an attacking sense too.

He is not playing like it !! 

• Like 1

Well if Dimi does leave after one full season with us that will be what was it now £7 million well spent.

54 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

@Jim Smith is there a link to this?

@yellowrider120 is there a link to your Delia quote?

It’s the lead article on the pinkun Nutty except the headline has been altered and the first couple of paragraphs hastily changed since this morning to now deny its true. Someone obviously put a call in to Archant 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s the lead article on the pinkun Nutty except the headline has been altered and the first couple of paragraphs hastily changed since this morning to now deny its true. Someone obviously put a call in to Archant 

Who though?  The article doesn't carry any quotes, so was it Dimi, his agent, or the club.  This rebuttal without attribution ain't worth the click bait advertising it draws.

57 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well if Dimi does leave after one full season with us that will be what was it now £7 million well spent.

What do you think he’s going to do, leave on a free ?

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-transfer-rumours-dimi-giannoulis-greek-international-8440720

This one?

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

What do you think he’s going to do, leave on a free ?

He won't be sold for £7 million that is for sure.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Yep. As I said, it’s a bit different now to the version that was up for most of the morning. 

Did the other one have the quotes?

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Did the other one have the quotes?

It’s still in there Nutty. Half way down above the tweet. It’s no doubt been fed to the Greek media by his agent to try and drum up interest in January. It wasn’t a direct quote from the player it came via an unspecified third party. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Then he won't be sold. We turned down £13 million in the summer. If he were to go, it would be for around the amount we paid if not more.

8 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

So can 27 ,000 who attend every game.

Actually it's 26,998. The other 2 either can't see it or are unprepared to do anything to prevent it. Either way they should do one and clear off back to Wales.

39 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Then he won't be sold. We turned down £13 million in the summer. If he were to go, it would be for around the amount we paid if not more.

That was a rumour and not a fact.

16 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

57 minutes ago, hogesar said:
1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hmmm. Facts,  rumour,, opinion .  Sauce The  Gander Goose what's is for the sauce. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

57 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd imagine we can probably make a reasonable profit on him if we sell him. 

Go on commit yourself, more or less than 7 million exactly?

Although has far more evidence than your nonsense claim.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'd imagine we can probably make a reasonable profit on him if we sell him. 

I would think so too.

11 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

So can 27 ,000 who attend every game.

And everyone who watches sky sports and match of the day 🤣. On a serious note I love dimi and I hope he doesn't get dropped for Williams. Players should be able to talk freely about how they feel and what they see day in day out. We live in a free country. Well clearly not anymore. 

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Farke is in control, Webber is in control, it's the players who need to step up and work better together, which has been the problem all along…..

…..A manager can only do so much. A sporting director can only do so much. Its the players who have to learn - and learn fast.

Honestly don’t understand where you’re coming from with these points.

Farke and Webber are in control? We planned to be bottom of the league? playing absolutely turgid football? without the DM we obviously needed then? changing formations twice from what was successful last year?  Then ending up with our most expensive acquisitions bench warming because of it?

If this is the two of them in control hate to think how much worse it could get.

The players have been the problem all along? Who bought these players and built this squad? Who coaches and manages them? I think the players do look like they aren’t putting the effort in personally but maybe their leaders should take some responsibility for that?

As a manager of people not sure anyone would look too kindly on me if I blamed my people for all the problems in our performance. If we aren’t performing as a team it’s my job to sort that out, that’s universal whether football or any organisation.

What’s clear to me is the Sporting Director and Manager have not done nearly enough/made some big errors and they need to own that as much as the players. 

12 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Dimi has been so badly treated this season it really pisses me off.  He puts his head above the parapet and gets shot down for it, he's continually driving and working on that pitch yet is named and finger pointed by Farke at the end of matches for mistakes that happen all over the pitch.

Aarons on the other hand operates at 50% and is the golden boy.  He barely attacks anymore, and when he does he's not getting past people, and when defending he allows so much space for players to come in to the box and either cut in or cross.  But as he's not committing it's not so obvious the mistakes being made vs Dimi.

People forget that in the 3-5-2 these are players that need to be pushing up the field, it's the whole concept that saw Conte gain success, which Farke is seeking.

Same with Sorenson, criminally ignored for first team, yet Rupp strolls in like he's got a Disneyworld season pass.

Sick of it.

You really believe Dimi is doing better than Aarons. Wow!!!

16 hours ago, Commonsense said:

You really believe Dimi is doing better than Aarons. Wow!!!

If you read what I said, Dimi is driving harder at the offensive wingback as required in this 3-5-2 system.

Aarons is very much playing safe, and my feeling is that he's protecting his own reputation than doing as required for the system to work.  He knows that personally he risks being exposed for making mistakes/being out of position as the 3 CB's and Midfield are not covering.  i.e. we're ****e.

So, I don't know how or what you define as 'Doing better", as that's your phrase which you've tried attributing to me. 

In my opinion we don't need bottle jobs looking out for their own reputations, so put your camp little 'wow' on the end of that if you want.

On 26/10/2021 at 10:05, Google Bot said:

Dimi has been so badly treated this season it really pisses me off.  He puts his head above the parapet and gets shot down for it, he's continually driving and working on that pitch yet is named and finger pointed by Farke at the end of matches for mistakes that happen all over the pitch.

Aarons on the other hand operates at 50% and is the golden boy.  He barely attacks anymore, and when he does he's not getting past people, and when defending he allows so much space for players to come in to the box and either cut in or cross.  But as he's not committing it's not so obvious the mistakes being made vs Dimi.

People forget that in the 3-5-2 these are players that need to be pushing up the field, it's the whole concept that saw Conte gain success, which Farke is seeking.

Same with Sorenson, criminally ignored for first team, yet Rupp strolls in like he's got a Disneyworld season pass.

Sick of it.

Tzolis stealing that penalty should have been a telling off in the dressing room and £500 fine for the xmas party pot, didn't need to be a rant to the media and then an apparent shunning.

Need a manager to come in and wipe the slate clean.